Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
marcbaye wrote: October 4th, 2021, 4:49 am Uhm... good bet, but I'm afraid it isn't... It's missing the Oxford emblem and both "The Oxford" words are usually in its first line...
Looks like there might be a sticker or post-it over the emblem? Possibly to avoid rights issues?

EDIT: Or it's just a library sticker, isn't it?! Whoops!
I'm going to agree about The Oxford English Dictionary, but I disagree about the word below that being "Illustrated".

The third character looks like a / symbol, so I feel like it's two short words, or just groups of letters, separated by a slash.

Below that, I think I see a 2 over a C.

Then further down:

a star followed by PR-RHI [indicating the starting letters of all the words contained in the volume]

a small symbol

and finally what appears to be a year. Possibly 1957?

Here's an approximation, though some of it is pure gibberish.

And Rob, I do think it's a sticker but my gut feeling is that it wasn't added by the moviemakers, but is rather just some part of the library's filing system. A color-code or something similar. [EDIT: You made the same comment while I was editing mine. We're parallel today.]

Alex
robbritton liked this
By marcbaye
As said, it can't be "illustrated", there's no one for the Dictionary, there's only illustrated for the Universal Dictionary... may it be "Volume ??"?
I think the bottom text is the year, but I bet for 1933... that year there was a reprint of the first edition with a supplement... but only 12 volumes A-B/C/D-E/F-G/H-K/L-M/N-Poy/Poy-Ry/S-Soldo/Sole-Sz/T-U/V-Z (Another 4 supplements were published between 1972 and 1986... A-G/H-N/O-Scz/Se-Z)... Nothing matches "RR-RXI" or similar...
Anybody near NY to take a visit to the Library?
By marcbaye
Uhm... MURRAY'S ENGLISH DICTIONARY has a second volume only for the "C"... 2-C written in vertical... and also has blue covers on some editions...
But I still on the OXFORD one... it also has the 2C volume... and text is definitively a better match
robbritton liked this
By Coover5
I believe the text reads

THE
OXFORD
ENGLISH
DICTIONARY

MURRAY
c

(unknown)

We see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_English_Dictionary that the OED's volume 2 lines up with C and that a full set was published in 1933. It is my opinion that the book cover is a result of an after market library binding or a replacement cover because if the cover was original to the book there should have been the Oxford crest.
By Kingpin
Coover5 wrote: November 1st, 2021, 11:20 pm (unknown)
That appears to be the Dewey-Decimal designation.

I've no idea if America has a differing Dewey classificiation system to the UK, but the dictionaries in my library are classified as R423 - R433.

The first bit does look like RR, which might be the NYPL's way of denoting their reference books.
Coover5 liked this
By Rodimus13
My wife has her masters in Library Science, so I thought I'd have her chime in on this.
What she thinks the set of characters toward the bottom with the asterisk shows what the letter range on that volume is.
She says that while a dictionary could have a Dewey Decimal number (or Library of Congress depending on what system they used) this one doesn't appear to have that. Or at the very least it's not on the spine. That kind of marking is not normally printed on the book.
By Alex Newborn
Rodimus13 wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 8:48 pm What she thinks the set of characters toward the bottom with the asterisk shows what the letter range on that volume is.
That was my assumption as well. See above.

My best-guess is that it's for the volume containing words beginning with 'pr' through 'rhi'.

*PR-RHI

Alex
    The journey from commonplace to Ecto-75.

Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?

Proton Props???

If anyone here is still pondering ordering from th[…]

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]