By Dan AKA
gold333 wrote: September 20th, 2015, 1:30 am Nice! Do we know which scenes used the super hero pack?

Also, what was different in the superhero vs the venkman? Just the moving bargraph or more?
This thread deserves to be updated and a response tendered.

The Super Hero Proton Pack was used primarily during the roof top sequence, and I have not been able to identify its use during any other sequence in the first film. The close up shot of the "Heat em' Up" sequence, worn by Venkman when firing down at Stay Puft, worn by Winston briefly, and again work by Venkman briefly.

Differences in Ghostbusters of the Super Hero Wand:
- Orange Top Hat Light instead of Milky White
- Omission of the Bar Graph Decal & Slo-Blo Decal
- Different Envelope Decal under the top right flip switch
- Blacked Out Knobs
- Unpainted Rear Cylinder (I believe the rear cylinder was not attached to the wand during the close up shot of the wand)
- No decals on top knob
- Nycoil Banjos on Wand Tip

Differences in Ghostbusters of the Super Hero Pack:
- Reversed Bumper, with blue bumper label set into recessed portion of bumper on right side
- Blue hose from Ion Arm to PPD goes over the ribbon cable
- Vac Tube hose runs over the HGA lines, and then under the HGA lines when terminating on the proton pack.
- Duel Stacked mounting bolts on bottom of cyclotron
- left side of pack is mounted at the power cell, and not near the Ion Arm
- Ghostbusters II style clippard Hex fitting on Ion Arm
- P-Clamp set upside down on Booster Frame
- Tight Twist on Ribbon cable (similar to Omni Pack)
- No cylcotron ring dimples
- No half moon and block spacers between ALICE frame and mobo
- ALICE frame had rivets at the 10:00 & 2:00 positions on the frame and into the mobo
- Power Cell lights mounted to the shell, not the mobo
- No foam tube pad on top of ALICE frame
Last edited by Dan AKA on April 30th, 2020, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westies14, RedSpecial, JWils23 and 1 others liked this
By Badmen
As this thread reveals the hero packs changed only as much as was necessary for GB2, even retaining their original elbows and ion arm square fitting.

The courtroom scene in GB2 is a shoulder strap continuity nightmare. It looks like one hero pack LC1 straps received custom extra padding but another, not.

Did the original LC1 frame/strap setup stay on the hero packs for GB2?
By RedSpecial
The LC-1 frames stayed on the Hero's but the belts and kidney pads were changed out for LC-2 versions and the straps were padded later in production.
By Badmen
I appreciate that, thank you for the clarification. It looked like all of the V webbing was extra padded by the end when they arrive to the slime shelled museum and I questioned what else stayed behind.

Hard to believe two hero packs are now in private hands. Really great to find specific answers to questions here with some amazing reference. But now I have to give up on replicating a specific pack.
RedSpecial liked this
By gerard55
Has it ever been worked out what the light lens is on the superhero thrower in front of the orange hat light? I used to think the thrower had an orange and white hat light but the lens in that pic looks transparent and is obviously smaller than the hat light behind it.

I wonder why the orange hat light was only partially exposed as well, it's barely poking through the aluminium vs the other hat lights on the wand which are fully shown.
By JWils23
That little light in front of the hat light is an arcolectric light, the shop sells them here. https://www.gbfans.com/shop/pack-parts/ ... indicator/

That hat lights like many things differ from pack to pack. The top hat light on the Venkman pack is also sunken like the super hero. But the top hat lights on the Sony lobby pack and the Spengler pack are both fully exposed.
gerard55, Kingpin liked this
By gerard55
JWils23 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 4:07 pm That little light in front of the hat light is an arcolectric light, the shop sells them here. https://www.gbfans.com/shop/pack-parts/ ... indicator/

That hat lights like many things differ from pack to pack. The top hat light on the Venkman pack is also sunken like the super hero. But the top hat lights on the Sony lobby pack and the Spengler pack are both fully exposed.

Bought one for my wand build, though probably be disassembling it and using the lens only as it seems to need a lot of voltage.
By Kingpin
gerard55 wrote: November 14th, 2020, 5:42 pm Bought one for my wand build, though probably be disassembling it and using the lens only as it seems to need a lot of voltage.
That's what I've done with mine, it means I don't have to replace the whole unit should the electrical component burn out.
gerard55 liked this
By l3w1sb159
Dan AKA wrote: April 21st, 2020, 10:36 am
gold333 wrote: September 20th, 2015, 1:30 am Nice! Do we know which scenes used the super hero pack?

Also, what was different in the superhero vs the venkman? Just the moving bargraph or more?
This thread deserves to be updated and a response tendered.

The Super Hero Proton Pack was used primarily during the roof top sequence, and I have not been able to identify its use during any other sequence in the first film. The close up shot of the "Heat em' Up" sequence, worn by Venkman when firing down at Stay Puft, worn by Winston briefly, and again work by Venkman briefly.

Differences in Ghostbusters of the Super Hero Wand:
- Orange Top Hat Light instead of Milky White
- Omission of the Bar Graph Decal & Slo-Blo Decal
- Different Envelope Decal under the top right flip switch
- Blacked Out Knobs
- Unpainted Rear Cylinder (I believe the rear cylinder was not attached to the wand during the close up shot of the wand)
- No decals on top knob
- Nycoil Banjos on Wand Tip

Differences in Ghostbusters of the Super Hero Pack:
- Reversed Bumper, with blue bumper label set into recessed portion of bumper on right side
- Blue hose from Ion Arm to PPD goes over the ribbon cable
- Vac Tube hose runs over the HGA lines, and then under the HGA lines when terminating on the proton pack.
- Duel Stacked mounting bolts on bottom of cyclotron
- left side of pack is mounted at the power cell, and not near the Ion Arm
- Ghostbusters II style clippard Hex fitting on Ion Arm
- P-Clamp set upside down on Booster Frame
- Tight Twist on Ribbon cable (similar to Omni Pack)
- No cylcotron ring dimples
- No half moon and block spacers between ALICE frame and mobo
- ALICE frame had rivets at the 10:00 & 2:00 positions on the frame and into the mobo
- Power Cell lights mounted to the shell, not the mobo
- No foam tube pad on top of ALICE frame
Just to add, I might be wrong but looking at the sony lobby reference pics, the superhero on the mannequin seems to have the clippards swapped (r701 on the pack and r331 on the thrower)
By Kingpin
UEF wrote: June 12th, 2022, 7:44 am The ribbon cables changed between GB1 and GB2. Why?
The most likely answer is they couldn't find any more of the original cable when they were building the new Pack props for Ghostbusters II, so they swapped out all of the ribbon cables for the spectra strip so they'd be consistent.

That's likely why the crank knobs are all black as well.
ccv66 liked this
By UEF
Kingpin wrote: June 12th, 2022, 7:56 am
UEF wrote: June 12th, 2022, 7:44 am The ribbon cables changed between GB1 and GB2. Why?
The most likely answer is they couldn't find any more of the original cable when they were building the new Pack props for Ghostbusters II, so they swapped out all of the ribbon cables for the spectra strip so they'd be consistent.

That's likely why the crank knobs are all black as well.
What I'd assumed as well, but given the vast (and I mean vast) majority wouldn't notice the difference between cables in different scenes, I had wondered if there was a different reason.

Put a different way, they got those consistent, but the straps are all over the place in terms of the type/thickness and no one saw an issue with that :)
ccv66 liked this
By ccv66
Considering no one noticed slimmer was a peanut in one scene...

I wouldn't overthink anything. There's only like 6 minutes of proton pack scenes in two movies. You have to think of the era too. Picking out details is hard in 4k much less VHS. Do people realize VHS cassettes were like $50 ,back when minimum wage $3. It would be like paying $200 for a Blu-ray today. There's no way they could have even fathomed people would be examining their work in high resolution decades later. They didn't even think they would make a sequel.

Scene consistency < Bill Murray bitching

I'm sure Ivan was pickier in pre-production, but I'm sure that all goes out the window when you start filming and you're worried about budget and timelines. Consistencies make more sense in the order they were filmed not in the order they appeared in the movies
Kingpin liked this
By UEF
ccv66 wrote: June 12th, 2022, 3:11 pm Considering no one noticed slimmer was a peanut in one scene...
That's about 2 frames of rather blurry peanut in fairness :lol:
ccv66 liked this
By chris8414
I have watched GB over and over again in 4K UHD, paused it in specific proton pack scenes and can’t find one scene where the bumper is backwards on the “Super Hero”?… I don’t think there is evidence to back that claim up.
By halliwax
chris8414 wrote: November 1st, 2022, 8:05 pm I have watched GB over and over again in 4K UHD, paused it in specific proton pack scenes and can’t find one scene where the bumper is backwards on the “Super Hero”?… I don’t think there is evidence to back that claim up.
aawww, must be my very rude friend from youtube... nice to see you again Chris, hopefully you'll take these guys advice and stop calling me names now...
Ebobhazard84, mburkit liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]