Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Apologies if this has been discussed before...

When the original three Ghostbusters separate at the Sedgewick hotel, and Venkman is wandering a hallway, there's a snippet of noise audible from a TV inside one of the rooms.

It's a rich male voice saying what sounds like, "But, you may be right. If so, we'd better [unintelligible] ..."

And I swear, it sounds like Ricardo Montalban.

Anyone know more about this?

It could be an episode of Fantasy Island, it could be TOS, it could be Wrath of Khan. It could be anything, really, from throughout his long and distinguished career, at least pre-1983-ish.

But this has nagged at me long enough. In 2012, I want to FIND that clip and hear/see the entire bit of dialogue. Yet I can't do it alone, so I appeal on the obsessive GBfan gene in all of us... Help me find this!

Alex
Yeah, the first word is open to interpretation. Could also be "Bart".

And the last word (in the unintelligible section) sounds like it might be 'boat'. Or 'votes'.

Looking over his imdb list, there's very little of his career in my collection. I may seek out the Planet of the Apes movies where he played Armando and give them a listen.

Alex
Anybody ever interviewed any of these folks?

Sound Department

Rick Alexander .... sound re-recording mixer (as Dick Alexander)
Richard Beggs .... sound designer
Raul A. Bruce .... sound boom (as Paul A. Bruce)
Jim Bullock .... sound editor
Gene S. Cantamessa .... production sound mixer (as Gene Cantamessa)
John M. Colwell .... sound editor (as John Colwell)
Les Fresholtz .... sound re-recording mixer
Joseph Holsen .... sound editor
William L. Manger .... sound editor
Tom McCarthy Jr. .... sound designer
Vern Poore .... sound re-recording mixer
Michael P. Redbourn .... sound editor (as Mike Redbourn)
Don S. Walden .... sound editor
Jack Wolpa .... cable person (as Jack Walpa)

And, of lesser likelihood, but I'll throw them in here too since they'd have heard the movie in various levels of audio completeness.

Ken Dufva .... foley artist (uncredited)
Kim Maitland .... sound recordist (uncredited)
Christopher Moriana .... foley artist (uncredited)

Alex
Hahaha, sorry to make you obsess about this for over a year now!

I was watching it again the other day, and the unintelligible phrase came to me (that time) as 'if so we'd better get a boat'.

But I had also just watched a music video the day before which sampled the line from Jaws "You're gonna need a bigger boat" so there's a strong chance my perception was skewed.

Alex
The other thread lead me to this! I'm 100% certain the first word is Barnes or Barns, but I can't find a single Montalban thing on IMDB with a character named either in it. Which doesn't help, but I'm going to obsess over it too, now, and you know what they say about a problem shared!
Aw, I got my hopes up for a second there. I googled "Ricardo Montalban Dallas episode" and got a hit. Unfortunately, it was an article giving a synopsis of a Dallas show and the author made a throwaway mention to Montalban in an aside.

I checked his imdb page and didn't see a listing for Dallas.

He did appear on Dynasty, so nighttime soap appearances weren't outside his milieu, but that was two years after Ghostbusters, so it can't be the source of this audio.

If it even is RM speaking, which it might not be.

I'm playing a long shot on this topic at the moment so cross your fingers.

Alex
And here's another new avenue to investigate... 1954's The Saracen Blade, with Montalban. It's the main entry I see popping up under movies he made for Columbia Pictures. Thirty years old when they were making Ghostbusters, and they wouldn't have had to worry about clearances as much.

Anyone got a copy?

Alex
Well yeah, I'm not totally sold it was Montalban and thought it could have been someone in the main Dallas cast.
Alex Newborn wrote:And here's another new avenue to investigate... 1954's The Saracen Blade, with Montalban. It's the main entry I see popping up under movies he made for Columbia Pictures. Thirty years old when they were making Ghostbusters, and they wouldn't have had to worry about clearances as much.
Perhaps, the "barnes" part we're hearing is in mention of the character Baron Rogliano? But during 1983-84, would it have easy for the sound crew to get a copy of a 50s movie or its audio?
Alex Newborn liked this
I think the technology was definitely there.

After all, Ben Burtt was putting sounds from older films into Star Wars in the mid-to-late 70s. The squeaking voice of 'Garindan' the long-nosed spy in Mos Eisley was created using a line of dialogue from a John Wayne movie.

Plus, since it was supposed to be a voice on a TV, it could have been as simple as turning on a TV, hitting record on an old Nagra tape recorder (that's what Burtt used) and bagging the 'world-ized' audio of whatever movie happened to be playing.

Alex
mrmichaelt liked this
Troy wrote:For what it's worth, this source audio is also something that's been nagging Chris for years - and when we had Ivan Reitman on the podcast, he had to ask him. Reitman was stumped and couldn't recollect if it was something that he had purposefully put in there as a nod or not.
Hmm, so it sounds like it's one of those things he delegated to his sound person on the shoot. Maybe Reitman didn't even approve it and just gave the person carte blanche to pick whatever.
robbritton wrote: September 8th, 2017, 12:16 pm The other thread lead me to this! I'm 100% certain the first word is Barnes or Barns, but I can't find a single Montalban thing on IMDB with a character named either in it. Which doesn't help, but I'm going to obsess over it too, now, and you know what they say about a problem shared!
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0577828/
Interesting! Since that episode aired October of 1983, it might give credence to the sound guys recording broadcast audio off a real TV to put in the hotel sound mix.

I mean, a movie production that films their stars guerrilla style at Rockefeller Plaza without permission is probably not going to any great lengths in the audio procurement.

Doing a little digging, it looks like the later seasons of Fantasy Island were never released on DVD. Anyone got an idea how to track Season 7, Episode 1 down?

Alex
deadderek liked this
Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]