Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Oscar doesn't need to be addressed at all. If he turns out to be the villain I'll be pissed.
Corey91 liked this
Oscar being possessed by Vigo would be a bit cliche at this point. If Netflix does well with Cobra Kai this would be a great way to set up a TV series. I have a feeling you'd watch it even if Oscar is included.

Hell, they could start it off with Oscars kids for all we know. Oscar could have legally changed his last name to Venkman.

Dana and Peter could casually bring up what the grand kids are doing if Peter happens to be on a cell phone call.
robbritton wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:37 am I wouldn’t count out the possibility that all we see is de-aged footage of them in the uniforms. It’s entirely possible they’ve all vanished and the endgame is rescuing them from a rift they’ve been in for years, and all we see are flashbacks.

I am really going to miss being able to do all this conjecture!
I think this is closer to accurate, possibly with the kids father...Egon gets them out but can't get out himself
janeb984 wrote:
robbritton wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:37 am I wouldn’t count out the possibility that all we see is de-aged footage of them in the uniforms. It’s entirely possible they’ve all vanished and the endgame is rescuing them from a rift they’ve been in for years, and all we see are flashbacks.

I am really going to miss being able to do all this conjecture!
I think this is closer to accurate, possibly with the kids father...Egon gets them out but can't get out himself

I've always felt like they would do Flashback scenes with either unused footage from the first film or with the de-aging process but I really don't believe that's what Ernie Hudson was referring to in that interview. If they're going that route to make them younger, set at a different time period then wouldn't they probably have Egon in that scene?

I don't think the comment "We're Back Wearing the Jumpsuits" means Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson and Look a like Spengler/Ramis are filming flashback scenes. The way Ernie Hudson mentioned it sounded like a special moment and from what I've seen a lot of movies that use the de-aged process use body doubles/ look a likes that have the same build as the actors when they were younger.
The Trailer shows the suits being kept so I'm confident well see them suit up again. Of course I could be wrong?

Plus I think it would be very disrespectful to Harold Ramis for the plot to be about the four Ghostbusters stuck somewhere and only three make it out with Egon staying. With that plot You're basically giving the unknowing viewer a false hope that all the Ghostbusters will be saved yet as we all know Egon will have to stay because the actor is deceased. That would be poor writing and I know Jason Reitman would not have that plot point foreshadow his entire film!
pizzarat liked this
Glenn Frederick wrote: June 28th, 2020, 1:52 pm
I've always felt like they would do Flashback scenes with either unused footage from the first film or with the de-aging process but I really don't believe that's what Ernie Hudson was referring to in that interview. If they're going that route to make them younger, set at a different time period then wouldn't they probably have Egon in that scene?

I don't think the comment "We're Back Wearing the Jumpsuits" means Murray, Aykroyd, Hudson and Look a like Spengler/Ramis are filming flashback scenes. The way Ernie Hudson mentioned it sounded like a special moment and from what I've seen a lot of movies that use the de-aged process use body doubles/ look a likes that have the same build as the actors when they were younger.
The Trailer shows the suits being kept so I'm confident well see them suit up again. Of course I could be wrong?

Plus I think it would be very disrespectful to Harold Ramis for the plot to be about the four Ghostbusters stuck somewhere and only three make it out with Egon staying. With that plot You're basically giving the unknowing viewer a false hope that all the Ghostbusters will be saved yet as we all know Egon will have to stay because the actor is deceased. That would be poor writing and I know Jason Reitman would not have that plot point foreshadow his entire film!
Oliver Cooper could be a body double for such a scene, especially if they were early 2000s getting stuck.

Also, I dont think that's disrespectful at all, I think its beautiful. They are all trapped and you have to cross the streams to keep the portal open, so Egon is last seen struggling to hold 4 wands together, letting everyone else escape.

'There is no greater love than this... that a man lays down his life for his friend.'
That's heroic.

Maybe it did happen 10 or more years ago and the guys are sitting there telling the kids what happened to Egon.

Anyway, it's all just speculation.
They can get a good body double for Egon, I was just saying I don't think Ernie Hudson was talking about wearing the jumpsuits with the cast and a stand in for flashback scenes. I took what he said as an emotional moment with the surviving cast back together in present day wearing the jumpsuits again but that's how Interpreted it.

I know it's speculations but I don't know why some people want him to be alive trapped in another universe. Once it's mentioned in the film that the four Ghostbusters are trapped and need rescuing you're automatically going to know the outcome. Unless all four Ghostbusters never make it home the story is predictable and overshadowed by "The end of Egon".
I'd rather they not try and make Egon's death justified for the plot and respectfully say he died from natural causes and go from there.
Corey91, seekandannoy liked this
GaudinosWheels wrote: June 28th, 2020, 11:13 am Might have missed this and I don’t mean start another ‘what car is it’ discussion but what do people think is the reason behind the barn holding the Ecto 1 rather than the 1a?
Production-wise: Ecto-1 is the more iconic look of the car throughout the franchise, and so Jason and the Ghostbusters: Afterlife production opted for the 1984 appearance over the 1989 design.
The 1984 appearance also lends itself well to what we've seen the car going through; speeding through Summerville and careening around corners.
As we can recall from Ghostbusters II, Ecto-1A looked rather top-heavy as it rounded those perilous Manhattan corners, which would increase the chance of either damage being done to the car, or something falling/flying off of it.

Then there's point that Ecto-1A was in shambles, following abuse during its stay at Universal Studios Florida, the years out in the Californian sun, and the abandoned restoration effort, the car was stripped of decals, partially-dismantled and in need of replacement vintage parts, like the windscreen.

Sony had balked at restoring her after they'd fixed-up Ecto-1, and with them holding the purse strings for Jason's production after the overspending by Feig's production for Ghostbusters: Answer The Call, I doubt they were any more inclined to return the car to its 1989 condition (I bet getting the sign boards on the sides working again alone would've cost a pretty penny).

But I think Jason made them an offer they couldn't refuse: he convinced them to refurbish the ailing Ecto-1A into one of the two rusty "Wrectomobiles" in the new film, granting it a new lease of life, and possibly the prospect of getting cleaned up for post-Afterlife use.

Story-wise: This is mostly speculation, and we may not get any explanation in the film as to why the car's Ecto-1 rather than Ecto-1A, but my view is they got tired of the Ecto-1A appearance, and decided to go back to basics.
Wafflerobot liked this
Kingpin wrote: June 28th, 2020, 3:51 pm
GaudinosWheels wrote: June 28th, 2020, 11:13 am Might have missed this and I don’t mean start another ‘what car is it’ discussion but what do people think is the reason behind the barn holding the Ecto 1 rather than the 1a?
Production-wise: Ecto-1 is the more iconic look of the car throughout the franchise, and so Jason and the Ghostbusters: Afterlife production opted for the 1984 appearance over the 1989 design.
The 1984 appearance also lends itself well to what we've seen the car going through; speeding through Summerville and careening around corners.
As we can recall from Ghostbusters II, Ecto-1A looked rather top-heavy as it rounded those perilous Manhattan corners, which would increase the chance of either damage being done to the car, or something falling/flying off of it.

Then there's point that Ecto-1A was in shambles, following abuse during its stay at Universal Studios Florida, the years out in the Californian sun, and the abandoned restoration effort, the car was stripped of decals, partially-dismantled and in need of replacement vintage parts, like the windscreen.

Sony had balked at restoring her after they'd fixed-up Ecto-1, and with them holding the purse strings for Jason's production after the overspending by Feig's production for Ghostbusters: Answer The Call, I doubt they were any more inclined to return the car to its 1989 condition (I bet getting the sign boards on the sides working again alone would've cost a pretty penny).

But I think Jason made them an offer they couldn't refuse: he convinced them to refurbish the ailing Ecto-1A into one of the two rusty "Wrectomobiles" in the new film, granting it a new lease of life, and possibly the prospect of getting cleaned up for post-Afterlife use.

Story-wise: This is mostly speculation, and we may not get any explanation in the film as to why the car's Ecto-1 rather than Ecto-1A, but my view is they got tired of the Ecto-1A appearance, and decided to go back to basics.
Yes, that is an excellent point. I hope that 1A finally gets its rightful restoration. When it was revealed that 1A was going to be a stunt car for Afterlife it was carefully noted that the pieces are in safe hands. I wasn't expecting that at all.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: June 28th, 2020, 10:49 pm Was it ever explained in the Videogame why they reverted back to the original car?

I remember seeing some parts of the GB II car laying around in the Firehouse. Could have a similar reason for this movie.

No, its never explained. You're right about seeing parts of of it around the firehouse:

Wafflerobot wrote: June 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm
Alphagaia wrote: June 28th, 2020, 10:49 pm Was it ever explained in the Videogame why they reverted back to the original car?

I remember seeing some parts of the GB II car laying around in the Firehouse. Could have a similar reason for this movie.

No, its never explained. You're right about seeing parts of of it around the firehouse:

Looking at this picture got me thinking...Has there ever been an official explanation for what all the various parts and doodads on the proton pack are for? Do we know? Even if it’s fake techno babble I’m interested to see how thought out it is. Star Wars/Lucasfilm did that for the lightsaber, has Ghostbusters done that for the proton pack? We know the bottom part of it is a cyclotron, right?
Just saw that the Ghostbusters Drive In projections will come with a 9 minutes long message for the fans.

Surely it's not a trailer.

Or maybe it's some kind of introduction AND a trailer?
It will be the same amount of time to the release than the first trailer and the July, 10 release.
I suppose the idea could be that once they went out of business a second time, they stripped or sold off the parts of the 1A to make it more economical to keep and move around.

I’m not really a fan of the retcon in general so I hope GB2 isn’t contradicted. I know your average cinema goer wouldn’t care/notice but as a fan it would be a niggle.

Listening to a podcast the other day and the hosts suggested this film isn’t set in 2020 and is actually set in 2014 - hence making the 30 years without a ghost sighting refer to 1984. Which takes 1989 and GB2 out of the equation.

My own personal take is that they are using the video game as canon which is 1991 if I’m not mistaken. So 29 years....30 years....
pizzarat wrote: June 28th, 2020, 8:12 pmI hope that 1A finally gets its rightful restoration. When it was revealed that 1A was going to be a stunt car for Afterlife it was carefully noted that the pieces are in safe hands. I wasn't expecting that at all.
Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see Ecto-1A as Ecto-1A ever again.
Bison256 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 9:25 pm I thought the former 1A was the hero car in afterlife?
Because one of the two Wrectos has Ecto-1A's front fender (The cracked fog lights and marks from the mount for the amber beacon make it stand out), the pretty-safe bet is that Ecto-1A is one of the two Ecto-1 props in Afterlife, though beyond the fender it still isn't 100% settled as the rest of the bodywork currently doesn't appear to display any visual "tells" that might match Ecto-1A's.
No, but again, it's almost certainly down to: Ecto-1 = more iconic.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
GaudinosWheels wrote: June 29th, 2020, 1:05 am I’m not really a fan of the retcon in general so I hope GB2 isn’t contradicted. I know your average cinema goer wouldn’t care/notice but as a fan it would be a niggle.

Listening to a podcast the other day and the hosts suggested this film isn’t set in 2020 and is actually set in 2014 - hence making the 30 years without a ghost sighting refer to 1984. Which takes 1989 and GB2 out of the equation.
I feel that's unlikely given the on set vehicles all have "2020" registration tags on them, as well as in the trailer "2019" is on a book in the hardware store. Impossible? No. I just doubt it.
Kingpin, Glenn Frederick, Sav C and 1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: June 29th, 2020, 1:52 am
No, but again, it's almost certainly down to: Ecto-1 = more iconic.
Yeah, I don't mind it. Besides, in universe the same reason can also be used as they are still a business. Perhaps it was decided they liked the old logo better after a while.
The film will almost certainly take place in 2020. I think the fact that it is exactly 100 years since the 1920 Shandor activities that Egon mentions in GB1 will tie into this story.

As for Ecto-1A, I agree that we'll never see that configuration again and honestly I never saw 1 and 1A as separate cars but rather one in the same in terms of the story. 1A was just a fun way to spice up the original to make it new and fun instead of it being the same and was also a meta sort of way to cross promote GBII. I kind of liken it to how in every superhero movie and subsequent sequel, changes are made to their costumes to make them different - even though they treat those as being separate items from the originals, in regards to 1A, it always made sense to me that it was nothing more than a freshening up of the original.

And as Kingpin alluded to, simply from a classic car standpoint, we know how rare the Miller-Meteors are and trying to keep 1A as 1A (with no purpose in this film) while going out and finding two more cars for the hero and stunt Wrecto variations just logistically seems difficult and not worth the effort to the studio. So yeah, I totally think 1A was saved from the brink of death to be salvaged as the Wrecto and in-canon, there will only be one Ecto.

Fingers crossed for some new info or a trailer this week!!
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
They retired the II uniforms after they got tired of being called hippies with the gb II logo looking like a peace gesture.

I don't think that GB II will be erased. Well probably see alot of references in the lab like the video game.

Perhaps a covered unpossessed Vigo painting, or ecto 1a car parts thrown in a corner. Maybe we'll get to see blue prints of ideas Egon never got to.

Those could be hung up on a chalkboard with faded notes from Egon. They could show an unfinished proton pack with the mark II slime blower. I highly doubt we've seen the entire lab in the trailer.

we wont see the extreme Ghostbusters trap. Maybe a letter from Kylie on his desk with sketches for the extreme pack.
A few months ago I saw that someone was selling commissioned Gigameters on ebay. In the description he said something to the effect of "the Gigameter from GBII and the upcoming GB: Afterlife." He included screenshots from an email exchange where someone was thanking him for supplying them with a kit. Obviously, this is something very easy to fake, and should be taken with a giant grain of salt. But, if true, then GBII would still be canon.
pizzarat liked this
I know Ghostbusters II is less popular than Ghostbusters, but I am not sure why there's such widespread concern that the second movie isn't going to get acknowledged. All of these people were in it, Ivan directed it and still stands by it. I feel like the series would have to be longer before it was one of those situations where they would make a sequel that ignored some of the existing movies (in the same timeline, anyway).

From the perspective of trying to place the Liberty walk in the same universe as something that seems much more grounded, I guess I can understand a little skepticism, but it seems pretty easy to simply avoid explicitly referencing that event (not to mention, even without that part, we're talking about a film universe where two people were turned into supernatural dogs and survived, so.)
Davideverona wrote: June 28th, 2020, 11:27 pm Just saw that the Ghostbusters Drive In projections will come with a 9 minutes long message for the fans.

Surely it's not a trailer.

Or maybe it's some kind of introduction AND a trailer?
It will be the same amount of time to the release than the first trailer and the July, 10 release.
How long was the introduction and they attached last year, with the original cast being interviewed on the cave set?
RichardLess wrote: June 28th, 2020, 3:26 pm I am 86.7% sure we are getting a new trailer or sneak peak of some kind on Wednesday.
I don't know if I agree that something's coming Wednesday, but I did actually come here specifically to float the idea that maybe they'll put something out on July 10th, as sort of a...not an apology, since it's not their fault, but something for fans who are all lamenting the film's delay.
deadderek, Kingpin, groschopf and 1 others liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 12:19 pm How long was the introduction and they attached last year, with the original cast being interviewed on the cave set?

About 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPmD0TmxOUs

Where does it say the intro is 9 minutes for the drive-in screenings? It doesn't list the time on the GB site or social media.
groschopf liked this

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]