By H20
Wow, Cannon Sports charges THIRTY-NINE dollars for shipping on those pads to Hawaii through their standard shipping, and they're in California. I hate anyplace that gauges the 49th and 50th states. Also, Century Martial Arts doesn't even sell to Hawaii for some odd reason. I ordered from Karate Depot, they seem to get it, about 10 bucks for priority shipping, seems about right.
By H20
Wow that's a good deal, thanks!. If I somehow screw up the color on the first one I pick up another pair from there. Then again I may be leaving them white on the black suit I ordered.
By Gareee
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

abntroop wrote:Naa, no pm, here's the info again for all those too lazy to do some sleuthing around this site and these boards.
http://myworld.ebay.com/typj?ssPageName ... EM:US:1181
Just emailed the seller, and got two pairs shipped for like $33! and they arrived priority mail in just 2 days, and I'm VERY pleased with the service!

I actually just picked up my rit dye as well today...I'm going to try the boiling water pan on stove method instead of using th washing machine though. I'm going to use the same method as the instructions on the powdered rit dye package.

Wish me luck!
By Gareee
kind2311 wrote:
abntroop wrote:but if you pm that eBay seller, he still has some larges left. I just bought and received a pair
they still have large white pads? pics?
I just got two pairs today from her.. ;)
By jt001
Count me in, too!

I decided to email Lauren (ebay seller) about Defender pads in large, white color. She told me that she had one pair left (it was not posted on ebay). She sent me a paypal invoice and the deal was closed. :)

H20: Cannon sports also wanted to charge me quite a lot for shipping to Puerto Rico. Most people doesn't know, but since PR is a US Commonwealth, shipping to PR costs, most of the time, the same as shipping inside the continental US. I also went to karatesupply.com. Although PR appeared in their shipping prices database, I couldn't find PR in the drop down list. I wrote them an email about 2 or 3 days ago, but a reply has not been received, yet.

Thanks for the suggestion on emailing the ebay seller for the Defender pads! :) Once they arrive, I'll dye them along with my belt. I'll finally be able to take my suit and have the patches sewn!
By Gareee
Could be they come in and out of stock.

I dyed them with 1/4 cup rit black liquid dye, 1/4 cup salt, and half a soup kettle of water. I dyed them in pairs, first one set, then the other.

I hung them each on a rod over a plastic trash can with a plastic bag in it to catch drippings.

After an hour, I rinsed them in the sink with lukewarm water, wrung them out, and just put them in the dryer with a bunch of other black clothing, to help keep the dryer clean.

One set had slightly darker elastic straps then the other, but both looked pretty acceptable. Hard to twell till I see them dry.

I kept the dye bath, in case they need a re dunking. if so, I'll add another 1/8 cup of dye first, bring it almost to a boil, and then redye them to darken them, but from the pics, it doesn;t look like they should be too dark to my eyes.

Oh.. to people altering them... leave about 3/4" to 1" when you trim them extra.. its easier to hem them that way. Also make sure you test fit them as you go along, because you don't want the hem restricting how tight they are.

I DO agree with others.. even the large are snug, and I might end up using the 2 liter bottle stretch method on mine.. they might be fine for the wife.
By Gareee
Just took em out of the dryer.. I'll take pics tomorrow. They are a tad lighter then I anticipated at first, but I think I'm happy with them as is.. might darken the grooves on the pads, but thats it.
By Gareee
Here is the promised dyed pic. My wife's set came out darker then my set, but both are acceptable, IMHO.

I am going to also darken the grooves in the pads as well, probably with watered down acrylic paint and a brush. (Quick and easy.)

By Gareee
The black watered down acrylic paint worked perfectly to make the grooves darker. I did it in two applications, the first down the grooves with a pretty wide brush, daubing it down the grooves. Then I just took my thumb, and rubbed edges of the paint to blend it into the pads. Since they are absorbant, creating those blends were very easy.

Once dried in the dryer, I then used a thinner brush, and did a second coat right along the groove inner, to darken the inmost part of the grooves more.

I didn't want the grooves really dark, but did want them dark enough to add a little more dimension to them.

I've got them on 2 liter soda bottole now to stretch them out more. I'll post an updated pic tomorrow.
By Gareee

I'm not quite sure I darkened the grooves enough...what do you guys think? Also, should the edges be darkened as well?
By Gareee
Must be because our names are spelled so much alike, eh? LOL!

Oh! And another tip in making these...for tyhe black patches on the elastic straps, just sew on a rectangle of stretchy material... and you can use something I know all you guys will have.

Just cut the black swatches from an old black T shirt! ;)
By jt001
kind2311 wrote:hmmm, either she lied to me or she was mistaken. I have emailed twice about large white pads to no avail . . . .very odd
Sorry to hear that man. She said it was the only pair left. It is very possible that she receives them randomly.

I'll go and pick them up tomorrow. I'll post pics as soon as I get home.

EDIT: Sorry I haven't been able to post pics, yet. I did got my Defender pads and indeed are Large size. I'll take pics tomorrow and post them.
By blacksunuk
neo_virus wrote:
Just some follow up feedback on the eBay auction for the ones I found in the UK. To me they seem like a rebranded version of the 'Martins'. The logo was absolutly impossible to remove and whilst trying to pick it apart with a small blade it started to pick out the stitching leaving holes. So the 'bulbous' side is kinda ruined although if you turn them inside out they are still quite usable with no logos. The only downside to that is you don't quite get the bubble as you would have the other way around.
Unfortunatly the only camera I have is my iPhone one which isn't brilliant, so I can't get any decent pics up.
I spent all last night picking the lettering off one of these pads, i wish I'd have come across this first. I've turned them inside out and although the bubble isn't as prominent i think it will look pretty good, I'll get some pictures up after spraying
By Gareee
My wife's pads are also the large ones, and while snug, she could go maybe one size down at most.

I'd play it safe, and buy medium, personally. Keep in mind you also have a uniform on under them as well, and they can be rather bulky.
By Gareee
They look like the identical material as my pads, but you are going to have the same issue as someone previouslt mentioned.. trying to remove those logos.

See if you can get a set from the ebay person mentioned in this thread.. send her a message.
By kind2311
Ahh yes, tachikara TK Smask pads. I had those up for a while but took them down as many people told me they were way too big to be accurate and also too square-ish. Go with the ones suggested in this thread.
By boybollie
Sorry if this has been posted but I don't have a lot of time to read all 88 replies but if you are looking for something close to the Defender pads check out Sports Authority. Their brand of volleyball kneepads are pretty darn close. Use Rit Dye (Pearl Gray) and you'll have a very close pair of somewhat authentic elbow pads!!
By dv8njoe
I have now placed an order 2x with Cannon Sports for their pads. The first time, they said the order did not come through. So I ordered again and received a message that the order # is 2450 and I was charged $33.88. It also said to expect an email from them for confirmation and another for shipping. So far, yet again no confirmation email. It has been over an hour since ordered.

Has anyone else had problems ordering through this company?
GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]

I'm not familiar with this one (is it a model?) […]

Also somewhat related question...I don't see giz[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dol[…]