Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Ghostytheghost
Hey, I'm John. The guy who went to Comic Con and won a Playmobil RGB Peter Venkman set from the Stay Puft San Diego photo contest. Anyway, I'm satisfied with the 2009 video game and the 2016 movie, but I still wanted to convert the video game into Ghostbusters 3. There was that edit from a couple years ago (and I have it) that could be used as the footage. I have a boxart design right here:
It's in the style of the 1999 DVDs of the first two, so it feels appropriate for its time. I have a disc label edited together, but I'm not using it until I get the DVD finalized. Here's the label anyway:
Got this off CustomManiacs and felt like this was good enough for the GB3 vibe. Anyway, that 1998 text is a reference to how there was Ghostbusters 3 credited for 1998 on the original DVD of Blues Brothers 2000. The font I used for the title is actually Beaufort Bold, not that publicly available crap-hat of a font. From what I could tell from the contents, it could fit on a basic DVD-R disc or a DVD+R DL disc. Anything else that should be contributed? Let me know, and thanks for reading!
By One time
Awesome!!

For me, Dan Aykroyd, and for many others the game really is the real GB3. Well, real as in a sequel to GB1 and GB2 and tying the stories together. ATC kind of stands apart on its own. This cover kind of makes that reality come true!

I think this version (The Remastered Cut, not the Extended Remastered) is the best version out there. It uses HSAA aliasing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnjwTawLufw

PS: Though I think it should have featured the Pumps - Ghostbusters theme on the box art somewhere. That song is considered the "unofficial" soundtrack of GBTVG by many fans. I'm not familiar with the "Everybody" and "Unfixable" music videos, what are they?
Last edited by One time on October 1st, 2018, 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Ghostytheghost
Two songs I just think work with the vibe. Backstreet Boys and Will Ryan (DAGames/Diamond Armada) respectively. I’ll add the Pumps theme to a soundtrack listing at one point. Thankfully, I can change the cover to include some of the new stuff. The music vids are along the line of how certain movies have music videos of the songs recorded for them, and the GB2 Blu-ray including the On Our Own music video. If things don’t work out, I might remove them, or at least one. :whatever:
By One time
Ghostytheghost wrote: September 28th, 2018, 1:53 pm Two songs I just think work with the vibe. Backstreet Boys and Will Ryan (DAGames/Diamond Armada) respectively. I’ll add the Pumps theme to a soundtrack listing at one point. Thankfully, I can change the cover to include some of the new stuff. The music vids are along the line of how certain movies have music videos of the songs recorded for them, and the GB2 Blu-ray including the On Our Own music video. If things don’t work out, I might remove them, or at least one. :whatever:

Great.

The Pumps song was actually commissioned for GBTVG by Terminal Reality. It was going to be used as the main title track and feature on TV ads for Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Kyle Richard from Terminal Reality helped with the mix and added official Ghostbusters: The Video Game sounds into it. Until one day Sony decided that because Pumps was not signed to Sony, the game wouldn't feature the song afterall. The developers at Terminal Reality were sad that they couldn't use it, so there is some genuine history with GBTVG.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... al-2124185

On a "official" cover like this I'd stick with the "official" songs, because everybody's tastes are different, but that's me. To reiterate, the cover looks great!

If I can offer some constructive feedback: Maybe it's missing some pink and purple shades in the color balance but that's my opinion. I think the GBTVG palette was heavy into green, pink and purple (judging from the color of most ghosts and the equipment in the Shandor Island slime factories scenes).
By Ghostytheghost
All right, the front shot of NYC has a purple tint, the spine has the correct render of Slimer, the Special Features blurb is updated, and that Side A text is replaced with the Dual Layer stuff from the GB1 DVD.
One time liked this
By Alex Newborn
The back cover says "It's 1991"... but on the front cover you've pasted the quartet onto a photo from 2011 at the earliest, since a billboard for The Book of Mormon is visible.

Was there no 'Times Square' shot from the game itself that would have worked for a background behind the posed GBs?

Alex
By Ghostytheghost
It was a pretty specific shot of NYC that relied on the angle. I hope there’s shots of the city relative to the year 1991.
By Ghostytheghost

Okaaayyy, the front cover now has a relevant (to the movie/game) shot of NYC. It even has that blur into the back cover's shot of NYC. Thanks for lettin' me know about the inconsistencies, Alex.
Sav C liked this
By One time
Wow, amazing!!

Couple of points (opinions)

- I believe the term XGB was not an official name so would not be used on an official product.
- I prefer the first background (2nd, purple version). I feel that the composite cutout of the guys works better (looks more realistic). It also says "New York" more than the last version. And NY was a character in GB.

These are pictures taken of Times Square in 1991. Perhaps you can use the logo's and ads to fill in the big empty ad on the second one and the anachronistic ad on the right.

Macy's Thanksgiving Parade 1991
http://www.barnum-review.com/portfolio/ ... -new-york/

Image below is 1986 but the Minolta ad is the same

These two videos confirm there was a huge Minolta sign there in 1991.

06:35s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHzPBBnYRe8

https://vimeo.com/88025475

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51KE9EKyb4

Also I searched for some official GBTVG assets if you want to replace the 2016 ATC slimer with a VG specific version. I don't think you need to but incase you want to. I found these:

Last edited by One time on October 1st, 2018, 8:58 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sav C liked this
By Ghostytheghost
I believe the term XGB was not an official name so would not be used on an official product.
I was having loads of problems just typing the bonus content on the back of the cover, although I do remember the XGB acronym being used in a commercial for the show.
I prefer the first background (2nd, purple version). I feel that the composite cutout of the guys works better (looks more realistic).
It's kinda too late to revert the backgrounds back to the last one, since my Photoshop file now has the current BGs of this and the layers were merged. Maybe I could rework the backgrounds altogether with the ones you showed me.
Also I searched for some official GBTVG assets if you want to replace the 2016 ATC slimer with a VG specific version.
Thanks for the suggestion although I'm quite fine with what I have here. Fortunately, I do have the correct Slimer render on the spine :)

On a side note, I have the artwork for a soundtrack CD prepared. I'll print it out for a jewel case and get the songs prepared soon. I also have interest in doing a 2005 style DVD boxart. You know, the slime covers? I just need the proper slime background for it.
By One time
Ghostytheghost wrote: October 1st, 2018, 7:30 am
I believe the term XGB was not an official name so would not be used on an official product.
I was having loads of problems just typing the bonus content on the back of the cover, although I do remember the XGB acronym being used in a commercial for the show.
I prefer the first background (2nd, purple version). I feel that the composite cutout of the guys works better (looks more realistic).
It's kinda too late to revert the backgrounds back to the last one, since my Photoshop file now has the current BGs of this and the layers were merged. Maybe I could rework the backgrounds altogether with the ones you showed me.
Also I searched for some official GBTVG assets if you want to replace the 2016 ATC slimer with a VG specific version.
Thanks for the suggestion although I'm quite fine with what I have here. Fortunately, I do have the correct Slimer render on the spine :)

On a side note, I have the artwork for a soundtrack CD prepared. I'll print it out for a jewel case and get the songs prepared soon. I also have interest in doing a 2005 style DVD boxart. You know, the slime covers? I just need the proper slime background for it.

I tried to give it a shot, but it's not good enough.

edit: updated with better version below
Last edited by One time on October 1st, 2018, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ghostytheghost
One time wrote: October 1st, 2018, 8:18 am
Ghostytheghost wrote: October 1st, 2018, 7:30 am

I tried to give it a shot, but it's not good enough.

Thanks for the quick edit. Now I don't need to worry about the boxart anymore. Anyway, who knows where that slime background from the 2005 DVD comes from? I have another PSD open, ready to make the 2005 style. And for the disc label, I'm definitely gonna try to replicate that sketch effect. I think it's easy.
By One time
Here's the DVD:

I removed the logo and the font:

These slime assets were released by Ghost Corps a while back:

Gave the cover another shot, for what it's worth.

Last edited by One time on October 1st, 2018, 10:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ghostytheghost liked this
By Ghostytheghost
I'm happy with what you did, One time. And thanks for the slime assets. If I can remember how far I got on the 2005 DVD, I got the logo, title, credit text, and cast names on. I gotta continue it later since I'm at college now. As for now, thanks for the help, everyone. ;)
One time liked this
By Kingpin
One time wrote: October 1st, 2018, 6:38 amI believe the term XGB was not an official name so would not be used on an official product.
Lyrics from the theme song that didn't make it into the episode intro, but did crop up in show publicity included a reference to XGB. You can hear it (as well as see a couple visual references to "XGB") in this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chbRhhB-Jbc
By Ghostytheghost

DVD has been printed!! :D

WIPs of the soundtrack art! I REALLY love the glows I set up on the title on the front.

And a WIP shot of the 2005 boxart!
Sav C, One time liked this
By Ghostytheghost
And now, THE 2005 BOXART!

The disc art (both 1999 and 2005) still isn't finished, but I'm amazed by all the progress I have made.
Sav C, One time liked this
By Kingpin
I know it's too late to change, but I would definitely suggest going with one of the historically correct 1991 shots of Times Square, even if it doesn't quite reflect the look of the area in the game... And I'd ditch the green/purple hues that've been utilised as they don't really make the photo look like the game.
By Ghostytheghost
Kingpin wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 6:50 am I know it's too late to change, but I would definitely suggest going with one of the historically correct 1991 shots of Times Square, even if it doesn't quite reflect the look of the area in the game... And I'd ditch the green/purple hues that've been utilised as they don't really make the photo look like the game.
Yeah, it kinda is, unfortunately. I do admire how One time helped out with the signs in the front cover, but I honestly don't want to go back to constantly changing the shots of NYC. It's a LOT of trouble just to make a decent cover. So yeah, I'm finished with the 1999 and 2005 covers. I still got the soundtrack and discs (both DVDs and OST) to finish.
By One time
Ghostytheghost wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 7:01 am
Kingpin wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 6:50 am I know it's too late to change, but I would definitely suggest going with one of the historically correct 1991 shots of Times Square, even if it doesn't quite reflect the look of the area in the game... And I'd ditch the green/purple hues that've been utilised as they don't really make the photo look like the game.
Yeah, it kinda is, unfortunately. I do admire how One time helped out with the signs in the front cover, but I honestly don't want to go back to constantly changing the shots of NYC. It's a LOT of trouble just to make a decent cover. So yeah, I'm finished with the 1999 and 2005 covers. I still got the soundtrack and discs (both DVDs and OST) to finish.
They look awesome!!!!! I'm gonna examine them in detail.

One tip: the cityscape cover still features the negative image colors from when you changed the tint to purple. In my version I layered both and erased the bottom half of the image so the original colors for the signs and stuff would show through. You might wanna do that, it's a simple fix in PS. Or send me your final and I'll do it.
By Ghostytheghost
I gotta say something regarding the extras for the DVD. The BTS thing will be from the video game's extras, but Reworking Shandor is undecided. Also, I'm letting you guys contribute with music videos mainly because I suck at music videos. The two episodes of XGB need to be from something like Hulu. The episodes are "Fear Itself" and "Grundelesque". They'll need to be PMed too, so it's not publicly up for grabs. Like I said, if you want to help, let me know and you'll be onboard.

UPDATE:
I forgot to mention that the soundtrack artwork is done.
One time liked this
By Ghostytheghost
In case anyone's interested, the font used for the title on all of this is Beaufort Bold. It looks much closer to the actual Ghostbusters title than that ghostbus.ttf file I've seen. Other good lookalike fonts include Elan Bold and Silverado Bold. Maybe even Timeless-Bold.
Mruss317 liked this
    Proton Props UK

A handful? Really? Good luck with your wait, I ho[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]