Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Ecto24601
That's great! I've seen Les Misérables nine times throughout the years, gathered an extensive collection of memorabilia reaching all the way back to the 1980 origin. I bet most of us wish to own a screen-used Ghostbusters prop or costume, I'm lucky enough to own stage-used props and costumes from productions in London, Broadway and Germany. The "confrontation" is one of my favorite songs too!

Speaking of Admiral Ackbar, the motif of him holding a ghost trap always gives me chuckles. One of the best pop-culture crossovers.
Ecto24601 wrote: December 19th, 2020, 1:43 pm Speaking of Admiral Ackbar, the motif of him holding a ghost trap always gives me chuckles. One of the best pop-culture crossovers.
Yes, I've even seen pics of someone who cosplayed as Ghostbuster Ackbar. Hmmm... Now that Hasbro is making Ghostbusters figures, I wonder if anyone has customized a Black Series Ackbar in flightsuit yet? I might have to try that.

Happy holiday greetings to everyone!

I won't have time to recut them before the end of the year, but here's something to look forward to in 2021...

Two of my recent videos drew heavily from the GB2 Electronic Presskit.

(To save you having to scroll back to the previous page, here they are:

)

I did the best I could with the footage I had, but the narration and overlaid RUN-DMC song imposed certain editorial choices.

Well, good news! Derek Osborn had a copy where he was able to extract just the on-set audio from some of the clips, effectively muting the song and some of the voiceover! It is such a relief to finally hear more of the 'fly on the wall' sound.

I did a short test edit with it, putting some of the clips together in a different order than what the continuous RUN-DMC song previously dictated.

And after the holidays, I plan to totally revisit the 'Making Ghostbusters II' video, as well as tweak the audio of the 'Extended Slime Shell' video.

In the meantime, while these two aren't from my own Summer of '89 VHS, enjoy my crude recuts of two vintage Bobbie Wygant videos with Bill Murray.

GB1

GB2

In other words... Murray Christmas!

If you enjoy the Wygant videos, I have a new playlist of those so you don't have to search for my older ones.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ-z ... 1ffok1W_BH

Alex
Kingpin, mrmichaelt liked this
Well, folks, it's New Year's Eve and if ever there was a NYE movie, it's... When Harry Met Sally.

Oh, and Ghostbusters II.

So here are a couple of NYE presents for you.

Back in October, I spent a little time 'restoring' the Oprah Winfrey Show episode featuring the cast of GB2. The Blu-Ray had edited a few things out, so I used Paul Rudoff's copy from Spook Central to put them back in.

Having looked at that footage so recently, while working on a different current project yesterday, I recognized a face from one of the cut scenes, so here's a short vid about that.

And, as mentioned in a previous post, Derek Osborn extracted some on-set audio for me from the Electronic Press Kit for GB2, so I went back and improved the audio in my Extended Slime Shell video *without* the RUN-DMC song playing over the Fire Captain's dialogue.

I also tweaked the 'Cumbaya' portion of the video, since more than one viewer had suggested it needed an audio component.

So that's my Happy New Year present to everyone. See you on the other side!

Alex
Kingpin, Nighty80, ghoulishfright and 1 others liked this
Alex Newborn wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:22 am Well, folks, it's New Year's Eve and if ever there was a NYE movie, it's... When Harry Met Sally.

Oh, and Ghostbusters II.

So here are a couple of NYE presents for you.

Back in October, I spent a little time 'restoring' the Oprah Winfrey Show episode featuring the cast of GB2. The Blu-Ray had edited a few things out, so I used Paul Rudoff's copy from Spook Central to put them back in.

Having looked at that footage so recently, while working on a different current project yesterday, I recognized a face from one of the cut scenes, so here's a short vid about that.

And, as mentioned in a previous post, Derek Osborn extracted some on-set audio for me from the Electronic Press Kit for GB2, so I went back and improved the audio in my Extended Slime Shell video *without* the RUN-DMC song playing over the Fire Captain's dialogue.

I also tweaked the 'Cumbaya' portion of the video, since more than one viewer had suggested it needed an audio component.

So that's my Happy New Year present to everyone. See you on the other side!

Alex
Man. Kurt Fuller sure did dial his performance up to 11 there eh? Yikes.

It’s so funny. We waited decades to see some of the deleted footage from GB2 and it was all pretty terrible. I was so disappointed by the Louis & Slimer stuff. Rick’s performance is...not good. Granted none of it was finished so who knows what finished FX, polished editing, music & ADR might’ve yielded.

The only bit of cut footage I would’ve added, at least from the stuff released, is Dana asking why this is happening to her AGAIN during the street sequence. She’s asking the question audience members are thinking & the movie should’ve acknowledged that. But besides that? Like GB1, Ivan made the proper call everytime.
Someone else singled out Fuller's performance in a comment on the video.

The funny thing is, it always makes me cringe on the Blu-Ray version, where they split the scene in two for some reason, but as I was editing them back into script-order and watching the footage over and over ad nauseam, it began not to bother me as much. The key words there being "as much".

Still, I'd pay handsomely for SOMETHING to cut away to in that awkward pause between Venkman calling him "Mr. Hard-On" and him blowing his stack. They love to use these lingering master shots in the deleted scenes, but tonally they don't seem correct because we're so accustomed to Reitman's very economical editing style.

I had a drama professor who hated to see you silently emote as you processed what was said in your cue line, because he said it looked to the audience like you were trying to remember your response. He'd often say, "I could drive a deuce-and-a-half* across the stage** in that pause you just took." He always wanted us to keep the scene's overall speed going, and I suspect Reitman has a similar approach.

I looked at a couple of possible shots to use in that specific pause, including an earlier reaction shot of Spengler, Stantz and Zeddemore looking on, but their positions in the background of the very shot I wanted to cut away from made it jarring. In the end, I felt it was best to just to leave it as they shot it.

But as you touched on, these reconstruction efforts of mine are an exercise in exploring the almosts, and they point out that the movie we GOT was much stronger than the movie they set out to make. Ivan's prowess as a director was to know when something wasn't working, to know when to whittle a too-long scene down to only the most vital pieces, and with the case of Hardemeyer's come-uppance, to know what could be moved to a new position in the story entirely. Even if it meant an eleventh hour rewrite-and-reshoot.

All of which is especially remarkable if you've ever sat through Cannibal Girls! LOL His skills grew by leaps and bounds!

Alex

[*a 2.5 ton truck, **the width of that particular stage was 56 feet]
Wafflerobot liked this
By Kingpin
One thing I get the feeling for that might help the flow of the scene is that Hardemeyer's
Jack Hardemeyer wrote:This is preposterous, you can't be seriously believe all this mumbo jumbo. It's the twentieth century for crying out loud!
and
Jack Hardemeyer wrote:Listen mister! I don't know what this stuff is, or how you got it all over the museum, but you'd better get it off!
-almost feel like two separate responses to Venkman's "Mr. Hard-on" quip.

Potentially editing the dialogue down to one, or the other, might make Hardemeyer's scene flow a little better...

But on the whole, it made sense to ditch it, seeing as it was a bit too similar to the already-shaved down sequences of Peck trying to get the guys arrested at Dana's apartment building.
Intriguing idea. One line is to the Mayor, one is to Venkman, but it would be interesting to see how the scene would work without one of them.

Again, though, my hands are tied by that being one long master shot. Nothing to cut away to, thereby hiding the splice. Just taking out a line would result in a jarring jump cut between two similar pieces of footage.

There's a silent reaction shot of Egon, Winston, and Ray that *ought* to work, but it would mean Winston and Ray switch places for one brief shot, then jump back when we cut back to the master.

EDIT:

Here's a 17-second test version of it though anyway.

Alex
Kingpin liked this
By Ecto24601
I appreciate this cut more and more each time I watch it. We get to see the (almost) full cycle of the dot matrix boards, the Ecto-1A still carries the license plates with Libby on the left hand side except for the close up, the mayor's car carries a "Hizzoner" license plate...so many funny details. One can only pray that Jason not only found and went through the dailies of GB1 but also GB2, so we might get a chance at a major remaster and more footage to be released in the future.
Alex Newborn, deadderek liked this
Ecto24601 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 12:38 pm I appreciate this cut more and more each time I watch it. We get to see the (almost) full cycle of the dot matrix boards...
I put together everything useful from the film and the EPK. This is more or less the film's linear sequence.

I might also try cutting it non-linear so the scroll-boards' loop is reconstructed in as much as possible.

Alex
Ecto24601, Kingpin liked this
While working on a different video, I found a soundbyte of Harold Ramis that I'd been looking for.

Actually two of them.

For a while now, I had wanted to pair these two obviously pre-arranged moments where he was asked if he'd been the class clown in school.

I even began the edit weeks ago, only to discover that I'd mis-remembered what shows the clips were in; when I reviewed the Oprah Winfrey episode and Later with Bob Costas, he didn't tell the anecdote in either one.

This morning I inadvertently located one of them in the Electronic Press Kit, and then spent a little time sifting through every other 1989 Harold Ramis interview I had until I located the second one... in an Arsenio Hall episode way down my playlist in Summer of '89: Part 14.

Here's the resulting cutdown...

It's not immediately obvious, but I actually used three videos to make that pair of clips. One copy of the Electronic Presskit has a better picture but low audio, the other one that Derek provided me has louder sound, but some picture glitches, so I re-synced sound from one over the other to boost the volume to match the Arsenio clip.

And while I was puttering around with clips, I also noticed a few other phrases that Harold had used more than once, resulting in this second bonus recut.

Enjoy!

Alex
Kingpin liked this
I've been re-cutting my Making of GHOSTBUSTERS II video for a few days now with the improved audio that Derek provided.

Plus I'm incorporating some strong suggestions that folks had made in the YT comments, in this thread, and on social media.

I'd rebuilt the first thirteen minutes of it and thought I might actually finish the remaining four minutes this morning...

then an unexpected setback.

Today [1-11-2021] I got a notification of a new comment on a video in the Summer of '89 playlist which I'd uploaded over a decade ago.

And as I re-watched it to understand the guy's reference, lo and behold, there was an Entertainment Tonight report on GB2 from February 1989-- with some on-set footage I'd totally forgotten about!

That's when it dawned on me, the MoGB2 idea had been an offshoot idea that occurred to me while working on a different topic, for which I had pre-culled the video source files I thought I would need.

When I spun it out into its own 'fly on the wall' idea, I made a rookie mistake. I never went back and checked the rest of my FIVE HOUR PLAYLIST for additional clips.

I've created a lot more work for myself, but the end product will be greatly improved.

Stay tuned!

Alex
Another brief moment in time, from February 1989, reconstructed.

Yesterday I noticed that an Entertainment Tonight report from Thursday, February 16th, 1989 contained two fragments of Bill Murray kissing an onlooker in the crowd.

Their editor sliced the moment up and used them in reverse order in the original broadcast, so I wanted to see how they'd look reconstructed into their proper sequence.

I also extended it with a shot from the Electronic Presskit at the beginning of my reconstruction. It seems to be snippets of the same minute in time, just captured by two different cameras.

If you'd like to see the full Entertainment Tonight report, which I uploaded more than a decade ago, here's the link. Jump to about the three-minute mark.

Big thanks to the random YouTube viewer who left a comment about an audio glitch in this ten-year-old upload yesterday, causing me to review it and spot the Santa-hats-and-gray-flightsuits footage.

Alex
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
By mrmichaelt
Alex Newborn wrote: January 12th, 2021, 9:18 am

Big thanks to the random YouTube viewer who left a comment about an audio glitch in this ten-year-old upload yesterday, causing me to review it and spot the Santa-hats-and-gray-flightsuits footage.
Do you happen to know which ET episode the Wolf interview with Weaver was from or was it the same February 16, 1989 one?
mrmichaelt wrote: January 12th, 2021, 10:32 pm Do you happen to know which ET episode the Wolf interview with Weaver was from or was it the same February 16, 1989 one?
I'm checking the hand-written log sheet of all the clips on the *main* Summer of '89 VHS, and I find no entry for it yet.

But since it was uploaded as a "More on VHS" entry, it was more than likely digitized from one of my other VHS tapes, the ones I bagged episodes of RGB with.

If they're on the main tape (which I labeled in pen "Ghostbusters II Damn Hyped!"), I can usually bracket their approximate broadcast date by other clips preceding and following it.

But if this one came from another tape, I don't have that built-in linear flow to be able to say with any certainty. After the II Damn Hyped tape was all digitized and uploaded, I went through *these* 24 additional tapes and just randomly digitized stuff that then got further shuffled and grouped into the 'sequel' videos of the playlist.

I wonder if there's an episode guide for Entertainment Tonight (and Entertainment This Week) online anywhere? Maybe we could do a search for Sigourney Weaver and Jeanne Wolf together, see if there's a hit in 1989 or 1990.

Alex
By mrmichaelt
Alex Newborn wrote: I wonder if there's an episode guide for Entertainment Tonight (and Entertainment This Week) online anywhere? Maybe we could do a search for Sigourney Weaver and Jeanne Wolf together, see if there's a hit in 1989 or 1990.
Ok, what I have so far is according to tv.com there was a interview with Weaver on the March 20, 1989 and June 19, 1989 episodes.
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2997782/
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2998102/

Also, Dan Aykroyd listed for the May 25, 1989 episode.
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2997942/

And Bill Murray for the June 12, 1989 episode.
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2998073/
Remind me when I get done with the current project, I'll try to go through all of my files and see how many of these ET appearances line up with either my own clips from VHS or ones I've since found on YouTube.

I want to say there are at least four or five in there.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
Hey mrmichaelt, look what I just found!

Someone named Darrin Bird uploaded this a month ago. Great quality!

I'm so glad you were asking about ET episodes, because this one has some great clips in it that I can add to my Making GB2 video...

including (some of) the rest of that shot of Murray kissing the onlooker!

Alex
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
By mrmichaelt
Alex Newborn wrote: January 13th, 2021, 6:29 pm Hey mrmichaelt, look what I just found!

Someone named Darrin Bird uploaded this a month ago. Great quality!

I'm so glad you were asking about ET episodes, because this one has some great clips in it that I can add to my Making GB2 video...

including (some of) the rest of that shot of Murray kissing the onlooker!
Nice! Looks like the May episode. Wow, some bts shots from the Gracie Mansion scene. Very nice.
Alex Newborn liked this
If they want to give me access to those archives, I won't complain!

By the way, I knew that the shot of Ray's eyebrows popping upward was out there in color somewhere.

I found it first in a Nick @ Nite promo on my Summer of '89 playlist and was about to cut that in, but then I found it in much higher quality in the trailer.

So here's virtually the same exact video posted above, except with exactly one second of Dan Aykroyd changed to color footage instead of black and white.

Alex
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
You and Derek Osborn would make quite a team. ;)

Yeah, the 2 trailers have some extra bits in there.
-Aside from Ray's eyebrow raise
-There's a 'alternate shot' of the Prosecutor being carried away by 'invisible Nunzio'
-A textless version of Peter dancing by his front door (don't recall if it's ever textless in the movie or if the Bo Welch credit is always there)
-I think a clear version of what Wexler is yelling as he pounds the Judge's door
-Ray's Tenth Level of Hell comment to Mayor Lenny that we have in an alt. scene in the recent release I think
-Egon scanning the floating glass in Orrefors

-A clear version of when Egon says "Now!" to trigger the devices in Orrefors
-A clear version of Louis' yelp when he first meets Slimer.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]