Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By fearless-freak
the scene where dana barret goes to see the ghostbusters for the first time and bill murry jumps the rail to greet her, if you listen carefully you can hear his foot clip the rail
By gold333
Ballroom busting slimer scene.

Egon: Venkman, shorten your stream, I don't want my face burned off.

The VFX SHOULD have shown Egon's stream arcing up and bending very close to his face (similar to some animations in GBTVG), due to Venkman (unsurprisingly) having set the wand positron output to the highest setting as soon as they gave it to him and globally told him what dials and levers did what.

Venkman's output is litrally pushing Egon's stream closer to his face. Although the VFX could have been better they do show the different lengths of the two streams in that shot.

Egon and Stantz know that the standard output is enough to confine ghosts but Venkman being Venkman has to set his to max power as soon as he gets it in his hands. I never realised before how much sense that made from a story point of view.

The shot then cuts to Bill Murray looking down at his wand and cuts away just as he lifts his hand to "adjust" something. Bill Murray probably wasn't told that the "stream" output was controlled by the silver dial on the top left of the wand and probably just mimed something.

Ivan Reitman then cut the scene just to leave it ambiguous where Venkman's hand actually went to "shorten the stream".

It's love for the smallest details in the equipment and technology that made me love the art of this movie.

Reitman got it wrong too.

Only after watching the 4k blueray numerous times, I began to notice the almost "falling apart" props. Caution striping stickers coming off the traps, wand handles worn down so the illusion of them being heavy duty metal equipment is lost and you can see they are just wood props.

Lol, when Stantz hands Winston the traps after he says "welcome aboard!" You can see the traps arent even closed, the doors are open!

I hope a future remastered edition fixes these issues. Also the white light on Stantz' pack in the Sedgewick which wasnt a light but worn off paint.

Blueray hurt the immersion factor on GB from a prop, equipment standpoint I'd say, due to the poor workmanship.
By djsparky
Also, in the films defense. This was right before VHS. Movies were made to be shown once on a big screen. No one thought much about people being able to watch them at home, let alone pause and look for details. Continuity didn't have to be that highly controlled either, since everything was meant for a fleeting 2 hour movie that was only in theaters for a few months then gone. Like a candle being blown out.

Movies now watch more for continuity and often add little easter eggs in the details because they know how technology will be used. But before home video, no one really dreamed anyone would be able to zoom in and see crystal clear images, paused at home. So much detail was overlooked because you didn't have to worry about those things. Especially on movies that were filmed on very tight schedules. It's just good to think about the mentality of the crews back then.
Smeghead liked this
By gold333
Agreed.

But.

The discrepancy is just painful. As the instruction manual for the proton pack (on deviant art at the moment) that will come out soon will show...

The prop builders did such an in depth job on these props, it's a shame that the screen shows a worn down, falling apart, malfunctioning representation of them.

Like the 5 circles of output on the bar graph on the wand, the way they are linked to the various activation switches and the setting for the positron output (silver dial on wand)... All of these are interlinked and their functionality is interdependent and thought through... It's such a shame the production lets them down.
By d_osborn
gold333 wrote:Agreed.

But.

The discrepancy is just painful. As the instruction manual for the proton pack (on deviant art at the moment) that will come out soon will show...

The prop builders did such an in depth job on these props, it's a shame that the screen shows a worn down, falling apart, malfunctioning representation of them.

Like the 5 circles of output on the bar graph on the wand, the way they are linked to the various activation switches and the setting for the positron output (silver dial on wand)... All of these are interlinked and their functionality is interdependent and thought through... It's such a shame the production lets them down.
Personally, I'm glad Reitman and the gang decided do put more focus on the comedy and storytelling rather than needless prop details. I think what was shown on screen was perfect. Good enough to inspire fans for thirty years, anyway.
By Demon Vice Commander
gold333 wrote:...wand handles worn down so the illusion of them being heavy duty metal equipment is lost and you can see they are just wood props.
None of the props were made of wood (except the "motherboards" for the GB1 stunt packs). Considering that the production crew had only six weeks to design, build, and ship both the car and equipment out to New York, I'd say they did a pretty amazing job.
By gold333
So why do the handles of the wand in GB1 show an oak brown shade on the blue ray but not on the old dvd? It's because the wood of the prop designs show through at the native resolution of the film stock.

Also the trap, some angles show clear wood grain (even though painted black).

The movie was made in '84. They thought they could get away with this lack of attention to detail and they did, back in 84.

But at 4k in 2016 the props show their true makeup.
By d_osborn
gold333 wrote:So why do the handles of the wand in GB1 show an oak brown shade on the blue ray but not on the old dvd? It's because the wood of the prop designs show through at the native resolution of the film stock.
Aren't the grips transparent brown resin?
By gold333
d_osborn wrote:
gold333 wrote:So why do the handles of the wand in GB1 show an oak brown shade on the blue ray but not on the old dvd? It's because the wood of the prop designs show through at the native resolution of the film stock.
Aren't the grips transparent brown resin?
Oops, you're probably right. Seeing as they looked brown, and the trap had wooden pieces, I thought they must have been wood as well.
By fearless-freak
the ballroom scene as they close the door to bust slimer and Ray grins and also the placement of the heads as the peek round the corner is very Marx brothers
By Ghostlover
Sorry, I don`t have much time to read all posts here so if it repeats, so sorry.. I noticed that when Dana is "strapped" to the chair and pulled into the kitchen, you can clearly see the track in the floor upon which the chair is riding.... =)
By gold333
The very first second you see Onionhead/slimer.

He's pouring food from a plate into his mouth, but it's not going down as fast as he would like, so he bites the whole plate into pieces.
By deadderek
Never noticed in Ghostbusters 2 in the "jogger ghost" scene that the trap was half buried in to the ground.

Wafflerobot liked this
By Travis Burrell
MrsRayStantz wrote:I didn't notice Ron Jeremy until about 5 years ago and I've been watching it since I was 3. Of course I wouldn't of known who he was till middle or high school. But still how did I miss that?
Actually I had just picked up on that last year. lol. Never knew who he was all the times I had watched it all those years.

I have been getting a LOT more of the Adult Humor in The Real Ghostbusters since Ive been rewatching all of them again.
I just finally noticed what April O'neal was saying in the first Turtles movie when she said to the foot clan "What? Am I behind on my Sony payments again?"
By Travis Burrell
deadderek wrote:Never noticed in Ghostbusters 2 in the "jogger ghost" scene that the trap was half buried in to the ground.

That makes sense. lol. I always thought it was a skinnier trap like what they used in the Jewelry Store scene.
By Travis Burrell
bustinforjesus wrote:When I was building my pack I was looking at the movie and noticed the in the scene where there about to get on the elevator in the hotel. The shockmount on ray's pack is sticking up. Almost like he backed against something and bent it.

I found this pic in the reference section to show what I'm talking about .....
I noticed it just last month when I was watching them again!.
By Travis Burrell
turkisproverb wrote:
newtype748 wrote:I never noticed that the cop that tells them the mayor wants to see them in the first movie is the same actor who played Carl Winslow. I've seen this movie too many times to count and I just noticed it today.

It's a semi-well known fact that half the police in Film are played by him. Die Hard anyone?
YEP! Ive noticed its been HIM or ERNIE HUDSON playing the cop in films/TV. lol.
By alexau
Hey everyone,

I have a suggestion for the forum.
Right now there is no way to tell which topics I have already read other than remembering. Not a problem now, but will be very soon hopefully, when there are a lot more topics.
Clicking "mark topics read" does not change the appearance of topic titles whatsoever.

Cheers,
Ash
By Kingpin
Topics that haven't been read are noted with a full-colour no-ghost logo, topics that have had their latest posts seen by you show their logo in black and white/greyscale.

Are these logos not showing up when you're viewing the forum? (It happens to me occasionally, but usually sorts itself out)
By Winston1986
I've never noticed until a few years ago that in the beginning Ghostbusters 2 when Dana leaves Jonosh after he asks her if he has bad breath, she makes a disgusted face leaving and whispers, "Poo!" Right after when Vigo is trying to come out of the painting he picks his nose.

Also in the same film when Peter asks Ray, "You're not sleeping with it are you Ray?" Egon has an ashamed look on his face which both Peter and Winston notice.
Peter: Oh you!
Winston: It's always the quiet ones.
Which is in response to Egon's expression.
By Wade Haddock
When I went to see GB1 this weekend at the theater I noticed that through most of the film Peter is wearing two different elbow pads. One has the black elastic and one doesn't.ImageImage
By Coover5
It's been years since I've been active on this board. Life just got in the way. Glad to find this page still active.

I'm still watching Ghostbusters and noticing new things. I watch it more on VHS now because I can't help but notice many of the flaws revealed in the DVD and Blu Ray releases. I haven't really noticing anything in a scene but I did pick up on how scientific this one seems in comparison to the reboot. Dan Aykroyd's in depth history and research really play a part in this.
deadderek liked this
By Coover5
Admittedly this isn't related to missing something in the film but I feel it fits.

Every time I'd visit my grandma's house she would invite my family to rummage through the basement and take home whatever we liked. She lived in that house for 20 years and the invitation stood for just as long. She passed away in 2013 and we had been slowly going through every nook and cranny of the place. This year I found something that had been there since 1993. Something I had spent years looking for. So how did I miss it?

Kingpin, Wafflerobot liked this
By roguespectre
This has sort of been bugging me, but when Egon and Peter are touring the firehouse with real estate lady. I know this is not the same actress, but she looks suspiciously like the "two weeks" lady from the original Total Recall.
By Winston1986
I was going to make a topic about this but I decided to put it in here. Watching Ghostbusters 2 several times I recently thought about the fact the mood slime seems rather inconsistent in the Courtroom scene. Like it didn't start growing when Ray yelled at the Con Ed guy on the stand it or all the times when the judge yelled, "Shut up!"
JurorNo.2 liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]