Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By chris8414
Does anyone know or have an Ghostbusters 2 Original Score Album by Randy Edelman? Did they even release an original score for the second movie? I can't seem to find one. I have the original score from the first film, but am looking for one from the second. Thanks for the help.
By Kingpin
The copies that have circulated were rips from the DVD of the film, which is why you hear occasional sound effects during the music tracks. To-date, there's never been an official release of Randy Edelman's score, unlike Elmer Bernstein's.
Sony and Columbia Pictures apparently lost the Master Tapes that contained Randy Edelman's GB II Score, which is why it still hasn't been officially released.
The best bootleg edition that I have seen was titled "Ghostbusters II Expanded Motion Picture Soundtrack" "Songs by Various Artists" "Music by Randy Edelman" There is 45 Tracks total and it contains the score to every single scene in the movie, as well as every single song that was played in the movie. (In chronological order) It also contains the rest of the tracks from the official GB II OST Release, and it also includes 2 versions of the Ray Parker Jr. Ghostbusters Theme Song from the official GB I OST Release. (The Original Version, and the Instrumental Version.)
pizzarat liked this
Jason over at Ghostbusters News just today posted some great news!! Edelman’s score is getting an official release next year with the composer’s direct involvement!!

https://ghostbustersnews.com/2020/08/09 ... -released/

This is amazing! I hope it releases on February 14th. A fun reference to the movie and perfectly timed for the lead up to Afterlife on March 5th!
pizzarat, mrmichaelt, Glenn Frederick and 4 others liked this
I'm very excited to hear this. The score for this film suited the second film so yes while I like Elmer's better I do do really enjoy this score as well and it will be great to have a new album to go with perhaps an Afterlife score too
By GBfan77
RichardLess wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 2:06 am Sorry if this has been asked but does anyone know if this is a re-recording of the music or the original recordings? Because...

I thought the original recordings went missing or were destroyed?
I'm not sure. I know the composer is involved so maybe this is a re-recording.
By d_osborn
I'm guessing the "lost/destroyed GB2 score masters" was just a big rumor. Segments of the GB2 score were used in the supplemental features from the 2014 Blu-ray release, so they've been kicking around Sony for at least that long.
robbritton, Sav C liked this
d_osborn wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 1:13 pm I'm guessing the "lost/destroyed GB2 score masters" was just a big rumor. Segments of the GB2 score were used in the supplemental features from the 2014 Blu-ray release, so they've been kicking around Sony for at least that long.
I hope that’s true. But they could easily rip the music from the film itself and isolate it from the dialogue and sound effects.

I could be wrong on this but I seem to remember Randy Edelman himself saying that the masters were lost or whatever happened.

Its a wonder how that even happens. I think Elmer Bernstein’s score to “The Black Cauldron” is also one of those “lost scores”. You’d think these major companies would be able to keep track of these things.
By Kingpin
RichardLess wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 2:54 pmBut they could easily rip the music from the film itself and isolate it from the dialogue and sound effects.
I don't know if it is always 'that easy' to isolate the audio effects and remove them from the music track... I get the impression on occasion the effects and music tracks can get merged together and become inseparable, that's why previous fan rips of the score from Ghostbusters II and other movies are marred with sound effects, and why the isolated scores on the Time Life Real Ghostbusters set aren't truly isolated.

It could be they've found an untarnished copy in the archives which they didn't locate the last time they looked, or they're recreating it from scratch (much easier to do with a computer/electronic-based score, which I believe Edelman's to be, compared to Elmer Bernstein's).
d_osborn wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 5:03 pm Other than a few titles, I don't really pay attention to movie score releases. Are re-recordings common in score releases?
It happens but I don’t know how common they are. But I do know you have to be careful when purchasing film scores on places like ITunes. Most people want the original but often times a re recording from a lesser orchestra is available. This happened to me a few times when I downloaded some John Williams scores. Most compilation albums are re-recorded. So yes I would say it’s fairly common.

Sometimes companies do it to circumvent pricey royalties. Certain orchestras have it so that when a song or album is purchased or licensed to use in a film/TV Show, not only does the composer get royalties but so does the orchestra/performers. Think of it like when a TV show or movie uses a cover band for a popular song from the Rolling Stones or Beatles. It’s cheaper than licensing the actual song. Same principle here.
Kingpin liked this
By Kingpin
d_osborn wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 5:03 pm Other than a few titles, I don't really pay attention to movie score releases. Are re-recordings common in score releases?
I've not encountered a direct example of a whole score being re-scored. :whatever: I know that for some reason some seem to go through a long editing process before they're released on CD.
By Sav C
Kingpin wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 3:09 pm
RichardLess wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 2:54 pmBut they could easily rip the music from the film itself and isolate it from the dialogue and sound effects.
I don't know if it is always 'that easy' to isolate the audio effects and remove them from the music track... I get the impression on occasion the effects and music tracks can get merged together and become inseparable, that's why previous fan rips of the score from Ghostbusters II and other movies are marred with sound effects, and why the isolated scores on the Time Life Real Ghostbusters set aren't truly isolated.
I'm not an audio engineer, but to the best of my knowledge they need a clean copy of the dialogue/sound effects if they are to be able to remove the dialogue from the merged master track.
Kingpin liked this
By d_osborn
d_osborn wrote: August 23rd, 2020, 1:13 pm I'm guessing the "lost/destroyed GB2 score masters" was just a big rumor. Segments of the GB2 score were used in the supplemental features from the 2014 Blu-ray release, so they've been kicking around Sony for at least that long.
Perhaps there was some validity to the "lost masters" after all! For a few tracks, at least.
Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
Seth Rex wrote:Speaking of scores, is the 84 score now out of print? Amazon seems to be selling it for over 100 and that's only 3rd party sellers.
Yes, but they were subtle about it. I recall the press release said it was a special reissue for the 35th anniversary. So just like that latest 4K/Blu-ray set, it was a limited release.
So Randy Edelman has been doing interviews these last few weeks and in a couple of them he touches on Ghostbusters 2. Each time he does he says “it’s a long story that I won’t get into” & in one of the interviews one of the interviewers presses him and it gets a bit… awkward. You can find them on YouTube.

One thing I learned? Randy Edelman is…not lacking in the ego department. Certain interviews he seems engaged while others he seems aloof and extremely off putting. Very odd vibe.

Anyways there’s a few of these interviews made within the last month. I haven’t watch them all so maybe he gives more info on what happened. Frankly after watching the two interviews…I’ve had my fill of Randy Edelman for the foreseeable future. But anyone who wants to go down the rabbit hole? Knock yourself out. Maybe he’ll tell this “long story” that he refuses to divulge.

I can’t link at the moment but just YouTube search his name and limit the search to this last month and I’m sure you’ll find what I’m talking about. He seems to be doing the interviews to promote some song he’s worked on.

Edit: Screw it. Here’s the link to where he talks about it FINALLY. GB2 talk starts around 920ish.

robbritton liked this
By robbritton
Seth Rex wrote: August 10th, 2021, 8:40 pm Speaking of scores, is the 84 score now out of print? Amazon seems to be selling it for over 100 and that's only 3rd party sellers.
It's still up for under £10 on Amazon UK. Not sure if that's any use, but there we are!
By Seth Rex
Thanks guys. I actually got a copy for 12 dollars. I think the one I was really looking at at the time was the 2016 version for some reason... But interesting to know the 84 one is out of print. Good thing I got it then.
Has anyone else been wondering about the tracks on the new GB2 score and where they tie in with the movie itself?
I've been editing it since my CD arrived, trying to put cues into chronological order, and have edited together 22 tracks so far. The final part of the end credit suite appears twice on different tracks, and several key moments are split over multiple tracks (the courtroom and the final confrontation with Vigo, for example). Aside from cues that are absent on the CD, there are several cues that I cannot place anywhere in the movie (portions of tracks 6, 11, 13). Also, a few tracks appear to be extended themes rather than actual cues from the film (track 6 is basically a long Dana theme, track 10 is a long Oscar theme, track 3 is a long Venkman theme). Track 11 obviously wasn't used in the film. If anyone else is doing something similar, or is able to advise on the tracks I've mentioned, please let me know!
DaveLister liked this
Listening to the GBII score on Spotify right now. Makes me appreciate Elmer's composition so much more. Aside from a few bits and pieces Randy bores me to death. His stuff is just too simplistic for me, not just in GBII but in all of his scores. Not a whole lot of imagination.
deadderek liked this
Amazon dropped mine off an hour ago, the court room section on track 4 was my Grail. They seem to have gone back to the "old way" of shuffling around cues that interrupt each other at times. If you work out the courtroom battle, I would love to hear it! (and ain't it cool to hold in your hand finally, 32 years later?)

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]