Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By 910dohead
robbritton wrote: June 10th, 2019, 10:41 am There were legal problems preventing the screening, apparently. Anthony and Claire Bueno were there, though, and screened an 18 minute highlight reel. Now, I'm annoyed because I can't find the source on Facebook, but the person who posted earlier today said that despite the disappointment there was loads of footage and bits they'd never seen before, and that the reel was fantastic. However, there were supposedly only about twenty people at said screening, as it clashed with meet and greets and other interviews, so it seems to a been a bit of a frustrating day all round for the documentary team.
"I was at the Cleanin' Up The Town panel. They were only able to show 18 minutes of the film (I guess due to legal reasons), but what they showed was amazing. Tons of behind the scenes photos and footage that has never been publicly seen before. Amazing interviews and tidbits, which really captured the cast and crews personalities. Jaw dropping stuff! Sadly, there were probably only 20 people in attendance since there were 10 other panels starting at the same time. I think it was a shame because this would've been a top highlight at Fan Fest for most people."

The Bueno team was heartbroken that they couldn't screen the entire film at the event. They found out two days prior that major chunks of the film couldn't be shown due to licensing. Antony, the director, spent the night before the event re-editing a reel of footage that they could show. It was also stated that the 18 minute reel they had shown was exclusive to the event and that it wasn't in the complete documentary. I could get into specifics of what was shown as there was stuff in there that blew my mind but I guess that would be spoilers?
robbritton liked this
It sucks that they were only able to show 18 minutes of footage. I really thought the whole thing would *finally* be shown. Considering the amount of interviews they have recorded, some with people no longer among the living, all of that footage really needs to be seen. I think it's about time someone tells Ghost Corps to look into buying the footage and releasing it as their own thing. They certainly won't have to worry about "licensing issues" very much, and we'd know it will actually be released.

By the way, if their "licensing issues" are film clips and music, just switch to stock music and license still photos, which are MUCH cheaper than moving clips. The interviews are the important thing here, not the music and film clips that fans have seen and heard a million times over.
By mrmichaelt
910dohead wrote: June 10th, 2019, 2:11 pmI could get into specifics of what was shown as there was stuff in there that blew my mind but I guess that would be spoilers?
The movie's 35 years old. Lay it on us. ;)
spookcentral wrote: June 13th, 2019, 11:59 pm It sucks that they were only able to show 18 minutes of footage. I really thought the whole thing would *finally* be shown. Considering the amount of interviews they have recorded, some with people no longer among the living, all of that footage really needs to be seen. I think it's about time someone tells Ghost Corps to look into buying the footage and releasing it as their own thing. They certainly won't have to worry about "licensing issues" very much, and we'd know it will actually be released.

By the way, if their "licensing issues" are film clips and music, just switch to stock music and license still photos, which are MUCH cheaper than moving clips. The interviews are the important thing here, not the music and film clips that fans have seen and heard a million times over.
I don't have any editing experience but given the amount of stories I've seen about Wizard World, I'd go out on a limb and guess the Buenos were told at the last minute about the "licensing issue" and rather than reedit the finished product, the better compromise was to go with unused files and edit together an 18 minute piece that didn't violate the "licensing issue."
robbritton liked this
By d_osborn
spookcentral wrote: June 13th, 2019, 11:59 pm The interviews are the important thing here, not the music and film clips that fans have seen and heard a million times over.
Hey, don't forget the archive material, buddy! :love:
mrmichaelt wrote: June 14th, 2019, 12:55 am I'd go out on a limb and guess the Buenos were told at the last minute about the "licensing issue" and rather than reedit the finished product, the better compromise was to go with unused files and edit together an 18 minute piece that didn't violate the "licensing issue."
More in this direction.

Anthony cut together the 18-minute reel the previous night. Dude is a machine. The other option was to not screen anything.

There was also a Q&A panel that a few people recorded.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
By mrmichaelt
d_osborn wrote: June 14th, 2019, 6:35 pmMore in this direction.

Anthony cut together the 18-minute reel the previous night. Dude is a machine. The other option was to not screen anything.
Oh my goodness...
d_osborn wrote: June 14th, 2019, 6:35 pm There was also a Q&A panel that a few people recorded.
I just realized the full release date hasn't come up yet. I think it was left as June 2019? And there be 2 weeks left this month.
From my understanding, the film will receive its premiere in May of next year at the 2020 Cannes film festival? Don't quote me on that though.

Now, I will go into details of what was seen in the 18 minute cut at Fan Fest (from what I can remember). We were told that the cut was exclusive to the event and a lot of the footage contained wasn't going to be included in the final film. So, these will be considered spoilers even if they may not be seen again. My recollection is somewhat scattered. As I wrote this out, I kept remembering other things so it is kind of all over the place. The cut was a lot more structured.

This Post Contains Spoilers
910dohead wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:44 am From my understanding, the film will receive its premiere in May of next year at the 2020 Cannes film festival? Don't quote me on that though.

Now, I will go into details of what was seen in the 18 minute cut at Fan Fest (from what I can remember). We were told that the cut was exclusive to the event and a lot of the footage contained wasn't going to be included in the final film. So, these will be considered spoilers even if they may not be seen again. My recollection is somewhat scattered. As I wrote this out, I kept remembering other things so it is kind of all over the place. The cut was a lot more structured.

This Post Contains Spoilers
Sounds like a lot of stories we've heard a bunch of times before(Terror dog audition, Steve Johnson getting the job, Slimer as Belushi etc).
What I'm mostly excited for is the GB2 stuff. That film is where the real treasure is.

I had heard it was suppose to premiere at *this* years Cannes. Next years films haven't even begun the process of being accepted.
By d_osborn
Thanks for the kind words, 910dohead! I'm the archival/editor/motion graphics guy.
910dohead wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:44 am From my understanding, the film will receive its premiere in May of next year at the 2020 Cannes film festival? Don't quote me on that though.
The doc was at Cannes this summer (2019). Lordy, I'm hoping it's out before Cannes 2020.
RichardLess wrote: July 8th, 2019, 1:55 pm Sounds like a lot of stories we've heard a bunch of times before(Terror dog audition, Steve Johnson getting the job, Slimer as Belushi etc).
What I'm mostly excited for is the GB2 stuff. That film is where the real treasure is.
GB is a cinema icon that's been the subject of numerous detailed books and articles over the years. The Greatest Hits are in there. There's also a ton of new stories and archival material to chew on, even for the most well-versed fans.

Of course, the GB2 doc doesn't exactly slouch in the new info/stories/archival departments. :love:
By Alex Newborn
I really like that lower right corner pic, of what I presume is the 'pants that unzip by themselves' rig being tested.

When Dan Wallace invited me to look over his manuscript for the big Visual History coffee table book, he cited a source that referred to that rig as a "miniature" and I urged him to remove that word, since a human hand is visible in the finished shot.

With the lack of photographic evidence at the time, and multiple possible interpretations of the existing verbal descriptions, I believe he did take that word out. But I've wondered a few times since if maybe it HAD been a miniature, possibly filmed in forced perspective with the zipper close to camera and the hand further away.

Each time I'd almost cave into that way of thinking, though, I would wonder why anyone would go to the trouble of making a MINIATURE zipper, belt, etc. when it would be a) far less effort to use off-the-hanger clothing and b) so much simpler to operate if it were larger than unnecessarily smaller.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on August 18th, 2019, 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roopjm liked this
By RichardLess
d_osborn wrote: August 16th, 2019, 2:11 pm Yay, new poster art!
I imagine the lack of a "No Ghost" logo is legal thing?
That's a pretty groovey poster I must say. I love the VHS tape that says "terror dog animation". Even though I'm more excited for the GB2 doc, if we ever get it, I want this in my eyeballs yesterday lol. Great Poster. Really highlights the behind the scenes nature of the film. Good stuff.
By Ectojeff88
Poster is cool but I wanna see this thing!!
I wonder how the delayed part 2 from part 1 release will be handled for Kickstarter backers? Will there be an early release digital copy until the whole physical package plus extra goodies arrive in another year?
By Coover5
Alex Newborn wrote: August 16th, 2019, 3:44 pm I really like that lower right corner pic, of what I presume is the 'pants that unzip by themselves' rig being tested.

When Dan Wallace invited me to look over his manuscript for the big Visual History coffee table book, he cited a source that referred to that rig as a "miniature" and I urged him to remove that word, since a human hand is visible in the finished shot.

With the lack of photographic evidence at the time, and multiple possible interpretations of the existing verbal descriptions, I believe he did take that word out. But I've wondered a few times since if maybe it HAD been a miniature, possibly filmed in forced perspective with the zipper close to camera and the hand further away.

Each time I'd almost cave into that way of thinking, though, I would wonder why anyone would go to the trouble of making a MINIATURE zipper, belt, etc. when it would be a) far less effort to use off-the-hanger clothing and b) so much simpler to operate if it were larger than unnecessarily smaller.

Alex
I always figured it was just a rig Aykroyd was wearing but now reviewing it's so obvious it's not a real person. That breathing effect is so distracting. And the effect looks like stop motion.
By d_osborn
Coover5 wrote: September 16th, 2019, 3:05 am I always figured it was just a rig Aykroyd was wearing but now reviewing it's so obvious it's not a real person. That breathing effect is so distracting. And the effect looks like stop motion.
Well if you happen to be in Calgary on 10/7, you can hear the story and technique directly from the source! :love: ...and possibly say hey to me and the rest of the doc crew!
mrmichaelt wrote: September 16th, 2019, 1:58 am Screening of Cleanin' Up the Town at Calgary Underground Film Festival
October 7
7-9 pm, repeat 9-11 pm
Globe Cinema (617 8 Ave SW, Calgary, Alberta T2P1H1)
Oooh, maybe some of the cast/crew for GB3 will drop by the screening!
mrmichaelt liked this
By Alex Newborn
Coover5 wrote: September 16th, 2019, 3:05 am
I always figured it was just a rig Aykroyd was wearing but now reviewing it's so obvious it's not a real person. That breathing effect is so distracting. And the effect looks like stop motion.
My interpretation is that it was done live, but took too much screen time, so in the final edit they decided to speed the footage up. This gives the zipper and belt's motions a 'stop motion' look and makes the rising/falling stomach seem unnaturally fast.

Alex
By d_osborn
The Calgary screening went REALLY well! A fan in the audience just posted his thoughts on a Facebook thread.

It's above my pay grade, but I'll try to keep this thread updated with distribution info as it comes in. :love:
Few days ago our illustrious city Calgary had the privilege to see “Cleaning Up the town : remembering Ghostbusters ” a Ghostbusters in-depth documentary on the process and challenges of the development of the 1984 film. Personally I have spent countless hours looking up what little there is about the making and development on YouTube and bonus features. Finally the film is here to answer all.

Anthony Bueno ,Claire Bueno, Derek Osborn bring all the questions and curious wonders to the screen . Capturing interesting never been seen footage, cast and crew humour and all the challenges the 1984 crew were given. After a decade of development this wonderful picture walks you through an emotional ride of the stress and ground breaking work that was done.

For all Ghostheads / Fans this will be a film that is everything expected and more . Spread the word and we may have our own copy’s added to our collection very soon .
back, robbritton, Kingpin and 1 others liked this

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]