Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
RichardLess wrote: September 26th, 2020, 4:06 amBut a “3” gives people the indication of “Ok. Now this is the Ghostbusters movie you all wanted in the first place”. Heck I’d almost recommend calling it “Ghostbusters 3: This Movie Has Nothing To Do With The 2016 Ghostbusters Film”.

I don’t know. Maybe a small part of me wants that “3” in the title for selfish reasons. I think a part of me wants that “3” in there just so I can look up & say “we did it. This is real. It’s happening. See? Even the title says so.
Uh huh. Exactly why I'm opposed to it. It's nothing but bitterness. Not everyone feels the way you do about the reboot, even people who didn't like it -- I imagine the vast majority of dissenters across the general public don't even think about it at all -- maybe, "that was bad" when they see the Blu-ray in a store or something.

This is just not how the general public -- the demographic any movie, even a sequel, will always be aiming for first and foremost -- thinks about these things. (And you should consider how much your anecdotal evidence might be deferentially swayed given how evident it is even in text how strongly you feel about it -- people who aren't as invested but agree the reboot sucked probably aren't gonna want to argue with you.)
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
Can we STOP talking about the number 3 being in the title? You 2 went back and forth over it months ago. Just message each other. Reboot bombed. Get over it.

Let's keep this from going back to those 2 old discussions.
tylergfoster liked this
deadderek wrote: September 26th, 2020, 12:57 pm Can we STOP talking about the number 3 being in the title? You 2 went back and forth over it months ago. Just message each other. Reboot bombed. Get over it.

Let's keep this from going back to those 2 old discussions.
People liked it well enough, it just didn't bring in enough money in it's initial run. Bombing is a bit harsh though.
That being said: yeah, I would love it if you two get a room somewhere not here about a 3 that's not even there.

Three is a crowd. Can't have crowds nowadays.
You can just make out another Ectomobile in there. Looks like we'll be able to tell them about by looking at the red and white stripes radar dome master. The support bracket on the one closest to Jason in this image is black, like the restoration. The one in the background is white, like in the first film.

When they talked about a tour of the Ecto-1, I actually thought we were going to get close-up to interior elements. At the very least, I expect to the see the gunner seat in action. I am excited about that Plasma Series Ecto-1 -- I just need to see more of the real car!
deadderek, Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
People were getting their hopes up over this lying Twitter account/posts like this:

tylergfoster, groschopf liked this
Davideverona wrote: September 26th, 2020, 1:27 pm
deadderek wrote: September 26th, 2020, 1:16 pm People were getting their hopes up over this lying Twitter account/posts like this:

Wait. Are you the Michigan Ghostbusters???
I'm on the team yes. I'm not the one who works the twitter though.
groschopf wrote: September 26th, 2020, 1:08 pm You can just make out another Ectomobile in there.
The car in the video is "Wrecto-1", formerly the patina-covered car they bought for the production.

It's the same scratch configuration on the passenger-side rear panel that we've seen on one of the cars on-location:

groschopf wrote: September 26th, 2020, 1:08 pmWhen they talked about a tour of the Ecto-1, I actually thought we were going to get close-up to interior elements.
Same. :(

I like the Ecto-1, I'll look to try get it should it become an eventual non-Target exclusive. I don't hate the Ghost Popper, but I'm worried they may've shot themselves in the foot by choosing something that might not be as high a seller.
groschopf liked this
Poor “Extreme Ghostbusters”. Real Ghostbusters is getting all this love, re-released toys, a new proton pack.

Meanwhile “Extreme Ghostbusters” is over here being all:

“...Can I just get a complete series DVD release? Or uploaded on to ITunes? Or YouTube? How about the *SONY* PlayStation Store?
Anyone? Hello? Is this thing on? Ivan, Jason, wait! Please don’t hang up on me...
....Dan?....
...Ernie?....
...God?
Bill?
Somebody please listen to me”
Hi Richard,

Jason here. We are kinda in the middle of retconning that whole series with GB: Afterlife (Coming eventually in some shape or form! Honest!) since it bombed and people showed not enough interest.
Just go and pre-order a thousand ghost ploppers and we might reconsider, alright?

Your obedient servant,

J. Reitman
Last edited by Alphagaia on September 26th, 2020, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
I don't care that it's on Hulu, I want to be able to watch it whenever and wherever I want. Extreme Ghostbusters was released overseas on dvd...no reason it couldn't here.

Fingers crossed when Afterlife is released maybe it'll see some love and get a release.
Honest answer: Yeah, while a fun show (and on top of them already being hesitant with GB:X) I think they are afraid it would taint the perception of Afterlife if they release it before that one, since it might give the wrong impression with four kids going extreme in the firehouse with Egon as a guide.

They really, really need this to be a win.

Edit: also, wasn't there a new series being developed which kinda follows the IDW comic idea of a multiverse so they might release it when that's out to market the thing.
deadderek wrote: September 26th, 2020, 11:50 pm I don't care that it's on Hulu, I want to be able to watch it whenever and wherever I want. Extreme Ghostbusters was released overseas on dvd...no reason it couldn't here.

Fingers crossed when Afterlife is released maybe it'll see some love and get a release.
I wish I had access to Hulu. Up here in the great white north, it’s on this AWFUL free app called the CTV app. It not only has commercials but something is wrong with the version they have. I don’t know if it’s a compression issue but there’s something “off” with the characters mouths when they speak. It’s the oddest thing. It use to be on Amazon Prime & i never once had this issue, but now that it’s on this awful CTV app? The episodes look, I don’t know, like they are lagging or something. It’s hard to describe. Or that they’ve been up converted to HD resolution from a 480i source. It’s hard to put my finger on. It just looks wrong.

Yeah it definitely sucks that this show was such a flop. It’s a shame. I think it’s a much better show than RGB. It was insanely dark for a kids show. I can’t believe that Deadliners was aloud to air.
Alphagaia, deadderek, Sav C liked this
I don't buy that Alpha.

When ATC was released there were RGB dvd boxed sets as well as the "Classic" figures on the shelves.

With Afterlife we see RGB retro figures out & I don't think anyone is going to be confused at all.

If Extreme Ghostbusters was given a release I just can't see anyone but the absolute most daft thinking it's connected to the new movie.
deadderek wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:59 am I don't buy that Alpha.

When ATC was released there were RGB dvd boxed sets as well as the "Classic" figures on the shelves.
Good point!

I think they did that to help the Marketing to show they didn't forget about the old movies, and ofcourse make more money. Kinda backfired as people still were holding out hope for ATC being a sequel after all the media saying it wasn't.

For GB:X the risk/reward is a bit higher as it's much more obscure and a product of the times. A (sadly) failed attempt to recapture the kids they lost to other franchises. If anything this helped spark the desire for a reboot.

Can be wrong though, I cannot pretend to understand their Marketing Strategy.
deadderek wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:59 am If Extreme Ghostbusters was given a release I just can't see anyone but the absolute most daft thinking it's connected to the new movie.
I think the fear isn't that people think it's connected, but more that people might think this is the style they are going for.

GB:X is themed for edgy Teens. GB:A is themed for Families.

My second idea about waiting for the new series might hold more water, though.
Alphagaia wrote: September 27th, 2020, 2:08 am
deadderek wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:59 am I don't buy that Alpha.

Good point!

I think they did that to help the Marketing to show they didn't forget about the old movies, and ofcourse make more money. Kinda backfired as people still were holding out hope for ATC being a sequel after all the media saying it wasn't.

For GB:X the risk/reward is a bit higher as it's much more obscure and a product of the times. A (sadly) failed attempt to recapture the kids they lost to other franchises. If anything this helped spark the desire for a reboot.

Can be wrong though, I cannot pretend to understand their Marketing Strategy.
deadderek wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:59 am If Extreme Ghostbusters was given a release I just can't see anyone but the absolute most daft thinking it's connected to the new movie.
I think the fear isn't that people think it's connected, but more that people might think this is the style they are going for.

GB:X is themed for edgy Teens. GB:A is themed for Families.

My second idea about waiting for the new series might hold more water, though.
They would most likely have the opposite reaction. You see this all the time with franchises. A new movie comes out and the studio releases cartoons, other movies, whatever they have as part of the campaign. The goal of having the name “Ghostbusters” out there on a product will always overrule any concern about confusing people.

The real reason EGB isn’t out on DVD is much more concerning. Sony has no idea what it’s doing. The amount of cartoons lesser known than Ghostbusters out there on DVD is embarrassing. That’s why it amazes me that anyone could have faith in Sony. It took how long to get a single special feature on Ghostbusters 2? Then there’s that awful, awful 2009 blu ray. The complete mismanagement of the game. That game is easily the best movie video-game translation not named Goldeneye and it barely made a splash. So many people are finally discovering it now. Not to mention their film slate. They ran Men in Black into the ground. Had to have Kevin Feige from Marvel come in & save Spider-Man after two disastrous films rebooted after the Raimi trilogy. The Sony hack. The marketing of GB16.

If Ghostbusters was at WB or Disney we’d be up to our ears in content. I mean...what happened to the Ghostbusters animated film? That new cartoon?

Hopefully GBA is something they got right. Hopefully it renews and reinvigorates this franchise. If so? I expect people will be demanding more GB content and they’ll be forced to release EGB on DVD or remaster RGB to 1080p. Time will tell.
I'm sorry, Richard. I'm just kinda tired of you endlessly debating and disregarding all possible reasons. You strongly believe they should be doing this a certain way when it's evident they are following another course you are on.

They won't add a 3, they haven released GB:X yet. We cannot see their Marketing Plan. They can only play so many cards.

Let's agree to disagree and call it a day!
He brings up valid counterpoints though on various threads.

(Thus my forum signature because he's often right.)
Alphagaia liked this
If I recall correctly, Ivan Reitman himself said that the animated movie (wich was very well into development before the Afterlife announcement) and the animated series were both put on hold to see how well the "new live action movie" will fare.

Another thing I'll add: Ghostbusters Afterlife is all Jason's merit. Sony only had the intelligence to let Jason guide the project.
deadderek, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Alphagaia wrote: September 27th, 2020, 3:53 am I'm sorry, Richard. I'm just kinda tired of you endlessly debating and disregarding all possible reasons. You strongly believe they should be doing this a certain way when it's evident they are following another course you are on.

They won't add a 3, they haven released GB:X yet. We cannot see their Marketing Plan. They can only play so many cards.

Let's agree to disagree and call it a day!
No, your just tired of me disagreeing with YOU.

Whatever dude. Arm chair quarterbacking is part of what being a fan is about. There’s a right way to do things, and a wrong way. If you think Sony has done right by this franchise, good for you. I don’t. And I’ll talk about why that is. If you don’t like that, perhaps mute or block me, I don’t know. Your reasoning for not releasing a show on DVD because Sony believes people will confuse it holds no water or basis in reality. So yes, I’ll disregard that. When I think someone makes a valid point, I make sure to say that.
He brings up valid counterpoints though on various threads.

(Thus my forum signature because he's often right.)
I appreciate you sticking up for me.

But just to prove Alpha’s point about how disagreeable I am, I’ll point out that I am also very often wrong.
Alphagaia liked this
Neh, I see no need to mute you, because I don't dislike you or mind that you (or any other) disagrees with me on anything. That's life. Especially online. In fact a good discussion is fun. And I like to poke fun while doing it.

That being said, looking back at previous discussions even in this thread: the literal length we would have to go discussing this while we cannot see the hand Sony is holding isn't something I was looking forward to, and that's why I thought: this internet debate isn't worth my time on this busy day. Too many variables we just don't know.

No hard feelings!

Side note:
Alphagaia wrote: September 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm
deadderek wrote: September 26th, 2020, 12:49 pm It looks like the damn engine had caught fire at some point, they made the front of the car looked charred.
How long did he say the Ecto-1 was collecting rust? I didn't catch that, but I don't think he said 30 years.
Anyone noticed this as well or was I zoneing out?
pizzarat liked this
Im guessing there's only 1 working proton pack in the film. The unfinished one on the table pieced together with spare parts since the proton gun is sitting in a box.
RichardLess wrote: September 27th, 2020, 7:45 amIf you think Sony has done right by this franchise, good for you.
I mean, the main thing, which I think you sometimes overlook, is that the vast majority of the doldrums here, up until 2014 or 2015, that was basically all on Bill and that ironclad deal he made on Ghostbusters II, where they couldn't make a move without his approval, even if he wasn't going to be in it. It's not that Sony didn't want to exploit the IP, it's that they (naturally, and I think correctly) believed that live-action movies were the way to go. Dan struck out on that front with Hellbent in 1999, because Sony didn't want to spend $150 million (which, at the time, would've made it one of the most expensive movies ever made, so I can't really blame them), and then they were (I think also correctly) not entirely convinced by the possibilities they had lined up for a "pass-the-torch" movie with only part of the cast returning. You and I can both agree that people Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill felt more like the studio chasing comedy trends rather than being creatively engaged.

From there the problems become compound, in that now the property became 30 years old without new content to keep the public interested. But so much of this falls to one guy, so even if Sony bungled the 2016 movie (which could've -- not would've, but could've gone differently if Pascal, the film's executive cheerleader, hadn't been ousted by the hack and would've had more power to have Feig's back during the marketing phase), that's not exactly the lengthy legacy of mishandling the franchise that you're framing it as. That's all taken place over the course of less than the last decade, during which they've been pretty great at exploiting the IP otherwise, with new merch and whatnot. I'm sure there were plenty of people at the studio between 1989 and 2014 who were just as frustrated by the way their hands were tied on Ghostbusters as you are.

Ultimately, despite the history of what may or may not have been missed opportunites (bringing it full circle here), Afterlife seems like it could be a very good movie, and as a fan, I'm happy to have also gotten a reboot I liked on top of that, which for me was very much the culmination of almost 30 years of waiting for new Ghostbusters content.

As for "Extreme Ghostbusters," maybe Turbine, which released "The Real Ghostbusters" on 3 Blu-ray discs, will do that series as well. (It was out of print for a little bit and had shot up to $300, but they did a repackage at the beginning of the year and you can get that on Amazon DE -- a good deal if you don't want to track down the Time Life firehouse.)
pizzarat, Alphagaia liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 12:43 pm
RichardLess wrote: September 27th, 2020, 7:45 amIf you think Sony has done right by this franchise, good for you.
I mean, the main thing, which I think you sometimes overlook, is that the vast majority of the doldrums here, up until 2014 or 2015, that was basically all on Bill and that ironclad deal he made on Ghostbusters II, where they couldn't make a move without his approval, even if he wasn't going to be in it. It's not that Sony didn't want to exploit the IP, it's that they (naturally, and I think correctly) believed that live-action movies were the way to go. Dan struck out on that front with Hellbent in 1999, because Sony didn't want to spend $150 million (which, at the time, would've made it one of the most expensive movies ever made, so I can't really blame them), and then they were (I think also correctly) not entirely convinced by the possibilities they had lined up for a "pass-the-torch" movie with only part of the cast returning. You and I can both agree that people Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill felt more like the studio chasing comedy trends rather than being creatively engaged.

From there the problems become compound, in that now the property became 30 years old without new content to keep the public interested. But so much of this falls to one guy, so even if Sony bungled the 2016 movie (which could've -- not would've, but could've gone differently if Pascal, the film's executive cheerleader, hadn't been ousted by the hack and would've had more power to have Feig's back during the marketing phase), that's not exactly the lengthy legacy of mishandling the franchise that you're framing it as. That's all taken place over the course of less than the last decade, during which they've been pretty great at exploiting the IP otherwise, with new merch and whatnot. I'm sure there were plenty of people at the studio between 1989 and 2014 who were just as frustrated by the way their hands were tied on Ghostbusters as you are.

Ultimately, despite the history of what may or may not have been missed opportunites (bringing it full circle here), Afterlife seems like it could be a very good movie, and as a fan, I'm happy to have also gotten a reboot I liked on top of that, which for me was very much the culmination of almost 30 years of waiting for new Ghostbusters content.

As for "Extreme Ghostbusters," maybe Turbine, which released "The Real Ghostbusters" on 3 Blu-ray discs, will do that series as well. (It was out of print for a little bit and had shot up to $300, but they did a repackage at the beginning of the year and you can get that on Amazon DE -- a good deal if you don't want to track down the Time Life firehouse.)
When I say “the franchise” I didn’t just mean movies. I mean cartoons, video games, toys, constant presence at Cons. Take something like Extreme Ghostbusters. A good show. But the reason it failed was due to time slot. Time slot! That’s something that can be fixed! The video game. Mishandled from the word go. This is a Sony property. It should’ve been bundled with PS3/4s. The marketing push was so “meh”. They had the original cast back! Have them out there prompting the hell out of it. Or how about books? Where are all the Ghostbusters books? Adventures with these characters. Yes I know “Print is dead”. I’m not trying to suggest Star Wars & GB are on equal footing, but that is how you manage a franchise! Look at how Paramount/CBS handles Star Trek. Those reboot films barely made them any money, what do they do? Cease all Star Trek? Heck no. Look at all the Star Trek content. And that franchise has had its fair share of misses. They spent millions upon million making Star Trek The Next Generation available for blu ray. And they lost money on it! Yet they still made a Star Trek Picard series. Because they understand how these things are suppose to work.

We are all ghostbusters fans here, right? From 1997-2014, was your Ghostbusters hunger satisfied? Was Sony actively making sure new generations of fans were out there consuming it’s content? Nope. Because there was nothing. It was up to us fans. Organizing, sharing. Does Sony have any sort of Ghostbusters website where you can go & meet up with other Ghostbusters groups? Where you can share proton packs and costumes that you made?

I think some people at a Sony looked at Ghostbusters as just another comedy. They didn’t see the sci fi mythology potential. You can build a rich lore, just like Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones...all that stuff. But I don’t think they saw that potential.

Ghostbusting is such a fantastic concept. Mix in great weapons, characters and mythology? You’ve got yourself a recipe for a very successful franchise.

And sorry. I know some people don’t like me ragging on Sony. But they’ve really missed the boat on this.
deadderek liked this
Richard, we all love the franchise but you need to realize after 1991 Ghostbusters was a dead from sony's perspective. If a third movie had come out in the 90s than things would have been different, but it didn't. Afterlife still might change that, we'll see in March.
RichardLess wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:28 pmTake something like Extreme Ghostbusters. A good show. But the reason it failed was due to time slot. Time slot! That’s something that can be fixed!
Sony doesn't own any of the networks that "Extreme Ghostbusters" aired on, so I'm not sure what you think they should've done. I don't think Sony has any leverage once the show has been sold to a network -- they can't breach the contract by taking it somewhere else, so what power do they have?
RichardLess wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:28 pmThe video game. Mishandled from the word go. This is a Sony property. It should’ve been bundled with PS3/4s. The marketing push was so “meh”. They had the original cast back! Have them out there prompting the hell out of it.
I guess I don't feel like the game was underpromoted. I remember reading a major feature in one of the gaming magazines at the time, and people seemed to be aware of it. I also seem to recall a steady stream of Aykroyd and Hudson interviews promoting it, although lots of Aykroyd interviews blend together. Maybe not Ramis. Of course, since Bill didn't even finish recording his lines for it, I can't say I'm surprised he didn't promote it much (although I remember him telling his theme song story on Letterman, so...was he not promoting the game?). The general reaction to the game outside of the fandom seemed to be that it was fun but kind of repetitive, and that story-wise it retread old territory, which suggests to me that it performed about as well as it was going to, not that people weren't aware of it.
RichardLess wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:28 pmLook at how Paramount/CBS handles Star Trek. Those reboot films barely made them any money, what do they do? Cease all Star Trek? Heck no. Look at all the Star Trek content. And that franchise has had its fair share of misses. They spent millions upon million making Star Trek The Next Generation available for blu ray. And they lost money on it! Yet they still made a Star Trek Picard series. Because they understand how these things are suppose to work.
This isn't a great 1:1 for a couple of reasons. The Star Trek reboot movies that barely made them any money did achieve profitability in theaters, making their home video pure revenue, and when Star Trek Beyond ended that streak, they stopped making movies and returned to television, where they had a studio streaming service that benefitted from more "Star Trek" content. I imagine now they're pretty happy with restoring "The Next Generation" what with CBS All Access/Paramount+ (my housemates and another friend just binged all of the series).

"Extreme Ghostbusters" aside, Sony has pretty consistently restored and updated the original movie on home video, which is clearly the big revenue driver for them. I know I've bought it enough times. I'd also note that this is an area where the quality of the effort (i.e. Ghostbusters II never getting any serious extras until last year) is up for debate, but that's not necessarily the same as Sony not keeping that title "active" (thinking of that "green slime" thinpak DVD bundle).
RichardLess wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:28 pmFrom 1997-2014, was your Ghostbusters hunger satisfied?
Main thing is, until the early 2000s, the internet wasn't as much of a force in the world as it is now, and I think the internet was the big motivator behind the nostalgia boom that we have in pop culture. I wasn't particularly surprised that Ghostbusters wasn't especially active as an IP during most of that time. They didn't want to make the movie Aykroyd pitched, so that pretty much seemed like it was the end of the road.
RichardLess wrote: September 27th, 2020, 1:28 pmI think some people at a Sony looked at Ghostbusters as just another comedy. They didn’t see the sci fi mythology potential. You can build a rich lore, just like Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones...all that stuff. But I don’t think they saw that potential.
I don't think the question is whether or not they saw that potential, the question is whether or not they saw an audience for that potential. Before the internet, I don't know how aware they were of Ghostbusters as a legacy property they would want to keep exploiting, because digging up old franchises that had completely gone dormant wasn't necessarily a thing that was commonplace (and many of the efforts that did exist were unsuccessful, artistically and commercially). I think (even if it wasn't hugely successful) The Video Game was really their first taste of that (what with that fan mod helping to kick off the development process), because it was after that we started to see movement on new movies really begin in earnest.

In any case, none of this is necessarily a defense of Sony, it's just the absence of beef. The changing pop culture landscape (the rise of '80s nostalgia) and some happenstance (Sony's apparent disinterest in jumping into the streaming wars, which, to be honest, thank goodness -- I've got enough services!) dictated some of their choices, and ultimately brought us where we are now. There's no going back, so I don't see much use in cataloging regrets.
Dr.D, Alphagaia liked this

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]