Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By slimesquare2
So I posted this guy on facebook when I got him but I figured i'd show him on here too.

And I got another slimer that i'm not sure where it came from

I have the arms from the first one but not the second one and someone sent me this to show where the first one came from

By -ReelShack-
Hi guys,

as promised in my introduction post I am knocking on your door to try to get as much information as possible about a certain piece being in my possession for a couple of years now. From time to time I search the internet for workshop footage of Steve Johnson and his crew. This time I came across this thread over here and thought I could hijack it a bit to go a bit deeper into the Slimer pre production process and sculpts.
I have started another thread (different Forum) a couple of years ago and the most feedback I've got was that my scuplt is propably a garage kit being cast from an original maquette. Nobody could ever show me pictures of this garage kit nor does my maquette look in any way being a cast of something. So here we are... I am pretty convinced that the dark resin cast from slimesquare in the first post is exactly what I was told being produced in the underground market.

While the cast looks like it has been made out of resin... my sculpt is made out of a plaster like material. It is highly detailed (imagine this one is only about 3,2" tall) down to the teeth and tongue and looks hand painted. The arms being part of the sculpt and not seperated. This doesn't look like a cast at all. It was sold once to me as original production piece. Nevertheless... I had my doubts over the years but never lost the faith. There is very minor production material circulating. Making it hard to track down any evidences. This thread here gives a good start as I for myself see the cast of the garage kit the first time ever. @ slimersquare... would you mind taking a few more shots of your Slimer for reference? Is there any detail inside the mouth? What does it look like on the bottom?

I've set up a small comparsion sheet to check for similarities. Actually...there are quite a few spots which match up somehow... down the road it is no perfect match. So mine isn't the master for the garge kits out there. I like seeing a few similarities as scuplting is a process and at a certain stage only minor changes to the sculpt are made leading to the final approved version. So whatever those 2 sculpts are...they look being made by the same artist.

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BariAeoVn4Q we have the Steve Johnson "Get Slimed" complitation containing pre production notes from Steve himself. In this video at 2:22 he points at the small Slimer sculpt which was made by Mark Siegel http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0796878/. Take a look at his history... that dude did it all ;) In the background you can see another small Slimer sculpt. Looks a bit more like the garage kit master with seperated arms for easier casting?

In the post of slimersquare2 you can see a wonderful page of another small Slimer sculpt being held by a woman's hand. Again...a few parts match up... but it doesn't look like mine or slimersquare's either.

So what you guys think? What does this maquette need being proofed as original? Is it a custom sculpt by a fan referring to the garage kit or any reference photos? Does anybody else have any information about those sculpts? Down the road it would be nice to get in contact with the maker Mark Siegel himself. To be honest... I don't have a clue how to contact him. But it looks like he is still working for ILM these days.

I've made a quick turnraround.swf for your viewing pleasure and to keep my posting small. So if there are any viewing problems..let me know and I'll post the pictures seperately. If anybody knows how to implement the *.swf into the posting...let me know.

HIT ME FOR TURNAROUND

Really looking forward seeing you guys participating

All best,

Dan

By d_osborn
Cool piece!

I don't have any info on your Onionhead, but it kinda reminds me of a rubber production-piece sold by Propstore a long time ago. From what I remember, it was listed on Propstore as a filming miniature used in the chandelier shot, not a maquette. Of course, they aren't even close to being the same, but since you're researching...

My guess... if yours isn't fan-made, it's some sort of early version or posing study of the maquette that was later used for the garage kit.

I also have the garage kit that Slimesquare posted. If I get a chance next week, I'll dig it out and take some shots of the mouth detail.

Also, have you tried contacting Steve Johnson directly? He's on Facebook... really cool dude.
By -ReelShack-
That's pretty sweet! I remember this one. My guess is that this propably is where it all leads to. Steve Johnson mentioned the production of such a small sculpt for being used in the ballroom candelier scene. The scale and facial expression looks quite the same. So this is a good point to say that the plaster sculpt and the sculpt from the garage kit are from that exact production process. One can only guess how many sculpts have been made at the end. Might be a few.
Good idea contacting Steve via Facebook. I might try that. Would love to get in contact with Mark Siegel instead... he will know for sure. He's the father ;)
By Dizzy26
Hello,
I also a resin copy of the second slimer in this post. Mine is the old brown resin color.
Were you ever able to figure out any history on it?
I got mine in 1991 from a guy who used to be a driver for the studios and had friends that did props. I purchased other legitimate stuff from him and assumed this was a early production Marquette. he used to go to auctions with a guy who owned one of the 66 bat mobiles and several newer mini bat mobile components. he took me to this guy's home and I was able to see his collection. I have been told it is not production made By a Major collector but Im still curious...
Please advice
thanks
Todd
By d_osborn
Dizzy26 wrote: June 5th, 2020, 5:06 pm Hello,
I also a resin copy of the second slimer in this post. Mine is the old brown resin color.
Were you ever able to figure out any history on it?
I got mine in 1991 from a guy who used to be a driver for the studios and had friends that did props. I purchased other legitimate stuff from him and assumed this was a early production Marquette. he used to go to auctions with a guy who owned one of the 66 bat mobiles and several newer mini bat mobile components. he took me to this guy's home and I was able to see his collection. I have been told it is not production made By a Major collector but Im still curious...
Please advice
thanks
Todd
Here is the Slimer piece in question, pics via the eBay auction.

According to two guys that were key in the design/FX of Slimer in the original film, it's not an original piece. Steve Johnson oversaw the design and creature FX for the character.

Creature FX artist and puppeteer Mark Brian Wilson wore the Slimer suit in the original film. Here he points out a few key missing elements in the piece.

Since you obtained it in '91, it's possible that it was from early development of Ghostbusters II. It doesn't match any of the looks ILM was developing at the time, though. The ILM Slimer maquettes are pretty well documented, as well. I'm reaching out to a few people.

It could also be cast from some sort of licensed merch sculpt? Fan made garage kit?
By Dizzy26
hello,
This could possibly be a prototype for the 1989 topps Ghodtbusters 2 candy dispenser.
They might have needed more room for candy and went with the final version?
There are area’s that look similar around mouth and eyes and back side?
That is just a educated guess?
I’m not sure if you could get a response from topps clarifying. Check out pictures and tell me what you think.
By d_osborn
Dizzy26 wrote: June 8th, 2020, 12:47 am hello,
This could possibly be a prototype for the 1989 topps Ghodtbusters 2 candy dispenser.
They might have needed more room for candy and went with the final version?
There are area’s that look similar around mouth and eyes and back side?
That is just a educated guess?
I’m not sure if you could get a response from topps clarifying. Check out pictures and tell me what you think.
This is what I had in my head, but I couldn't remember any details. It's possible. The size matches, general "Onionhead" look to the sculpt.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]