Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Alphagaia
This guy has some great art from the time ATC was supposed to use very scary ghosts.

Right here is how Slimer would have looked emerging from the Gangster who gets shot to bits by the GB.
Just wow. I would have loved it of they had used this style.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rVKPL

Also some Clown with a head that acts like a Jack in the Box.

Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By mrmichaelt
Nice to finally have a visual for what they meant early on about ghosts from 'alien dimensions' through the evolution of Mayhem's design (and shift in locales from Comic Con to an Opera House).

Also pretty cool to get to see what the Gangster Ghost and Slimer concept looked like after it was mentioned in an article during PR for the movie.

Clown ghosts must have been from the Times Square fight. Guess the tall ring leader was the only survivor of those designs.

The Ecto-2 RV was a delightful surprise. Wonder if they got the idea from IDW comics since their Ecto-2 is an RV. That would have been an interesting ending but way too hi-tech and hi-concept and the ending we got with Patty and her uncle arguing about the hearse was a more grounded way to go.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
Nice find Alpha. This movie could have been so much better with these little changes rather then a copy of the original. The RV should have been included or at least have been used as an ending credit scene with the girls standing in front of it holding smoking traps. A nice setup for the sequel.

Not to mention the toy possibilities, I swear the marketing department had their head's up their-well you know.
By Sav C
Campers make for the coolest movie vehicles (besides the Ecto-1 and 1A of course)...
EDIT: When searching for the EM50, there are considerably more images relating to it than when I would've first looked it up over a year or two now. Now people have built it out of Lego, and I even noticed some fan art. Just wish there was a model kit!
Noremon liked this
By timeware
The only critique I have on the RV concept is the vehicle that comes out in front. I would have liked to have seen the RV's roof open and had Holtsman flying the Ecto 2.

A city wide ghost chase would have made good use of the Headless Motorcyclist. If they hadn't spent half the budget on Paul's wardrobe Kevin could have had some more action scenes , and looked intelligent operating the equipment.
By Sav C
That's a good point. I don't think I would've liked it if Slimer was a mafioso, but it is a very cool idea and would've worked well as the backstory behind a new ghost. If they ever make a sequel they should use it.
By Lee FW
One aspect I really loved about ATC was the variety in ghosts like the parade balloons, the stilt walker and the various human ghosts from different periods but I was never really a fan of the design of mayhem...however the concepts for him are awesome, I love the slightly ravenesque one with the black mist and skeletal bird head.

The clowns are fun although the final jack in a box image is a good example of gone too far, definitely far creepier just with the wide grin.

I always liked the mobster origin for slimer and cool to see how that could've played out. Shame it never happened.

The R.V at first glance looks too slick but colour it red and white and it would've fit in the RGB universe perfectly, I can imagine it's gonna now turn up in the IDWverse in some capacity. Those guys are easter egg kings!
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Sav C wrote:That's a good point. I don't think I would've liked it if Slimer was a mafioso, but it is a very cool idea and would've worked well as the backstory behind a new ghost. If they ever make a sequel they should use it.
I'm impartial to it. Since it's a different universe, Slimer can have a different origin in each one.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
A gangster from the 30's is something I can get into. Slimer giving orders from an Italian restaurant would explain his gluttony. His helping the GB's could be a way for his atonement of what he did when he was alive. Plus it would be an excuse to have an awesome car chase with tommy guns and old cars.
By Sav C
Just in case anyone missed it they actually made a video talking about Slimer's origin:
Alphagaia wrote:I'm impartial to it. Since it's a different universe, Slimer can have a different origin in each one.
I would be willing to accept a Slimer with a mafia background so long as it is not assumed that it is the original Slimer's background. I like Slimer far too much in the originals for him to have been a mafioso when he was alive.
timeware wrote:A gangster from the 30's is something I can get into. Slimer giving orders from an Italian restaurant would explain his gluttony. His helping the GB's could be a way for his atonement of what he did when he was alive. Plus it would be an excuse to have an awesome car chase with tommy guns and old cars.
Perhaps Slimer could end up saving the day by making Rowan an offer he couldn't refuse... I don't know, Slimer's too cheerful to have been a mobster. It's a good concept though, and would've worked well with another Class V Full-Roaming Vapour.
By timeware
There's quite a few RGB episodes involving the 30's, and Al Capone. A lot of great villains got passed over for the creation of Rowan. Having Slimer start off working under Ghostmaster and throwing Rowan in ghost jail for his failure could be a good story to explore.
Oh my god. I overall enjoyed the movie and feel it got way too much hate (and continues to do so) but it HURTS MY SOUL that the FX department rejected almost all of these in favor of just "a classical devil" and normal human-looking ghosts.

I get the sense that a lot of this film's crew didn't really understand why "ghosts" would look like monsters, even though wild creature design, to me, is a cornerstone of the Ghostbusters franchise as fundamental as all the busting technology.

I am kind of glad they didn't replace slimer with that overly edgy design, but change its coloration, call it something else, and it's pretty boss on its own.

The smoky raven and the multi-armed alien being are definitely my favorites, and the Jack-in-the-box clown, even if, yeah, the second head is a little corny looking, a little too "Heavy Metal Album" for my tastes.

All these outrageous ghosts would have been SO marketable, too, I can't believe how often people in Hollywood basically go "nah...make this more boring. That's what people want."
Sav C liked this
By One time
If you look at all the toys released after the movie you can tell they were aimed at kids aged between 4-12.

Mattel Ghostbusters 2016 Slimer figure (released 2016)

VS

NECA Ghostbusters 1984 Slimer figure (released 2004)

There's no way they could sell those concept ghost designs to kids between those ages.
By Alphagaia
Yeah, merch sells. It can be a deciding factor, though fox made a plush out of a facehugger. And Mayhem was toned down in Lego as well. My point being you can attract both groups in merch.
Before they lowered the core group, it was supposed to be scarier. I wonder what happened.
Yeah no, being aimed at kids would not at all be the reason. Not just the plush facehugger example; fully detailed action figures of Alien, Predator and all kinds of horror characters are a HUGE hit with young children and have been since I was one.

I think we can really chalk it up to the same reason aliens and monsters in even adult movies tend to be very, very bland and samey. Hollywood higher-ups tend to think the stranger the design, the harder it is to sell.

Look at the Resident Evil movies, even; they BARELY stray from zombies while the games are full of outrageous mutants and giant killer bugs.
Alphagaia, One time, Sav C liked this

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]