Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By RichRyan1507
Has anyone seen the ATC Fan Edit below? I'm watching it right now. I have to admit as someone who really didn't care for the 2016 movie for a lot of reasons, this makes it much much better. Gets rid of a lot of the nonsense, allows things to breathe, no cameos, less improv, etc... It allows the the good jokes to actually land and have an impact. The bad VFX and color choices are still there, but there's nothing you can do about that. I still don't think that this movie needed to be made, but wow, this Fan Edit actually makes it entertaining to me.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/ghostbusters-iii
By DarkSpectre
I haven't seen that one but I made one. It's available for all that want to see it. Just PM me. This edit sounds very similar to mine. I aslo changed the ending so they cross the streams to stop Rowan
By GBfan_CH
Just checked It out. As someone who doesn’t mind the two original versions I have to say this fanedit appeals more to my personal tastes. More focus on the plot, less tangents, less dancing (not zero dancing though). Toilet humour reduced. No Bill Murray cameo. More Rowan. No Fallout Boy.

I’ve only watched about 20 random minutes so far but it’s more like the film I wish everyone got to see in 2016. My opinion. Now someone get working on replacing the Statue of Liberty in GB2 with some fancy CGI. We must George Lucas these sequels!!!!!
By SSJmole
RichRyan1507 wrote: July 18th, 2019, 5:27 pm No it's still there but they shortened it a bit and got rid of Erin's stupid DeBarge joke.
Oh ,that's disappointing I liked it as is. Like when Spider-man 2.1 changed the elevator scene it ruined one of my favourite moments and hurt .y enjoyment not rest.

But hopefully others like
By Styrofoam_Guy
I haven't watched the edit yet but reminds me of the Star Wars Prequels and the edit that took out a lot of the cringworthy stuff. They were called the anti-cheese versions and the movies are actually pretty good.

I didn't mind ATC but I am interested in watching this and comparing them.
RichRyan1507, One time liked this
By DarkSpectre
I watched this edit and honestly they should release that version. It's soooooooo much better than either version available. It actually felt like a Ghostbusters film and not a Paul Feig film about ghosts.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
DarkSpectre wrote: July 19th, 2019, 8:21 am I watched this edit and honestly they should release that version. It's soooooooo much better than either version available. It actually felt like a Ghostbusters film and not a Paul Feig film about ghosts.
For sure! For me the third act still wasn't good. Too much cheesiness (Slimer's role, the dancing, etc...) and I thought the battle scenes were way over done, but there's nothing you can do about that kind of thing. That was writing, not editing. Overall this edit makes the movie at least watchable and actually enjoyable.
By DarkSpectre
That was my goal when i did my edit too. This one blew mine out of the water. It really goes to show you How much Paul Feig inserted his brand into this film when you see the Feigness greatly minimized
By Chicken, He Clucked
How would I get hold of this edit - I can't see a link on the fanedit.org? I really enjoyed Dark Spectre's Total Protonic Reversal Cut.

And how does the film deal with Murray's cameo given it's an embedded plot point in moving them to the mayors office?
By GBfan_CH
Watched the whole thing tonight. The first 20 mins or so is clunky because it’s over-edited but beyond that this is a significantly better film. I now believe the reason GB16 had a muted impact was because Paul Feig couldn’t let go of enough improv jokes. The storyline really comes out when the humour is focussed.

Half an hour’s worth of puns trimmed. That’s shocking!!
By Alphagaia
Well, I'm glad people are liking the story and characters in a revised way!

A bit shocked people think Bill Murray's part didn't add anything to the story though. While not his best performance, it had a few good moments like the garbage truck line, but it also shows how Erin puts 'how people perceive her' before the feelings of the group. She willfully sets their only ghost free just to convince mr. Dickless the second and, as expected, it blows up in her face. Together with the Nosebuster scene, her leaving the group and the rescue of Abby at the end it creates a character growth where she finally stops thinking about herself and be the friend she needed to be.
By ccv66
Haven't watched ATC since the extended version came out on Blu-ray. Pretty much hated it. Too many cringy improv lines.. The fan edit was so much more enjoyable. Stuck to story , didn't force a joke every other minute
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Chicken, He Clucked
Finally watched this Fanedit and it really does achieve what it sets out to do, for better and worse. It focuses on the story and trims the ad-libs, the issue being, the story on it's own isn't that great and the film is shot like a Fieg comedy and it needs some of those ad-libs to breathe.

What I love about the FanEdit:

- The Aldridge mansion alterations were very well done and completely changed the tone of the scene.
- removing Murray works brilliantly.
- Overall changes to focus on the story were very well done. I'm sure there is ton of work going on in this edit which I barely noticed but which totally improve the flow of the film.
- The Ghost soundtrack gag.

Negatives
- Not much. There are still sections I would personally cut out, and I know from sifting through some deleted scenes there are some lines which I would substitute.
- I felt like the re-inserted scenes were used to flesh out the story rather than comedy/characters.
- I would like a cut which desaturates some of the colours, and experiments with some fx eg. white out Kevin's eyes when possessed during the cop confrontation just to add to his menace etc.

Overall, I still feel there is an optimum cut out there which balances the tone established in this cut, with some of the alternate takes that ended up on the cutting room floor.

I think I prefer Dark Spectre's Total Protonic Reversal cut overall. But my main takeaway is the problems with this film cannot be salvaged in the edit. However, in both these fan edits the first scene with the mayor really shines and contains my favourite dialogue from the whole film.
By DarkSpectre
Seeing the other edit made me reevaluate some of the things I left in mine. One of these days I may tweak it. I liked more of the Yates/Gilbert scenes added in and the story really isn't awful when you remove a good portion of the ad libbing. There was a little too much of Wiig's awkwardness that was left in that I trimmed out. I also felt removing the crotch shot to rowan made the weapons seem more powerful and got rid of the dumb female Slimer. Love Robin Shelby but the lady Slimer was lame.
RichRyan1507, One time liked this
By guitar1036
@richryan1507 - Don't have time to watch the whole fan edit at the moment, but what I did see.. wow. The movie would have been so much better with your edits! How did the real editing floor leave so much crap in? With your edits I actually laughed a few times (more than the once I did watching the real movie).
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
guitar1036 wrote: August 14th, 2019, 4:15 pm @richryan1507 - Don't have time to watch the whole fan edit at the moment, but what I did see.. wow. The movie would have been so much better with your edits! How did the real editing floor leave so much crap in? With your edits I actually laughed a few times (more than the once I did watching the real movie).
As much as I'd like to take credit, I didn't make this. I was just posting it for others to watch who feel the same way about the movie as I do. The only thing that this left in that they could have still cut out was the dance scene, but you can't win em all. The over the top battle in the 3rd act was a bit too much for me as well, but if they cut that, they wouldn't have an end to the movie, sooo yeah.

Like I said before, at least this edit makes it watchable and takes care of a lot of the major problems.
By tylergfoster
I have had a fan edit of Ghostbusters (2016) rattling around in my head since the movie came out on video, I just don't have the means to put it together. Wouldn't shock me if mine had some passages that were identical to some of the others on here, although I did have a semi-ambitious idea about using a combination of footage and illustrations to create at least one scene that doesn't exist at all.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
Do you have to login or register to see this edit? I am on the link shown above but in the video section it says "Sorry Video does not exist"

Maybe it will not play in my country? (Canada)
By RichRyan1507
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: July 29th, 2021, 1:28 pm Do you have to login or register to see this edit? I am on the link shown above but in the video section it says "Sorry Video does not exist"

Maybe it will not play in my country? (Canada)
Unfortunately, it looks that way here in the states as well. It seems to have been removed. Maybe Sony is getting back on their horse and trying to get stuff taken down again since there's a new GB film coming out.
By tylergfoster
Perhaps I am envisioning finer or more detailed edits for my recut than others, but for those who watched this other edit, how much of a problem did background music pose? That is the biggest thing that concerns me. Since we aren't using the original separated elements, you're kind of stuck with whatever was laid into a scene in the finished cut, even if isolated "clean" versions of the music presumably exist on the score CD.
By rezwalker
DarkSpectre wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:25 am Which one? The one on Fanedits.org has been removed. I have mine still.
Pm me your movie plz
i would like to watch it

Thx !
By Wiggyof9
Anybody have a link to the original movie that was first linked in this thread? I had it downloaded and have no idea what happened to it and would like to watch it again.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]