By Crix
Cyland Props wrote:Ok it took me a while to dig out the box info:

The boxes are made by Serpac and repacked and sold under the name BUD, mine are both BUD:

Smaller left one is BUD PN# PS-11521-G . Measures 3.62" X 2.25" X 1.01"

The lights are Linrose / Chicago Miniture like on the trap but the green one has a round top lens.

And larger right one is BUD PN# PBS-11327-G Measures 5.62" X 3.25" X 1.5"

The light on this one matches the one on the gun and is an Arcolectric piece:
Awesome info!

Any idea what model parts are on the project boxes?

The more pictures you post, the more intimidating this build really seems!
dangit....now I need a slime blower
Ok, I found the model kit info:

Tamiya 1/35th Kampfpanzer Leopard kit # MM-164A .

The parts break down to:

The tanks are 4" , 5" and 9 1/2" .

The 4" tank is 19 3/4" tall.
The 5" tank is 17 3/4" tall.
The 9 1/2" tank is 36" tall.

To be honest with you the build isn't that intimidating, it just involves several parts stuck together, the three tanks, two pump boxes and a ball. Throw in lights, the two boxes and some fittings and you're there. It's getting there that takes the time, figuring how the thing goes together and finding found parts.

In my photos the pack is missing a support that runs from the upper aluminum support to the bottom of the alice pack frame. The tank support member, the 4" wide aluminum, is just bolted on so I can get to the back of it to pop rivet the main tank on. As soon as I do that, it will be pop riveted on.

Here's another tidbit, between the two packs there really is not a whole lot of difference except for the left power supply / ball support is mounted more squarely on one of the frames. Both packs were worn by Dan and Erine so there is no "this was Dan's pack" or "this was Erine's pack". The guns are slightly different as well.
By Kingpin
Patch up job for a damaged section? We've seen how badly the props in the first film got beat up as production went along.

Awesome update, Brent... I wouldn't have had the patience to track down the exact tank kit they used. Is it one still in production today?
Yeah none of my shops around here had it so it was E-bay, I think I dropped $20 on the kit.

I'll be posting not so much of plans but of photos with measurements and a list of parts. My plans are full size and don't really photograph well but if you follow my photos you should be able to build a very good replica.
By shodanmark
noslliT wrote:Awesome info Brent. Slimeblowers are a very neglected piece of equipment
Indeed. This thread has inspired me to finally start my own. I've just ordered my first part, the Tank kit!

Interesting to see what you do with the vest.
hooker wrote:Excellent info Cyland. Thank you for sharing the model #'s and such.

One off question....would the model tank kit happen to contain any of the oodball bits from the giga? i.e. the tank tread possibly?

No, the Giga-meter was built as a rental prop by people who contracted Modern Props to rent them, I'm still researching it's history. It's kind of strange that such a neat rental prop has so far only shown up in two films and one commercial. The makers were kind of contract "renters" and from what I gathered over the years the props didn't stay at Moden Props because they took them home and they were brought in when needed.

I didn't recognize any of the other parts in the kit.
hooker wrote:Now that you mention Modern props I do remember that is was a rental item like the PKE. Thanks.

It must have been common practice to glue on some form of model kit piece while making props back in the day.
Still is.

Both the PKE and the Giga-meter have one model part, the switch on the PKE and the tank tread on the Giga, some of the other props had much more. It was just a way to add more interesting detail to a prop, set piece or model without having to make that detail.
Let's get this thread back to the subject with some more pictures!

This is the tanks and ball, I potted some lock nuts in the Plastruct domes so I could attach the lights to the tanks and the ball to the mount. Simple way to drill a hole dead center of the dome, drill a pilot hole right through the center of the injection nipple.

The ball assembled and glued together along with the pump boxes minus the heatsinks.

The pump box, ball and mounting plate off the pack. This plate is probably the hardest piece to make. Made from 1/8" plate aluminum you need to make a perfect 90 degree bend in it. I had to beef up my combo bender machine's bending die to make the bend and it took several pulls to get it. Bottom line you might need a metal shop to make it for you.
By d_osborn
great job so far! from what i can see on my reference shots, it looks like you might be using an incorrect tank tread for the white box. close, but no cigar.

...and speaking of cigars, you might want to start shopping around for a bit fat one to go along with the blower.
the tank tread is correct. i spent all afternoon helping someone looking for it.

it's either that or a german leopard medium tank, both are have similar tank treads from the same model company, tamiya.
By d_osborn
i'll be the first to admit that i could be wrong, but the detail shot i have of the tank tread looks slightly different. the pic is probably 3-4 years old, from one of the original slime blowers at the sony prop warehouse. i don't have a problem posting it, but i don't want to step on any toes.

what's the forum etiquette for posting watermarked images? does the watermark serve as sort of a citation or reference, or is it generally frowned upon without permission?
noslliT wrote:hardcore. this build is going fast

I wish, it's taken months of weekends to get to this point.
AJ Quick wrote:You certainly don't want this thing to be light weight... do you?

That's some heavy metal! Looks great!
Funny the quick connects, elbows, short nipples and barbed nipples weigh as much if not more than the rest of the pack.
I made the forward grip for the gun yesterday and I worked on the endcap today. The forward grip frame is bent from 1 /12" steel, the original was welded. The end cap is a aluminum cup from Walmart that is the perfect size and I made the collar today and welded it on using those aluminum rods that you can use with a propane torch. The weld is a little sloppy but it holds like the dickens and won't be seen:

By Kingpin
Brent... outstanding!

d_osborn wrote:what's the forum etiquette for posting watermarked images? does the watermark serve as sort of a citation or reference, or is it generally frowned upon without permission?
I don't believe there's really been any etiquette for watermarked images.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]