By belldandy4087
I am now trying my hand at a gigameter. I will admit that I am basing my gigameter off a cross of the Decameter and the gigameter.
First off i needed to decide what i needed for the display. So i took mine form the the gigameter. It looks like it has an incendecant seven segment display. So i updated mine a to a led seven segment display. here is the the electronics behind it.
Here is a picture of what i made.
And for the main body I used an Bell Lineman's phone
For the Spinning light scanner i used a Magical Princess Wand
I am using some other odds and ends for the other parts I will upload later. As always i welcome any feeback as long as it is constructive. thanks
By SlimeGuy
As far as the meter goes, I think that you've got a good idea here. I miss the giga's handle, but I like that it already has a built-in loop for the belt! I can see this as something that the Ghostbusters would turn into a meter or piece of gear.

I'd still balance it out with some classic gear though.
By belldandy4087
I totally agree with you. I am working on building some more classic gear. The handle is going to made out of pvc. I am really excited for this project. Thanks for the comment.
By crusader_x
Are you going to put the spinner in a clear dome to protect it? I've seen different size clear acrylic domes on Ebay but most auctions for them are big bulk lots. Good luck with your project I'm anxious to see how it turns out...
By belldandy4087
I actually am going to use the clear dome that came with the Wand. I am going to use the aluminum duct tape. (tape made for heating ducts) and place it over the seam in the dome. the dome will probably also be superglued, but i am unsure at this point until i can work on it tomorrow. thanks alot, i will post on my progress tomorrow.
By crusader_x
Ok I don't know why I couldn't see the clear dome before but I see it now. If you remove the inner spinner from the clear dome you will find the dome is sealed shut but carefully cutting down the seam and pulling it apart little-by-little will eventually let you slip the spinner out so you can paint it. Otherwise it would look awkward with a pink spinner but hey it's up to you.
You will probably find that the motor extends far behind the spinner and into the body of the phone not leaving you much room at all which is why I have a "neck" of PVC to mount the dome into and gives space for the motor since my spinner sits directly under the viewscreen and I like to leave myself some comfortable room to mount the lights.
By belldandy4087
Thanks for the info. The seam actually wasnt sealed on this one. not entirely sure why. but i have to modify the spinner anyways, unless i want a spinning heart. I spent the day creating the wiring harness for the display and here are some picts of what i got done. I know it doesnt look like much put i put alot of time in today. never mind i was watching Iron Man on tv while i was doing it lol.
By belldandy4087
SlimeGuy wrote:Oh, so you ARE going to have a handle? Cool. Looking forward to progress!
yes I am going to have a handle. its going to be made out of pvc. I am going to have the press switch that controls the spinner in it. thanks for the feedback. i should have more progress soon.
By belldandy4087
The dip switches are going to be accessible when you remove the bottom plate to change the batteries. The reason i do have them is to change the display of the seven segment displays. I am going to have the readout read 2.5 which is a reference from GBII but i wanted the option to change the display if i wanted to.
By belldandy4087
I am just putting up an update for how far i am in making my gigameter, I still need need to add the battery box, and do some wiring. but for the most part, most of the construction is done.

overall
head on
closeup of the spinner

I have some touchup on the paint but otherwise i hope to have it done by this next weekend
By belldandy4087
The Gigermeter's antennas are on! So all I have to do is add the battery compartment, (shown below) then do the wiring!

the battery compartment is painted and drying. I should be done and up in running by sunday!
By belldandy4087
The antennas are made out of an old chrome towel rack and the "heads" are made out of single led flashlights that i got for a dollar at True Value. Once i get the leds in I will put the caps on the antennas. The caps are the screw in end of the mini flashlight. I should have the antennas done tonight as well as the battery box attached.
By belldandy4087
Ok, its been a while, but i have been busy with several projects. And life has been annoyingly getting in the way. But finally I have mostly finished my gigameter!

[Youtube] http://youtu.be/4TGAwIiOC28 [/Youtube]

I have a few minor paint touch-ups to do but otherwise structurally is done.! enjoy

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]