Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Fritz wrote:The RPG hinted that Slimer was never human--he was the byproduct of a cult trying to cast rituals in the Sedgewick basement.

I certainly like that better than the King Remils story.
yes thats way better

that or John Belushi
i dont know what i always figured the rpg one the Fritz said or the belushi one (cause he knew we still needed him and he came back to keep making comedy)
it would be interesting to get an answer maybe when the game comes out. we will be scanning ghosts for info so maybe it'll come with a background
When I was a kid before I knew about the whole cult ritual or John Belushi background, I used to imagine he was a fat kid like agustus gloop from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. He was so fat that one day he was at home alone and the house burnt down and he couldn't get out, or something like that. Kind of an obvious background for a character like slimer.

Maybe he is the result of a cult doing stuff in the sedgewick basement, accidently calling up the ghost of John Belushi. However, they pronounced some of the words in their chants wrong or something, so when Belushi's ghost showed up, he looked green and warped and he was all "WHAT THE EFF JUST HAP--I'm hungry."
Back during Halloween I came across a book called The Big Book of Monsters and they had Gozer, Zuel, Slimer, and Stay Puft listed in it.

According to the book Slimer was a glutenous old Romainian king. One day a curse was put upon him while he was burning a witch at the stake. While she was burning he was just lazing back eating food so she put a curse on him that he would forever be hungery and never be satisfyed.

How official this is I don't know because it wasn't by Sony pictures. (It covered just about every movie monster and ghost ever on screen including: Jason, Micheal Meyers, Freddy Kruger and all the old Universal Monsters)
most of the stories so far seem to connect to the guy who loves food but it doesn't explain why he is in the segwick if he some kinda king? i really doubt he was a ghost and just wandered across the ocean to a hotel and made it his home the occult story does make the most sense as it gives him a reason to have the hotel as his home and why he returns to it in the game
I think I remember in one of the syndicated RGB episodes, there was mention of how old Slimer was. Does 1,300 years ring a bell? I'll have to go back, it's in one of the episodes in Volumes 1 or 2 in the boxed set.
exo95er wrote:I think I remember in one of the syndicated RGB episodes, there was mention of how old Slimer was. Does 1,300 years ring a bell? I'll have to go back, it's in one of the episodes in Volumes 1 or 2 in the boxed set.
yeah thats about right i think, and i know they list his age in the book you get with one of the recent gb1&gb2 dvd and it says something well over a hundred years old (not sure how many years exactly)
Well, you know, we could just sort of combine all of them...

1300 years ago, Remils was a king in Romania who ate himself to death. His spirit wasn't totally at rest, so when some cultists were casting rituals in the Sedgewick basement his greedy soul manifested as a hungry, sllightly stupid green Class V full roaming vapor.

:lol:
Fritz wrote:Well, you know, we could just sort of combine all of them...

1300 years ago, Remils was a king in Romania who ate himself to death. His spirit wasn't totally at rest, so when some cultists were casting rituals in the Sedgewick basement his greedy soul manifested as a hungry, sllightly stupid green Class V full roaming vapor.

:lol:
GENIUS!
it actually really works in combining them good job Fritz on the creative thinking. :crunch:
Well, the name "Slimer" came from the line "This is where we store all the vapors and entities and slimers that we trap." RGB ran with that and called the ugly little spud "Slimer" just to associate him with something he is most known for. I still call him Onionhead, and I like to leave his origins a mystery.
as far as the origin of Slimer is concerned, I had also read/heard Dan Aykroyd saying that since John Belushi died before filming began, they instead based the green ghost character on Belushi, so that's what I always went with... if this is the case, then I suppose other ghosts in the GB-Universe could also be "mutated" versions of there former selves? like the Scolari Bros from GB2, I could see them as former humans - but other than the Scolari Bros, Slimer, the skeleton taxi driver from GB1, Gozer/Stay Puft, Terror Dogs, and Vigo, they dont really show very many ghosts (there are few RGB-looking ghosts in GB2 that dont resemble humans), when the storage grid gets shut down, the ghosts that escape from the firehouse look like this:

here's another GB1 ghost that doesnt look like it would be formerly human:

I've never even thought of GB-Universe (Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters) ghosts as being human before they were ghosts, mostly due to the fact that they don't resemble humans in any way shape or form - ever since I was a kid I never thought about what the ghosts really were or what they used to be, only that they needed to be "Busted" and put into the containment unit!

on a side note, I just found out you can watch Ghostbusters for free on Hulu

http://www.hulu.com/watch/25534/ghostbusters
RGB isn't "cannon" so to speak, so don't take them as gospel.

I remember some promo materials for the film that descibed him as a large, greedy but good natured, fat man whose name was unknown - but he loved to eat. He ate and ate and died in the hotel of a heart attack while eating room service many years ago.

He came back as a ghost because he wanted to continue eating.

I wish I still had the source for that though....

In the film he was called Onionhead by the crew - because of his shape, and the smell he was supposed to emit (which was seen in a deleted scene). On set Aykroyd joked that he was the ghost of John Belushi, but he wasn't referred to by that name on set (it was a joke) or in any official materials.
Ghost Classification

Class One: These are undeveloped forms, insubstantial and difficult to see. Interaction with enviroment is limited and enigmatic. Simple application of a proton pack stream is normally effective for ridding these ghosts.

Class Two: Manifestations focused in this time and space, Class II ghosts and up can psysically manipulate things in the world. These forms are vague, inconsistant, or incomplete. Although a proton pack stream is normally effective, some Class II ghosts have the capacity to return attacks.

Class Three: Anonymous Hauntings. Distinct human form and personality is evident, but former identity is not established. If established, ghost is reassigned as a Class IV. Often difficult to deal with, Class III ghosts generally possess sophisticated means of defence.

Class Four: Identity established. Distict human form and personality with known identity, such as General Custer or Cleopatra. Economic disposal methods include research into the background of said entity, as well as possible communication with it.

Class Five: These are ectoplasmic manifestations of definite but non-human form. Speculation includes the theory that class V's are formed from the emotionally charged events or as side effects from ritual summonings. These typically require extensive proton pack implemention to eradicate.

Class Six: Ghosts of lower life forms. A giant penguin was once seen attacking a mugger in Central Park. Later it was discovered the penguin was a ghost. Unique solutions are often required to handle these entities, including research into habitats, allergies, natural enemies, ect.

Class Seven: Metaspectres. Obsessively malevolent, exceptionally powerful, and exhibiting control over supordinate forms, such entities are potentially very dangerous. These are often identified by primitive cultures as "Demons". Entities which fit this classification include Gozer the Gozerian and Vigo the Carpathian. Neutralizing them is usually a problematical undertaking at best. Most standard procedures are futile. The most realistic plan is to take measures to prevent these things from entering this sphere of influence in the first place.
If any you have played the Ghostbusters video game I think it ties so Ivan shandor cult the Mandela beneath New York City spiritual Lamberth that was set up ahead of time but Ivan Shenandoah himself as a last resort in case Gozer the gozerian himself fails so I believe that goes our worshippers would often worship at the Sedgewick Hotel a women summon Spirits including the Black Widow ghost was once a cult member of shenandoah's goes a worshippers I believe Slimer was summoned by accident but the Colts Slimer stays away from the spider witches floor Tennessee to draw people and ghost to channels into the mandala in before the floor have been closed off in the Sedgewick Hotel and that's why I believe Slimer stayed away from those floors for that reason but that's just a theory
I prefer a mystery, he doesn't even resemble anything remotely human other than 2 eyes, a mouth and a nose. What about that blue ghost that flew out of the subway during the montage? There's noway THAT thing was ever human.
Creativeguy liked this
    Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]