Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Although I enjoyed ATC 2016 I think the article showed one of the problems I had with the movie.

I thought there was too much improvising. Looking at the extra features on the blueray there were a lot of scenes where it seemed the actor/actress was just doing improv. It felt like they just set up the camera, pushed record and told the actor to go. I am sure there was a lot of funny scenes but not the way to make a movie.
Sav C, Wafflerobot, Merrimon liked this
Sav C wrote: May 29th, 2019, 11:36 pm I do agree. I think improv, in most cases, is helped by having a clear tone decided on for the scene beforehand. Having a script to deviate from helps to set the tone.
I think improv can elevate a scene, but also diminish it. Feigs movies are all famous for improv, he loves to let his actors shine, and Bridesmaids was made better for it.

In this instance, the improv got in the way of the story. They had a script ofcourse, the making of explains they always shot the scene straight, but them did multiple takes where the actors could go wild.

In the end, I think he should have trimmed the fat and allow the movie to breath a little more. The extended edition and the lost scenes added a lot more meat to especially Erin and Abby's characters.

As it is now, it's a little to much focus on jokes then story.
Sav C liked this
In this week’s issue of Variety, Hemsworth reveals that he almost quit the movie directed by Paul Feig. “The night before I was shooting, I almost pulled out,” Hemsworth says. “Three or four weeks prior, Paul said to me, ‘I’m going to write up the character. Don’t worry.’ And then I got the script and nothing had changed.”

His agent, Bryan Lourd, set up a last-minute meeting with Feig, who assured Hemsworth there would be a lot to do — through improvisation. “I was really scared walking onto that set,” Hemsworth says. “I had no real plan, so I was just feeding off of them, and I just felt ridiculous. So I used that.”
That makes a lot of sense now. It also explains why there's hours of unused footage of just ad-libbing.
Alphagaia wrote: May 29th, 2019, 11:48 pm In the end, I think he should have trimmed the fat and allow the movie to breath a little more. The extended edition and the lost scenes added a lot more meat to especially Erin and Abby's characters.
That's a good point. I remember preferring the extended cut, since it seemed to flesh out the story better. Perhaps if some of the less necessary scenes (or lines) were cut out of the extended cut, it would be better than the theatrical cut.

I wish the script would be released. I remember Feig said that Murray had a great improvisational moment on set, but to be honest I never figured out what it was. Granted, knowing Bill, he could of improvised the entire role! I'm pretty sure Carl Spackler in Caddyshack was completely improvised, and he's the highlight of the movie.
NotSabbat liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]