By troberts289
3 months ago I made a hanger for my proton pack for the living room

And now I've been looking at that empty set of hooks evvveryyy day. I wanted to start posting details of this build; because.....come on guys. We need more slime blowers.

My work so far has been focused mostly on the zooka. I cut a 4 1/2 inch pipe in half free hand with the grinder, faced it on the mill, and inlaid flats for the hinge on the table saw.
By troberts289
And that brings us to the nozzle.... I wanted it to be metal just like the body of the zooka. My first though was to roll a cone, hire a friend who does aviation welding do the seams for me, and then turn it, but I wasn't happy with the results I was getting. The only roller I have access to is a hand crank unit, and it just wasn't beefy enough.

So....

This is the biggest thing I've every tried to do on my beautiful, old as dirt, South Bend.

Thank goodness for audio books, because this is taking forever. First step was to turn something that will actually fit in my chuck.

Then I stared hogging out the inside. Its a ways off, but eventually it will have a 4 /12 ID to fit on the zooka body
By troberts289

Makin progress. This rotary head was a gift from a friend that was moving hi shop. First time I got to break it out.

Also, I saw this morning that one of this original blowers was put on display at Sony for Ghostbusters day. reeeaalllly hoping a shutter bug posts picks soon. I'll be your friend forever.
By troberts289

If anyone out there is looking at this and thinking about copying my techniques, be forewarned, that last little bit at the base of the cone is a real b-

-Babylonian god.

I had this wood buck left over from my first attempt to roll the part. I cut it off at the wood lathe and used it to hold the cone the other way
Last edited by troberts289 on June 14th, 2022, 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By troberts289
...Just pokin around at a few house keeping items.... first of all there's those darn pump boxes...

My first thought was these files by topherprints on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3770246

Size seems a little off, I wonder if it was made with smaller quick disconnects in mind.

topherprints' box is on the left. My first attempt is on the right. I stretched the box out a bit so the hardware would fit better.

I modeled my boxes mainly looking at the boxes on gEkX's Slime Time build thread; But the more screen used picks I look at the more I wonder if the real boxes were made out of something thinner.

My first dry fit needs a little TLC:

My main tank is right up against the aluminum plate on the right side, and I've got about 3/4 of an inch of overhang to contend with. I might resize my box, or use some washers to spread out the two aluminum beckets on either side of the ALICE, or maybe a little bit of both.
Last edited by troberts289 on June 16th, 2022, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By troberts289
My first dry fit on the main tank went much better.

The main tank. you know, that big pain in the butt thing that makes you hesitate every time you think about a slime blower build? My thoughts were: I wanted to go with a 9 1/2 diameter like JANDERSON392 calls for in his plans, (which is a tall order at the pluming supply store), and I waned something that could really take a knock. I think we all know the pain of that dead silence that falls over a Halloween party when the guy with the most elaborate costume breaks something.

so far I've printed half in Petg, one dome and one wall section. Now I just have to print them again.

To keep the filament use down to only modestly crazy I modeled flats on the inside. I will glue wooden slats and empty filament rolls with expanding foam on the inside:

At first I thought I might have to put a concave radius on the slats by running them diagonally through the table saw, but with this soft pine and expanding foam I think I'm going to get away with just resawing them down to 11/16 flat.
By troberts289
I've see guys just do the plumbing, so they don't have to mess around with as many brackets in the inside. I didn't.

....not sure which way is less work.

It amazing me how many people ask what this thing is going to shoot. my standard response, "Why, do you want your sofa ruined?"
prodestrian liked this
By troberts289
I read about a new finishing technique for 3d printed parts; you mix air cure bondo putty with acetone an spray in on. Preferably with a $16 harbor freight junker spray gun.

This is the first part I tried it on, and it worked a treat.

Only downside is I can't seem to find the air cure stuff in big bulk cans like you can with the 2 part.
wralex liked this
By troberts289
Ask me in a year or so. I've been slowly printing Dalek parts whenever I don't have something else going on in the machine.

I have the shoulders, dome, and half of the neck done.

Lot of Dalek left to go.
Kingpin liked this
By troberts289
Glued the main tank together today, and I had my official photographer on hand to document the process

I decided to install the mounting bolds ahead of time. That way I'm sure they're anchored right in the middle of a slat

If you try this at home: TAKE THE TIME TO BUILD A JIG.

It turned out a little heavy, but my primary objective was met: It's bullet proof. I've dropped it once on the garage floor already.

Bonus: I had a half a can of spray foam left over to shoot with a shot gun. You know, so it didn't end up wasted.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]