Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By JurorNo.2
OK, you all might think I'm crazy for even attempting this, but I was bored, so here goes. I was thinking of comparing the two "Finding the car" scenes in GB84 and GB16.

TO CLARIFY, comparing doesn't mean "better or worse" to me. It's just observations of differences. :)

Now, what I'm looking for here is NOT a simple "this sucks." Or even "this rocks!" I'm talking about what each scene says about the characters and how the writing/acting/editing, etc. gets that across, or not.

Like for instance, the first clip is of course classic Aykroyd gushing over a vehicle (he probably wrote that bit himself), and Ray looking at the positive in any dire situation.

As for the second clip, you know, no one ever mentions Erin in this scene, but I love how she's worrying about the possible dead body while still trying to sound like she's cocky and in on the joking.

Last edited by JurorNo.2 on September 13th, 2016, 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
By SpaceBallz
Well, for one, the original movie's scene was scripted and maybe a few small libs when it came to describing what was wrong with the 30-year old car since that's all they could afford to get their business going while blowing through their start-up business cash.

The rebooted scene was ad-libbed with a tired-ass-12-year-old Oprah quote (btw their 30 year old hearse was in perfect condition).

Comparing the successful original film with the failed reboot is gonna stir some shit in this thread, you realize that right? LOL
By JurorNo.2
Comparing the successful original film with the failed reboot is gonna stir some shit in this thread, you realize that right? LOL
I don't mind (as long as it stays relatively civil), because at least it's an opportunity to talk about the original movies (the main reason I was cool with the reboot). :)

And to clarify, comparing doesn't mean "better or worse" to me, it's just observations.
SpaceBallz wrote:Well, for one, the original movie's scene was scripted and maybe a few small libs when it came to describing what was wrong with the car since that's all they could afford to get their business going while blowing through their start-up business cash.

The rebooted scene was ad-libbed with a tired-ass-12-year-old Oprah quote (btw their hearse was in perfect condition).
Well in GB84, the problem is the car needs everything replaced. In GB16, the problem is a hearse is kind of an awkward thing to be driving around in.
Lefty Throckmorton liked this
By EddieSpenser
Is there even anything to compare?
I mean, the "everybody can relax" begin with a super subtle glimpse on how their branding will evolve (no logo or 3D sign yet) while the reboot has nothing.
When you say that driving around in a hearse is awkward, it's only because of its color, it's a false debate they're having.
And in my opinion, the body dialogue is cringy.
By JurorNo.2
EddieSpenser wrote: When you say that driving around in a hearse is awkward, it's only because of its color, it's a false debate they're having.
Interesting, can you explain further?

I will say, in GB84, the car itself plays more into the humor. They get across that it's an ambulance (and therefore awkward) because the car has those curtains in the windows, which makes the car seem even more inappropriate (and yet somehow totally appropriate!). Whereas in GB16, the humor isn't really from the car itself, it's from Patty's misplaced enthusiasm. Same with Ray though actually. They're similar characters in some ways. People just assumed she was supposed to be Winston (no comment there, heh) but her sunny-against-all-odds attitude is a lot more like Ray.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on September 13th, 2016, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
I hear you on being bored, this board does get pretty slow sometimes. Anyways here is my (over) analysis:

For the original, we start out viewing the sign and wonder along with Venkman if it is too subtle. We then hear the unsubtle siren coming from the left, and the camera pans and tilts to see the car. It is a long lasting shot giving us time to take in their new location, and gives the car a big entrance (they give it another big reveal once work on it is complete.)

In the reboot they probably didn’t feel the need to give the car a big entrance, as it is now inevitable for the Ghostbusters drive a hearse. I’d also assume the location has already been established (I haven’t seen the film yet,) therefore they didn’t need a wide shot of the street.

In the original the car drives towards the camera, creating depth through motion. In the reboot there is little to no camera movement (although I'll take that any day over shaky cam,) and the shots seem to lack depth. The focus is less on the car and more on the dialogue.

The lighting contributes to the lack of depth too. In the original the scene is lit low key. It is fairly high contrast. This causes depth as the subjects stand out from the background. In the reboot the lighting is somewhat flat or high key, there aren’t many shadows. The background is roughly the same brightness as the characters.

I’ll take a little detour here. I know in the past I somewhat criticized the reboot ghosts for being too low key, but that was because I felt that they would naturally be illuminating the room, yet they weren’t. For things like people I feel differently, and think it is only natural to light people low key, although it is a stylistic choice.

In conclusion, for the original it is the opening of a business, and they make it big. The shot is wide and has movements which make it seem big, the score is big, and the sound effects are big. The reboot just doesn’t seem to have much flare. There is no score, and the only sound effect is a car horn. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good, it just isn’t as big.

Maybe I'm analyzing this too deeply considering I haven't seen the reboot scene in-context. Hopefully I make a few good points, though.
Last edited by Sav C on September 13th, 2016, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Kingpin wrote:Just a note that the original Ecto-1 pre-conversion was an ambulance, rather than a hearse.
Ack, you're right, I got confused. I tend to memorize dialogue better, lol.
By MagicPrime
I think a 1980s GMC ambulance would have been a better choice for the Ecto-1. There may have been some 1980s Caddy Ambulances. I'd have to google.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote:I hear you on being bored, this board does get pretty slow sometimes. Anyways here is my (over) analysis:

For the original, we start out viewing the sign and wonder along with Venkman if it is too subtle. We then hear the unsubtle siren coming from the left, and the camera pans and tilts to see the car. It is a long lasting shot giving us time to take in their new location, and gives the car a big entrance (they give it another big reveal once work on it is complete.)

In the reboot they probably didn’t feel the need to give the car a big entrance, as it is now inevitable for the Ghostbusters drive a hearse. I’d also assume the location has already been established (I haven’t seen the film yet,) therefore they didn’t need a wide shot of the street.

In the original the car drives towards the camera, creating depth through motion. In the reboot there is little to no camera movement (although I'll take that any day over shaky cam,) and the shots seem to lack depth. The focus is less on the car and more on the dialogue.

The lighting contributes to the lack of depth too. In the original the scene is lit low key. It is fairly high contrast. This causes depth as the subjects stand out from the background. In the reboot the lighting is somewhat flat or high key, there aren’t many shadows. The background is roughly the same brightness as the characters.

I’ll take a little detour here. I know in the past I somewhat criticized the reboot ghosts for being too low key, but that was because I felt that they would naturally be illuminating the room, yet they weren’t. For things like people I feel differently, and think it is only natural to light people low key, although it is a stylistic choice.

In conclusion, for the original it is the opening of a business, and they make it big. The shot is wide and has movements which make it seem big, the score is big, and the sound effects are big. The reboot just doesn’t seem to have much flare. There is no score, and the only sound effect is a car horn. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good, it just isn’t as big.

Maybe I'm analyzing this too deeply considering I haven't seen the reboot scene in-context. Hopefully I make a few good points, though.
Excellent, thank you for taking the time to analyze! Great technical points (which I'm not very good at, lol). Yea, with GB84 there was more of a feeling of TV comedians making the big transition to movies, and movies in general were a bigger deal, more respected. Like I said before, GB16 is closer to its TV SNL roots, where you're paying attention to the jokes, not nessecarily the camera work.
Sav C liked this
By aevitale
In fairness, the original movie has a practically legendary status, both amongst genuine fans and regular folks alike. Regardless of the aspect you're comparing, it's gonna be tough for the reboot to achieve that same tier.
Sav C, EddieSpenser, JurorNo.2 and 2 others liked this
By MagicPrime
It's amazing seeing those side by side and how flat the GB2016 scene is. Its just everyone standing, back > forth > back > forth and anytime anyone is speaking they are on camera.

And again, the 'jokes' are all dialog in ATC where as in Ghostbusters the joke comes from the scene itself. Ray is so freaking excited about this crap car that he's overpaid for and Peter is just flabbergasted at what his friend has done.
Sav C, EddieSpenser, MonaLS and 4 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:It's amazing seeing those side by side and how flat the GB2016 scene is Its just everyone standing, back > forth > back > forth and anytime anyone is speaking they are on camera.
Again, it does remind me of sketch comedy. Throw a rough set together and proceed with the sketch.
And again, the 'jokes' are all dialog in ATC where as in Ghostbusters the joke comes from the scene itself. Ray is so freaking excited about this crap car that he's overpaid for and Peter is just flabbergasted at what his friend has done.
Well Patty is also far too excited about the car. And the others are pretty incredulous. It is the same motivations. Well, except that they don't know Patty that well yet so they don't have that rueful fondness Peter clearly has for Ray's quirks.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on September 13th, 2016, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:Excellent, thank you for taking the time to analyze! Great technical points (which I'm not very good at, lol). Yea, with GB84 there was more of a feeling of TV comedians making the big transition to movies, and movies in general were a bigger deal, more respected. Like I said before, GB16 is closer to its TV SNL roots, where you're paying attention to the jokes, not nessecarily the camera work.
Thanks :) It is definitely a different style from the first two films, which is probably a really good thing as it helps distinguish between the two.
MagicPrime wrote:It's amazing seeing those side by side and how flat the GB2016 scene is. Its just everyone standing, back > forth > back > forth and anytime anyone is speaking they are on camera.
Kind of what I was getting at, only you said it in less words.
JurorNo.2, HunterCC liked this
By MonaLS
SpaceBallz wrote:Comparing the successful original film with the failed reboot is gonna stir some shit in this thread, you realize that right? LOL
Isn't that what this forum is for?

I like both of the clips, but the second one actually makes me laugh.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
MonaLS wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:Comparing the successful original film with the failed reboot is gonna stir some shit in this thread, you realize that right? LOL

GB16 is Funny-Haha. GB84 is Funny-Grin. If that makes sense.
Sav C, Webster, MonaLS liked this
By Alphagaia
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MonaLS wrote:

For me it does, at least. I still like GB84 better, but GB:ATC had me laughing more out loud.
Sav C, Webster, JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
Alphagaia wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
For me it does, at least. I still like GB84 better, but GB:ATC had me laughing more out loud.
Exactly, they just provoke different reactions. If I had to choose, I'd watch GB84...Well actually I might choose GBII, lol.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Webster
Alphagaia wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
I think you've sumed up my feelings as well. I love both: GB84 was fantastic and very funny, but there is so much that's throw away, it has to be watched multiple times to really get the full effect. One of my favourite lines is Ray: "Listen...Do you smell that?". I'm not afraid to say that I completely missed that line multiple times to begin with and whilst it always makes me grin from ear to ear, it's never made me laugh out loud.. GB:ATC had me laughing out loud straight away, and continued to do so after several viewings.

Of the two scenes I like them both and think that they play to the actors styles very well. I don't think either scene would have worked as well if you swaped the cast over eg, GB84 cast performing the 'herse' version and vise versa.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By MagicPrime
I know we keep saying that humor is subjective and all, but try as I might I can't find anything or remember anything that was, in my mind, LOL worthy. I don't even remember anyone else in my theater having a good laugh - it was actually pretty somber.
By MonaLS
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MonaLS wrote:

Exactly! Sometimes I'm not so good at expressing myself.
By JurorNo.2
MonaLS wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Exactly! Sometimes I'm not so good at expressing myself.
Oh I'm the same way, I still don't think "grin" is exactly the right word. Hmm...
By SpaceBallz
This is like saying the Halloween remake was more scarier because there were more jump scares than the original. Does it make it a better film? No. But hey, at least it made you jump.
By JurorNo.2
None of us said funnier. We said they provoke different reactions.
By pferreira1983
MagicPrime wrote:I know we keep saying that humor is subjective and all, but try as I might I can't find anything or remember anything that was, in my mind, LOL worthy. I don't even remember anyone else in my theater having a good laugh - it was actually pretty somber.
You could probably hear a pin drop.

What I loved about the scene in the 84 film is Ray coming in the car and Bill Murray almost getting himself run over trying to stop the car from parking. Oh and the line about the price was great, something "only 48 hundred". :lol:
JurorNo.2, HunterCC liked this
By Sav C
MagicPrime wrote:I think a 1980s GMC ambulance would have been a better choice for the Ecto-1. There may have been some 1980s Caddy Ambulances. I'd have to google.
I think I like the Cadillac ambulances more than the GMC ones, they seem to look more like the Ecto-1 (possibly more so than the 80s Cadillac hearses.)
JurorNo.2 liked this
By scythemantis
Actually, nothing would have stirred shit other than you beating the dead horse of your contempt for a harmless movie.

The only reason it failed was bitter fans and a lack of taste. It was fun, but everyone got hung up on their little baby fanboy problems.
JurorNo.2, Razorgeist liked this
By MagicPrime
scythemantis wrote:
Actually, nothing would have stirred shit other than you beating the dead horse of your contempt for a harmless movie.

The only reason it failed was bitter fans and a lack of taste. It was fun, but everyone got hung up on their little baby fanboy problems.
Just because you type them online doesn't turn your opinions into facts.
pferreira1983, HunterCC liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]