Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By mrmichaelt
On Monday, a twitter user was pointed to this page
https://twitter.com/GhostbustersDoc/sta ... 2555738113
https://buenoproductions.com/films/clea ... stbusters/

I think the only new info is

-The France VOD release is March 26

-The UK DVD release on Amazon is May 4

-The 2nd Broadcast run by Sky NZ TV in New Zealand will be March 3 to April 11.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
By deadderek
My franchise got a copy while in Canada, and we set up a private theatrical screening a few days ago. Hands down the best GB documentary out there.
robbritton, mrmichaelt, ccv66 and 1 others liked this
Imagine being the Bueno’s? You’ve worked on this documentary for over a decade, putting your blood sweat & tears into what amounts to a passion project. You do a kickstarter, get the funds, finish the movie, then run into rights issues. Finally everything seems to be looking like it’s going to be ok and...

Netflix releases a TV show called “Movies That Made Us” that goes over some of the exact same stories & material & beats your release date by a few months. What a kick in the teeth.

So this documentary is...exactly what I thought it was going to be. Any die hard ghosthead that’s read all the books, articles and interviews just isn’t going to get too many new details out of this. The best stuff was the post production material. Had I not seen Movies That Made Us a couple months ago I might be more positive. But if you aren’t someone whose heard all the stories, read all the articles, etc...then this Documentary is a treasure. It distils all those articles and books into one source. I just felt like “Ugh, this story again?” on quite a few occasions. But I realize for most people it won’t be like that.

Personally, Part 2 is what I’m *really* looking forward to. I hope I don’t have to wait years and years to see it but that’s the real prize. The development & making of GB2 is the real meat and potatoes of this franchise(besides all the undeveloped GB3 scripts). And we’ve seen & heard so little about it in comparison to GB1. I can’t wait...
By d_osborn
Welcome to being well-read on a subject, Rick. :love: Separate documentaries covering the same subject have similar content--shocker! I feel like we’ve gone over this.

GB is a cinema icon that's been the subject of numerous detailed books and articles for over thirty years. The Greatest Hits are in there. There are also new stories and gobs of freshly unearthed archival material to chew on, even for the most well-versed fans. The photo/video archival material that isn't new is presented in better quality than ever before.

I’ve heard from several franchise historians that were blown away by new info and content. To expect all fresh stories on something that has been covered extensively for over thirty years in print and video is a bit of a stretch.

I’ll agree with you on the GB2 doc, though. :-)
d_osborn wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 12:05 pm Welcome to being well-read on a subject, Rick. :love: Separate documentaries covering the same subject have similar content--shocker! I feel like we’ve gone over this.

GB is a cinema icon that's been the subject of numerous detailed books and articles for over thirty years. The Greatest Hits are in there. There are also new stories and gobs of freshly unearthed archival material to chew on, even for the most well-versed fans. The photo/video archival material that isn't new is presented in better quality than ever before.

I’ve heard from several franchise historians that were blown away by new info and content. To expect all fresh stories on something that has been covered extensively for over thirty years in print and video is a bit of a stretch.

We’ve gone over “this” in personal messages to each other. When I post on a forum, a public forum, I’m not thinking about topics I’ve covered separately with individuals privately.

I should probably point out that this is easily the best Ghostbusters documentary that’s been made. Hands down. It’s not even close. But there are only so many facts and stories a production has to offer. That’s just a fact of life. It’s not the documentaries fault. While I have minor gripes about the documentary as a whole, the fact that the same stories are told from one project to another is just the way these things go. As a Jaws fan, trust me, this isn’t my first rodeo. If I hear Richard Dreyfuss imitate the walkie talkie “The shark is not working” story one more time I might go insane lol.

As I said, if someone *hasnt* heard these production anecdotes and stories before? Then you’ll be in for quite a ride. And, again, it’s great just to have all these various making of stories that have appeared in different articles and books and commentaries in one big film. Plus the stuff from the guys who worked at BOSS is worth the price of admission alone. Steve Johnston is an interesting character. I’ve heard he’s not the most popular guy in the effects community & I can kind of see why that might be, but he’s a great storyteller.
Doctor Venkman liked this
By d_osborn
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 2:48 pm
d_osborn wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 12:05 pm Welcome to being well-read on a subject, Rick. :love: Separate documentaries covering the same subject have similar content--shocker! I feel like we’ve gone over this.

We’ve gone over “this” in personal messages to each other. When I post on a forum, a public forum, I’m not thinking about topics I’ve covered separately with individuals privately.

I should probably point out that this is easily the best Ghostbusters documentary that’s been made. Hands down. It’s not even close. But there are only so many facts and stories a production has to offer. That’s just a fact of life. It’s not the documentaries fault. While I have minor gripes about the documentary as a whole, the fact that the same stories are told from one project to another is just the way these things go. As a Jaws fan, trust me, this isn’t my first rodeo. If I hear Richard Dreyfuss imitate the walkie talkie “The shark is not working” story one more time I might go insane lol.

As I said, if someone *hasnt* heard these production anecdotes and stories before? Then you’ll be in for quite a ride. And, again, it’s great just to have all these various making of stories that have appeared in different articles and books and commentaries in one big film. Plus the stuff from the guys who worked at BOSS is worth the price of admission alone. Steve Johnston is an interesting character. I’ve heard he’s not the most popular guy in the effects community & I can kind of see why that might be, but he’s a great storyteller.
I'm pretty sure we had the same convo in the thread, too. :-)

I guess I'm more of a photo/video guy than stories. Not that I don't love tales from the set, but we live in a time with so much GB BTS content surfacing. The latest 4K was a gold mine. CUTT, Reelz, TMTMU, The Visual History, Hayne's Ecto Manual, auctions, collections, the upcoming Legacy book covering both movies, James Greene's INCREDIBLE sounding book covering both movies, all sorts of fun stuff! We were scooped on a bunch of material, but I welcome anything that has new stuff. There's a ton that hasn't been seen.

I'm glad you liked the doc otherwise, though! Thanks for the kind words.

Agreed on the BOSS Film crew. It'll never happen, I wish Ivan would get back to his roots and develop a raunchy 80s comedy about the making of GB, focusing on BOSS. Sex, drugs, ghosts, rock and roll, crazy-ass characters. It's all there.
By jg2
Hi, this is the aforementioned James Greene, Jr. Long time listener, first time caller.

Thank you, d_osborn, for hyping the book I'm currently writing. Very flattered by the enthusiasm. It will, in fact, be a history of all the GB films (even the ones they never made) and the dynamic personalities involved (yes, the cartoons and the video games will also be covered). Lyons Press will publish it sometime in 2021. Digging extra deep on this, trying to address all sorts of stuff that's been glossed over or ignored elsewhere, and hopefully creating something engaging and informative for ghostheads and normies alike.

I've written two books before, so I guess you could say this isn't my first rodeo. Still, I'm always learning, and this project in particular has helped bring a lot of things into focus about my craft.

I haven't seen Cleanin' yet but I'm dying to because I know they did the work. And no matter how many times a story's been told, I think there's always potential to learn something new or see it from a fresh perspective.

EDIT: I have no idea why "video games" is linking to Walmart. I didn't do that. First post and I'm already haunted.
Last edited by jg2 on March 4th, 2020, 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kingpin, deadderek, Alex Newborn and 1 others liked this
By RichardLess
d_osborn wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 9:22 pm
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 2:48 pm

I'm pretty sure we had the same convo in the thread, too. :-)

I guess I'm more of a photo/video guy than stories. Not that I don't love tales from the set, but we live in a time with so much GB BTS content surfacing. The latest 4K was a gold mine. CUTT, Reelz, TMTMU, The Visual History, Hayne's Ecto Manual, auctions, collections, the upcoming Legacy book covering both movies, James Greene's INCREDIBLE sounding book covering both movies, all sorts of fun stuff! We were scooped on a bunch of material, but I welcome anything that has new stuff. There's a ton that hasn't been seen.

I'm glad you liked the doc otherwise, though! Thanks for the kind words.

Agreed on the BOSS Film crew. It'll never happen, I wish Ivan would get back to his roots and develop a raunchy 80s comedy about the making of GB, focusing on BOSS. Sex, drugs, ghosts, rock and roll, crazy-ass characters. It's all there.
That’s an amazing idea. I have a feeling when George Lucas passes away or Steve Spielberg, we are going to get some great biopics. The creation of ILM is legendary. And I WOULD LOVE to see the same thing with Ghostbusters. There’s a great film on Netflix about the late Doug Kenney who was a founder of National Lampoons and co-wrote Animal House & Caddy Shack. Will Forte plays him. It’s pretty good.

One thing I didn’t mention that I also loved? Seeing Dan’s original script brought to life with animation. That was great. I also loved hearing Randy Cook talk about the messy stop motion animation of the terror dog running out of the building after Louis & why it’s so janky looking. I loved hearing him say he would’ve done it over again and that he wasn’t there to supervise it. Makes you wonder eh? If only they had taken the measurements from the set & if only the stop motion set hadn’t been struck. We’d have a better looking stop motion effect. That’s one effect I always wish they’d fix up a bit.

The biggest & best thing though? I just love seeing Harold Ramis talk about this film for what would be the last time. Man...seeing him look so healthy and full of life as ever, if only he and Bill could’ve made up years ago. If only.

One story I hadn’t heard from pre production was John Candy pricing himself out of the Louis role. I had always heard the “creative” differences reason. But not the money thing.
NSGhostbusters liked this
Also one of the lucky ones to have gotten to view it already (being in the US). Didn't pirate it, everything was totally above board. And WOW. This is just an incredible documentary.

This had way more info and details than The Movies That Made Us, which was fun in its own right.

The care that the Bueno's put into it totally shows! This was so enjoyable! It was so much fun to hear these stories directly from the sources and confirm so many long-held rumors. I learned some new things and it really invigorated my love of the franchise. To the Bueno's, I can only say "WELL DONE!"

This is truly a gift to the fandom! And personally, I can't wait for TOO HOT TO HANDLE: Remembering Ghostbusters II!
By d_osborn
jg2 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 9:30 am Hi, this is the aforementioned James Greene, Jr. Long time listener, first time caller.

Thank you, d_osborn, for hyping the book I'm currently writing. Very flattered by the enthusiasm. It will, in fact, be a history of all the GB films (even the ones they never made) and the dynamic personalities involved (yes, the cartoons and the video games will also be covered). Lyons Press will publish it sometime in 2021. Digging extra deep on this, trying to address all sorts of stuff that's been glossed over or ignored elsewhere, and hopefully creating something engaging and informative for ghostheads and normies alike.

I've written two books before, so I guess you could say this isn't my first rodeo. Still, I'm always learning, and this project in particular has helped bring a lot of things into focus about my craft.

I haven't seen Cleanin' yet but I'm dying to because I know they did the work. And no matter how many times a story's been told, I think there's always potential to learn something new or see it from a fresh perspective.
Thanks for the correction, my man-- and EVEN BETTER!!! :love:
Doctor Venkman wrote: March 4th, 2020, 1:08 pm Also one of the lucky ones to have gotten to view it already (being in the US). Didn't pirate it, everything was totally above board. And WOW. This is just an incredible documentary.

This had way more info and details than The Movies That Made Us, which was fun in its own right.

The care that the Bueno's put into it totally shows! This was so enjoyable! It was so much fun to hear these stories directly from the sources and confirm so many long-held rumors. I learned some new things and it really invigorated my love of the franchise. To the Bueno's, I can only say "WELL DONE!"

This is truly a gift to the fandom! And personally, I can't wait for TOO HOT TO HANDLE: Remembering Ghostbusters II!
I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for not pirating. :-)
RichardLess wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 11:28 am That’s an amazing idea. I have a feeling when George Lucas passes away or Steve Spielberg, we are going to get some great biopics. The creation of ILM is legendary. And I WOULD LOVE to see the same thing with Ghostbusters. There’s a great film on Netflix about the late Doug Kenney who was a founder of National Lampoons and co-wrote Animal House & Caddy Shack. Will Forte plays him. It’s pretty good.

One thing I didn’t mention that I also loved? Seeing Dan’s original script brought to life with animation. That was great. I also loved hearing Randy Cook talk about the messy stop motion animation of the terror dog running out of the building after Louis & why it’s so janky looking. I loved hearing him say he would’ve done it over again and that he wasn’t there to supervise it. Makes you wonder eh? If only they had taken the measurements from the set & if only the stop motion set hadn’t been struck. We’d have a better looking stop motion effect. That’s one effect I always wish they’d fix up a bit.

The biggest & best thing though? I just love seeing Harold Ramis talk about this film for what would be the last time. Man...seeing him look so healthy and full of life as ever, if only he and Bill could’ve made up years ago. If only.

One story I hadn’t heard from pre production was John Candy pricing himself out of the Louis role. I had always heard the “creative” differences reason. But not the money thing.
I'm glad you liked the Heavy Metal-esque rotoscope animation! That was done by a fantastic group from the UK. It broke my heart that the original script never surfaced, but we all felt like the animation was a cool route to go. Plus the Heavy Metal inspiration kept it in the family, so to speak.

The Terror Dog animation tests were wild, too. That all was sourced from an ancient 24 frame VHS-based pencil test animation system. TONS of leg work there. I literally went to the guy that invented it, but no one had a solution on how to pull the footage from the tape. I was able to extract individual frames, which was processed into the footage in the doc.
NSGhostbusters liked this
By RichardLess
Has anyone else viewed the documentary off of AppleTV??

When I watched it they advertise a runtime of something like 2 hours and 20 minutes. But then when you actually play it, it’s 2 hours 7 minutes. Has anyone else had this issue?
By mrmichaelt
Latest update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... ts/2777165

"Digital Copy

This has been setup, however we have a technical issue which needs to be resolved and our web developer is working hard to fix it. We will start to send this out as soon as it has been resolved and we can only apologise for the delay.

Blu-ray / DVD

The UK release has been confirmed as 4th May, 2020. We are working directly now with the distributor as we intend to send all of your copies worldwide in line with this date, in a region free format, along with all of your other incentives."
Man. This movie has no luck at all does it?

Kew Media, the company that distributed the documentary just went bankrupt: https://deadline.com/2020/02/kew-media- ... 202853095/
https://deadline.com/2020/03/kew-media- ... 202872027/

How this affects the sequel, I’m not sure. How it affects an eventual blu ray release, also unsure. But having the main distributor of your film collapse right in the middle of it getting released is...not good.

The makers of this documentary have been put thru the ringer, and now this? Maybe D_Osborn might have some insight on what this means, if anything, for the future of the documentary
By mrmichaelt
RichardLess wrote:The makers of this documentary have been put thru the ringer, and now this? Maybe D_Osborn might have some insight on what this means, if anything, for the future of the documentary
Yes, it's an unfortunate development. But in the latest update post I linked to a few posts up on March 6, they did acknowledge Kew saying, "You may have read in the media that our sales agent Kew Media Group have gone into administration, which has understandably set us back a bit. Please be assured that this will not affect you receiving your incentives." I think that's why their projected January release is now looking to be May for the Blu-ray/DVDs. So seems like they already mitigated the issue.
By d_osborn
Ectojeff88 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 11:39 am Got my email with digital copy link! However there’s no option to download? How do we actually “get” the digital version I wonder?
I'm in the dark on this stuff, but it sounds like it's a streaming link, not a download. This is how all other Kickstarter movie projects I've backed did it.
RichardLess wrote: March 8th, 2020, 1:57 am The makers of this documentary have been put thru the ringer, and now this? Maybe D_Osborn might have some insight on what this means, if anything, for the future of the documentary
There's been so much drama behind the scenes that the Buenos could easily make a Ken Burns-style epic docuseries on the making of Cleanin'.

As far as insight, Kickstarter digital incentives went out today, so all systems are GO! :-)
By Ectojeff88
The stream link is very sluggish. It’s taking FOREVER to watch. With the digital incentives having gone out today, will US VOD vendors get it soon maybe? I need this in my iTunes library!
By d_osborn
Ectojeff88 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 3:54 pm The stream link is very sluggish. It’s taking FOREVER to watch. With the digital incentives having gone out today, will US VOD vendors get it soon maybe? I need this in my iTunes library!
I'm guessing everyone is trying to watch it at once.

No idea on US VOD, but I'll be shouting it from the rooftops as soon as I know something.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
d_osborn wrote: March 10th, 2020, 3:44 pm There's been so much drama behind the scenes that the Buenos could easily make a Ken Burns-style epic docuseries on the making of Cleanin'.
They better get started on documentaries about the other 2 movies and The Video Game. ;)
By mrmichaelt
below_radar_00 wrote:Has anyone been able to get the stream to work? I've been trying all day and no luck.
Some buffering every few seconds for me and that's on a high speed 5G dual band then it was okay and playing fine after a few minutes.
By mrmichaelt
Ectojeff88 wrote: March 11th, 2020, 1:44 am Is there still an anticipated release window for Part 2? Like December 2020 or January 2021?
Good question. As of February 1, they said they were in post for Part 2. And I think in 2017, at the time, their plan was to release Part 2 a few months after Part 1's Blu-ray/DVD released. Your guesses sound pretty good but I think a conservative estimate would be spring next year. I'd guess they might give their first tentative date this summer after Part 1 distribution is all done and they can focus everything on Part 2.
How do you watch this?
Serious question, I know there's 12 years+ of history w/ this thing, but it appears at least half of it is done and released, right?
I'm lost, out of touch, and confused.

- Ghostbusters Fan in North America

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]