Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By deadderek
I'd put my money on Ecto Force. *fingers crossed* Then again....WHEN is the damn Foot footage going to be seen?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Dr.D wrote:Maybe the animated series that's been mentioned a few times in the press. Doubt it would be an actual sequel to ATC.
Whatever they release, I assume it will be a further attempt to combine the franchise, instead of dividing it. If it's anything like IDW 101 attempt, I'm stoked. These guys need to do more GB stuff.
Sav C liked this
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote:
deadderek wrote:I'd put my money on Ecto Force. *fingers crossed* Then again....WHEN is the damn Foot footage going to be seen?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
You are that much into feet...?
Yes alpha...I want to see that Foot Detmerring scene.
JurorNo.2, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By pferreira1983
Wow, a lot of people to respond to here. Wait in line...
deadderek wrote:1. How do you seem to understand movie making more than those actually doing it?
Well the end product speaks for itself yeah? :wink:
deadderek wrote:2. You say "...no reason to just to film because it's cheaper" and "utilising the budget effectively". Well filming where it's cheaper and not noticeable to the average movie patron is in FACT utilizing the budget more effectively. What are you not understanding?
What I'm not understanding is spending millions on someone's salary while using a lot of the other money on endless dance numbers. THAT is not effective use of budget!
deadderek wrote:3. The end result "speaks confusion as to where it's shot"? Who's confused? The film is portrayed as taking place in New York, and it's made extremely clear throughout the entire film. Who exactly is confused about this?
Most people who watched it maybe? Just a thought.
Kingpin wrote:At this point in time I would suggest you write some letters to the state, municipal and city governments of New York if you still feel the need to air your grievances, as New York did not provide a shiny enough apple to film the majority of the location sequences - as has been pointed out several times already.
You clearly don't understand movie making yourself if you think this is a great excuse.
Kingpin wrote:There's no confusion about where it's shot, you're just being pedantic.
I'm not being pedantic, I'm explaining one of many criticisms of the film.
Kingpin wrote:World War Z and The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy are great examples of good stories ruined by their respective productions. As long as studios are more keen on profits than telling a good story, making sure you have a good and enjoyable script will always take less priority.
There was nothing wrong with the Hitchhikers movie so not sure what you're complaining about. It's a pretty good movie that didn't get the attention it deserved. There wasn't any bad things going on behind the scenes like ATC that I'm aware of. What a random film to name drop... :-|
Sav C wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if someone didn't understand it was taking place in New York, they probably weren't paying attention.
I paid attention unfortunately, wish I didn't. :(
Dr.D wrote:There is so much I could say about the lever of arrogance and basic misunderstanding of how the film industry works in this statement. First and foremost, screenwriting is essentially the lowest man on the totem pole and I say this as a screenwriter.
Okay I have to stop you there. As someone who actually cares about scripts I feel it's the total opposite. The script is the backbone of the film. You can't make a movie without it. Writers slave away at great lengths to produce dialogue, imagination, ideas. You can't honestly sit there, telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about. Scripts come first!
Dr.D wrote:It doesn't help any argument when you start attacking other people for their lack of knowledge about filmmaking.
As the above shows I clearly know more than you so that's good for me. 8)
Doctor Venkman wrote:The irony of this statement is kind of funny to be honest. There's absolutely no confusion whatsoever about where the movie takes place. This is like saying that scenes shouldn't be shot on a stage because it's not "really New York and confuses people."
I did not say that. Poor comparison. :roll:
Doctor Venkman wrote:shooting in a location that is cheaper and still easily passes for the city you're portraying, is definitely "using the budget effectively."
Of course...when it actually looks like New York!
Doctor Venkman wrote:If you want to be a screenwriter, you're probably going to need to drop the slight arrogance and realize that you don't know more than those in the business. You're not going to break down any barriers into the business by thinking you know everything, especially when your argument is completely nonsensical.
I think I know more than you and others actually. I'm not letting budget get in the way of authenticity. Your approach is to compromise every way possible. Any person with common sense who is in script writing should know this. Not even a thought, it is FACT. Think small, the end result is small. That's the reason movies turn out rubbish today. Good luck in your script writing, I'm sure you'll get far but if the end results are the result of your creative mentality I'll be happy sleeping at night with my arrogance thanks. :wink:
By Kingpin
pferreira1983 wrote:while using a lot of the other money on endless dance numbers.
You're just a dog with a bone over the dance number, aren't you? :) And "endless dance numbers"? Last I checked there was only the one... and I really doubt it would've made any difference on whether they filmed in New York or not.
pferreira1983 wrote:Most people who watched it maybe? Just a thought.
Where on Earth are you getting "most people" from? :boogieman: You're the only person to make any sort of noise about the location supposedly being ambiguous. You're not convincing anyone it's an issue, pferreira1983.
pferreira1983 wrote:I'm not letting budget get in the way of authenticity.
You're not really going to be in any position to insist on 100% authenticity once your script has been sold.
pferreira1983 wrote:You clearly don't understand movie making yourself if you think this is a great excuse.
I'm not an expert, never claimed to be, and despite your claims, neither are you. :) Your ego could do with being kept more in check.

Anyway, to cut a short story long this discussion has reached ridiculous levels, so I'm going to politely ask we move on to something else.
Dr.D, Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
By Dr.D
To paraphrase Moz,
"And if you think keeping to the script is a common goal, it just goes to show how little you know..."

I never said scripts aren't important to the writer. Obviously scripts are important to the people writing them, but once a studio purchases them they become expendable. Also, unless you are directing the movie you wrote and are a well-established and profitable filmmaker, no one is going to care what you want the budget to be. Writers have no say in what the budget should be.

You're pretty arrogant. How often have you done professional coverage on a script? How many actual productions have you worked on? You want to call me out on not caring about scripts? One of my jobs is literally reading screenplays and providing coverage. I am a writer first and foremost. But I'm also a realist and I understand that the film industry is a business. Sometimes scripts don't even literally come first. Take a look at the original Ghostbusters, they started shooting without a finished script. Also crossing the streams was made up on set. Scripts are a blueprint not a bible.

My other job is working on a Network TV show which, yes, is not a film. But as someone who has worked as a PA on several high-budgeted films, it's really really hard for me not to see your "I KNOW MORE THAN YOU" comments as being just some angry fanboy with very little experience in the film industry.

But please, feel free to keep telling everyone they are wrong and that you know more than everyone. That's really endearing and is a great way to both make friends and get ahead in life. If you're a writer, I pity they day you are working on a script that's going to be made and face the reality of being asked to make nonsensical changes to your story. Because it does happen, and it will.

As Kingpin said, this has gone off the rails so allow me to placate your ego.

EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS RIGHT AND THEY SHOULD'VE LET YOU MAKE THE MOVIE
Alphagaia, deadderek, Sav C and 1 others liked this
By JurorNo.2
Oi, again guys, it's somewhere in the middle. ATC doesn't showcase NYC as well as it could have. Not "because they filmed in Boston." Again, many movies are filmed elsewhere. But because Boston wasn't sufficiently disguised to be NYC. I do get more a feeling of generic suburbs at times, than NYC. Or more of a cartoony feel, because it's aimed more at kids.
pferreira1983, Sav C liked this
By pferreira1983
Kingpin wrote:You're just a dog with a bone over the dance number, aren't you? :) And "endless dance numbers"? Last I checked there was only the one
Oh but in the Extended Edition there's like 5!
Kingpin wrote:You're not really going to be in any position to insist on 100% authenticity once your script has been sold.
Which is why I get my films made by me or...moan when I see a film set in America filmed in Czechoslovakia. :oops:
Dr.D wrote:I never said scripts aren't important to the writer. Obviously scripts are important to the people writing them, but once a studio purchases them they become expendable. Also, unless you are directing the movie you wrote and are a well-established and profitable filmmaker, no one is going to care what you want the budget to be. Writers have no say in what the budget should be.
Well that's good you think writers are important however the needs of the writers should be taken into consideration once a film is in pre-production. I'm not saying it happens all the time but it should.
Dr.D wrote:Take a look at the original Ghostbusters, they started shooting without a finished script. Also crossing the streams was made up on set. Scripts are a blueprint not a bible.
If what you say is true then they got lucky however in the case of ATC...they didn't. Not being arrogant, have always learned that the voice of the film comes from the writer, the director simply presents and structures the script to screen.
Dr.D wrote:My other job is working on a Network TV show which, yes, is not a film. But as someone who has worked as a PA on several high-budgeted films, it's really really hard for me not to see your "I KNOW MORE THAN YOU" comments as being just some angry fanboy with very little experience in the film industry.
I don't care about your experience. What you say is how you present yourself. As a writer you always look for the best path. Budget should never be a consideration. That's why films today are rubbish. Either too much money is spent or not enough. You can harp on about your credits but the people I listen to, the people I take advice from understand that script writing isn't about handing in a budget. Anyway I never said anything about my own experience. How do you know what experience I've had?!
Dr.D wrote:But please, feel free to keep telling everyone they are wrong and that you know more than everyone. That's really endearing and is a great way to both make friends and get ahead in life. If you're a writer, I pity they day you are working on a script that's going to be made and face the reality of being asked to make nonsensical changes to your story. Because it does happen, and it will.
I've dealt with people like you on Facebook who have some power. I offer valid criticisms about industry applications and they respond by swearing at me because they don't have a leg to stand on. I've heard this all before mate and guess what? I don't care. It's not about ego, it's not about being proven right, it's about taking creative responsibility, not budget responsibility but creative responsibility. This obviously something you're lacking at the moment.[/quote]
JurorNo.2 wrote:Oi, again guys, it's somewhere in the middle. ATC doesn't showcase NYC as well as it could have. Not "because they filmed in Boston." Again, many movies are filmed elsewhere. But because Boston wasn't sufficiently disguised to be NYC. I do get more a feeling of generic suburbs at times, than NYC. Or more of a cartoony feel, because it's aimed more at kids.
Thank you! Someone gets what I'm saying finally!
By Dr.D
I'm really sorry you are so stubborn and inflexible that you can't even begin to entertain the thought of being wrong about something. You're just gonna sit here and twist around everyone's words and make yourself the victim as if you aren't the one taking things personally. This isn't constructive in the slightest. You have a very skewed idea about how the film industry works that I haven't encountered since I was back at school. I never once said I have "power". I simply have experience in the field that a lot of this thread has been focused on. Experience that I don't expect others to have. I'm not throwing out information about my job because I'm trying to point out facts about the industry that you seem to be misunderstanding. You're the one resulting to taking things personally by telling all of us that you know more. You weren't criticizing the industry, you were criticizing the other people on this forum who were refuting your personal attacks and misinformed opinions. I make assumptions of your experience based on your immature reaction to other people pointing out the flaws in your theories. Again, I work every day with people who actually worked on ATC. With people who have worked on some of the biggest movies in the last ten years. This isn't me boasting, I say that as a means of citing where my information is coming from. So while I'm not saying you are wrong (the indifference to scripts is a huge problem in the industry) the way you are going about talking about it is really immature. Calm down mate, it's just a movie and no amount of complaining on an internet message board will change any of it. Saying you know better, or that when your scripts are bought you will do differently...well that's all fine and good but maybe don't tell everyone around you that you're so much better.

Anyone else think this poor dead horse has been beaten enough? This thread as devolved pretty far.
Sav C, Kingpin, deadderek liked this
By JurorNo.2
Dr.D wrote:This isn't me boasting, I say that as a means of citing where my information is coming from.
Wow, that's eerie. Friend of mine once accused me of boasting, when from my end, I really thought I was just being responsible by citing my sources. Just goes to show you don't know how you might come across to others. I find sometimes people just want to talk, and they don't need my works cited page. :)
Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Sav C
The script comes first to the writer, obviously. And for a no name to get recognition in the industry (from my understanding), the script has to be amazing. At the same time the script is just a blueprint, and will, and should change as the crew come up with better and more effective ideas. It does vary by director, of course, but with for instance Ivan Reitman, his method is to capture the scene as written on the page at least one time as he likes it, and then he allows the actors to do it over, only with improvisation to see what they can come up with.

On the topic of conversation; some people make conversation by telling their life stories, in hopes of the people they are talking to will relate and open up about their past. There's at least two approaches, you can probe with questions, or you can hope they relate to what you have to say. I think most people switch between the two. I'm pretty sure I do. I read an article which stated how New Yorkers and Californians differentiate in conversation style. I thought it was stereotyping, but at the same time there may be some truth to it: http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/ameri ... wyorkcity/
JurorNo.2, Kingpin liked this
By Sav C
I hear ya. While I've done professional video work, I haven't worked on any big productions--so hopefully my opinions don't come off as baseless. What I have worked on has been documentary stuff, which isn't quite the same as feature films or even TV productions (even though that's what I'm interested in as a long term goal). If I'm allowed to toot my own horn, I think I have a decent understanding of film theory; it's the execution which I need to work on the most.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Kingpin
Dr.D wrote:Anyone else think this poor dead horse has been beaten enough? This thread as devolved pretty far.
We're definitely well past the horse being dead, as nothing new has come from Aykroyd's remarks on the budget since the original interview.
deadderek liked this
By deadderek
This thread smells like it needs to be locked. I see nothing significant added whatsoever related to the original topic.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]