Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Aupego
Sony's definitely trying to franchise here, with the after credits scene that much was obvious, but the promising box office sales mean a sequel is coming for sure. Too early to tell is Feig will stay involved, but he probably wouldn't turn it down.
By Sav C
I still think there will be a sequel. I am under the impression that Sony/Columbia changed hands during the production of Ghostbusters, probably because the previous people in charge were doing a poor job. I'm sure the new management has ideas on what they would need to do differently for the Ghostbusters franchise to be successful, and aren't going to give up just because the previous management came up a bit short.
Ivo Shandor liked this
By timeware
Sequel? I hope so, but I wouldn't necessarily call Ghostbusters a success at the box office when Suicide Squad just made $129 million it's opening weekend.

I do not want Paul tied to the next film. He's had his shot, the marketing didn't work out. Leave the decisions to Reitman. Throw in the Rock, throw in Vin Diesel as the next protagonist. Keep Kirsten Wiig, Mc Carthy call Michael Bay add a few explosions and call it a day.
By JurorNo.2
Man of Steel and Batman v Superman didn't bomb at the box office, but they're not exactly considered successes. It's not just a matter of money.
Sav C, Jangonate liked this
By Jangonate
timeware wrote:Sequel? I hope so, but I wouldn't necessarily call Ghostbusters a success at the box office when Suicide Squad just made $129 million it's opening weekend.

I do not want Paul tied to the next film. He's had his shot, the marketing didn't work out. Leave the decisions to Reitman. Throw in the Rock, throw in Vin Diesel as the next protagonist. Keep Kirsten Wiig, Mc Carthy call Michael Bay add a few explosions and call it a day.
I really like The Rock...but no. They don't need to be Ghostbusters. Training a new member would be great, but they need to fit the everyman/woman description. The Rock is no mere mortal and Vin Diesel's just not that good in my opinion.
By timeware
you may not like Vin Diesel. The total earnings of Fast Furious come in at a billion plus. Minus Tokyo Drift where he was only in for a few minutes only brought in 62 mill. Im not even including triple x, or Riddick.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises ... urious.htm

http://www.the-numbers.com/person/72720 ... ab=summary

He's made more money then Feig as an actor.
The Rock is the same story. They don't necessarily have to start off as Ghostbusters or become Ghostbusters. They could be supportive or minor roles such as Cops or city workers to wherever they decide to franchise. Point i'm trying to make is they bring in the cash.

If the new Big Trouble in Little China remake does well the Rock may be seeing a lot of remake, or reboot scripts being offered to him. Heck the Rock's total salary last year almost was 10 mil shy GB2016 made opening weekend!

Another role idea you could have one of them play an actual Ghost Hunter skeptical of the Ghostbusters practices like Walter Peck had been.

It would also be a lot of fun to see Ghost Tour operators holding up anti Ghostbusters signs claiming they are putting them out of business. That would make a great scene involving the Winchester mystery mansion or even the Queen Mary ship.
ghostJAR liked this
By Scum
Jangonate wrote:
timeware wrote:Sequel? I hope so, but I wouldn't necessarily call Ghostbusters a success at the box office when Suicide Squad just made $129 million it's opening weekend.

I really like The Rock...but no. They don't need to be Ghostbusters. Training a new member would be great, but they need to fit the everyman/woman description. The Rock is no mere mortal and Vin Diesel's just not that good in my opinion.
I'm convinced Kevin is going to be the 5th Ghostbuster. Sheldon from Big Bang is going to be the new version of Gozer, and Patty is gonna get possessed by Zuul (I think her hearing Zuul at the end of credits mirrors Dana "hearing a voice say Zuul). Not sure who the Key Master is going to be (considering they stick with the Gatekeeper/Key Master idea.) Perhaps another new character?

The one and only thing I really hope we get (and now I feel like a broken record) is a solid connection to the originals. I don't care how they do it or how cheesy it is, connect them, please!

By the way Jag, I think you missed timeware's sarcasm there! :blush:
By ghostJAR
timeware wrote:you may not like Vin Diesel. The total earnings of Fast Furious come in at a billion plus. Minus Tokyo Drift where he was only in for a few minutes only brought in 62 mill. Im not even including triple x, or Riddick.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises ... urious.htm

http://www.the-numbers.com/person/72720 ... ab=summary

He's made more money then Feig as an actor.
The Rock is the same story. They don't necessarily have to start off as Ghostbusters or become Ghostbusters. They could be supportive or minor roles such as Cops or city workers to wherever they decide to franchise. Point i'm trying to make is they bring in the cash.

If the new Big Trouble in Little China remake does well the Rock may be seeing a lot of remake, or reboot scripts being offered to him. Heck the Rock's total salary last year almost was 10 mil shy GB2016 made opening weekend!

Another role idea you could have one of them play an actual Ghost Hunter skeptical of the Ghostbusters practices like Walter Peck had been.

It would also be a lot of fun to see Ghost Tour operators holding up anti Ghostbusters signs claiming they are putting them out of business. That would make a great scene involving the Winchester mystery mansion or even the Queen Mary ship.

I like this idea. I like the rock. The way I see it. It can be done, if done right.
By d_osborn
I'm DEFINITELY hoping for a sequel. At some point, have Holtzy and Tolan travel to another dimension for research or something-- give them an inter-galactic LETHAL WEAPON spinoff.
By Ivo Shandor
sjn1279 wrote:New team, new director, new vision, or no thanks.
I'd say no to all three. If there is a sequel, it most definitely should have the same cast. And I think Feig deserves a second shot.
ghostJAR, Sav C, WhoaFoogles and 3 others liked this
By timeware
Having Feig back as the director for the sequel is not a good idea. I'm not saying that he cant be used as a consultant or anything like that. If the first film didn't do well in the box office, and we have no idea how the dvd sales will go if at all you wouldn't race the same losing horse in the Kentucky derby more then once would you?
deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Yeah but was that Feig's fault, or the marketing? I do think the general audience was just wary due to the trailer. Anecdotal, but I have a friend who most likely would have loved it (based on her other tastes), but she's being stubborn about the trailer (meanwhile she was crazy about the uneven tones of Star Trek Beyond's trailers. Go figure. : P)
By Ivo Shandor
JurorNo.2 wrote:Yeah but was that Feig's fault, or the marketing? I do think the general audience was just wary due to the trailer. Anecdotal, but I have a friend who most likely would have loved it (based on her other tastes), but she's being stubborn about the trailer (meanwhile she was crazy about the uneven tones of Star Trek Beyond's trailers. Go figure. : P)
This is why blu-ray/DVD/streaming is going to be so important for ATC. There are probably a lot of people like this. One of my best friends wasn't going to see it because he hated the first trailer. He didn't even see any of the other trailers. I dragged him to the movie and he liked it. He would never have seen it if his friend (me) wasn't a huge GB fan and basically convinced him to go. Other people won't have a friend do that and instead will wait to see it at home.
JurorNo.2, portugueseGB liked this
By EddieSpenser
Seeing how the movies bombs, I highly doubt Paul Feig will ever direct something Ghostbusters-related. And that's a good thing.
And the only way the movie would succeed with DVD/BR would be a 3 GB pack.
By Commander_Jim
Apparently that article was written by someone who thinks movie cinemas are non-profit charities who give all the proceeds from ticket sales back to the studio. It's not just marketing it needs to make up for. As for the rest of it (DVD sales, streaming, merchandise etc), yes that's true. But it's also true of every single other flop, so why cut GB a break?

The movie hasn't come close to making its money back and it's not going to, at this point it looks like Sony could be in the hole for a huge amount. I wouldn't bet on a sequel.
EddieSpenser, deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Commander_Jim wrote:But it's also true of every single other flop, so why cut GB a break?
It seems a lot of media outlets are cutting GB16 a break compared to other blockbusters this summer. I know people assume it's the feminist thing, but I doubt that's the only reason. Critics simply liked GB16 a lot more than most movies this summer. Whether it's your kind of humor or not, it was a movie that focused on dialogue and character chemistry, as opposed to explosions. That is what critics respond to, especially when they're probably so weary of comic book movies at this point (that aren't Marvel, and even they are starting to push it). True, critics liked Star Trek Beyond as well, but I think that's largely good graces from the previous entries.
MonaLS liked this
By timeware
When it comes to critics and CBM's I usually don't bother with reviews. Most critics belong to an older generation who never picked up a comic in their lives and are getting paid to review something they have no interest in. Some CBM's are are a hit or miss but I enjoyed Suicide Squad. RT gives it a 23% rating. I was planning on seeing Ghostbusters yesterday however it had left my theater and the only screen available was on I Max.
By DarkSpectre
If a sequel materializes (potentially unlikely) I'd be surprised if the budget is even half of what this one is and I doubt Feig and Dippold will be back clearly based on box office take their formula isn't overly successful. Besides I doubt Feig is up to another couple of years of getting beat up left and right. Also I've very curious to hear what happens when the NDA's expire. The rumors were that Wiig and McCarthy did not get along and that McCarthy thought the script was garbage. I could easily see them in limited capacity in a sequel and have the new team be Holtzmann and Tolan (since they're the crowd favorites) Kevin and a new 4th member. But again there's not many places for it still to open and the overseas box office hasn't helped much. So we will see. But I echo the statements that the cast was fine, Feig and Dippold need to be replaced. Especially if you're going into the classic territory of Zuul and Gozer.
By JurorNo.2
Well here's the thing, that THR article is saying the same thing as the Houston Press article. There are more outlets besides box office. And overall the reboot did liven up the franchise and could conceivably pave the way for more projects in the future.
such attractions as a new Ghostbusters exhibit at Madame Tussauds and a theme park ride in Dubai
I pass the Madame Tussauds exhibit every day, there's always people wanting to take their picture with the Patty wax figure, lol. For tourists willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money (and they always are), that exhibit could do a lot for Sony.
By DarkSpectre
One thing about other revenue streams that should be noted, The classic merchandise is more prevalent and seems to be out selling the reboot merchandise. Whioch is good for the overall brand, but not necessarily for the reboot itself. I know that in numerous retailers I've visited that the classic stuff is usually sold out and or the reboot merch is over flowing or on clearance. Also the tie in game was a total flop. I personally don't think that sales of classic merchandise should factor into the reboot's success since they're not a part of the reboot. The brand as a whole, yes. but shouldn't be used to bolster success of something that isn't connected to it
deadderek liked this
By Commander_Jim
But the thing is, if the movie had been a bigger hit it would have sold more toys, generated more interest etc. Its all tied together. When Sony is next deciding what to spend $150 million on, will it be a sequel to a film that lost money at the BO and sold enough toys and DVDs to maybe get it out of the red, or will it be something that could be a big hit at the box office and sell a lot more toys? The Sony rep also mentioned third party endoresment sand tie ins (ie, Pringles). I can't imagine those companies would be too happy with the numbers and ready to invest in a sequel.

I also agree with DarkSpectre, I've been seeing a lot of cool original GB stuff doing the rounds (personally I bought a pretty awesome Louis Tully as Vinz figurine) but reboot stuff doesn't seem very popular.

Personally the idea of GB just being left in Reitmans hands entirely if there's no sequel is a lot more appealing.
By JurorNo.2
After the fuss the fandom put up, they'd certainly better enjoy anything Reitman puts out. I don't want to hear anymore "Oh but I wanted this..." Lol. That means no complaining that it's the next Crystal Skull or whatever. No undue nitpicking. If Reitman is what fans wanted, then they really need to want it this time. Or else Sony might just truly give up on us.
By montclaire
Aupego wrote: the promising box office sales mean a sequel is coming for sure.
Are you delusional? Box office is abysmal. Articles are already quoting feig saying he will never reboot ANYTHING again.
Last edited by montclaire on August 10th, 2016, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
By DarkSpectre
JurorNo.2 wrote:Or else Sony might just truly give up on us.
It's happened before, J. There was a long stretch where there was nothing outside of those of us doing builds and costuming. That was back when this iste was GBprops and focused on builds and costumes and a little discussion about the films and cartoons. It was a quiet time for sure. But we kept it going.
seekandannoy, deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
DarkSpectre wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Or else Sony might just truly give up on us.
It's happened before, J. There was a long stretch where there was nothing outside of those of us doing builds and costuming. That was back when this iste was GBprops and focused on builds and costumes and a little discussion about the films and cartoons. It was a quiet time for sure. But we kept it going.
I appreciate that, I do. But I don't want it to go quiet again because fans have this idea of perfection that can never be satisfied.
By DarkSpectre
Well alot of us that have been here a while started as costumers and builders. having new interest and new merchandise was a perk. Builds are what still drive me. If sony would go lights out per se, I'd continue doing what I've been doing since '05. Basically if anyone got into this hobby within the past 8 years, it's been a more vibrant time. New toys, comics, cartoon boxsets, new merchandise and a new film. I can see how alot of newer folks would be scared to see that go away.
JurorNo.2, timeware liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]