Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
I'd like to get copies of the front pages for the original USA Today and NY Post covers that were used to make the mock-ups seen in GB1. My local library doesn't keep copies, microfilm or actual paper, going back to 1984. Maybe if someone here has access to, and a library card for, a big library - like the NY Public library, for example - that WOULD have a huge catalog of old magazines and newspapers, you can get me (and by association, all fans - since I'd post it to my site) readable copies of the real front pages of both newspapers. And, yes, I checked both USA Today and NY Post sites, but they don't go back that far in the archives.

For reference, you can find screenshots of all faux magazine covers seen in GB1, taken from the Blu-ray, on Spook Central's Ghostbusters Multimedia page. I just added a high-resolution READABLE black & white copy of the USA Today cover to that page, which will help with this request.

* USA TODAY - Although the cover in the movie is dated Oct. 8, 1984, it lists an obituary for The Thin Man actor William Powell, who actually died on March 5, 1984. So I would surmise that the March 6, 1984 USA Today cover was used as the basis for the mock-up. If not the 6th, then the 7th or the 8th, but I doubt that it would be any later than that. The "Ghost Fever Grips New York" article is actually not about the Ghostbusters, but rather about someone named Geoffrey Faux and something about economics. If you read the scan on my site, you'll see that portions of the article text were removed so that the photo of the guys could be on the cover. The article also mentions the name Paul Volcker, so using those two names, I did a Google search and found an article from June 1996 that mentions the two guys. Doing a little more research tells us that Geoffrey Faux (aka Geoffrey P. Faux?) was an economist for the U.S. Department of Labor, and many other economic groups. Paul Volcker was the Chairman of the Federal Reserve under Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan from August 1979 to August 1987. The cover also has a small blurb about Jane Fonda on the left, but the image is actually that of Michael C. Gross' wife Glenis who died in 2006. Don't trust the Mike McWillie photo and blurb in the top left, as he's the guy who created the fake covers. I'd bet the Shannon/Anna photo and blurb in the top right can't be trusted either. The only text that will help in locating the actual cover will be The Thin Man actor William Powell obit on the left and the Geoffrey Faux economics article that surrounds the Ghostbusters photo.

* NY POST - The cover in the movie is dated Oct. 22, 1984, but let's assume that isn't correct. It would probably be safe to assume that Mike McWillie got all of his covers at the same time, so the real NY Post cover is probably from around March 6, 1984, as the USA Today cover is. There are two articles on the cover, and unfortunately, the Blu-ray screen capture doesn't give us any readable text; and the cover wasn't reprinted in the Making Ghostbusters book. The only thing we have to go on is the headline, "Jury: Doctors marked patients for mercy deaths".

Anyone who can help, feel free to e-mail me. I'd actually like to see what the original covers look like, and show fans how the real and faux covers differ.
spookcentral wrote:I'd like to get copies of the front pages for the original USA Today and NY Post covers that were used to make the mock-ups seen in GB1. My local library doesn't keep copies, microfilm or actual paper, going back to 1984. Maybe if someone here has access to, and a library card for, a big library - like the NY Public library, for example - that WOULD have a huge catalog of old magazines and newspapers, you can get me (and by association, all fans - since I'd post it to my site) readable copies of the real front pages of both newspapers. And, yes, I checked both USA Today and NY Post sites, but they don't go back that far in the archives.

For reference, you can find screenshots of all faux magazine covers seen in GB1, taken from the Blu-ray, on Spook Central's Ghostbusters Multimedia page. I just added a high-resolution READABLE black & white copy of the USA Today cover to that page, which will help with this request.

* USA TODAY - Although the cover in the movie is dated Oct. 8, 1984, it lists an obituary for The Thin Man actor William Powell, who actually died on March 5, 1984. So I would surmise that the March 6, 1984 USA Today cover was used as the basis for the mock-up. If not the 6th, then the 7th or the 8th, but I doubt that it would be any later than that. The "Ghost Fever Grips New York" article is actually not about the Ghostbusters, but rather about someone named Geoffrey Faux and something about economics. If you read the scan on my site, you'll see that portions of the article text were removed so that the photo of the guys could be on the cover. The article also mentions the name Paul Volcker, so using those two names, I did a Google search and found an article from June 1996 that mentions the two guys. Doing a little more research tells us that Geoffrey Faux (aka Geoffrey P. Faux?) was an economist for the U.S. Department of Labor, and many other economic groups. Paul Volcker was the Chairman of the Federal Reserve under Presidents Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan from August 1979 to August 1987. The cover also has a small blurb about Jane Fonda on the left, but the image is actually that of Michael C. Gross' wife Glenis who died in 2006. Don't trust the Mike McWillie photo and blurb in the top left, as he's the guy who created the fake covers. I'd bet the Shannon/Anna photo and blurb in the top right can't be trusted either. The only text that will help in locating the actual cover will be The Thin Man actor William Powell obit on the left and the Geoffrey Faux economics article that surrounds the Ghostbusters photo.

* NY POST - The cover in the movie is dated Oct. 22, 1984, but let's assume that isn't correct. It would probably be safe to assume that Mike McWillie got all of his covers at the same time, so the real NY Post cover is probably from around March 6, 1984, as the USA Today cover is. There are two articles on the cover, and unfortunately, the Blu-ray screen capture doesn't give us any readable text; and the cover wasn't reprinted in the Making Ghostbusters book. The only thing we have to go on is the headline, "Jury: Doctors marked patients for mercy deaths".

Anyone who can help, feel free to e-mail me. I'd actually like to see what the original covers look like, and show fans how the real and faux covers differ.
Daym man.

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy colle[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]