Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By robbritton
If ever there was a time to fill in some backstory too... :(
mrmichaelt, Kingpin, *NormalGamer* and 1 others liked this
robbritton wrote: November 25th, 2021, 12:15 am If ever there was a time to fill in some backstory too... :(
The film is already out now since last month; at this point, we need answers now and we can't be kept in the dark any longer.
By mrmichaelt
Bison256 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 5:59 pm Is it true that year one was supposed to tie into Afterlife before the covid delay?
No, not that I know of. I can ask Erik. I know the editor Tom Waltz read a script of Afterlife around that time.. And there were little hat tips to Afterlife, maybe there were a few more that flew over my head. Winston's issue, the ending, kinda felt like a nod but with computers instead of
This Post Contains Spoilers
And who knows, maybe that entity at the end of Egon's issue.

EDIT: Erik got back to me. And that was a false rumor, Erik finished writing Year One before covid.

The ending of Winston and Egon's issues were nods to Afterlife that Erik knew at that point when he was writing but in the final version of the movie "some beats changed."
LouisZeddemore, Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:March solicits and nothing yet.
Well I I think it is safe to say that Afterlife was a reasonable success to warrant more projects. ;). Even with the troubles that IDW is currently going through I do hope that IDW can still work with the IP. I know there is a lot to consider right now, but my fingers are crossed. I am really hoping that we see the IDW crew pick up where they left off and continue building on the lore and sew tiny seeds that will lead to the events of Afterlife weather it be just subtle Easter eggs or going into greater detail about Egon’s past. I am glad that we will be seeing more of the original boys in grey in another video game. Very curious to what we see from that. Fingers crossed on the potential Ecto Force Series and the Animated feature film.

Man oh man I was so satisfied with how Afterlife turned out I really pity any project that has to follow in it’s foot steps. I just don’t think that is going to be topped. Till then I do hope that along with more films and a cartoon, I do hope there is room for more comic book stories as well. :):):)
philmorgan81 wrote: December 24th, 2021, 8:10 pm
mrmichaelt wrote:March solicits and nothing yet.
Well I I think it is safe to say that Afterlife was a reasonable success to warrant more projects. ;). Even with the troubles that IDW is currently going through I do hope that IDW can still work with the IP. I know there is a lot to consider right now, but my fingers are crossed. I am really hoping that we see the IDW crew pick up where they left off and continue building on the lore and sew tiny seeds that will lead to the events of Afterlife weather it be just subtle Easter eggs or going into greater detail about Egon’s past. I am glad that we will be seeing more of the original boys in grey in another video game. Very curious to what we see from that. Fingers crossed on the potential Ecto Force Series and the Animated feature film.

Man oh man I was so satisfied with how Afterlife turned out I really pity any project that has to follow in it’s foot steps. I just don’t think that is going to be topped. Till then I do hope that along with more films and a cartoon, I do hope there is room for more comic book stories as well. :):):)
Same.

Now that the home release of Afterlife is coming and Afterlife's theatrical run is near it's end in the U.S., looks like we're playing the waiting game again on when the next wave of GB content (TV, Film, comics, etc.) is gonna be announced; already heard about the upcoming GB game announced with Ernie being involved so that's great. ^_^
*NormalGamer* wrote: December 25th, 2021, 12:32 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: December 24th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Same.

Now that the home release of Afterlife is coming and Afterlife's theatrical run is near it's end in the U.S., looks like we're playing the waiting game again on when the next wave of GB content (TV, Film, comics, etc.) is gonna be announced; already heard about the upcoming GB game announced with Ernie being involved so that's great. ^_^
It sure is. I look forward to the next wave of announcments. Say I think it would be a great time to have an official release of Extreme Ghostbusters on DVD. ;)

There are certainly strong possibilities at this point. :):):)
By KariCrock
IDW doesn't have the license anymore.

If they still had the license, but didn't have any current plans for new comics, there'd be no reason to remove everything from Comixology.

With a new movie in theaters, a back catalog on Comixology is just free money, as new fans find the comics.

Seems like a bad time to quit selling comics, with a new popular movie out.

I guess the hope is that Boom or Dynamite picks up the license. Or possibly American Mythology. But when we do get new Ghostbuster comics, expect a downgrade in art quality as the new publisher might not have as much money to put into hiring the best artists as IDW did. Like Hanna Barbera going from Gold Key to Charlton downgrade.

My biggest hope is that the new publisher will rerelease the back catalog of TPB collections to Comixology. There's several I didn't buy because I didn't know IDW was losing the license.

It's also possible that Sony wanted more money for the Ghostbusters comic license, with the new movie coming out, and IDW refused. Now Comics lost the Terminator license to Dark Horse with the release of T2. And Dark Horse lost it to other publishers with the release of Terminator 3 or 4. So maybe a year from now Sony won't want extra money and IDW can get the license back.
By KariCrock
After I made my post I searched IDW and Ghostbusters on Twitter and I found this cryptic NYE post from IWD Group Editor Tom Waltz.

"Happy New Year!

Find the light in the darkness, folks -- it's always there if you really look.

See you in 2022!"
w/ a Ghostbusters image.

So with losing Star Wars Adventures, Marvel Action, GI Joe and Transformers, they have reprioritized Ghostbusters?
Or maybe he just had an inspirational thing and the GB image illustrated the point he was making.

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1477008039093817346
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham did an interview and did mention 2 crossovers that were rejected.
https://www.comicsxf.com/2022/02/01/wmq ... k-burnham/

1. Ghostbusters and Doctor Who, 57:44-58:03
One that didn't happen because well, one of them was Doctor Who. And I thought that would be fun just putting Ray and Egon in a TARDIS would be a lot of comedy but the reason that didn't happen was they were only going to do one crossover a year with Doctor Who and Doctor Who was crossing over with Star Trek.

2. Ghostbusters and the Fantastic Four, 58:22-59:00
The other one that we put feelers out about started out a joke Tom made that I said 'Well now that you made this joke, I can't not think of it. I was coming up with ideas. The ideas were good. They were 'Okay, let's reach out to Marvel' and Marvel said 'No, we're not going to do a crossover with the Fantastic Four and Ghostbusters. Because I just kept thinking Doom and Vigo would make a really fun team. And Winston would get along with Ben Grimm. And Peter would hate Johnny.
By timeware
I would have loved to seen an FF cross over. That sounded epic. The one that they should have thought of was Army of Darkness meets the Ghostbusters? Yes please! I still want an official Resident Evil Ghostbusters cross over as well.

I find it very interesting that Marvel would take a pass when they had approved Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness a few years back. Go figure.
mrmichaelt liked this
It depends WHEN the cross over was announced. For a while, Marvel is trying to do as little as possible with properties they didn't own. If this cross-over was proposed around the time of Secret Wars, Marvel was in the process of shelving Fantastic Four due to how the reboot of Fox's Fantastic Four movie was going. There was a TON of behind the scenes drama going on (basically Fox denying Marvel any access or say over how the movie was being made and other shenanigans). Now that Marvel has full control over their First Family, I'm sure things would be different had a cross over been proposed now.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: February 4th, 2022, 1:36 am Eh... if crossovers are all they have left in the tank, I wouldn't want to deprive fans of them, but I wouldn't be picking them up either.
Nah, just at that point of the interview, they were talking about the crossovers and one of the interviewers asked him he had any crossover ideas that never happened. But yes, by the time of the Transformers/Ghostbusters crossover, my interest was waning and I then I really loved the Year One mini-series for many reasons like getting back to basics in a way.

Over the decade, in various interviews/social media, Erik has talked about non-crossover ideas he's had like a Krampus story, Ray's spirit guide ghost coming to them for help, a Djinn, and a ghost similar to the Vathek from EGB.

EDIT 2/18: Nothing in May solicits.

EDIT 3/18: Nothing in June solicits.

EDIT: 4/22: Nothing in July solicits.

EDIT: 5/27: Nothing in August solicits.
Bison256 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 4:03 amhttps://deadline.com/2023/04/idw-media- ... 235340419/
Not looking good for IDW
@ *in bold below*

It's not all bad news, though; Tom says that he's still at IDW even though he's no longer an employee there after May 12th and he's a freelancer:

My final day as an official IDW employee (currently my position is Group Editor/Creative Development) will be May 12th. However, my situation is unique in that I've spent nearly the last year and a half functioning more as talent for the company than as an editor. Which means, my separation will only affect my official editorial status. I will continue working freelance with IDW as a writer/consultant on all things #TMNT (including #TheLastRonin / #Roninverse), as well as writing for other licensed and creator-owned projects for the company. This is a multi-year contractual agreement that was reached both amicably and in absolute good faith (the great folks at IDW were very generous in their efforts to keep me in the fold). In other words, I will continue all my current creative functions at IDW (and then some). It is only the Group Editor aspect that will be removed. And trust me, we've got so many cool things in the works and planned, especially on the TMNT front. Look for huge news soon.

Also, this is a non-exclusive agreement. That means I am now able to spread my wings outside of the IDW umbrella, which is a fascinating and exciting new prospect for me. So, if anyone's looking for a grizzled ol' jarhead writer to help 'em spin a few yarns or two, you know where to find me. (By the way, I really, REALLY love superheroes @Ben_Abernathy @TomBrevoort @JimLee @mariejavins & @CBCebulski. A-list characters to D-list, and every superhero in between. Just sayin'.)

So, yeah... I'm okay, gang. Blessed, really... not only for the opportunities ahead, but for all the opportunities @IDWPublishing has given me over the years.
Here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1651727206039851008

Apart from still working as a freelancer for IDW, what Tom said about going outside the IDW umbrella, this can mean many things. We well have to see what comes out of it.
Bison256 wrote: April 28th, 2023, 10:29 am I hope dark horse hires them to freelance on their Ghostbusters comics.
Anything is possible, at this point. Again, we just gotta see how it all plays out.
One of I suppose loose ends of the series actually had some resolution this year. Remember Chi-You from the first TMNT/GB crossover? Floating in space in a Trap in the TMNT universe?
This Post Contains Spoilers
zeta otaku liked this
How do the rights to comic work now that IDW lost the license? I'm sure that Sony wrote the contract in such a way so they own all original characters and concepts. But such thing aren't always cut and dry. Who would have the rights to reprint the series? If I recall IDW when they had the license, reprinted the 80s marvel transformers comics, minus any issues featuring marvel characters.
Bison256 wrote:How do the rights to comic work now that IDW lost the license? I'm sure that Sony wrote the contract in such a way so they own all original characters and concepts. But such thing aren't always cut and dry. Who would have the rights to reprint the series? If I recall IDW when they had the license, reprinted the 80s marvel transformers comics, minus any issues featuring marvel characters.
My understanding is whoever is the current holder of the license, can reprint comics made by past holders of the license. In this case, Dark Horse. That's why IDW could reprint the NOW comics when they had the license.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 19th, 2024, 4:58 am
Bison256 wrote:How do the rights to comic work now that IDW lost the license? I'm sure that Sony wrote the contract in such a way so they own all original characters and concepts. But such thing aren't always cut and dry. Who would have the rights to reprint the series? If I recall IDW when they had the license, reprinted the 80s marvel transformers comics, minus any issues featuring marvel characters.
My understanding is whoever is the current holder of the license, can reprint comics made by past holders of the license. In this case, Dark Horse. That's why IDW could reprint the NOW comics when they had the license.
So theoretically, Dark Horse could do the same thing with the NOW Comics run and even the IDW run?
Ghostytheghost wrote: January 19th, 2024, 8:38 am So theoretically, Dark Horse could do the same thing with the NOW Comics run and even the IDW run?
In theory. But I'm no expert on the matter. Is it a master license like Hasbro has who are also doing reissues of the Kenner toys? Maybe? I'm sure it comes down to $$$ though.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]