Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
A perfect movie is a rare a thing. A perfect comedy is rarer still. While I’m sure we all adore & love Ghostbusters there is one joke in the film that’s...kinda awkward. And no I don’t mean in a “politically correct 2020” way. I mean in it’s execution. Since you’ve most likely read the title of this thread, I’m of course I’m talking about “The Ghost Blow Job”.

Probably 95% of us know the behind the scenes story of this scene. For those who need a refresher: It was originally apart of a cut sequence that had Ray & Winston on a GB call investigating an old Fort, “Fort Determing”. Reitman decided to cut the sequence but leave the punchline: Ray getting serviced by a ghost. Only now it’s sandwiched within the montage sequence and it’s...a dream. So when Ray & Winston disappear for awhile in the 2nd act, now you know why.

Should Reitman have cut the ghost BJ all together if they weren’t going to use the lead up to the big moment? I don’t know.

Ray getting a blowjob by a ghost is a funny idea. It fits within his characters actions. But in the narrative of the film...it’s awkward. We are taken inside a dream of Ray’s just so we can get a blow job joke. In the middle of a montage. But...hold on. That could work too. Ray is the most enthusiastic member of the group. Ghosts excite him. He LOVES them. A dream sequence could work where he gets a BJ from a ghost. But right after the montage we get this little piece of dialogue from Ray: “I’ve gotta get some sleep I’m dying”.

So why is it awkward? The insert shot of the GB’s sleeping. We can’t tell whose who, someone, Egon maybe?, is moving around while they are sleeping. And then we get a scene of Ray talking about how he hasn’t slept right after.

The original sequence had Ray trying on some generals outfit before getting “serviced”. And it’s that decision that screwed the filmmakers in editing. Had he been wearing his normal Ghostbusters outfit, they wouldn’t have needed the dream idea. He could be anywhere. On a case, in the GB HQ, whatever. But the choice to have him put on costume limited them in how they could reuse the footage elsewhere.

So what do you think? Ray getting a BJ. Should they have cut it? Reshot it(had they had the time)? Left the sequence as it was originally written? Or do you like it as is?

Personally, In a perfect world I would’ve reshot it. I would’ve ditched Ray in the uniform & had him wearing his GB attire. He’s sleeping in the GB HQ & he’s awoken by the ghost and..well...you know the rest. But that never could’ve happened since the film was down to the wire as is.

(Also anyone notice they cut out Ray Parker Jr’s “Bustin Makes Me Feel Good” lyric that should be heard right when Ray...ya know... “feels good”)
I think it totally works. Removing everything we as fans know about the Fort scene, I think it works very well where it is placed in the movie. Up to that point we as the audience know a few things about Ray which you've already summarized very well. He is infatuated with the paranormal, and he is clearly something of a history buff as well. For me, looking at the scene where it sits in the montage, I think it works as perfectly as it could.

Ray, exhausted from round the clock ghostbusting, dreams of the exact opposite of every ghost encounters he has had to that point. Rather than some inhuman thing, it's a beautiful woman. The period outfit he's wearing to me is just another extension of his personality and respect for history. He's imagining himself as something in authority who commands respect, almost to off-set the absurdity of getting...serviced by a ghost.
deadderek liked this
Let's talk about "The Ghost BJ" sequence
I'd really rather not. :P

Seriously though... It didn't used to bother me in the past, but it kinda makes me feel awkward now... Especially now since I've had the pleasure of meeting Dan in person.

If I could retroactively change it, I'd probably ditch it.
Winston1986 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 9:48 am Not really a big fan of it, honestly. Frankly I am in the minority but I think blowjobs are disgusting. And I'd rather the ghost had simply kissed him on the cheek and then a grey lips mark appeared on Ray's face instead.

I didn’t wanna make this about “are BJ’s awesome or REALLY AWESOME”(no I kid. I mean “Are BJ’s awesome or not”) but suffice to say, yes, I am going to take a guess & say that you are in the minority.
deadderek liked this
I don't mind the shots at all in the movie, but they definitely don't hold up to much scrutiny.

I love Stantz's romantic return to the Fort with flowers and chocolates in the early drafts. The whole thing made a bit more sense with Ray's "I think I'm in love..." conversation with Winston, just before seeing the firehouse explosion ghost geyser.

Personally, I don't think the BOSS Films gag belt/zipper/button gag gets enough love. Apparently there was even an air-controlled condom in the rig.
d_osborn wrote: November 30th, 2020, 12:59 pm I don't mind the shots at all in the movie, but they definitely don't hold up to much scrutiny.

I love Stantz's romantic return to the Fort with flowers and chocolates in the early drafts. The whole thing made a bit more sense with Ray's "I think I'm in love..." conversation with Winston, just before seeing the firehouse explosion ghost geyser.

Personally, I don't think the BOSS Films gag belt/zipper/button gag gets enough love. Apparently there was even an air-controlled condom in the rig.
The zipper gag & belt buckle gag is great.

Ray returning with flowers...not so much. I enjoy the verisimilitude of the film and I feel something like that just wouldn’t work. It’s a joke for the sake of a joke(something I don’t enjoy about the reboot). I mean, why would he return with flowers? It’s a ghost(you could say *thats* the joke but it’s not the type of humour the film exemplified).

It’s amazing how different a movie the script is. How different the movie could’ve been. I mean...can we imagine the film ending with a couple of bums making a joke about a giant cup of hot chocolate(or whatever the line is)? Or how “meh” a business suited Gozer played by Pee Wee Herman would’ve been? Or John Candy instead of Rick Moranis? I love John Candy but....Louis is Louis because of Rick. Ivan Reitman doesn’t get enough credit for his stewardship of Ghostbusters.
Literally every choice he made improved the film. There’s not a single deleted scene or moment from a previous draft where I think “that’s better than what they went with”. Think of how dated Ghostbusters would feel had Ivan included Elmer Bernstein’s funk/disco theme? Or how we’d cringe if he would’ve used the Dan & Bill as bums footage?
Reitman just nails the tone. It’s a comedy the threat is real. That’s such a delicate balancing act. And he did it twice! I think more than anyone Ivan Reitman really understands what makes Ghostbusters work. And I say that with all due love & respect to Dan & Harold.
Apparently this happened to Dan Aykroyd in real life and that's why he wrote it into the script (he explains it during his Joe Rogan interview). This was around the time that Animal House, Meatballs and Porkys reigned supreme for comedies (personally I think the Dana/Zuul interaction with Venkman at her apartment was dirtier than the ghost BJ scene). It's a product of it's time, nobody really has a serious issue with it unless you're looking for something to cancel. There are way worse "jokes" in some of our favorite comedies than this scene.
deadderek liked this
Boy we're reaching the bottom of the barrel for things to talk about in this fandom.

The BJ sequence works and is over in 10 seconds or so. Some of y'all are putting way too much thought into it.
deadderek wrote: December 4th, 2020, 10:42 pm Some of y'all are putting way too much thought into it.
See this is where the hardcore nitty gritty fans get separated from the casual fans. Or even the fans of Ghostbusters as a film VS Ghostbusters as an IP. Going in deep on this movie is why I signed up at this website.

For me? There’s nothing not worth examining in these films. Talking about why a joke works or doesn’t work, what thought went behind it, all that jazz, that’s what makes being a fan of the film fun.

When we get to discussions about, I don’t know, what kind of table cloth Bill Murray yanked from the table & what it’s story implications are...that’s when I’ll maybe say “Yeah, ok. We’ve gone too far”. But the ghost BJ is as worth discussion as any other joke or plot point, from the library ghost, to Mr. Stay Puft.

At least that’s how I feel.
deadderek, seekandannoy liked this
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:13 am
Winston1986 wrote: November 30th, 2020, 9:48 am Not really a big fan of it, honestly. Frankly I am in the minority but I think blowjobs are disgusting. And I'd rather the ghost had simply kissed him on the cheek and then a grey lips mark appeared on Ray's face instead.

I didn’t wanna make this about “are BJ’s awesome or REALLY AWESOME”(no I kid. I mean “Are BJ’s awesome or not”) but suffice to say, yes, I am going to take a guess & say that you are in the minority.
I'm going to say this person is as rare an actual ghost!

As for the scene, I could do without it. Mostly because it's awkward to watch with my kids and isn't funny enough to be uncuttable.
Coover5 liked this
Ben's Dad wrote: December 6th, 2020, 2:57 pm
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:13 am

As for the scene, I could do without it. Mostly because it's awkward to watch with my kids and isn't funny enough to be uncuttable.
How old are your kids?

Maybe I just grew up in a weird household but I’ve seen numerous movies containing sex scenes & nudity with my parents & it was never, ever “awkward”. It was just..part of the movie.
Granted I’ve seen quite a few people mention the awkwardness of viewing this sequence with their kids(or parents). Which I find odd(as someone who doesn’t have children). It would be one thing if you saw what was happening. But depending on how old your kids are, do they understand what’s happening? If not, do they ask?
I can’t imagine how awkward lines like “I want you inside me” are if the Ghost BJ gets that sort of reaction lol.
deadderek liked this
My family was pretty liberal when I was a kid, I got to watch a lot of stuff (Friday the 13th films, Nightmare on Elm Street films, etc.). Now that I'm a parent I catch myself covering my son's eyes and ears during some of "those" scenes in Ghostbusters :oops: he's 5 going on 6, I dunno. I just feel weird about it now.
If there's something I learned from the films of David Lynch is that one needs to watch a film in its entirety in order to fully get the context. It does not guarantee audiences will embrace this or that scene but people will have a better chance at understanding.

The way I see it, it's a dream sequence. It does NOT make sense. The Ghostbusters, at this point in their career, are exhausted, they are sleeping with their uniforms on because they may be called during the middle of the night. Success is definitely catching up and chipping away at their mental and physical health.

For this particular moment, Ray has seen and caught so many ghosts and the success, long hours and overdue hours of sleep do their trick. In the context of the scene alone, it does NOT work. In the context of the film, it's not only working, it's logical and also is a little but crucial editing and narrative masterpiece of storytelling. All this during a montage, nonetheless.
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Ray returning with flowers...not so much. I enjoy the verisimilitude of the film and I feel something like that just wouldn’t work. It’s a joke for the sake of a joke(something I don’t enjoy about the reboot). I mean, why would he return with flowers? It’s a ghost(you could say *thats* the joke but it’s not the type of humour the film exemplified).
Oh, I completely agree that the film is perfect, as is. I don't think the flowers gag should've been in the film, I just chuckle at the idea in the script. The same with Winston's scene getting out of the limo, or the little egg hatching in Dana's remodeled kitchen.

It's a funny bit that didn't exactly translate to film. Considering the time pressures they were under, it works perfectly. If Ivan & Co. had more time, I sincerely doubt the Fort Detmerring material would be anywhere near the top of the list of revisions to be made.
The same with Winston's scene getting out of the limo, or the little egg hatching in Dana's remodeled kitchen.
I never heard of that. I am glad it didn't get put in the movie. Kind of removes Winston's whole normal guy character if he's rich enough to afford a limo. I admit, that scene with Ray and the female ghost doesn't unsettle me that much. The only blowjob scene that I always have to fast forward through is in the Hateful Eight but that doesn't belong in this topic.
Winston1986 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 7:48 pm
The same with Winston's scene getting out of the limo, or the little egg hatching in Dana's remodeled kitchen.
The only blowjob scene that I always have to fast forward through is in the Hateful Eight but that doesn't belong in this topic.
I love that scene lol. Imagine being that old racist confederate general? Realizing *thats* how your racist confederate son spent his last minutes?
I love it!
What I wouldn’t have given to see that sequence play out in a local theatre of one of those towns in the Deep South that love to display their Confederate flags & heritage proudly.

Remind me. What is the Winston limo scene? Is that all there is to it? He just gets out of a limo? I don’t remember it.
RichardLess wrote: December 6th, 2020, 7:05 pm
Ben's Dad wrote: December 6th, 2020, 2:57 pm

How old are your kids?

Maybe I just grew up in a weird household but I’ve seen numerous movies containing sex scenes & nudity with my parents & it was never, ever “awkward”. It was just..part of the movie.
Granted I’ve seen quite a few people mention the awkwardness of viewing this sequence with their kids(or parents). Which I find odd(as someone who doesn’t have children). It would be one thing if you saw what was happening. But depending on how old your kids are, do they understand what’s happening? If not, do they ask?
I can’t imagine how awkward lines like “I want you inside me” are if the Ghost BJ gets that sort of reaction lol.
They're seven. I'm not a prude, just not ready to explain what a blowjob is yet. Then again, they haven't actually asked what is happening and it is me that let's them watch the movie so I realise I can't let them watch something and then complain aboit what they're watching. Just saying on the subject I could do without the scene, but it's no biggie.
RichardLess wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:40 am Remind me. What is the Winston limo scene? Is that all there is to it? He just gets out of a limo? I don’t remember it.
EXT. A CHROME AND GLASS SKYSCRAPER
The sign over the revolving doors reads:

GHOSTBUSTERS INTERNATIONAL

THE GARAGE ENTRANCE

One Ectomobile is arriving as another speeds out on a call. A limousine pulls up to the curb and Winston gets out in a very tasteful pinstripe suit carrying a briefcase.

THE DOORMAN

He tips his hat as Winston passes by and enters the building.

CUT TO:
INT. A LAS VEGAS WEDDING CHAPPEL

Spengler and Janine are getting married in a very tacky nuptial parlor. Louis Tully is the witness. Spengler looks preoccupied, Janine looks very happy. She kisses Spengler and Louis throws some rice on them.

CUT TO:
EXT. FORT DETMERRING

The old historical sign has been augmented with a commercial sign that reads

VISIT THE HAUNTED FORT
Stantz enters the gateyard with a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of wine and heads for the Captain's bedchamber where he had his delightful encounter.

CUT TO:
EXT. DANA' S APARTMENT BUILDING

It has been substantially repaired, but work is still going on.

INT. DANA' S APARTMENT

Venkman is over by the windows doing some very eccentric aerobic dancing to the tempo of the Ghostbusters theme. Dana is on the couch laughing delightedly at him, wearing a long shirt of his and nothing else.

We start to pan off Venkman as the theme fades out and an eerie note is left hanging in the air. The camera pans ominously to the kitchen door and then into the kitchen and across the countertop, finally coming to rest with a menacing tone on an open carton of eggs.

One of the eggs shakes a little bit and the shell on top begins to crack as if some desperate creature was trying to break out. Then the top of the shell pops off and a baby chick sticks its head out and looks around at an unbelievable new world.

FADE TO BLACK
T-H-E E-N-D
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]