By ImperialWalker
I am currently starting my trap from CountSpatula and he gives the option of doors that close on the centre line or off centre. He claims that the original traps closed off-centre and while I am still scouring the forums for information, I have yet to come across any evidence as such.

I am wondering what everyone feels is the correct trap door configuration and what evidence there is out there to support one config over the other.

Thanks!
By tobycj
Damster117 covered this in his build thread here, and ended up with the view that off centre is correct. He and Barison82 did a ton of research into this, so I'd consider it very reliable.
By Kingpin
I can't say I ever recall seeing a screen/production-used Trap prop that opened off center on the striped side. Off-center on the underside? Definitely:

Here's the best images I could find of the various screen/production-used Trap prop doors:

Washington D.C. Planet Hollywood

New York Planet Hollywood

By ImperialWalker
Interesting!

This is what has me confused. If we look at the files provided by CountSpatula, there are two options.

The doors on the left are off-centre on the striped side, resulting in the doors being equal when opened. The doors on the right are the centred version which result in the seam being equal, but the doors being unequal when opened.

https://imgur.com/a/hqu8eSx (sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed images from Imgur)

Based on the thread (and Count) there are at least three people who believe the doors were off-centre. However, based on the images posted by Kingpin (many I've seen, some I haven't), it does seem to me as well that the doors are indeed centred.

I am confused which one is the more accurate one to print. I'm also confused as to why if the doors are centred, they don't appear to be different heights when open on the images above.

Or, am I looking at this entire thing incorrectly?
By Kingpin
While it's possible there's a prop out there I've not seen where the striped side is unequal, at the moment I'm included to believe the uneven design in the printing files is a misinterpretation of the design of the underside of the doors - which was likely designed to prevent them opening the wrong way, and drooping into the Trap cartridge.

Edit:

This could be the source of the uneven doors, the rendering Stefan made in his plans has an uneven central line:

Stefan's Ghost Trap Plans
By ImperialWalker
I seem to remember hearing Countspatula saying that his plans were based off Stefan's plans. If I am remembering correctly, he said that in one of the Tested videos.

So if the doors are indeed centre aligned, then they must be uneven when open (one is longer than the other)?

I can't see this with my eyes, but it could be perspective messing with things. Or, the other possibility is that the 3D files are incorrectly modelled in both?
By abritinthebay
Long story short: every available reference shows the screen used traps have a centerline on the *striped* side as centered.
By countspatula
Hi all - Countspatula here! Yes, I was leaning toward the door centerline being slightly off-center - I'm not dead set on that and happy to discuss - which is part of the reason I added the fully centered doors to the 3D files. I would have to go back to my notes for detailed info but my reasoning at the time was:

- I used the Photoshop measuring tool on as many production trap pictures as I could find. On most of them the measuring tool consistently came up with one door being very slightly wider. This was driving me crazy and I was wondering why that is.

- I figured there was a good chance that production may have cut identical door blanks then cut the overlapping tongue after the fact, which would make the top area of one door slightly wider than the other.

- The only traps I can remember measuring exact same door width was on ones that had non-opening wooden doors/stunt traps.

- Worth noting is that my slightly offset center line is not extreme - it's about .1" off-center

To illustrate - even center line on top - my off-center on bottom

End view of doors - my slightly off-center version (bottom) could be milled out of identical door blanks - they are overall the same width. The fully-centered ones (top) will have to have a different, wider blank made.

This is all based off my observations, I'm sure others know more than I do!
By Nuclearjungle
It's apparent from the Propbay GB1 trap auction photos that the doors on that one are asymmetrical on the striped side. With the trap handle and foster connector pointing toward you, the right door is wider on the outside. This may not be the case on GB2 traps.
By westies14
The GB1 hero traps are asymmetrical on top. The GB1 belt hanger/smoker and traps produced by the GB2 prop shop (which are basically fiberglass shells cast from Ray's GB1 belt hanger) don't actually have opening doors - but they do insinuate a separation line down the actual center.
Cole Funstuff liked this
By countspatula
tobycj wrote: January 4th, 2021, 2:25 am Damster117 covered this in his build thread here, and ended up with the view that off centre is correct. He and Barison82 did a ton of research into this, so I'd consider it very reliable.
Yes - took me a while to find it but here's where CPU64 did a CAD overlay showing they are very slightly offset.
viewtopic.php?p=4887450#p4887450

My doors aren't perfect - I am in the process of updating a lot of the 3D files in my kit and the doors are getting some minor updates too.
By ImperialWalker
countspatula wrote: January 5th, 2021, 12:15 pm
My doors aren't perfect - I am in the process of updating a lot of the 3D files in my kit and the doors are getting some minor updates too.
Awww, man!! I am just finishing the doors after 7 days of printing! :D

This is great news and thanks for dropping by to add your thoughts.

I think there is good evidence the doors on the G1 trap are indeed off-centre. Subtle, but it does seem to make sense based on the information.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]