Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 16th, 2021, 1:30 am
Yeah, the 2 trailers have some extra bits in there.
-Aside from Ray's eyebrow raise
-There's a 'alternate shot' of the Prosecutor being carried away by 'invisible Nunzio'
-A textless version of Peter dancing by his front door (don't recall if it's ever textless in the movie or if the Bo Welch credit is always there)
-I think a clear version of what Wexler is yelling as he pounds the Judge's door
-Ray's Tenth Level of Hell comment to Mayor Lenny that we have in an alt. scene in the recent release I think
-Egon scanning the floating glass in Orrefors

-A clear version of when Egon says "Now!" to trigger the devices in Orrefors
-A clear version of Louis' yelp when he first meets Slimer.
Exploring the 'unfinished' trailer (the one with the full cheesy TV commercial in it) yields a few additional...

Shot of Ecto-1A making a quick left turn is a few frames longer at the end than what is seen in the film
Chanting crowd shots include one not seen in final film (news reporter at lower left)
Shot from courtroom of the busters firing their packs is pre-optical
Alternate take of Louis' line about the weight of the equipment; in this one he says backpack

I thought the shot of Dana walking up the museum steps might be longer than what's in the film, but the movie seems to be a single continuous take from exiting the cab until the museum doors close, so it was actually trimmed down for the trailer. Here's the trailer segment (with the Ray Parker Jr song) spliced back into the full movie scene (with score).

Alex
mrmichaelt, deadderek liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:I thought the shot of Dana walking up the museum steps might be longer than what's in the film, but the movie seems to be a single continuous take from exiting the cab until the museum doors close, so it was actually trimmed down for the trailer. Here's the trailer segment (with the Ray Parker Jr song) spliced back into the full movie scene (with score).
Plus trailer #1 had those extended shots of the slime pouring out/shooting out of the museum to form the shell around it. Glad they cut it out, would have probably been a but too much like The Shining or what have you.
Alex Newborn liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: January 25th, 2021, 4:20 pm
Alex Newborn wrote:I thought the shot of Dana walking up the museum steps might be longer than what's in the film, but the movie seems to be a single continuous take from exiting the cab until the museum doors close, so it was actually trimmed down for the trailer. Here's the trailer segment (with the Ray Parker Jr song) spliced back into the full movie scene (with score).
Plus trailer #1 had those extended shots of the slime pouring out/shooting out of the museum to form the shell around it. Glad they cut it out, would have probably been a but too much like The Shining or what have you.
I don’t know if those are “extended” shots or re takes. The slime in that version is more like blood. It always gives away the miniature effect in a way the other slime doesn’t. That being said...I kinda love it. It’s more violent & “angry”.

God we need an official behind the scenes documentary. Cleaning Up The Town part 2, where are you!?!
RichardLess wrote: January 25th, 2021, 6:00 pm I don’t know if those are “extended” shots or re takes. The slime in that version is more like blood. It always gives away the miniature effect in a way the other slime doesn’t. That being said...I kinda love it. It’s more violent & “angry”.
Point taken. Perhaps it was the first test they did with the scene, or a retake, and left it in as a place holder because they were still working on that part when the trailer was cut.
God we need an official behind the scenes documentary. Cleaning Up The Town part 2, where are you!?!
I'm taking bets for which will come out first, Too Hot To Handle or Afterlife. :P
deadderek liked this
Well, I'm cutting up the trailers into little tiny slivers based on the suggestions about the different slime eruption, and just noticed the clip when the announcer says Rick Moranis' name is actually trimmed off the tail end of the movie scene.

I put the pieces back together in this quick test. Too bad it jumps to full screen, but still neat to see the moment in time reconstructed.

Alex
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
Here it is. My magnum opus. My love letter to the creative process behind GB2.

Even if you saw the version I did several weeks back, give it another look.

It's now nine minutes longer, and has vastly improved audio thanks to Derek Osborn and Lars Karlsen.

Some of you in this thread might see your name in the end credits, as thanks for bringing certain snippets to my attention and inspiring me to keep tinkering with it.

Alex
RedSpecial, Kingpin, Glenn Frederick and 3 others liked this
I tried to credit all of the people who'd contributed.

Derek and Lars provided certain clips specifically for this video. Mostly stuff that I only needed for the clean audio, but Derek also did the restoration frames of Janine holding the Cosmo magazine in the 'unfinished trailer' commercial. Sony blurred it out for the Blu-Ray (does that make it a BLUR-ay?) but Derek had used a scan of my own copy of that same issue to paint it back in frame-by-frame, for his 'VHS' version of the commercial. I asked if he'd ever done it widescreen without the static overlay and he dug in his files and found his submaster, which no one's seen until now.

The next group of folks in the credits were people who had publicly shared things which I wound up using, but they didn't necessarily know their stuff would wind up in a new recut. (I think of them as the Rockefellers... just as Rockefeller Center didn't really give Reitman et al. permission to film there, they nevertheless created a public resource which wound up becoming a part of the fabric.)

Then I listed other YouTube channels where I'd borrowed certain clips that were either missing from my own Summer of '89 playlist, or were in better quality than mine. I also credited the YouTube viewer who just happened to comment on a decade-old video that made me realize I needed to check my entire playlist for additional clips.

And the last group were the folks in this thread who made helpful comments or solid suggestions as we discussed the various 'lost' snippets from GB2, which inspired the 'cutting room floor' album at the end of the video.

I hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: January 27th, 2021, 8:46 am

23:06 Wow, I never knew they actually hung a lantern on the fact that Dana is once again the focal point of supernatural activity in GB2. They really should've left that in the final cut to shut up all the naysayers.

Phenomenal video, Alex! I truly felt like I was on set.
Alex Newborn liked this
Dr.D wrote: December 15th, 2020, 5:00 pm Also...I'm a sucker for more footage of the gray suits.
Dr.D, I just saw this older comment again. You will be pleased to know that there is now a LOT more footage of the gray suits/Santa hats in the latest iteration of this project. Far more than they have in the finished film, in fact. Jump to the 2:44 mark.

There was one clip I couldn't ever find 'clean', though, I only had it as a background with John Tesh superimposed over it, so I left it out of the 'fly on the wall' version of the cut.

What really amazes me is how elaborate the production of that scene was, and it lasts what? four seconds in the finished film? They had hundreds of onlookers, barricades in place, even a boom mike recording the actors... yet in the movie you only see a few pedestrians outside the store, and there's no dialogue to it.

It's especially noteworthy when just five years before, they could film guerrilla-style all over New York doing shots like the one at Rockefeller Center, and not draw nearly as much attention. The success of the first film was ironically almost a hindrance to the production of the second.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on January 27th, 2021, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghoulishfright wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:41 pm Phenomenal video, Alex! I truly felt like I was on set.
Thanks for saying that. As I've probably mentioned, one of the inspirations for this was the more-or-less-linear with-zero-narration documentary for the Phantom Menace, which I always found more immersive than having some omniscient voiceover tell me what they thought was important.

Another of the inspirations was the book Making Ghostbusters, about the first film. It was chock full of great quotes and neat graphics, laid out not in the order the filmmakers made the film, but arranged along the linear script of the film for structure. Thus my decision to recut the totally randomized clips of the Electronic Press Kit into basically the same sequence as the finished film. (There are some minor exceptions where I grouped a lone shot from one scene into a longer collection of clips occurring on the same set.)

Likewise, the sidebar anecdotes of the Making Ghostbusters book inspired the handful of marginal notes I added to the video, for instance to clarify who a crew member was if they were speaking, or to point out that the Ecto parked outside the LA Firehouse was a replica that belonged to Peter Mosen. I felt putting these comments in the empty 'black' areas of the shots was much less intrusive than, say, shooting a talking head segment to introduce clips, or adding my own voiceover... which would have defeated the purpose of removing the original voiceovers.

Even the big color photo blow-up gallery at the back of Making Ghostbusters translated stylistically into the "cutting room floor" section at the end of my video, as a catch-all for things that had not been included at their proper position along the script.
ghoulishfright wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:41 pm 23:06 Wow, I never knew they actually hung a lantern on the fact that Dana is once again the focal point of supernatural activity in GB2. They really should've left that in the final cut to shut up all the naysayers.
The inclusion of that grew out of a similar comment someone made about my earlier (and shorter) version of this from mid-December. I don't see the quote at the moment, it was probably on a Facebook post about the video. They suggested adding the deleted scene to the BTS clips, saying the scene really needed to have been in the film, since that was a question they'd wondered about for years.

After Derek isolated the on-set audio and I began work recutting the project, I decided to add that full deleted scene. I originally had it in the middle of the 'investigating the street' behind-the-scenes footage, but it kinda killed the inherent energy of the 'film crew doing take after take' assemblage, so I took out everything except a snippet that I felt visually explained the BTS shot that followed. I still wanted that "why me?" question of Dana's in there somewhere, though, so it migrated to the cutting room floor snippets... much in the way that the deleted 'possessed Ray driving' footage migrated into the 'we're back' montage of the movie itself. (Or like the Fort Detmerring succubus found a new home in the first film's 'sudden fame' montage.)

So here's a bonus for you... I reinterpolated the full cut scene with the movie scene that would have preceded it. It's an Unlisted clip, just a little extra something for the folks reading this thread.

One of the funny things about watching the real movie scene now is, after spending so many hours cutting and recutting the BTS footage, I realize that the background extras were also having to repeat their business take after take.

Watch for 'skis over his shoulder' guy, 'jogging in place until he can cross' guy, 'Christmas tree seller' guy, and more.

We know they shot scene B27A a minimum of nine times per the clapper board, so those 'atmosphere players' had to reset and do the same actions at least that many times that day.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on January 30th, 2021, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Newborn wrote: January 27th, 2021, 11:52 pm the BTS footage, I realize that the background extras were also having to repeat their business take after take.

Watch for 'skis over his shoulder' guy, 'jogging in place until he can cross' guy, 'Christmas tree seller' guy, and more.

We know they shot scene B27A a minimum of nine times per the clapper board, so those 'atmosphere players' had to reset and do the same actions at least that many times that day.
Ha ha, yes, the background extras were more 'lively' in GB2. I recall one of the ski ladies that Dana passes by in the beginning said to her friend, "He's only interested in my buns." They all got their own lives going on. Like that guy that ran into the woman in crutches, where was he running off to in such a hurry? :P
Haha, yep!

I only recently saw the "interested in my buns" comment either on a closed-captioned video or a transcript and thought, "No way" but cued up the film and sure enough there it was.

And the guy who is arguing with the meter maid! He always reminds me a little bit of Rance Howard.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
By Coover5
Thank you for putting together the Making GHOSTBUSTERS II video. The whole thing is great but the best part to me is scenes like the first investigation at the museum when they guys aren't "on". When you watch Bill Murray enter with shades it's one friend walking over to his other friends. It's not mega star Bill Murray walking over to the cast of the blockbuster film Ghostbusters.
Alex Newborn liked this
Alex Newborn wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:28 pm I wonder if there's an episode guide for Entertainment Tonight (and Entertainment This Week) online anywhere?
mrmichaelt wrote: January 13th, 2021, 12:33 amOk, what I have so far is according to tv.com there was a interview with Weaver on the March 20, 1989 and June 19, 1989 episodes.
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2997782/
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2998102/

Also, Dan Aykroyd listed for the May 25, 1989 episode.
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2997942/

And Bill Murray for the June 12, 1989 episode.
http://www.tv.com/shows/entertainment-t ... 9-2998073/
Alex Newborn wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:53 am When I get done with the current project, I'll try to go through all of my files and see how many of these ET appearances line up with either my own clips from VHS or ones I've since found on YouTube.

I want to say there are at least four or five in there.
Actually... there were nine!

And none of them corresponds to the Murray June 12 listing, so that means there are even more out there waiting to be discovered.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
Alex Newborn wrote: February 1st, 2021, 1:10 am Actually... there were nine!

And none of them corresponds to the Murray June 12 listing, so that means there are even more out there waiting to be discovered.
Aw, 80s programming. Gotta love it. 9, huh? I suppose if some episodes spotlighted Sigourney, Bill, and Dan, it would stand to reason some others spotlighted Harold, Ernie, Annie, and Rick.
Today on the GBFans Facebook page, Joe Charles asked about a 'compendium' of photos from this hallway shoot.

I first responded with stills, then decided to also put them all into a video.

If you have any of these in better quality, or any additional, please let me know! I will happily revise the video.

BONUS: Here's how I digitally combined two different versions of one specific photo to make a hybrid reconstruction of the full image.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
Probably after they started the NY filming. Sigourney did say she first met Bill because she went to the library filming to observe and introduce only to be picked up and carried up over his shoulder.
Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced the three pics of Siggy are from the same shoot, hence why I left them until the end. It kinda looks like the same hallway, but it also kinda doesn't.

The other pics of the three guys, though, seem to me like they were trying on the costumes, most notably in the way Aykroyd has the gizmo daughterboard tucked in his chest pocket.

Come to that, Bill is wearing the flashlight holster in all the pics, even the ones with Siggy. Shrug.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: March 1st, 2021, 7:47 pm Snowbound and out of food, Alex makes the ultimate collector sacrifice...

Alex
3:37 Holy smokes, I literally forgot those things existed! Haven't thought about those since the 90's, but I actually used to love those things. They were like edible Kenner ghosts. Every time I went to the gas station with my dad, he would get me some. Those gummies and the Slimer bubble gum candy were my favorites. Really wish they would bring 'em back along with Ecto Cooler.

I have some Ghostbusters energy drinks that are probably ten years old, but there's no way in Hell I'm gulping that stuff down. It'd probably work better as a paint remover.
Alex Newborn liked this
I had tinkered some weeks ago on a massive John Candy compilation, but was never quite satisfied with the end result. Today on Facebook several people were posting tribute pics to Candy on the anniversary of his passing.

I went back into my big Candy video project and decided to break it into smaller chunks that stay on cohesive topics. I'm much happier with the results, and was able to turn the material into three separate videos so far. Plus I did a slight recut of one interview with Candy that I did post back in December.

These are all filtered through the lens of his near-inclusion in Ghostbusters, so give them a look.

How Dan Aykroyd (and Valri Bromfield) tricked John Candy into auditioning for Second City:

Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, and Bill Murray in various Johnny LaRue skits from SCTV (and SCTV Network):

Bobbie Wygant interviews John Candy about two early films he was in with Dan Aykroyd:

Every John Candy storyboard for Ghostbusters that I could lay hands on:

I still have some more material in the file. Hopefully I can find time to cut it down into some more mini-videos and keep this playlist going.

Alex
RedSpecial liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: March 2nd, 2021, 12:11 pm Holy smokes, I literally forgot those things existed! Haven't thought about those since the 90's, but I actually used to love those things. They were like edible Kenner ghosts. Every time I went to the gas station with my dad, he would get me some. Those gummies and the Slimer bubble gum candy were my favorites. Really wish they would bring 'em back along with Ecto Cooler.

I have some Ghostbusters energy drinks that are probably ten years old, but there's no way in Hell I'm gulping that stuff down. It'd probably work better as a paint remover.
Always happy to remind someone of fond memories of their childhood and their parents.

As for the risk of eating/drinking old food, see below...
mrmichaelt wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:43 pm Good to see you survived eating that stuff in the last video. :P
Truth be told, the entire video is a bunch of sleight of hand, pure acting, and editing tricks. None of the food I ate was more than four days old, and that was the burger! Remember when I said the Krispy Kreme donut holes tasted like I'd bought them the day before? I had! LOL

I'm planning a followup video where I show how some of the switcheroos were achieved, but in most cases it was due to the fact that I still had not only full containers of those items, I had saved empty containers too. I just never showed both at the same time.

So I was able to, for instance, put newly-bought Twinkies in the empty 2016 box, and had that pre-set below camera frame when I set down the still-sealed box in front of it. For the sound of me cutting into the box, which was done live but off-camera, I hacked into the empty 2021 box that I'd just used to fill the old one.

In fact, I didn't like the first take, and had to re-set everything and do it again. That poor 2021 box got sliced into multiple times for the sound effect.

Also, the opening and closing shots in the snow were shot nine days before the interiors, and the snow was long gone. But for continuity's sake, I had to still wear what I'd had on when I shot the 'running into the yard to puke' ending. So I was sitting there on an 80-degree day sweating profusely in a hoodie... pants-less like Harrison Ford and Sean Connery on board the zeppelin in Last Crusade! LOL
mrmichaelt wrote: March 4th, 2021, 10:43 pmAlso, all you had to say was Johnny LaRue. But Harold with a stache was a nice bonus as as Bill in the last one.
There was another JLaR skit with Harold that I found on YouTube when sourcing the clips, I want to say he was playing a hippie or something? But I went with this one because it dovetailed nicely with the interview quote where Candy talked about the character's 'shady mob connections'.

As for the clip with Bill in it, I initially assumed that it was an early SCTV skit, but when I looked it up, it was from the later 'SCTV Network' version of the show. That specific episode was made the year after Stripes came out. I hadn't realized these guys were still doing TV skits after their movie careers began.

That was one of the videos that I felt worked better as a short specific topic, because when I had the LaRue skits edited into their proper place in the chronology of Candy's life in the long version, they were interrupted by the stuff on 1941, Blues Brothers, and Stripes.

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote: March 5th, 2021, 7:06 am There was another JLaR skit with Harold that I found on YouTube when sourcing the clips, I want to say he was playing a hippie or something? But I went with this one because it dovetailed nicely with the interview quote where Candy talked about the character's 'shady mob connections'.

As for the clip with Bill in it, I initially assumed that it was an early SCTV skit, but when I looked it up, it was from the later 'SCTV Network' version of the show. That specific episode was made the year after Stripes came out. I hadn't realized these guys were still doing TV skits after their movie careers began.
Really, interesting. They were still going between Canada and the States into the 80s? I also mistakenly thought they had stopped doing SCTV in the late 70s.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]