Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Hashtag not all fans. Just sayin, maybe instead of his go-to defense of blaming sexism and "the patriarchy" he could look past his own hubris and realize that maybe his product is a bit shoddy? That he made a Paul Fieg movie with Ghostbusters staples shoehorned in, instead of stepping out of his comfort zone and making a proper Ghostbusters movie.

I digress, but the guy just seems to live in an echo chamber. Totally clueless.
savintheday wrote:Hashtag not all fans. Just sayin, maybe instead of his go-to defense of blaming sexism and "the patriarchy" he could look past his own hubris and realize that maybe his product is a bit shoddy? That he made a Paul Fieg movie with Ghostbusters staples shoehorned in, instead of stepping out of his comfort zone and making a proper Ghostbusters movie.

Ehh, that's kinda like saying RGB should have had Reitman directing every episode. RGB did have a very different style and tone from the movies in many ways, and not just because it's a kid's show. That doesn't mean it's wrong or bad.
Alphagaia wrote:The media really likes to put clickbait words in Pauls and Ernies mouth it seems.
Worse, people seem to fall for it.
It's not that they fall for it, it's that they look for opinions that reinforce their own (we all do it of course).

And checking out "Heat Street's" other articles, yeah, Agenda Alert, lol.
Just an update, Hudson's social media posted about GB16's bonus footage last night. Doesn't seem to have been any break up with Sony. ;)
JurorNo.2 wrote:Ehh, that's kinda like saying RGB should have had Reitman directing every episode. RGB did have a very different style and tone from the movies in many ways, and not just because it's a kid's show. That doesn't mean it's wrong or bad.
It's a matter of preference of course, and I'm sure there are several directors out there who could've done as well or even better than Reitman and Aykroyd. But...Feig....ugh. I get that some people like his style but I think he would be one of my last choices to helm a Ghostbusters movie. Dead last, actually.

Ah well. The damage is done.
deadderek liked this
savintheday wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Ehh, that's kinda like saying RGB should have had Reitman directing every episode. RGB did have a very different style and tone from the movies in many ways, and not just because it's a kid's show. That doesn't mean it's wrong or bad.
It's a matter of preference of course, and I'm sure there are several directors out there who could've done as well or even better than Reitman and Aykroyd. But...Feig....ugh. I get that some people like his style but I think he would be one of my last choices to helm a Ghostbusters movie. Dead last, actually.

Ah well. The damage is done.
Well that's different, you're certainly entitled to a preference.

The damage is one movie you didn't like and a bunch of attention given to a franchise you overall do like.
savintheday wrote:Here's to the future then. Hopefully this faceplant didn't put Ghost Corps under.
Well perfect is the enemy of the good. I do think we would have gotten a GBIII sooner if audiences hadn't been so harsh on GBII. And now that's been repeated. So, hmm...
Alphagaia, Sav C, deadderek and 1 others liked this
Harsh on GB2? Compared to criticism gb16 or phantom menace, it was all rainbows and butterflies. I think audience had little to do with a delay on a third film. Gb2 made alot of money im sure thats all the studio cared about. The real delay was the cast not agreeing to do a sequel and the studio not having interest. Ghostbusters in the 90s was in a creative purgatory, was no longer a fresh idea nor old enough to be nostalgic. The ironic part is they joked about franchising ghostbusters in the movie84 but weren't prepared to do it in real life. They should of had toys, cartoons and a secound movie planned immediately following the first movie.

Id agree that paul fieg wasnt a good fit. quentin tarantino wouldn't be my first choice to make a rom com. Feig rebooted a franchise while he admitted to not fully understanding the franchises. RGB though different, had the same feel and made by people who were passionate about it.. Watching the dvd commentary, most of them still seem upset , even decades later, about creative changes the studio forced.
ccv66 wrote:They should of had toys, cartoons and a secound movie planned immediately following the first movie.
Why would they? They were at best expecting it to be a well-regarded one-off, not an actual franchise starter.
ccv66, JurorNo.2, deadderek liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote: Ehh, that's kinda like saying RGB should have had Reitman directing every episode. RGB did have a very different style and tone from the movies in many ways, and not just because it's a kid's show. That doesn't mean it's wrong or bad.
Except that the cartoons kept the original characters/origins intact while adding new story lines.
And just because there were some female characters in a one season cartoon from the 90s and the comics doesn't mean the majority of the viewing public knows they exist or will ever be planning to watch/read them.
Just because there an unknown thing doesn't give Feig the right to take credit. Also there were the Jr. Ghostbusters and Janine that suited up several times through out real ghostbusters.

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Junior_Ghostbusters The Jr.Ghostbusters had a female Ghostbuster.
timeware wrote:
And just because there were some female characters in a one season cartoon from the 90s and the comics doesn't mean the majority of the viewing public knows they exist or will ever be planning to watch/read them.
Just because there an unknown thing doesn't give Feig the right to take credit. Also there were the Jr. Ghostbusters and Janine that suited up several times through out real ghostbusters.

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Junior_Ghostbusters The Jr.Ghostbusters had a female Ghostbuster.
That's not "taking credit," lol. And you know, I can't say I watch Feig's movies, I have no reason to defend the guy. Except that the detractors are always so outrageous in their criticism. You guys always spin everything about him and this movie into the worst possible thing.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on October 15th, 2016, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ccv66 wrote:Gb2 made alot of money im sure thats all the studio cared about.
Well we've discussed that at length on this board, it is NOT all the studio cares about. There's a reason why the bonus features for GBII were so sparse over the years. They didn't think the demand was there.
Feig rebooted a franchise while he admitted to not fully understanding the franchises.
He said he didn't understand how angry fans would get. And btw, Hudson said the same thing in that interview. Yes, they understand fans wanted a sequel. But after that, no one understands why the reaction became so toxic against this one particular reboot. There was nothing normal about this year.
and made by people who were passionate about it.
And just because some fans didn't like GB16, doesn't mean the creators weren't passionate about it. And it does have a lot of the same feel too.
Alphagaia, Sav C, Razorgeist liked this
Yeah it was hard enough getting Bill to do two films, much less three. I know they never figured on doing a sequel , but if dan aykroid knew how hard it would be getting a third film i think he would have approached making sequels different/sooner... Maybe if they released Ghostbusters 2 in '88 and dont get overshadowed by Batman and indiana jones, they would made a thurd film sooner. " Strike while the iron is hot"

i don't think Tmnt is as popular as Ghostbusters, but they put out 3 movies in 4 years, hit arcade game and cartoon/toys. Now its a franchise that won't die despite varing in quality. Now Theres at least 6 movies 4 different tv series and toys in every store.
That's not "taking credit," lol. And you know, I can't say I watch Feig's movies, I have no reason to defend the guy. Except that the detractors are always so outrageous in their criticism. You guys always spin everything about him and this movie into the worst possible thing.
Do you blame people for not liking the guy? I agree that some, and not all of the articles had been cherry picked to put him in bad light but he hasn't exactly done himself any favors. I cant find any instances where Sam went off the rails against his fans over the Evil Dead II remake.

In Pauls case he did have a right to defend the girls against that douchebag Milo. The girls got a lot of shit, and I've been vocal about supporting them. Ive also been vocal about them instigating crap and getting in twitter wars.

He has a motive for not wanting to acknowledge there has been female GB's before this movie.

I think that's just a bit disingenuous for him to obviously throw in cartoon references without acknowledging this. He did say he was inspired by IDW at some point but he hasn't been vocal of what he's used from the comics. I'm starting to think that Holtzman may have been an algamated product of Egon and Christains RGB characters. (Maybe.)
SpaceBallz, deadderek liked this
timeware wrote:
Do you blame people for not liking the guy? I agree that some, and not all of the articles had been cherry picked to put him in bad light but he hasn't exactly done himself any favors. I cant find any instances where Sam went off the rails against his fans over the Evil Dead II remake.
When did Paul go off at fans of GB because they did not want a remake? I've seen him say countless of times he understands people not liking a reboot, but he has no understanding for people hating the women and/or trolls like Cassidy.

It's even in this latest interview, but still I see people insisting he also targeted general fans disappointed with the reboot.
Paul Feig wrote:“I understand some people are mad it wasn’t a sequel,” Feig said. “I more have a problem with the people that are mad because the cast are women. They gotta deal with that themselves."
JurorNo.2, Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:
timeware wrote:
When did Paul go off at fans of GB because they did not want a remake? I've seen him say countless of times he understands people not liking a reboot, but he has no understanding for people hating the women and/or trolls like Cassidy.

It's even in this latest interview, but still I see people insisting he also targeted general fans disappointed with the reboot.
Paul Feig wrote:“I understand some people are mad it wasn’t a sequel,” Feig said. “I more have a problem with the people that are mad because the cast are women. They gotta deal with that themselves."
I think for some fans, nothing less than Feig saying, "I was wrong" will satisfy them. Any attempt to defend himself or his work is interpreted as "insulting the fans."

Fanbases have become accustomed to Marvel doing an extra Mandarin video just to placate them. A director standing by his work is not what they want to see.
Sav C, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
ccv66 wrote:Ive brought up the budget in the past. The budget was fine for a blockbuster or a Ghostbusters movie, but not for the movie they made.
The budget was not fine, they wasted so much money. There was no excuse for the movie to cost so much.
Raystantz Italy wrote:Also: That whole section about the movie being made during a "perfect storm" of protesting the male patriarchy = Feig admitting what his true agenda was all along.
It's pretty obvious even during the making of the movie that Feig wanted to make his movie, unfortunately it wasn't one a lot of people wanted to see. It's like having a joke and the only person who thought it was funny was that person.
savintheday wrote:
I don't want to say clueless, more misguided...actually clueless as well. :mrgreen:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Wish that were true. I really do. And even when it was about the reboot, the reaction was still bizarrely over the top.
Will the pro reboot fans start calling him sexist
Mum, dad...we you please stop shouting! :shock:
Alphagaia wrote:
Yeah but the guy didn't exactly hide the fact he was making a film for his own ends. Remember that picture where he had all the female crew hold up a 'girl power' banner? I mean come on, what about the males who worked on the movie, they aren't allowed photo recognition? :roll:

The fact is Feig had his own agenda while making this movie, he not so subtly hid it which angered the fans who wished he could at least be up front about his feminist intentions. I suppose he did what he did because Sony want to remain neutral but it didn't work big time. How can you trust someone for a franchise who isn't open that the reason they're making this movie is only because they can only make movies with women in them? It doesn't inspire confidence. Perhaps I'm wrong here. Perhaps Feig in his mind took all this for granted, I've said before he and Pascal seemed to think they were doing us a favour having a Ghostbusters movie revolve around female comedians instead of a Ghostbusters movie featuring female comedians. I'm sure Feig is incredibly proud of the film and in his mind using a film to provide feminism seems absolutely normal. However I can't believe he made this reboot without realising people had grown up with it. Maybe that's why he never listened to the fans, he might have realised there were any fans left but then it makes him out to be a complete incompetent and I can't believe that. Plus Feig as mentioned before wasn't honest about the movie he was making so is he being clueless about the longevity of the Ghostbusters franchise over time? Like I said he can't be that incompetent, that's like saying I'm going to reboot Star Wars but have no idea kids grew up with it. That just sounds stupid.
SpaceBallz, deadderek liked this
pferreira1983 wrote:The budget was not fine, they wasted so much money. There was no excuse for the movie to cost so much.
It's easy to say that when you didn't enjoy the film, though I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've not actually seen an itemised list of what the film's budget was spent on.

Few of us are likely professionals in accountancy and really big budgets, and I'm sure even fewer of us are experts in actually making movies - can we maybe stop playing amateur account and movie maker now? The hyperbole is getting a little old. Let's not forget that it looks like Feig built most of the sets required for the reboot on the disused site in Boston, rather than ship the whole thing over to Los Angeles, that surely goes a little way towards spending the budget wisely.
pferreira1983 wrote:Remember that picture where he had all the female crew hold up a 'girl power' banner? I mean come on, what about the males who worked on the movie, they aren't allowed photo recognition? :roll:
At the risk of putting some noses out of joint: They need that sort of photo recognition as much as non-LGBT people need a "straight pride" day (spoiler alert = every day is "straight pride"). :P
JurorNo.2, Razorgeist liked this
Kingpin wrote:
It's easy to say that when you didn't enjoy the film, though I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you've not actually seen an itemised list of what the film's budget was spent on.
No I mean that about a lot of films today. So much money is spent for no reason. They could have halved the budget and still got what they wanted.

Kingpin wrote:At the risk of putting some noses out of joint: They need that sort of photo recognition as much as non-LGBT people need a "straight pride" day (spoiler alert = every day is "straight pride"). :P
Or how about none at all? :wink:

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]