Hey everyone!

This has been something of a fun research project that has lasted off and on for 10 plus years for me!

The Yellow Bar Ghost Trap has been something of a debate in the community for years now. The most recent theory is that it started off having yellow bars in the earliest shots made for the film and then it was decided to paint the bars red shortly after.

In this shot the yellow bars are seen on the side. One thing to point out right away is that you can also see the bracket on the same side that was believed to be for hanging the pedal / cable. Which brings me to my next point.

You can see here the bracket again being held in by a black screw. The yellow stripe pattern on the doors is fairly unique to this trap. The tape for the stripes was just added and not cut down the middle of doors. You can also see that this is after the bars have been painted red.

So this is where the story of this trap ends right? NO! Like most props from GB1 they were later retrofitted to the GB2 look. So where did this prop end up? I believe it was used as a belt hanger like it was in the first film. But, the really interesting stuff happens years later.

In Washington DC at the Planet Hollywood, this prop shows up on display.

Strikingly similar in size and proportions, I thought this stunt trap could be a possible match!

After digging through some more photos of it, I noticed something.

You can see in this shot, the filled in screw hole for the bracket!

Im still digging but the more I dig, the more Im convinced that this trap is the Infamous Yellow Bar Trap. On a side note, this trap recently came up for auction and theres even better pictures out there.

What are your thoughts?

-Michael
alphabeta001 liked this
It's tricky, that could be the very same prop... But there's the chance a few wooden Traps like that were built for the film... What doesn't help is it's been given a refit so it can appear in Ghostbusters II, muddying the water a little and obscuring some of the 1984 details.
Chiliarch liked this
Kingpin wrote:It's tricky, that could be the very same prop... But there's the chance a few wooden Traps like that were built for the film... What doesn't help is it's been given a refit so it can appear in Ghostbusters II, muddying the water a little and obscuring some of the 1984 details.
I agree. It’s hard to know for sure how many were made. There’s at least 4 of the stunt traps that are still around that I’ve been able to find. This one seemed to have more details matching the Yellow Bar trap than the others.

An interesting fact in the case of this one, typically you would have multiple copies of a prop to use if one gets damaged. Not only was this damaged during filming, but they used it for promo shots while it was clearly missing pieces. Lol

I also have been fascinated with the construction of this prop. Looks like they started with a box and added fins to it. I wish I could see this one up close in person.
Kingpin liked this

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]