By Wharin
i did not. the only error i notice is that when i took the velcro off to put on my name patch, the area under the velcro didnt take as much of the dye, but the alice strap covers it
By Dr.Dion
mburkit, when you said you used 4 pack of color remover... you used 4 pack of 2oz (rit color remover powder boxes) in just enough water to cover the flightsuit?
By mburkit
Dr.Dion wrote:mburkit, when you said you used 4 pack of color remover... you used 4 pack of 2oz (rit color remover powder boxes) in just enough water to cover the flightsuit?

Yeah, but I used them 2 at a time. So I did it once with 2 packs, pulled it out of the bath and did it again.
By Alex Newborn
Here's my attempt at changing a navy tru-spec to GB2 charcoal, following a combination of the methods in this thread.

I feel like it's a bit too dark, but outside in full daylight it looks pretty good.

My patches are currently on the way, so I opted for the Ray-in-the-jacket look from the ghost jogger scene.

Alex
By Alex Newborn

I bought a GB2 patch while placing my order mainly because the guy on Etsy had one that was on sale.

But I've never liked that logo, and the left photo only satisfies me intellectually. The one on the right just FEELS better, it's a symbol that I respond to in my 14-year-old's heart.

Alex
Sutton621 liked this
By Oliver
What kind of bleach should be used when lightening the flightsuit? I've found some oxygen-based laundry bleach powder - would this be appropriate?

Also, how hot should the water be when using with the bleach/colour remover/dye - near boiling?
By xSadisticSmilex
Alright Gents, I have read all the tips and tricks to this flight suit dying experiment and am finally ready to go through with it. Granted I am terrified I might end up losing out on some money here, but heck. Whats the point in living if you never do anything?

My one question here is this. I am actually doing two of these suits. Has any one ever done more than one at a time? If so is it simply doubling the recipe? Should I play it safe and just do them one at a time?

Hey look at that. Was more than just one question.
FunkPunkTwang liked this
By FunkPunkTwang
xSadisticSmilex wrote:Alright Gents, I have read all the tips and tricks to this flight suit dying experiment and am finally ready to go through with it. Granted I am terrified I might end up losing out on some money here, but heck. Whats the point in living if you never do anything?

My one question here is this. I am actually doing two of these suits. Has any one ever done more than one at a time? If so is it simply doubling the recipe? Should I play it safe and just do them one at a time?

I've dyed 8 of these suits, 4 at a time. I highly recomend doing them at the same time to keep the color consistent.
By xSadisticSmilex
FunkPunkTwang wrote:
xSadisticSmilex wrote:Alright Gents, I have read all the tips and tricks to this flight suit dying experiment and am finally ready to go through with it. Granted I am terrified I might end up losing out on some money here, but heck. Whats the point in living if you never do anything?

I've dyed 8 of these suits, 4 at a time. I highly recomend doing them at the same time to keep the color consistent.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. Did you double up on your recipe or just wing it after using the normal suggested amount? Also with the whole close to boiling hot water thing. Did any one experience shrinkage?
By xSadisticSmilex
Peter Venkman1984 wrote:i'm looking at a black tru spec suit....does the dying process vary much for black?
Not from what I have read. There is another dye thread based off the black rothco suits. I am pretty sure it has to be pretty darn close to the same method. Good luck with the black!
By xaviorbat
Got mine coming in soon too, so posting so I can find this easy in my lists. As for the dying process, Between dying it says wash, but not dry, so I assume you go straight from the wash to the dye and don't dry until the very end?
By PssdffJay
I ended up doing a full wash and dry after the bleach because it was super stuff and the smell was getting to me. I have details on my process in my build thread in my signature. What I missed was doing a full wash and dry 3 times before starting to strip. I only washed it once.
By Peterson
So, thinking of giving this process a go....

Here's my Navy Tru-Spec (with a name patch pinned) with flash:

I have a "without flash" pic, but the lighting sucks so bad there's no point in posting it.

The history of this suit so far: I was at first just wanting to see if I could lighten the color a bit. I did a regular wash with it, cool water, detergent (Wisk +Oxi clean). Some color bled out - I mentioned in another thread about my new pinkish-purple undergarments. ;) A few days later I soaked it with some powdered Oxi-Clean in a bucket with near-boiling water for about an hour, more color bled out. A few days after that I stuck it in the machine with more Wisk, some assorted towels I didn't care about messing the color up on, on the hot setting. Quite a bit more color bled out....yet it's hardly any lighter.

Some Qs....

-First and foremost, there's some sulfur in the water here. Don't know if anyone's run into that issue before or not, I just wonder if it could cause problems?

- I just finished paying off my washing machine (and several other appliances), running dye through it is OFF the menu for me! I don't have a laundry sink. I do have a plastic bucket, albeit yellow plastic. It's certainly big enough to cover the suit with water with a bit of room to spare. That should work as far as space goes, right? I read in one thread that a white trashcan/wastebasket might be better to avoid colors from the plastic getting into the mix. Sound about right, or a non-issue?

-The Wash in between the dyes - would a decent wash-by-hand suffice? And hot or cold water? I know cold for the very FINAL wash, but...?

-Seems that when looking around, I came across the feeling, which makes sense to me, that "bleach is bad, mmkay." But I'm having trouble finding a "recipe" that does not call for it. Could I make do with more Rit Color Remover?

-Also seems that the consensus is the liquid dye works faster, and is easier to work with, than the powders. That kinda sucks, but OTOH the only place I've found Rit locally (Ingles), I didn't see any Royal blue powder - just Navy and Denim. They only have Black and Brown in liquid. So if liquid is the best (or only?) way to go for the non-machine method, looks like I'm having to order anyway.

-And on that note, black and royal blue seem to be givens, but kelly green? Purple? Will I just have to hit the suit with the first two and see what happens, and go from there to see what I have to do to correct any issues?

Whew...think that covers it (for now...)
By ImLost3
Kyle, I don't know if you remember me, but it's Bill from the old Ghostbusters International forums days, pleasure seeing you active again. I'm not Dye expert, but I did purchase a suit from lunchbox that he custom dyed using the accepted recipe using the green and purple, and let me tell you after a few washes they look amazing! See:

So if you wanna be perfect, you need those subtle color variations, but On-the-other-hand, during some recent filming, I discovered you can't really tell the difference between my dyed suit, a stock navy blue Tru-spec, and a 5 year-old faded black Rothco suit. So if you not totally awesome at dying, I would do as little as possible to just add a little grey tint to it, so you don't run the risk of tie-dying your uniform...unless you want that, then in that case, as you were.

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]