Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By DocLathropBrown
Dear lord, was that awful.

That said, I thought this was gonna be the song from the NATO reel ("Cool heads/under fire/take it back to the Ghost-busters!") and it wasn't. This is now a THIRD prototype song??

And this honestly puts Parker Jr.'s statement that he came up with the "advertisement" angle to bed. Two of the prototype songs have a "sales pitch/call the Ghostbusters" element to them. I assume then that that approach was invented by Reitman and it was imparted to everyone who wrote a theme song. I figure Parker just misremembers and assumes it was his idea. Though clearly he did it the best.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
By CT1983
This song is for an alternate cut where Gozer is portrayed by teenage Robert Downey Jr and he’s dumping icees off Dana’s roof while his wealthy depressed roommate Vinz, played by Keith Gordon, doesn’t make the dive team instead of being turned into a dog.
By ghoulishfright
Kinda sounds like a B-side to Weird Al Yankovic's Dare to be Stupid album.
By 910dohead
I said the same thing when someone in our group shared it. Forgettable and not very good. I mean it's okay in its own right but wouldn't carry the film like Ray Parker Jr.'s song did/does. Also, it kind of gives off the same vibes as the Spaceballs song.
Kingpin liked this
By Coover5
I like it but not as the theme to "our" Ghostbusters. I listen to it and picture the film that belongs with the song...

It starts off similar to GB84. Ray Stantz and Egon Spengler are 25 year-old college students who are into the paranormal. After discovering a librarian ghost at the college library Egon convinces Ray to some of his tuition money to buy parts to make a proton pack and traps. They hire engineering student Winston Zeddemore to build them. As they grow in popularity around campus ladies man Peter Venkman wants in on the action and joins the group. Instead of a Gozer plot the climax of the film comes from this team's lack of a containment unit. They are using a trap and release program. They trap the ghost then release them in an abandon warehouse (since the ghosts haunt location they are simply stuck where they are released) What the boys in grey don't realize is the ghosts are unifying into one large spectral being (think Jojo the Klownzilla) and if they don't stop it in time it will have the chance to break free. The group is nearly split apart by Egon kicking Peter out before the climax because he thinks Peter is just a hinderance but Peter shows he is there to help by selling his convertible to get the guys their parts for more packs.
JediJones liked this
By Kingpin
EddieSpenser wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:10 am Well, I'm quite lost... and disappointed.
Has THIS 👇song ever been released ?
To date that song's never been released, it remains an enigma as we don't even know who penned it (it was previously believed to the the Hughes/Thrall track until they recently corrected our understanding on the subject).
deadderek, EddieSpenser, Sav C and 1 others liked this
CT1983 wrote: June 13th, 2021, 9:15 pm This song is for an alternate cut where Gozer is portrayed by teenage Robert Downey Jr and he’s dumping icees off Dana’s roof while his wealthy depressed roommate Vinz, played by Keith Gordon, doesn’t make the dive team instead of being turned into a dog.
Could be worse. Gozer could have been played by Jon Cryer.

As I said on one of the Facebook threads, it sounds like an "alternative" theme from one of those .45 RPM storybooks, like "Ghostbustin' Machine" from Ghostbusters Meet the Laser Ghost.
Ranking the theme songs... RPJ is obviously the winner, so him aside...

1. Teaser song -- the brave, the best, the only.... one we don't have. Shame, from the (very) little we can hear, it sounds pretty awesome. Has some atmospheric lyrics and keeps the "call" idea.
2. NATO song -- A step down. But has kind of a cool beat and I like the up-tempo cadence. Lyrics seem a little dumb, but there's a reason it didn't get picked, right?
3. Hughes/Thrall -- What a stinker... But! Not the worst...
4. "Ghostbustin' Machine" -- Truly heinous. Were they even trying?
Sav C liked this
By timeware
While this song is horrible, it's still better then Fall out boys theme song.

As far as unreleased songs go this thing could have stayed buried but it's nice to that Dan took the time to find a more jauntier tune to develop. Maybe one day we'll get the full version of Trapped in my Mind, and no it wasn't done by Twisted Sister.

By Ghostytheghost
DocLathropBrown wrote: June 14th, 2021, 8:38 pm Ranking the theme songs... RPJ is obviously the winner, so him aside...

1. Teaser song -- the brave, the best, the only.... one we don't have. Shame, from the (very) little we can hear, it sounds pretty awesome. Has some atmospheric lyrics and keeps the "call" idea.
2. NATO song -- A step down. But has kind of a cool beat and I like the up-tempo cadence. Lyrics seem a little dumb, but there's a reason it didn't get picked, right?
3. Hughes/Thrall -- What a stinker... But! Not the worst...
4. "Ghostbustin' Machine" -- Truly heinous. Were they even trying?
I really doubt that Ghostbustin' Machine song was made for the movie, at least I hope that was only for that crappy book. Also, what's NATO and is it representing the ShoWest reel? I tried looking them up and I couldn't find anything.
Ghostytheghost wrote: June 15th, 2021, 7:27 am
I really doubt that Ghostbustin' Machine song was made for the movie, at least I hope that was only for that crappy book. Also, what's NATO and is it representing the ShoWest reel? I tried looking them up and I couldn't find anything.
Oh no, "Ghostbustin' Machine" isn't for the film. I'm just ranking the different theme songs GB has had over time (not counting covers of RPJ's theme).

And my mistake, I thought the convention the promo reel was for was a NATO presentation (National Association of Theater Owners) but no, I meant ShoWest.
Ghostytheghost liked this
By Alex Newborn
I only had a couple of minutes Sunday morning to give this a listen before heading to a 12-hour shift at work.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who instantly compared it to the song from Ghostbusters Meet the Laser Ghost.

Alex
By Kingpin
Ghostbusters News appears to have connected the dots and revealed that the song was used in a re-worked form in a different movie starring Dan Aykroyd:

A reworked rendition of the rejected Ghostbusters theme song appears on 1987’s Dragnet soundtrack

Hah, even with the new lyrics you can hear where the "Ghostbusters!" used to be in the chorus.

Still a load of "meh!".
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]