SPJ wrote:It just doesn't seem like there is much information out there and if there is its buried in the forums pages pretty quick.
I've fine with you guys stepping up and helping me get things organized and put together.

The problem is the responsibility always falls on me, without much help from outside sources. I'm quite frequently told that I need to do this, or that... without any offering of help from the person demanding it.

I still don't see the need to have a governing body though, nor strict requirements. Currently as it stands all you have to do to start your own franchise... is to start one. Unless you're stealing a name from another already established group, I see no reason for anyone to be able to tell you that you can't create your own franchise. (Except for Sony).
When I relaunched and overhauled GBi/GB Inc at the beginning of this year one of the things I did was get rid of ghostheads having to contact me to make them "official." With that too I updated the franchise application more for a group's "internal" use, for when they're "hiring." Because of that too I updated the "requirements" (which lets face it became bloated from years ago, its what seemed needed) which were always more of a guideline anyway. Wasn't intentionally quoting Ghostbusters.
AJ Quick wrote: I still don't see the need to have a governing body though, nor strict requirements. Currently as it stands all you have to do to start your own franchise... is to start one. Unless you're stealing a name from another already established group, I see no reason for anyone to be able to tell you that you can't create your own franchise. (Except for Sony).
I still think the model the Midwestern Ghostbusters Coalition works is a nice way to bring groups together. jmho
The "YOU need to do this" attitude doesn't change in a costuming club. Trust me on that.

Unfortunately in the GB community I have seen a bit of arguing over territory and names (usually resulting in the addition of "the REAL" or "East/west, etc." to the name) that ends in hurt feelings or strained relationships.
This is something I've seen handled well by organized clubs.
Everyone knows who goes where and what's spoken for and can go through a process to get their own territory if necessary.

Also having a place to share tips on recruiting, connections with charities/hospitals and general rules of conduct (and an authority to enforce those rules) are positive parts of an organized club.

But all of those are possible on these forums, on facebook and in self contained franchises.

Many clubs have a specific message. A clear purpose.
Some of them have the blessing of their specific studios (Disney, Lucasfilm, etc) and think that makes them more legitimate.
Some have established their own IRS recognized charities and like to refer to themselves as "non-profit charity organizations" instead of cosplay clubs.
I believe with the 501st you can count trooping as community service and use it on college and job applications.

But alternatively, my local franchise in West Virginia recently raised over $5,000 and donated it to charity (in the form of toys). I never raised anywhere near that much as a part of any massive multinational costuming club.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]