By abaka
The best kit I've ever seen was from Ghost Guy around 2009 and I believe his kit coincided with the Mattel prop which absolutely tanked his run. As far as I'm aware I'm the only person in the world who has his PKE Electronics built into a PKE....This kit has promise and behaves and sounds very similar to his. I assume you're using touch switches instead of buttons which means the wings/light stop as soon as you let go of the contact?

I'd be very keen to see this kit make it into production. PKE is one of my favourite props and it annoys me just how ittle of them are now due to the Mattel/Spirit versions which no offence intended are nowhere near as cool as an authentic prop
By WShawn
abaka wrote: June 26th, 2020, 6:17 am The best kit I've ever seen was from Ghost Guy around 2009 and I believe his kit coincided with the Mattel prop which absolutely tanked his run. As far as I'm aware I'm the only person in the world who has his PKE Electronics built into a PKE....This kit has promise and behaves and sounds very similar to his. I assume you're using touch switches instead of buttons which means the wings/light stop as soon as you let go of the contact?

I'd be very keen to see this kit make it into production. PKE is one of my favourite props and it annoys me just how ittle of them are now due to the Mattel/Spirit versions which no offence intended are nowhere near as cool as an authentic prop
I think I've seen threads for the 2009 kit here and on the Arduino forums. If it's the one I'm thinking of he was actually synthesizing sound effects real-time. My version will have just slow and fast sound effects which I found online somewhere. Mine has touch switches (my 1989 version had touch switches). Mechanical buttons would actually be much harder to install and fit into the shell.

ICYMI I have a build thread going which details the features we've built into the prop (the bulk of the Arduino code is courtesy GohstTarp who knows that sort of thing).

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46251

The last big piece of my puzzle is fabricating the wings. I made a pair out of styrene nearly 20 years ago which look fine, but it's a labor-intensive process. I want to revisit casting the wings in resin (my attempts in the early 2000s tended to be warped). The idea would be to get wing-shaped PCBs fabricated, solder the LEDs and their little acrylic rods to that PCB, then cast the wing around those creating a solid part.

I'm also considering reworking my through-hole main PCB to make it surface-mount which would allow me to either pay a PCB assembly company to do a short run or reflow the solder myself using a hot plate or modified toaster oven. I've never worked with SMT components. It would depend on how many people would want a highly-accurate kit like this. The Matty prop is fine as a toy that looks convincing to a civilian, but it's far from being screen-accurate.

Cheers.

Shawn
By abaka
You're spot on in regards to his sounds being synthesized in real time. No other kit can replicate the authentic of the sound in his kit. Yours however sounds very close, but obviously the real time production of his sounds generates more variety....but still, this kit has lots of promise. Even though I'm good with my PKE. I would be interested in seeing a kit made with your electronics....Be good to have a spare or a second build and more importantly to see people building these as props as opposed to the toys that have flooded the market.
By Kingpin
Just a gentle reminder that as Shawn doesn't have a supporting membership at the moment, that this thread shouldn't be seen as an interest list.

Once he's got one sorted and goes through with offering a new run of kits, then feel free to express your interest. :)
By WShawn
Kingpin wrote: July 1st, 2020, 2:17 pm Just a gentle reminder that as Shawn doesn't have a supporting membership at the moment, that this thread shouldn't be seen as an interest list.

Once he's got one sorted and goes through with offering a new run of kits, then feel free to express your interest. :)
Yeah, I got a supporting membership in 2018 and renewed it once but lost track of it this year. In 2019 I got multiple reminders in my email to renew; I'm not seeing any reminders this year.

It might still be a while before I'd officially try to offer kits. I want to make sure my prototypes are rock-solid before trying to sell anything to semi-strangers.

Cheers.
By Kingpin
WShawn wrote: July 1st, 2020, 2:34 pm In 2019 I got multiple reminders in my email to renew; I'm not seeing any reminders this year.
I assume it's done by the forum software automatically, but I've no idea if the email reminders were discontinued at any point.
By WShawn
Kingpin wrote: July 1st, 2020, 2:59 pm
WShawn wrote: July 1st, 2020, 2:34 pm In 2019 I got multiple reminders in my email to renew; I'm not seeing any reminders this year.
I assume it's done by the forum software automatically, but I've no idea if the email reminders were discontinued at any point.
It doesn't look like I got any private messages regarding renewing in 2020, either. I got plenty in 2019. Just FYI.
By abaka
I know there's requirements to be met and you need to develop a working model before considering sale....but I'd almost certainly buy one just to support the project if nothing else!

I'll be keeping an eye on this project. Out of curioisity, have you ever considered tackling the other great handheld prop that requires extensive electronic work! (Giga!)
Help with some blasphemy...

Why Cut it out at all? If you have a fiberglass sh[…]

Hook & Ladder 8, 1914

Other than the clerestory windows on the Varick […]

The Support Thread

So some minor but unexpectly heartbreaking news ha[…]

Metal Trunk For My Proton Pack

Thanks! I found the kit did a great job with all t[…]