Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By StasisShock
Okay so there's something I've been meaning to get clarification for years having watched the original 1984 film multiple times.

After the Ghostbusters try trapping Gozer's female humanoid form, it disappears and makes them choose the form of the destructor.

However my question is, where was Gozer at when it disappeared off the roof alter before transforming into Stay Puft?

All four Ghostbusters were looking up at the roof cap with spikes and from several shots, it looks like it was illuminating as Gozer spoke. Was its spiritual essence inside the roof cap on top of the temple (which Ray said was made out of magnesium tungsten alloy), become an invisible apparition surrounding the temple, or did its spiritual form assume the entire building and simply left when its destructor form was chosen?
My take is that they're looking up at the clouds overhead.

The Cinefex article even refers to them as "the 'talking' clouds which instruct the Ghostbusters to choose the form of their destroyer".

The term "talking clouds" is also used in that same article by Gary Platek, who had previously done cloud effects for both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Poltergeist. (Cinefex 17, p. 46)
StasisShock wrote: October 30th, 2021, 12:30 am After the Ghostbusters try trapping Gozer's female humanoid form...
Also, just to clarify, right after "this chick is toast" you can see Ray very deliberately set down the trap on the base of the stone bench. I don't think they had any expectation after her initial finger-lightning blast that Gozer could be contained in a trap.

Alex
Kingpin liked this
By l3w1sb159
Remember Gozer can be "whatever it wants to be". So I assume after being fired at in its flat top form, it though "f$#@ this" and transformed to a formless abstract entity because of how powerful it is being a demi-god, ready to assume the destructor form.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]