Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Some of the people here have connections to various industries & I have a question I’m not sure can be answered. Here it goes: Besides small kiddy versions, Why has no company attempted at making a 1:1 scale Proton Pack?? I thought for SURE Matty Collector was going to make one that connected to the neutrons wand they released. But it never happened. Almost anything can be mass produced these days and the proton pack is one of the most iconic screen props of ALL TIME. So I don’t get it.
AVANOS sorta tried, though that was more of a kit...

I think the main issue is that a LOT of the parts are trademarked/patented for other companies... and sure, you can get around that kind of thing with a little legal hopscotch. I think what it REALLY comes down to is the complexity of the proton pack itself. They're big, they're clunky, they have a lot of kibble that can snag or break off if the packaging is damaged... and how do you cheaply package these things?!

That's one of the perks of the 2016 packs had: they were a lot less complex design-wise: a lot cleaner, smaller, and simpler profile. Same with the RGB packs (so happy I have my 3D printed one!).

I'm actually struggling to think of anything as large and cumbersome released for the adult collectors market that's even remotely similar to a proton pack. Sure, there's the Black Series lightsabers and helmets same with the power rangers stuff.... which, coincidentally are made by Hasbro who are putting out a new thrower... so, MAYBE we could see a Plasma Series proton pack to go along with the Afterlife thrower
By Dr.D
There are a lot of reasons why, but I still imagine pricing and demand are the biggest hurdles. Ghostbusters is huge to us in the community, and while it is still far from a cult franchise it doesn't have the kind of massive fanbase like say Star Wars. For a company to build a full sized pack, the tooling required to create such a product would be incredibly expensive. Adding to that a limited fanbase and an even smaller number of folks who actually have the scratch to buy it, I hazard a guess that it is alot for any company to take on. Even with Hasbro having the license now, the process of making a mass production pack would require lots and lots of compromise for the sake simplicity and mass production. At that point, when you start sacrificing the quality and accuracy of the prop, the demand is gonna drop.

I seem to recall a few years back when Master Replicas, before they folded, had the GB license for a short while. If i remember correctly, word got out to the fans that the proton pack they were planning to make was going to have no Alice frame and could not be worn without modification, something about the licensing for props and not "costume" pieces and given the packs is to be worn it becomes a strange grey area.

Shorter version: Fully built proton packs would cost a lot to make, cost even more to buy, and would more than likely still not live up to fan expectations. Not saying it will never happen, and I hope I'm wrong.
zeta otaku liked this

I missed out on the Haslab packs too. I am conside[…]

Thanks The_Y33TER ! Confirmation there's no elect[…]

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]