Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
What do you mean by soundtracks? You mean the pop music played over montages or the score by Randy Edelman?

Because if it’s the score you are referencing the GB2 score has one thing and one thing only going for it: The GB Hero Theme. The rest is standard filler with not real thematic resonance.

Plus GB 1 has..Dana’s Theme. And Venkman’s theme. Plus Gozer’s theme. It’s all really great stuff. Gozer’s theme is beautifully gothic. All extremely memorable and well placed/adjusted. The use of the theremin is amazing and so iconic.

Ghostbusters 1 is a MUCH better score. Is a great listen even outside of the film. Ghostbusters 2 isn’t much of a listen outside of the film. It works and is functional for the film, but it’s basic in ways the first film never was. Some of the score sounds like bad sitcom music from the ‘90s.

But that theme is really something else. Part of me hopes the GB2 Edelman theme will be quoted in GB:A. I very much doubt it will but I would LOVE for it to happen since it represents the best theme of the actual GB team.

That being said...Elmer Bernstein wipes the floor with Edelman.
Kingpin, SpaceBallz liked this
I totally love both soundtracks, but I would give a slight edge to GB1. Bernstein composed a better score, but I still love the GB2 score as well, especially the hero theme and the love theme. As for the pop songs, they're all great. My favorite tracks on GB1 are Hot Night and Savin' the Day, and on GB2, On Our Own and Flip City. I probably listen to the GB2 soundtrack more often, but that's mainly because I still have my audio tape copy which I often play in my car (I wore out my GB1 tapes years ago and should probably replace them).
69428scj wrote: August 9th, 2020, 8:57 am To be clear, I said soundtrack, not score. Two completely different music selections. Also, I believe your theremin reference is actually an ondes martenot.
That’s right you did say soundtrack. But both are technically the soundtrack. That’s why I asked which one you were referring to. That’s interesting that it’s not a theremin that was used. I guess I always just assumed that’s what it was. But there ya go, you learn something new everyday.

I still think GB1 has the edge over GB2 for the songs, specially with how they are used in the films themselves. The GB2 soundtrack has On Our Own, which is great. But the original soundtrack is maybe on of the best soundtracks ever. I mean come on. Savin The Day? Cleaning Up The Town? Lest we not forget the actual Ray Parker Jr theme song.

GB2 is good. GB1 is great.

But when you look at how the songs are placed in the actual films? Very few things get me pumped up like hearing Saving The Day after Venkman yells “Come on! Let’s run some red lights!”. It’s Billy Jean-esq. Then we’ve got the rocking big band almost swing style sound of “Cleaning Up the Town” by Bus Boys. It always surprised me these two songs, Saving the Day and Cleaning Up The Town, weren’t major hits. Just great songs. Cleaning Up The Town sounds like it could’ve been made in 1954. It’s timeless.
Then you’ve got “Magic”..which by itself isn’t my favourite song in the world but the way it’s used...it just works. Especially the skyline shot and the energy beams forming up against the Manhattan skyline. Just a beautiful shot that holds for just the right amount of time.
*looking at people who think the GB2 soundtrack is better*

"Don't look at me. I think these people are completely nuts."
69428scj wrote: August 9th, 2020, 6:37 pm We can all agree that Elmer Bernstein's score is better than Danny Edelman's. But Cleanin' Up The Town, Magic, and Saving The Day don't hold a candle to Run DMC's Ghostbusters, On Our Own, and Higher and Higher. All those songs just stir my soul, the others...they're just good songs.
Well that’s why they call them opinions I guess. I mean technically you can’t be wrong...

I mean Run DMC’s version isn’t better than the original. All the songs you listed are good songs from GB2. But GB2 has some pretty Meh songs. I like Danny Elfman, but Oingo Boingo aren’t really my jam. Then there’s...what’s the title? “We’re Back”? that has maybe the worst chorus of any song ever lol. It sounds like clown or carnival music

Plus I’ve never been a fan of “rap the plot” songs. “Spirit” and “Flip City” aren’t the best

But yeah. If it stirs your soul? Turn that shit up and rock out with your PKE meter out. All the power to you.
RichardLess wrote: August 9th, 2020, 8:08 pmThen there’s...what’s the title? “We’re Back”? that has maybe the worst chorus of any song ever lol. It sounds like clown or carnival music
I agree it has a carnival vibe, but I love that song. Always reminded me of the theme to Aero the Acrobat:

I listened to both soundtracks for years. I even brought them to work and played them over the restaurant sound system. Didn't bother anyone, just a small bento place on the strip.

Regarding the scores, both are great but I prefer the heroic and spooky aspects of GB2. When the boys notice the Statue of Liberty on the Ectomobile's licence plate is uplifting. Battling the Scoleri Brothers is epic. The rising danger in the darkroom. I can't say enough good stuff about that music. I know some say it's generic but I disagree. I'm more than happy we're finally getting an official release next year.
RichardLess wrote: August 9th, 2020, 3:28 am What do you mean by soundtracks? You mean the pop music played over montages or the score by Randy Edelman?

Because if it’s the score you are referencing the GB2 score has one thing and one thing only going for it: The GB Hero Theme. The rest is standard filler with not real thematic resonance.

Plus GB 1 has..Dana’s Theme. And Venkman’s theme. Plus Gozer’s theme. It’s all really great stuff. Gozer’s theme is beautifully gothic. All extremely memorable and well placed/adjusted. The use of the theremin is amazing and so iconic.

Ghostbusters 1 is a MUCH better score. Is a great listen even outside of the film. Ghostbusters 2 isn’t much of a listen outside of the film. It works and is functional for the film, but it’s basic in ways the first film never was. Some of the score sounds like bad sitcom music from the ‘90s.

But that theme is really something else. Part of me hopes the GB2 Edelman theme will be quoted in GB:A. I very much doubt it will but I would LOVE for it to happen since it represents the best theme of the actual GB team.

That being said...Elmer Bernstein wipes the floor with Edelman.
The Ghostbusters soundtrack I bought doesn't have Gozer's theme. Or the library theme. Actually it does have Dana's theme but that's it. It only has the music with singing mostly. Unless there is a 2nd soundtrack for the instrumental music? Come to think of it the same can be said for my Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack.
One time wrote: August 9th, 2020, 9:55 pm GB2 felt the need to use rap music as that was what was in the zeitgeist of the late 80's.

I felt it was an unnecessary add on to the franchise.
I always liked the use of Run DMC. One legit New York institution representing for another.
Sav C liked this
Winston1986 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 4:40 am The Ghostbusters soundtrack I bought doesn't have Gozer's theme. Or the library theme. Actually it does have Dana's theme but that's it. It only has the music with singing mostly. Unless there is a 2nd soundtrack for the instrumental music? Come to think of it the same can be said for my Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack.
Many films have two soundtracks: the commercial music release (the most common), and the theatrical soundtrack (the score music conducted by the orchestra, which often used to be rarer). The soundtrack you're referring to is the commercial release.
RGB soundtrack with the Tahiti Songs & Ray Parker Jr's cameo where the twins say, "Ray Parker Jr" before his guitar solo beats them all...

Honestly both film soundtracks are 1 category in my iPod and put on shuffle.

I can't wait until the Edleman score is released, I really enjoy both scores as a musician and would love to hear those tunes in their more completed sense as the online boots are just mid-quality rips.

Pie-in-the-sky, I'd like the scores for RGB & XGB too. (Officially)
Wafflerobot liked this
Hmm, I think that the soundtrack in the first movie fit the movie better. However, I like listening to the GBII soundtrack as a standalone album more. The second soundtrack is more rock/hip hop, while the first one is more of a pop soundtrack. I think Higher and Higher, and Cleaning Up the Town, are the two best songs. There's a few songs that didn't really get used much in the movies, and most of them I usually skip over.

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome