For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
Hello all, I recently acquired a completely empty RGB Data East 3-player cabinet that I'm going to restore to its former GB glory. I haven't gotten much further than completely stripping the cabinet down to wood... but I'll continually add to this post as I make some considerable progress...or whenever I feel like it.
Here is the cabinet as I received it, minus the monitor. As you can see, it was converted into a Simpsons at some point during its life, which is odd as the Simpsons is generally a 4-player game.

After removing the leaf spring buttons, I peeled off some sort of vinyl control panel overlay and discovered remnants of the original artwork underneath! I don't know if it's salvageable or not, but I'm going to attempt to work on this in the near future.

A closer look at the no-ghost. I'm not sure if it's just what's left, or if the art is truly still under the paint they used. Guess I'll find out.

I can make out the text for "BEAM" "SHOOT" and "START" as well as the silhouettes of the 'busters. If I can't restore the art, I know the font used for the text is Serif Gothic Heavy, and I'll use a vinyl cutter to reproduce all of this. I'll probably use one of the GB stickers that were recently available in stores as the center no-ghost if I cannot save what's there.

Video:
https://youtu.be/H-wlr2jXsA0

More as I make progress!
It's for sure an RGB cabinet.

1. That's a Data East cabinet. Simpsons was Konami.

2. Data East only used that particular cabinet on two games that I know of, RBG and a game called Vigilante. It's not a Vigilante though because that control panel is unique to RGB as far as I know. It's three player (Vigilante is two) and you can see the old GB logo on there and the words "Beam" and "Shoot".

3. There are very few three player arcade games. RGB is one of them. You can tell from the control panel and the coin mechs that this was originally a three player game. I believe Simpsons was only a four player game. The two player version was a kit. They'd send you the artwork, the game board, some controls, and you'd slap it inside a game that's not earning any more which is exactly what this operator did. RGB stopped earning so he put Simpsons in it's place via a game kit instead of buying the whole cabinet.

Side art was printed today...

Had to cut it out by hand, but turned out okay.

I've opted for an IPAC + Raspberry Pi solution, as working 3-player boards are both expensive and hard to come by.

I've also opted to go the LCD route, since we'll be hauling this to our booth at future events.

More updates to come.
Kingpin liked this
I provided the art that I had custom made a few years ago when I was doing a restoration. The side art has never been reproduced so I hired a graphic designer to recreate it from photos on the web and dimensions from another GBFans member. I ended up getting another RGB machine that has art that's in great shape so I'm going to scan that in eventually for a true 1:1 version.

The arcade is looking great sirphobos! Can't wait to see the rest!
Kingpin, tvaught82, Peet1 and 1 others liked this
^---- Yup, then I sent the files to my dad, who happens to work at a print shop. He got it printed on what's called PSV and then laminated for durability. Another fellow GB is re-drawing the control panel art for me, and then I'll have that printed as well.
@ pferreira1983 Also New Ghostbusters II for the European and Japanese NES is pretty fun from the gameplay videos on YouTube that I have seen. The Ghostbusters II game for Gameboy is pretty fun as well.

Getting back to the topic at hand, the cabinet looks amazing. @sirphobos you have done great job with all of the work you have done so far.
pferreira1983 liked this
Here's the final post on this project. Happy to say, it is complete!

I had some help in this video, play-testing the controls to make sure they all functioned properly.

Thank you all for following along with the updates.

Extra special thanks to these folks for their help:
Thanks to below_radar_00 for the sideart files and reference photos.
Thanks to Circle City GB member Jacob for the control panel overlay art.
Thanks to arcadeartwork.org for the monitor bezel art.
Thanks to arcademarquee.com for the marquee art.

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]