Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Hey guys, wasn't sure if any other collectors had this problem (I imagine so, as I see a ton of broke traps on ebay) but one of my prized toy traps was simply sitting in a Tupperware bin and I went to check it out the other day, squeezed the pedal and it proceeded to fall apart on me right at the connecting joint of the pedal and yellow tube. I can clearly see a reddish plastic piece that was the coupling connecter for the two and it is now broken in half. It was clearly a very fragile piece and after the plastic matured over the years it got very brittle.

I'd love to fix it to make it functional again, but I don't have any kind of plastics or molds I can even work with. Both broken pieces are pretty firmly glued in there, but I think I can get them out. Does anyone possibly make these little pieces after market or know of any Home Depot fixes perhaps? Literally the smallest and cheapest part of the trap, but probably the most important aside from the door mechanism. Thanks,

- Ian
I took my trap apart completely during my retro-fit.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =3&t=35999

If that tiny red piece is broken, you're better off ditching the yellow tube, and red "nipple" completely. Try a length of comparable vinyl tubing, tape the tubing to the pedal, and disguise the whole thing with wire loom or a connector of some sort. Just make sure the new tube is the same diameter as the old yellow tube, because it still has to fit inside the rear of the trap.
Full-Roaming-Vapor wrote:I took my trap apart completely during my retro-fit.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =3&t=35999

If that tiny red piece is broken, you're better off ditching the yellow tube, and red "nipple" completely. Try a length of comparable vinyl tubing, tape the tubing to the pedal, and disguise the whole thing with wire loom or a connector of some sort. Just make sure the new tube is the same diameter as the old yellow tube, because it still has to fit inside the rear of the trap.
Very cool! However, I am trying to maintain the visual aesthetic and I'm sure it will be much cheaper for me to simply get that tiny red connector or something of the like that I can glue in there. Awesome ingenuity though, very creative of you to go the whole 9 yards on that thing.
Anyone else have any clue on where I could find a similar coupler piece for pretty cheap? I'm guessing Home Depot would have something similar, but again, if anyone has customized their Kenner traps or restored them, I'd greatly appreciate anymore info.

Looking to keep mine looking as stock as can be.
I found an answer to my own question in the form of a brass hose barb from Lowe's! Worked perfectly with a little glue and some light drilling. Here's my visual process in case anyone else actually needed to try something similar:

Used a 3/16 because that's all they had, but I would definitely go with 1/8th if they have it. I hacksawed the middle as best I could to divide it into two more manageable pieces. Had to cut off the former red insert part that's stuck inside the yellow tubing at the end where it broke off of the foot pedal. I then twisted vigorously to get the brass barb far enough into the tubing. Had to bore out the pedal's red piece because there is no way the brass would fit in there otherwise. So the drill was for that part.

Quite funny when I cut open the previous end of the red part that is actually resembled the brass part, just in plastic. Same barbed or "ribbed" pattern (have a few jokes with that one!)

I ended up using the bit of yellow tubing I ripped off the old red bit to wrap around the brass when I snugly pushed it down into the foot pedal to give it a much better air seal and I put a ton of super glue in there to complete the seal.

Last picture = VICTORY!

Vintage toy has been resurrected and works perfectly.
Kingpin, Wafflerobot liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:Any ideas on repairing a stomp pedal? The rubber has cracked on my son's custom-painted one, so the pressure just goes out the crack in the pedal; it won't open the doors anymore.

Alex
Might sound lame, but FLEX SEAL might work haha! I've only seen the infomercials, but if the product holds true it could patch that. Otherwise, some other kind of industrial rubber cement. Maybe you could poach a pedal off eBay too. Very rare to see it by itself, but if you're patient I'll bet you can find one. Post if you figure it out with some pics!
ProtonPack83 wrote:FLEX SEAL
It's a good idea, however, I have used this product around the house and I don't feel it would stand up to the pressure or the constant flexing, despite the name. Some sort of epoxy rated for plastic and rubber would probably work better.
I know I spotted an RGB figure accessory with the Joker one time, from Batman the Animated Series, I think.

They repurpose their molds a LOT.

The spring-loaded gun of the Ecto Charger pack (pseudo Slimeblower) was very likely a retool of a spring-loaded lightsaber from the Star Wars line.

Star Wars toys of course contributed to lots of lines, including the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves line, Butch and Sundance line, even Batman toys had a slightly revamped Stormtrooper blaster for the kids.

Alex
Mine broke where the hose connects to the pump inside the trap. The little plastic extension just snapped off. Must have tossed the trap out a bit too hard in my youth. I've recently passed the toy on to my 3yo son who is turning into as big of a ghosthead as I am, and decided to attempt a repair with glue and some sealant if necessary. Does anyone know what the grease like substance inside the pump is? I was amazed to find it still present after nearly 30 years and wonder if I should replace while dismantled. Thoughts?
Hi guys.

I stumbled onto this older thread today while looking for something else.

Just wanted to add an update...

I did buy one of those red Nerf pedals, but the diameter for its black tube is much larger than the diameter of the Kenner ghost trap hose.

I couldn't find a way to make it work, so eventually I bought a trap with a broken hose and used its pedal to repair my son's trap.

If anyone wants pics comparing the red pedal and blue pedal, LMK.

Alex
ProtonPack83 liked this
I recently scored a Kenner trap for my kid. The hose barb had broken off from the main door lift bellow. So I drilled out the hole just a hair smaller than the hose, threaded the hose into the cylinder, super glued it into place and boom, working trap. plus since more air rushes into the cylinder, the doors open quicker and with more force like the film traps do.
ryangraziano wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 5:19 am Hi! New member here! Longtime fan! :cool: The internal plastic seems pretty resistant to having the barb glued back onto the air pump does anyone have any tips? The photos in the previous instructions don’t open any longer.
Sorry for the late reply - my old pics were probably in Flickr or something that has now closed up shop and disappeared on the internet. If you use a skinny enough brass piece, it will work, but I remember I did have to hacksaw a bit off mine. There are various sizes you can find at hardware stores. My fix definitely works and works well, but now I have the opposite issue, my son loves playing with my other trap that is in perfect condition and unfortunately the plastic tubing that the trap employs for the cord gets really stiff over time and it's cracked a little where it goes into the trap. They didn't design it so it wouldn't bind against itself which is unfortunate. I may have to disassemble the trap and maybe add a harder tube that cord can come out of that keeps it straight the whole way out. It's still such a great toy and I think it's ridiculous that Hasbro hasn't made a kid toy version. The RC one was clever and all, but all kids want to do is STOMP on the thing! THAT is what makes this so fun.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]