Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Alex you had me going up until you showed the "old donuts". since I do make donuts for a living, I knew those donut holes were only a day old by the texture of the donut from
absorbing the glaze.
Day 3 and those donut Holes would've been dryer looking.
4-5 years later they would've been either petrified or dissolved smelling like old beer.
deadderek liked this
Hahaha! One of my favorite comments about the video, over on Facebook, was a guy saying that he doesn't think people should celebrate someone who does something like this to themselves, and that I got what I deserved.

I swear, I thought it all looked pretty fake when I was editing it, so I'm tickled that ANY of it fools anyone. But then, of course I know the tricks; I was the one who thought of how to do them all.

The donut holes in particular were a last-minute idea. I bought them on a Sunday and filmed with them the next day. I had no idea how to convincingly duplicate the Stay-Puft decorated donut, but then I spotted the plastic jug things (I have four of them) and came up with the 'justification' line about why I had only saved the holes and not the full donuts. That then led me on a search for the one box that had sugar/chocolate stains in it. I have some pristine ones that have never been assembled or held a donut, but for this video, I was glad I also saved the used one.

And the line about "they taste like I bought them yesterday" was my tongue-in-cheek hint that the video might not be what it seemed.

I think I ate about five of them total. Three on camera, plus some in another take. I put the rest into a takeout container to shoot the scene where I eat the last one. Debbie and Zak then polished them off while I was still shooting and editing the video, LOL.

Wait, should I be concerned that your donut expertise includes what they look/smell like after five years?

Alex
I just realized, you did miss a golden opportunity to eat an old candy bar and say, "It tastes just like chicken," like Egon-as-Slimer in the RGB episode, Slimer, Is That You?:sigh:
I have no memory of that line! I'd never have thought of that one.

Alas, I don't have any old candy bars extant.

I did once upon a time have a Nestle Crunch bar from the 80s, but as shown in still photos early in this video, it basically disintegrated over time, leaked out of its wrapper, and damaged some other paper items stored in the same lunchbox.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: March 5th, 2021, 10:25 pm Hahaha! One of my favorite comments about the video, over on Facebook, was a guy saying that he doesn't think people should celebrate someone who does something like this to themselves, and that I got what I deserved.

I swear, I thought it all looked pretty fake when I was editing it, so I'm tickled that ANY of it fools anyone. But then, of course I know the tricks; I was the one who thought of how to do them all.

The donut holes in particular were a last-minute idea. I bought them on a Sunday and filmed with them the next day. I had no idea how to convincingly duplicate the Stay-Puft decorated donut, but then I spotted the plastic jug things (I have four of them) and came up with the 'justification' line about why I had only saved the holes and not the full donuts. That then led me on a search for the one box that had sugar/chocolate stains in it. I have some pristine ones that have never been assembled or held a donut, but for this video, I was glad I also saved the used one.

And the line about "they taste like I bought them yesterday" was my tongue-in-cheek hint that the video might not be what it seemed.

I think I ate about five of them total. Three on camera, plus some in another take. I put the rest into a takeout container to shoot the scene where I eat the last one. Debbie and Zak then polished them off while I was still shooting and editing the video, LOL.

Wait, should I be concerned that your donut expertise includes what they look/smell like after five years?

Alex
Working at a donut shop has its advantages and disadvantages. Being able to bring home as many donuts as you want during closing time for yourself and friends leaves for some bags to be found in some interesting places at home. One bag I found was accidentally put in a cupboard with canned supplies that I know wasn't touched for years. It seems that air will completely dry them out while being airtight will ferment them (Dough has the same ingredients as Beer).

The sad thing Is I could replicate the Ghostbusters Donuts from Krispy Kreme but after 10 years I don't enjoy eating donuts as much. When a friend brought me some of the Ghostbusters donuts I noticed that Stay Puft's head looked to be in the shape of a Pumpkin, utilizing the stem as a placement for his hat and the curvature of the bottom for his mouth and cheeks.
Glenn Frederick wrote: March 9th, 2021, 6:10 am The sad thing Is I could replicate the Ghostbusters Donuts from Krispy Kreme but after 10 years I don't enjoy eating donuts as much. When a friend brought me some of the Ghostbusters donuts I noticed that Stay Puft's head looked to be in the shape of a Pumpkin, utilizing the stem as a placement for his hat and the curvature of the bottom for his mouth and cheeks.
So you're saying they pulled a Carvel Fudgie the Whale/Santa cake mold recycle on us?

In other news...

Alex
Kingpin liked this
Playing around with some of the Sony 'stock footage' clips from the first two GB movies, now that they re-released them without the watermark.

https://sonypicturesstockfootage.com/se ... stbusters?

This one had a few frames missing, and the splice tape was visible.

So I found the part they'd snipped out for the movie, and reassembled this moment in time from November 17, 1983.

Alex
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
You keep blowing my mind, Alex.

I think so far in watching the stock footage, my favorite was all the shots pertaining to the Zombie Taxi Driver scene. It's great seeing the different angles to it. Hint hint.
I haven't had a chance yet to look closely at the Zombie Taxi Driver footage, but here's a new installment of the stock footage explorations. These were all spotted by Paul Rudoff and shared on the Spook Central website ages ago. In fact, that's what led me to begin studying these, so it's only right his efforts are recognized in this vid.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
Hah! Ghostbusters II isn't the only film Against the Dark uses stock footage from, there's a brief snipped before the GBII clip of a street in what looks like New York during the daytime, that's stock footage from the Cafe kidnap sequence from Spider-Man 2, which makes sense, as that's also a Sony/Columbia Pictures film:

mrmichaelt liked this
Even though we've been busy with birthday stuff for my son Zak who turned 19 today, I still squeezed in some time to recut a video of mine from 2013 with additional footage.

If you just want to see the new portion, here's a shorter cutdown I did to hopefully bypass the copyright claim because of the music in the section from 2013.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
Question about a comment in your "Cinematic Antecedent" video. You mention the particular makeup effect dating back to the 1920 Jekyll and Hyde but I've never heard that before. I know it was used in the 1931 Jekyll and Hyde and that the original 1920 transformation (specifically the first reveal of Hyde's face) is highly praised for being makeup free (until the cut to a close up) I've also always heard of the effect's first use being in the 1925 film Ben Hur when Jesus heals lepers. Are you absolutely sure the effect dates back to that 1920 Jekyll and Hyde film?
I went back and checked the issue of Starlog that I was remembering...

https://archive.org/details/starlog_magazine-018

Alas, it turns out that when I first saw this issue many years ago, I failed to notice that the photos from the 1920 and 1951 movies being described are seemingly swapped, with the description of the '51 movie being right next to the pics from the '20 movie, and vice versa.

https://archive.org/details/starlog_mag ... 5/mode/2up

So when I googled pics of the Barrymore film today and saw familiar images of the 1920 costumes, my brain remembered a description that actually belongs to the 1951 'Son of Dr. Jekyll' photos on the opposite page.

I apologize for spreading my confusion on this point. I've gone back and revised the comment on the video.

Alex
Glenn Frederick wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:35 pm Alex you had me going up until you showed the "old donuts". since I do make donuts for a living, I knew those donut holes were only a day old by the texture of the donut from
absorbing the glaze.
Day 3 and those donut Holes would've been dryer looking.
4-5 years later they would've been either petrified or dissolved smelling like old beer.
Hey Glenn, this comment of yours from back in March gets a mention in my latest video!

Alex
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]