Well I went backto the drawing board and I think I have hit the mark this time.

Without flash

With flash

I think I have the balance of grey and blue just right.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Name tag is just on the velcro to see how it will look.....
Its really not difficult....its just a pain in the ass and potentially messy. If i can dye 2 batches of suits and get them anywhere in that range of shades....anyone can. Just need a sink and a top load washer for one suit really...maybe a plastic bin to transport it back and forth and patience of course

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
Ok so I am doing the dye job on a new pair of suits tonight and thought it would be a good idea to create a modified version of the Tru Spec dyeing process for High Efficiency Washers.

1.) Wash suit twice with 1 cup of bleach each time, hot/cold cotton cycle and be sure to disable any electronic temperature control to get the highest temperature possible. Machine Dry with a Fabric Softener sheet both times. (MODIFIED STEP)

2.) Wash again, hot/cold cotton cycle, with 2 cups bleach. Again make sure to disable any electronic temperature control to get the highest temperature possible. Do not dry.(At this point the flight suit will be a gnarly shade of brown) (MODIFIED STEP)

3.) Using a large tub or sink wash, suit with 2 packets RIT color remover with Hot water. Put the suit into washing machine on a Rinse and Spin Cycle. Machine Dry with a Fabric Softener sheet. (The RIT color remover will leave the flight suit a semi patchy grey. This step is one of the most important as the cotton fibers will literally almost be white while the poly fibers will remain a grey close to what we want. I’d be willing to bet real money that step one here can be removed as step 2 will be with 2 cups of bleach which will beat the shit out of the fabric enough to take dye. Once you wash it again with the color remover the base grey it will be should be perfect) (MODIFIED STEP)

4.) Dye with 1 cup (237 mL) Royal Blue liquid RIT, 1/4 cup (59 mL) Kelly Green liquid RIT, and 1 cup of salt in a sink full of hot water for 15 minutes. Make sure to agitate it frequently and don’t let air bubbles in the flight suit just sit. Push them down, move the suit around to keep the color consistent

5.) Pull out, rinse until the water runs clear. (I recommend using your washing machine for this as hand wringing out dye is a pain in the ass in your sink. Use a plastic bin to transport it from sink to washer to avoid blue dye all over your house)

6.) Add a little more hot water to the dye bath, and let the suit soak for another 15 minutes.

7.) Pull out, Rinse well until the water runs clear. (or run it through the rinse cycle in your washing machine)

8.) Wash again with light detergent cold cycle

9.) Machine Dry with fabric softener

Beyond the 3rd step the process remains unchanged. I hope this helps anyone out there.

EDIT TO ADD

Make sure to wash that suit normally then inside out. I came home from a Con this weekend and from my elbow to my fingers I had a Blu tint to my skin. My GF freaked, she thought I was having heart problems.
TheRockman, Ejgunth87 liked this
ProtonCharger wrote:
eyesadrift wrote:Dyed one myself with a cockpit usa shrunk like crazy thou.
elaborate.
done with a black cwu-26p cockpit usa they are 100% cotton'
done mostly by jairus recipe
turned out more blue then i wanted

one cup bleach fabric softener (2 times washer poured in hot water from the tap since my washer doesnt have a hot setting)
dried with fabric sheet
two cups bleach
dried with fabric sheet
4 packets rite dye remover in the washer again ( got a nice piss yellow color)
dyed with 1/8 cup rite kelly green cup of salt 15 mins
rung out
1/2 cup royal blue and 1/8 kelly green 15 mins
rung out then another 15 mins

flash

no flash
lunchbox739 wrote:I believe jarius did his recipe specifically for the tru spec 65/35 poly cotton blend suits
he did i just did about half rough guesses
im just gonna keep working on it till i get it about right
any suggestions?
its kinda a teal dark blue
ProtonCharger wrote:So get a 38R if I'm a 36R? I am aware of their sizing just not how much it shrinks.
I would almost suggest 2 sizes (40r)bigger if your gonna dye one with a cockpit I'm 5"8 and after I dyed it got amlost too short it mostly shrinks in the arms and legs
If you have a dark teal blue.. you might be able to try running it through a wash cycle with 2 packets of rit color remover...and then dry it and see where you stand.
It will either be a lighter grey or a funky blue/ purple....if it turns out light grey you could probably darken it with the royal blue/ Kelly green dye bath....
All the suits I've dyed so far began with the 65/35 poly cotton black tru specs so its safe to say something that is 100% cotton will probably react different to dye so I can't be 100% sure about my suggestion though....

As for the shrinking.....hot water cycles with cotton garments bud.....the shit is gonna shrink unless the garment is actually marked as "per shrunk"....which basically means that they washed the fabric it was made from before they started making it
lunchbox739 wrote:If you have a dark teal blue.. you might be able to try running it through a wash cycle with 2 packets of rit color remover...and then dry it and see where you stand.
It will either be a lighter grey or a funky blue/ purple....if it turns out light grey you could probably darken it with the royal blue/ Kelly green dye bath....
All the suits I've dyed so far began with the 65/35 poly cotton black tru specs so its safe to say something that is 100% cotton will probably react different to dye so I can't be 100% sure about my suggestion though....

As for the shrinking.....hot water cycles with cotton garments bud.....the shit is gonna shrink unless the garment is actually marked as "per shrunk"....which basically means that they washed the fabric it was made from before they started making it
thanks i was thinking of running it thru the wash a few times with cold water. would be careful with color remover seems to really pull out the dye with hot water(what would you suggest for the temp control)

im honestly thinking i should go with azspiders recipe, my suit is close but needs to feel darker
What works better dyeing a tan flight suit to the right shade of grey or stripping out the color of the black suit? I've done a little bit of dye work namely taking a tan raincoat and making it the Browncoat for my Captain Reynolds costume. I would be using the Rothco suit. Just wondering.
Anyone have any experience dying the Dickies dresses that are 93% cotton? I am talking about the black to the grey. My wife has one and I want to try to get it to the right shade for her as best I can without ruining it since they are harder to come by in her size these days.
Took a stab at this last night, followed the washer recipe but I rushed it and didn't get enough color out and ended up with a brownish-purple hue. I went through the process again, boiling two pots of water on the stove, adding them to the wash with a bottle of blue dye, a splash of green and a cup of salt. I let it soak for 45~ minutes and then let the washer go through it's cycle. After a wash with regular detergent there is still a hint of purple in the grey, but the color is pretty close.

Here is the bad news.....

This is a poly/cotton blend tru spec sized XL Long. After all of this, I tried the suit on and the sleeves shrunk up! So, it doesn't fit proper at all but I have odd measurements that don't usually fit standard sizing charts. Fortunately, my khaki tru spec in XL Regular fits normally, but I've only ever washed it on cold, air dry.
When I did 6 of these for our group, I told everyone to tell me the size of suit they would normally wear, then I got 1 size up for all the suits. For example, I would wear an XL, so I got myself an XXL. Its a little baggy, but good baggy. Unfortunately, they only have regular and long, and I wear long for length. An extra long would have been great, but thats ok.
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]