Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Is anyone doing the Eaglemoss Ecto-1 and considering mods for the proton packs?
While lights would be cool the fact that Eaglemoss overlooked any mechanism to attach the wand to the proton pack is baffling to me.

I considered using a magnet system but the spring material of the hose makes that not work.
I thought of a peg but that might also cause the same issue unless the peg was tightly friction and that would eventually stop working properly..

Two pegs would work... Any one mod their packs to attach the wand and if so how did you do it?
I've already modded my packs to have better wiring and colors.. Trying to figure out a scale ribbon cable too!
That's a pretty big design oversight. :O

You could use magnets, you could also partially-unscrew one of the screws holding the bottom plate in place, and then carve a little hole matching the size of the screw thread, so you can slot the Pack shell over it, but there may be a lot more complications with this second idea.
Kingpin wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:54 pm That's a pretty big design oversight. :O

You could use magnets, you could also partially-unscrew one of the screws holding the bottom plate in place, and then carve a little hole matching the size of the screw thread, so you can slot the Pack shell over it, but there may be a lot more complications with this second idea.
Hmm my response to you didn't show up for some reason..I tried to use magnets but because the wand has a spring intending to be the hose it has this tendency to cause the wand to start rotating around the backpack. So that just doesn't work. Slotting one piece into another would be an option. I'm trying to keep the pack as clean as I possibly can but i'm just running out of options before I just create some kind of peg system.
Michael Scott wrote: June 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm Tiny v-hooks
Believe me I looked.. lol Starting to consider buying a 3d printer to make it happen!
Last edited by Kingpin on June 9th, 2020, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
I think, I hope, that the equipment gurney will have something that the wand slots into so that it looks like they're appropriately mounted. I agree though, this was a bit of an oversight, but I think it's because they're supposed to be part of the model and not separate accessories - which may have something to do with licensing.
Dan AKA wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:03 pm I think, I hope, that the equipment gurney will have something that the wand slots into so that it looks like they're appropriately mounted. I agree though, this was a bit of an oversight, but I think it's because they're supposed to be part of the model and not separate accessories - which may have something to do with licensing.
Yeah you might be right.. Perhaps I'll hold off until the gurney and we'll go from there.
I'll work on modding my wires and such
T2RX6 wrote: June 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm Is anyone doing the Eaglemoss Ecto-1 and considering mods for the proton packs?
While lights would be cool the fact that Eaglemoss overlooked any mechanism to attach the wand to the proton pack is baffling to me.

I considered using a magnet system but the spring material of the hose makes that not work.
I thought of a peg but that might also cause the same issue unless the peg was tightly friction and that would eventually stop working properly..

Two pegs would work... Any one mod their packs to attach the wand and if so how did you do it?
I've already modded my packs to have better wiring and colors.. Trying to figure out a scale ribbon cable too!

I've gotten the packs myself and plan to do alot of upgrade parts for them. I've thought about putting 26 gauge wire in the middle of the hoses to allow for bending and keeping the shape. But my first concern was the license plate. Can't believe they didn't put the border all the way around it. I mean sure, they are going off reference photos from the movie, but comon, you can clearly tell the edges are tucked up under the bumper. The license plate border goes all the way around. So if anyone would be interested, let me know. Here's what I've got so far...

Last edited by lrdsatyr8 on July 1st, 2020, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kingpin liked this
Dan AKA wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:03 pm I think, I hope, that the equipment gurney will have something that the wand slots into so that it looks like they're appropriately mounted. I agree though, this was a bit of an oversight, but I think it's because they're supposed to be part of the model and not separate accessories - which may have something to do with licensing.

So far I believe that there is nothing to suggest that is the case... but I've seen alot of people using magnets to attach them. Personally I'm actually thinking of making some V-hooks for mine to at least be a bit more true to the originals. Got some designs in the works and since I got my packs I'll be working on them soon.
Well I think I solved the problem of how to attach the wand to the pack. I made up a set of V-Hooks and they work perfectly. Here's how they look

Sorry... the camera on my phone isn't the best...

I made a plate that fits on the wand and the mounting block that just glues on the side of the pack

I attempted to put as much detail in them as possible... including the screws that hold them in place. The main parts as painted black and the hooks are painted silver.

This plate glues on the bottom of the wand with the short side toward the cable.

The mounting block glues on the side of the pack. Definately got to let the glue completely cure before attempting to attach the wand to it thou. The tension on the guitar string they use for the cable is pretty high.

And here it is all attached. Fits like a glove the way the wand SHOULD be attached.

I put up a set of four for anyone who wants them on Shapeways...

Eaglemoss Ecto-1 GB Proton Pack V-Hooks

Lemme know what ya think!
Kingpin, mike_waclo liked this
I found a 15ft length of 6 core ribbon cable (13mm width i think) for about £3 from an electronics supply site on line. I then used a 2mm cable tie cutting off the excess to bind it together and glue it too the pack. There's loads of wire so i was able to separate out some to replace the supplied black tube with green wire on the neutrona wand and add the red wire that was missing on the wand too
NJMo wrote: August 21st, 2020, 9:59 am I have purchased the v-hooks from shapeways and they are perfect! Highly recommended. Really help to elevate the packs they provided.

Looking great bro! Love the look. I couldn't figure out why they didn't make a way to attach the wands to the packs to begin with! Only thing I can think of is they were in a rush... Oh well... Glad you like my hooks ... I completed my first pack the other day... here's how it came out...

Here's a vid showing all the work I did on it...

Mods I've done to this...
1 - Made a ribbon cable from needlepoint string and Elmer's glue.
2 - Designed and printed a V-Hook for the wand to attach to the side of the pack
3 - Design and printed extra hose connectors to the Ion Arm (3 connectors total)
4 - Made straps for the Alice frame from 1/8 and 3/8 inch ribbon (including designing and printing the belt clips)
5 - Made Shoulder cushion on frame from command strips and twist-ties.
6 - Drilled hole in the frame to give it better accuracy and allow straps to connect better.
7 - Made center bar in Alice frame from cut styrene
8 - Generously weathered

Still have 3 more to make, and am seriously considering replacing the tubes they provide for hoses with actual wire. Would make them lay so much better. Opinions?
Last edited by Kingpin on August 24th, 2020, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
NJMo wrote: August 24th, 2020, 1:36 pm Wow! That's looking fantastic! Might have to borrow your idea for the straps! Your attention to detail on your packs is great. Cant wait to see what you do with the rest of the Eaglemoss build.
I saw that someone else had done it, and just expanded on it. The 1/8th inch ribbon is in my opinion the best matching size for the straps. I used 3/8ths inch ribbon for the pads. Cut two lengths and place a piece of command strip foam between them. Seems to work out rather well. The biggest problem I had was that the color choices I had to work with in ribbon were Pink and Neon Yellow so I had to paint the straps manually to get the right color.
Thanks for designing the v-hooks and keep up the great work.
No problem... I also designed the extra hose connectors and the strap belt clips that actually work. Both are available on SW...

Strap Belt Clips

Hose Connectors
Kingpin liked this
I put together a series of videos to show how I modified and upgraded my proton packs for anyone that is interested. Lemme know what you think...

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7
Last edited by Kingpin on September 29th, 2020, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed YouTube code
I used 3mm magnets. They hold pretty good. Pretty disappointed about that detail oversight. I also used 2 12 count ribbon fiber side by side and sprayed with clear flex seal for the ribbon cable. Another big oversight. The ribbon cable is a pretty big detail.

Last edited by Kingpin on May 17th, 2021, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]