For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
I brought this up before on another forum, but I'd to elaborate more.

No matter what role he played, Lorenzo Music just somehow made it his own--even though it always sounded exactly the same; it was his role, & he was meant to do it.

When Music's Venkman was a jack@$$ to someone, you still sympathized with him because he had a certain humaneness in him; you may not have agreed with his decision, but understood where he was coming from because he put so much depth into the role.

I know people say that Coulier was brought on to sound like Bill Murray, but the big problem with that is even Murray had that humility to the role which made his Venkman really likable.

The only thing Dave Coulier brought to the role was sorta kinda sounding like Bill Murray. He didn't have the heart in it, sounded like a parody of a California surfer, & when his Venkman was being a jack@$$ it was just that; you couldn't even sympathize with it.

Dave Coulier almost sounded like a kid-ified version of Venkman. He was just....terrible...as Venkman.

I think even the Nostalgia Critic said it best: "man of 1,000 voices..and absolutely none of them accurate!"

I remember while watching the interviews on the RGB DVD set, Kath Soucie mentioned that while waiting for his cues, Dave Coulier would be in the back of the room entertaining himself with his cheezy little voices....

to which I must then comment "well, ya might as well entertain someone with 'em, even if it's only yourself!"
vgirl, NSGhostbusters liked this
LordVigo82 wrote:I brought this up before on another forum, but I'd to elaborate more.

No matter what role he played, Lorenzo Music just somehow made it his own--even though it always sounded exactly the same; it was his role, & he was meant to do it.

When Music's Venkman was a jack@$$ to someone, you still sympathized with him because he had a certain humaneness in him; you may not have agreed with his decision, but understood where he was coming from because he put so much depth into the role.

I know people say that Coulier was brought on to sound like Bill Murray, but the big problem with that is even Murray had that humility to the role which made his Venkman really likable.

The only thing Dave Coulier brought to the role was sorta kinda sounding like Bill Murray. He didn't have the heart in it, sounded like a parody of a California surfer, & when his Venkman was being a jack@$$ it was just that; you couldn't even sympathize with it.

Dave Coulier almost sounded like a kid-ified version of Venkman. He was just....terrible...as Venkman.

I think even the Nostalgia Critic said it best: "man of 1,000 voices..and absolutely none of them accurate!"

I remember while watching the interviews on the RGB DVD set, Kath Soucie mentioned that while waiting for his cues, Dave Coulier would be in the back of the room entertaining himself with his cheezy little voices....

to which I must then comment "well, ya might as well entertain someone with 'em, even if it's only yourself!"
Yeah well said,music was the perfect Venkman......i don't hate dave but he was no Venkman :cool::cool::cool:
vgirl liked this
Dr.D wrote:Not sure who said it, but the best explanation I've ever heard was this

"Coulier was a good Bill Murray, Music was a great Venkman"
that's the thing though: Coulier wasn't even a good Bill Murray; he kinda sorta had the sound, but not the heart to it; sounded sorta like a parody of a California surfer more than anything.
Croker, NSGhostbusters liked this
Dr.D wrote:Not sure who said it, but the best explanation I've ever heard was this

"Coulier was a good Bill Murray, Music was a great Venkman"
*claps*

That's the way I've always seen it. I mean, I like Coulier and it seemed like he tried, but Music had Venkman's personality down, while Coulier kinda, sorta sounded like Bill Murray. The most irritated thing was him calling Slimer "Spud" all the time, along with the way he treated.
ironfist wrote:This is the same Guy who voice Garfeild, right?
I'm hoping that's a joke; Garfield was done by the talented voice of Venkman...i.e. Lorenzo Music.

Dave Coulier was Uncle Joey on Full House, as well as the voice of several Muppet Babies.
ironfist wrote:Sorry, No joke. Please remember I'm 40 so I didn't have time to see a lot of the cartoon. Maybe 20 episodes and that's guessing high. I do want to buy the super box set so I can watch them all with my kids'. When did uncle Jessie take over the voice on show? And how in gods name did he get in alanis morrsettes pants????????
Uncle Jesse was played by the ever-so-annoying John Stamos; Uncle Joey was Dave Coulier.

Dave Coulier took over starting in 1988, and continued on 'til the end.
By CJay
This reminds me of the fact that Frank Welker is now the current voice of Garfield for the new series. Someone once said that he sounds like a depressed Ray or Fred Jones. That being said, it's pretty tough that they'd ever find ANYONE as good as Lorenzo Music in any capacity. If they ever brought back Gummi Bears, they'd have to drop Tug Gummi because it just wouldn't be the same. Music was a great character actor, meaning he didn't have to be a carbon copy, he could give personality and voice to characters that otherwise wouldn't have any. Mel Blanc was like this too, and to a certain degree so is Billy West.

Coulier was doing a job and was paid for it. While it wasn't good, I can only imagine that if he hadn't, the series would have been cancelled after '88 and that would have been it.
Fritz wrote:And of course, this is one more thing Ghostheads can blame on Bill Murray's massive ego, too.

Ergo:
Then mid-way through production Bill was having lunch with Ivan Reitman and said how much he liked the show and said "why doesn't he sound like me?"
I will never understand Bill Murray; he wants the character to sound like him, but it took him forever to sign off on an action figure of himself.....and then has issues with doing a Ghostbusters sequel.

so...does he like the franchise, does he not..what's goin' on with that, exactly?
For the sequel stuff, Bill Murray just isn't too interested in sequels. GB2 was a comeback film of sorts since he hadn't acted in several years, and even then he's always said he wasn't keen on the project since.

I think Bill does have a certain reverance for the original film, of that much is certain, and for the franchise. Maybe not as much as Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis or Ernie Hudson, but he does have a soft spot for the film since it represents an era in his career where he was probably the funniest man in America.
CJay wrote:For the sequel stuff, Bill Murray just isn't too interested in sequels. GB2 was a comeback film of sorts since he hadn't acted in several years, and even then he's always said he wasn't keen on the project since.

I think Bill does have a certain reverance for the original film, of that much is certain, and for the franchise. Maybe not as much as Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis or Ernie Hudson, but he does have a soft spot for the film since it represents an era in his career where he was probably the funniest man in America.
then I must once again ask why it took so long for him to sign off on an action figure.
Other people might know, but I'm willing to believe that it was a combination of timing, the money being good, and actually approving a sculpt he liked. I don't know the full details of why NECA was unable to get the likenesses, but because of the fact that the franchise is split into fourths, between Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Ivan Reitman, if all four aren't on-board nothing's gonna happen and I suppose Murray wasn't thrilled at the time with how concept art for his sculpt was looking.
CJay wrote:Other people might know, but I'm willing to believe that it was a combination of timing, the money being good, and actually approving a sculpt he liked. I don't know the full details of why NECA was unable to get the likenesses, but because of the fact that the franchise is split into fourths, between Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Ivan Reitman, if all four aren't on-board nothing's gonna happen and I suppose Murray wasn't thrilled at the time with how concept art for his sculpt was looking.
I did hear he's currently going thru divorce proceedings, and might've been a bit more willing to take the money in that case since he's probably forking over tons in alimony and whatnot.
ChexGuy331 wrote:I preferred Lorenzo Music as well.

I also preferred Arensio Hall as Winston...anyone agree?

I do, & at the same time, I also thought the transition to Buster Jones sounded like an older, more experienced Winston; weird, right?
I find myself wholly uninterested in all but the earliest episodes of the series, and I think Lorenzo Music leaving is part of that.
wow, I only just started going through RGB for the first time since it originally aired.. I think I must have slowly stopped watching right at the start of season 3 and totally stopped shortly into season 4 because after the FlipSide episode I none of them sound familliar..

I can understand why, also; as soon as Peter's voice changes, it went from being a good, slightly edgy show (I really can't believe how creepy/spooky some of the ghosts/episodes are!) to something that's just kiddy-fodder.. Overnight, Peter and Slimer are the best of friends, Egon becomes clumsy and absent-minded.. It really doesn't feel like the same show anymore..
Screwhead wrote:wow, I only just started going through RGB for the first time since it originally aired.. I think I must have slowly stopped watching right at the start of season 3 and totally stopped shortly into season 4 because after the FlipSide episode I none of them sound familliar..

I can understand why, also; as soon as Peter's voice changes, it went from being a good, slightly edgy show (I really can't believe how creepy/spooky some of the ghosts/episodes are!) to something that's just kiddy-fodder.. Overnight, Peter and Slimer are the best of friends, Egon becomes clumsy and absent-minded.. It really doesn't feel like the same show anymore..
Huh? How did Egon become "clumsy" and "absent-minded"?
Screwhead wrote:wow, I only just started going through RGB for the first time since it originally aired.. I think I must have slowly stopped watching right at the start of season 3 and totally stopped shortly into season 4 because after the FlipSide episode I none of them sound familliar..

Thank goodness for network executives and "advisors", right? It's their job to save us from the chance of watching good shows, and they did their job well in this case. Venkman and Janine lobotomized, Slimer as the star, watered down plots; who needs all that "edgy" and "creepy/spooky" stuff that might actually be...(gasp)...good!!!
:cool:--Sarcasm, for those who didn't detect it on their own.
The Joker wrote:

Huh? How did Egon become "clumsy" and "absent-minded"?
wow, total spelling fail in that first part.. in my defense I just woke up!

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but Egon doesn't seem to be written the same.. I don't know if I'd be able to pick out anything in particular.. it's not a major change, and fairly subtle, but, IMO at least, he just comes off that way now..
[

he always kind of seemed that way to me; that's the stereotype of the nerdy scientist. If you need proof, check out the episode Bustman's Holiday.

Ray faints when he hears he's inheriting the castle, and Janine brings Egon a cup of water to splash on Ray...and Egon drinks it thinking it's for him.

I don't think it was so much that he became that way, more likely it just wasn't as subtle and intelligently written in there for him as time went by.
LordVigo82 wrote:
ChexGuy331 wrote:I preferred Lorenzo Music as well.

I also preferred Arensio Hall as Winston...anyone agree?

I do, & at the same time, I also thought the transition to Buster Jones sounded like an older, more experienced Winston; weird, right?
I didn't mind the transition from Hall to Buster as much as the Lorenzo to Coulier change. Buster's voice was much deeper, and some was closer, to Ernie Hudson's voice; I liked them both equally.
LordVigo82 wrote:I don't think it was so much that he became that way, more likely it just wasn't as subtle and intelligently written in there for him as time went by.
That's what it seems like to me; as the show became more 'kid-friendly' (what, it wasn't before?) the humor got less subtle.

I showed 3 episodes of early RGB and 3 of later RGB to a friend's grandsons (4 and 6) and both of them preferred Music's Venkman and the earlier plots...the older boy said Music sounded "more fun".

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]