This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Fienen
So I think I'm gonna roll with Quentin's models to 3D print a gizmo (https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/ ... ghter-bard).

What I'm wondering about are the nixies, though. I don't want to 3D print those, I'd rather have something that looks a little more close to real. I'm not necessarily concerned with anything being functional (I'm not even sure you ever even see any lights or anything on the gizmo in the movie anyway). Anyone have a good suggestion on a reasonable facsimile, or option for crafting something that looks pretty right?
By Fienen
Awesome, thanks. Getting some tubing and cutting it down was definitely something on the radar. That's pretty easy to fake some detail with by printing some inserts and adding a little heat shrink to finish it off.

I was also looking at VFD tubes. Pretty close look, only a buck each - https://tubes-store.com/product_info.ph ... ht9bgf4ap2. I want to research the size on them though. A little extra work and I could maybe even make them light up.

Nighty80, Kingpin liked this
By tobycj
You can get Nixies fairly cheap on eBay if you did want the real things! Otherwise, like Kingpin has said, cut up pens or test tubes (cheap on Amazon!) work well. I've used VFD tubes from an old calculator on mine, rather than Nixies as it was even cheaper versus buying Nixies, and they look pretty similar.
By Nighty80
I found 32mm x 9mm somewhere, but I'm afraid I can't find the source for that immediately. I think it was from a spec-sheet for IV-9 nixies, which I believe are used in the Spongeface and (possibly) EctoLabs kits but I'd have to double check.
I made some recently using cut-down pen tubes, ribbon cable and little mesh inserts for the 7-seg, capped with rubber vac/end caps. Mine are a bit too tall (to accommodate a hidden 5mm LED), and wide (due to the rubber caps), hence I had to use 7 tubes, not 8 on my gizmo, but from a distance I don't think they're too bad. (That said I'm keeping a very close eye on Spongeface and EctoLabs stock situation, funds allowing ;))

In fairness, if you can find VFD's that cheap I'd go with those. I've seen them used in other (generally non-functioning) kits on ebay and etsy and they look great.
By EctoLabs
The tubes on the old calculators tend to be described as "nixies", but strictly speaking that name really refers to the older type of tube from the 1950s that has glowing cathodes (the ones that are often used on steampunk style clocks and watches):

The Sanyo calculators used the newer VFD type of tube that use 7-segment fluorescent displays. These were manufactured between the 1960s and 1990s and are the ones you are looking for if you want an accurate look:

I can't be sure of the exact tube type Sanyo used, but they would have been one of types that measure approximately 10.8mm x 30-35mm. They glowed orange, although most of the tubes I have come across from this period tend to glow blue or green.

I use IV-3 tubes in my Gizmo kits. These are a good match if you don't need to make the tubes themselves light up as they need quite a high voltage to work. IV-9 is the same size, but these are a little more modern using thin filaments to create the glowing digits. They need a much lower voltage to operate so could be used with batteries, but they are not accurate to the Sanyo. They also tend to be around three times the price!

Nighty80 wrote:I'm keeping a very close eye on Spongeface and EctoLabs stock situation, funds allowing ;))
<shamelessplug>Another run of GB1 Gizmo kits coming soon ;) </shamelessplug>
Nighty80 liked this
EctoLabs wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:58 pm The Sanyo calculators used the newer VFD type of tube that use 7-segment fluorescent displays.
Sorry, but this is incredibly incorrect. Nixies refer to a specific type of tech--that the Sanyo's used--whilst VFD's are totally different technology. There is not one single fluorescent element in the Sanyo calculator, which is somewhat key to VFDs!

The Sanyo nixies are 7 segment incandescent Nixie tubes. They use 8 different incandescent filaments to display the numbers and a dot in the bottom right. Additionally they have a light screen around the filaments to help stop light bleed from the filaments. This is a non-traditional nixies setup, but not uncommon (the 50s style nixes you see in the nixie clocks were simple characters or numbers on different layers of incandescent filament).

Source: I literally have two of these things sitting next to me right now.

Oh and the dimensions are:

-- width: 10mm
-- 25mm for the glass part (~2.75mm for the bottom part with wires)
-- 5 mm black rubber above that (two sections separated by a slightly recessed belt, lower ~1.25mm, upper 3mm)

Wires can vary depending on date of manufacture, but mine are:

-- 2 white core, clear outer
-- 4 black
-- 2 red
-- 2 brown/orange

I have one with a broken first tube and the replacement provided by the seller is 3 black, 3 green, 2 red, 2 yellow. It's rear sticker lists it as a Sanyo "Eightron" SMI-01 which is (look it up) a Gas Disharge Tube display. Another name for a GDT? Nixie tube (also Pixie and Panaplex tubes, but /tangent).

So... now you know.
Last edited by abritinthebay on January 6th, 2021, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fienen
EctoLabs wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:58 pm ...but they would have been one of types that measure approximately 10.8mm x 30-35mm... I use IV-3 tubes in my Gizmo kits. These are a good match if you don't need to make the tubes themselves light up as they need quite a high voltage to work. IV-9 is the same size...
This is awesome, and exactly the bit of info I was looking for, though now you might have motivated me to sit on my hands if more kits are on the way.
note - the confusion over VFD vs GDT is very common and not helped by many hobbies places incorrectly calling GDTs VFDS, so I'm not surprised at the misconception.

A VFD operates on the principle of cathodoluminescence, roughly similar to a cathode ray tube, but operating at MUCH lower voltages. Each tube in a VFD has an anode coated phosphor that is bombarded by electrons emitted from the cathode filament. In fact, each tube in VFD is a triode vacuum tube because it also has a mesh control grid.

A VFD emits a very bright light with high contrast and can support display elements of various colors, tho you'll most often see bright yellow or blue/green. Think "80s Stereo" for a visual. A Nixie tube pretty much can only do "hot" colors: reds, oranges, and some orangey-yellows (without a colored coating on the glass, anyhow). Because they're luminescent they also tend to be flatter in appearance (tho the tube versions are still round, the segments themselves look much more like flat, clearly defined, led-esque sections).

Anyhow - the Sanyo's used Gas Discharge Tubes, which is basically a kind of later variant on the same "nixie" tech, but it's absolutely NOT a VFD.
By EctoLabs
Holy crap, that's me told! Just goes to show that no matter how much research you do, or how many datasheets you read, you can still be misinformed :oops:

This is probably the first time I've seen a decent
photo of the actual tube Sanyo used - thanks so much for those and the correct dimensions.

I've been aware of the difference between the two techs and that a lot of places call VFDs Nixies erroneously, but I didn't realize that there were GDTs that had defined segment displays like that. This is why I made the assumption that at the calculator tubes had to be VFDs. Now it makes sense why they look so incandescent!

Meanwhile.....
tobycj, abritinthebay liked this
By Nighty80
EctoLabs wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:58 pm <shamelessplug>Another run of GB1 Gizmo kits coming soon ;) </shamelessplug>
Haha, thanks! (Very) badly tempted, almost expressed interest in your FS thread so many times but worried can't commit 100% right now and wouldn't want to take someone else's spot

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]