Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote:
Davideverona wrote: September 30th, 2020, 11:00 am I think that the guy who runs that Twitter account is Patrick.

The... the starfish?
Ha. No. Years ago there was a guy that posted here non-stop about Ghostbusters 3. He was convinced it was happening. He would post all these alleged plot threads, etc. When it was pointed out that he was posting old-news or "fake news", he would get very upset. I'm not doing justice to how obnoxious he was. I don't say this to be mean, but looking back, I think he might have been on the spectrum.
Dr.D, Davideverona, Kingpin liked this
Well said Jon. This guy would go on and on arguing with people about how GB3 was greenlit or this person or that person would be in it. Any time anyone would point out he was either regurgitating old news or making things up he'd go off the rails.
Please excuse the diatribe here but I have to get this off my chest:
Whenever something big that I want to see happen comes along and I have to wait, I always have this fear that I’m going to die and miss out. It started with LOST. “God, please. Let me live long enough to find out what’s going on with LOST”. Then it was the new Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. “God. Please let me live long enough to see the new Star Wars trilogy”. Next was Game of Thrones. “God please....you get the idea”. And now it’s Ghostbusters turn.

So far I’m 3 for 3. And each of those stories ended rather terribly. And yet..I pray. I think Ghostbusters 3(or whatever this is) is the last of the major franchise stories I’ve waiting to see complete. There use to be all these movies rumoured and talked about. “When’s it going to happen?”. Stuff like Star Wars sequels or Indiana Jones 4. Since back in the early 2000s. Websites like Ain’t It Cool, CHUD, Comingsoon and the like.

Harry Potter? Done. Indiana Jones 4? Done. Star Wars Sequel Trilogy? Done. Lord of the Rings? Done. Game of Thrones? Done. I’ve seen Iron Man, Spider-Men, Superman, Avengers. All things geek internet use to go crazy fantasizing about. They’ve all happened. Heck some have even been rebooted already! And there’s just one left.

And it’s the big one. The one I’ve been waiting for since before I even used the internet.

Why do I bring this up? I had a rather large health scare today. I’ll spare the details but suffice to say, I’m not out of the woods yet. But I’m ok. And of course when something like that happens you think of family & loved ones. Things left unsaid to people you wish were around. But there was a real fear in me that I might miss out on Ghostbusters Afterlife. I don’t know if that’s sad or pathetic, I come face to face with my own mortality and one of the things I think about is a movie lol. But it’s the truth. It was a real worry. I’m still here. Still alive. And March 2021 can’t get here soon enough.

So one more time. “God..please. Let me live long enough to see Ghostbusters Afterlife”
Dr.D, Sav C, tylergfoster and 3 others liked this
When GB3 falled apart in 2014 the production of Stan and Ollie just started.... Well, it started in 2016 but the first rumblings of the comedian's biopic started a couple of years before.

So that filled the void left by GB3.

When the movie came out in 2018 things started to look bright again in regards to an official Ghostbusters sequel so I shifted to follow GB3 news again.
RichardLess wrote: September 30th, 2020, 1:46 pmWhy do I bring this up? I had a rather large health scare today. I’ll spare the details but suffice to say, I’m not out of the woods yet. But I’m ok. And of course when something like that happens you think of family & loved ones. Things left unsaid to people you wish were around. But there was a real fear in me that I might miss out on Ghostbusters Afterlife. I don’t know if that’s sad or pathetic, I come face to face with my own mortality and one of the things I think about is a movie lol. But it’s the truth. It was a real worry. I’m still here. Still alive. And March 2021 can’t get here soon enough.
To paraphrase something you said to me a few years back when I was feeling kind of pathetic: Richardless, that's not pathetic at all. Although we can forget it sometimes, probably due to the consumerist aspects of our culture, movies are a form of art. Even blockbusters. (Albeit movies being the rare form of art that makes money.) Anyway, what I'm getting at is this: art has meaning. It's an expression of who we are, and what we desire. Given that you're an active participant on a Ghostbusters fan board, I think it's safe to presume that Ghostbusters has been a meaningful aspect of your life, and so it's only natural that you would want to see Afterlife. It's not pathetic that stories and characters have had a positive impact on your life--that's what they were meant to do. Of course you want to see Ray, Winston, and Peter again.

I hope you get well soon, my friend! :crunch:
Dr.D, Kingpin, robbritton liked this
I don't think there is a person on this forum who doesn't understand that feeling RichardLess. It isn't pathetic or sad. If it is important to you, it doesn't and shouldn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

My older brother introduced Ghostbusters to me at such a young age that I don't remember a time before I knew what Ghostbusters was. We're all here on this site because we all love these movies. Ghostbusters is remembered so fondly because there really is a message that transcends age. As we've all grown older we all find different reasons to keep that feeling alive. Ghostbusters means something special to each and every one of us who've ever strapped on a proton pack, or pretended to be speeding down the highway in the Ecto-1. For all of us who don't just quote the movie, but have worked the dialogue into our everyday vernacular.

Hope you recover quickly dude. And I hope in a few months all of us are safely sitting in a theater, holding back tears of joy as we finally get to see our heroes come back.
Sav C, SpaceBallz, Wafflerobot and 2 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: September 30th, 2020, 1:46 pm So one more time. “God..please. Let me live long enough to see Ghostbusters Afterlife”
If the news is bad and it's a diagnosis that you're not going to survive, I don't think anyone on this site would disagree in picking up the phone and putting in a call over to Ghost Corps. I don't think you or any of us in this community with a terminal end date is going to leave this world without getting that last wish of seeing the film. Also, while any medical health scare is frightening, you shouldn't have that thought towards things. Tomorrow is another day.
Dr.D liked this
910dohead wrote: September 30th, 2020, 7:03 pm
RichardLess wrote: September 30th, 2020, 1:46 pm So one more time. “God..please. Let me live long enough to see Ghostbusters Afterlife”
If the news is bad and it's a diagnosis that you're not going to survive, I don't think anyone on this site would disagree in picking up the phone and putting in a call over to Ghost Corps. I don't think you or any of us in this community with a terminal end date is going to leave this world without getting that last wish of seeing the film. Also, while any medical health scare is frightening, you shouldn't have that thought towards things. Tomorrow is another day.
Worth a try I suppose, but most of the time they only do things like that for dying kids.
That's mostly the reason why I was hoping this would go VOD, with how 2020 has been it wouldn't surprise me if the moon slammed into the Earth next week.
Wafflerobot, groschopf liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: September 30th, 2020, 11:15 pm That's mostly the reason why I was hoping this would go VOD, with how 2020 has been it wouldn't surprise me if the moon slammed into the Earth next week.
I'm right in the middle of summoning some Giants to stop this, but first I have stop this Alien Invasion from taking our cows.

@Richardless: Stay safe, man! My parents had a few healthscares last year and especially my mother is a ticking timebomb. She is a GB fan as well and we would love to see the movie if she can make it. I hope everything is alright by the time you read this, and we can have many future discussions about how great the movie is!
groschopf wrote: October 1st, 2020, 7:20 am
SpaceBallz wrote: September 30th, 2020, 11:15 pm That's mostly the reason why I was hoping this would go VOD, with how 2020 has been it wouldn't surprise me if the moon slammed into the Earth next week.
The Earth getting Mooned would be very on brand for 2020.
I trust Link to take care of it for us.
Alphagaia liked this
RichardLess wrote: September 30th, 2020, 1:46 pmWhenever something big that I want to see happen comes along and I have to wait, I always have this fear that I’m going to die and miss out. It started with LOST. “God, please. Let me live long enough to find out what’s going on with LOST”. Then it was the new Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. “God. Please let me live long enough to see the new Star Wars trilogy”. Next was Game of Thrones. “God please....you get the idea”.
Hey, something you and I have in common! 😉

Feel better, Richard.
So it's October...hopefully we get SOMEthing Afterlife related as a Halloween treat. :)
Sav C, Corey91, SpaceBallz liked this
I'm year late to the party, sorry. I wanted to go into GB3 completely blank, no trailer.

Not gonna happen.

Finally watched it. Been a lifelong fan since I saw GB1 in the cinema way back when aged 7 or so. I resisted this moment for a year because of my lifelong fanboyness though.

The trailer blew me away. Open mouth and tears. Well done to Jason.

Very close to the synopsis I created years ago: Mundane world, Egon's (grand) daughter and Oscar meet, students working together at Cern particle accelerator (Large Hadron Collider), physical constants start to fluctuate in experiments (an impossibility). Scientists can't explain it. Weird things happen.

Together they start to search for a name, a crazy recluse she finds in her deceased grandfather's notes in his basement. Just a name;
Raymond Stantz.

They find Stantz.

At the end Venkman shows up to save the day in an unexpected way.

Yeah it's kind of weird that young kids use the proton packs (low power mode?), and there is the heavy Stranger Things vibe.

And yeah, the "Killer replica" line sounds weird considering Grooberson refers to footage which doesn't even identify the different Ghostbusters, just shows men walking around. So him knowing and recognizing a Ghost trap so vividly would be weird.

So there are come congruence issues, but so what. It feels like it's done with a perfect homage to the original.

And I've learnt that being able to think laterally and connect things across various non connected elements is a trait of useful creative thinking.

Also believe Venkman's "I believe everything happens for a reason", drills right to the core of that character. His whole carefree attitude in GB1 and GB2 that he doesn't care is a charade / self protection and comes from a place of immense strength. Such a beautiful exposition.

He actually cares deeply about these issues. Deeply.

Can't wait for this. Absolutely amazing trailer.
Last edited by One time on October 2nd, 2020, 2:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Rudd's character as a huge GB fan would be great. Maybe he'll have RGB figures on display somewhere in his house.
deadderek liked this
Just throwing in with hoping you can be back in the clear as soon as possible, Richardless. As everyone else here has said, I’m not sure there’s a one of use here that wouldn’t have a similar thought in your position. These stupid old films are the one thing that brought all these disparate folk here together! I hope you get well soon, man.
Robert Zemeckis' remake of The Witches is the newest major film to hop from a theatrical release to a streaming release, with the movie now headed to HBO Max. At a glance, I can't find any information on the film's budget, but unlike Artemis Fowl, I don't think there was concern (yet) that this would be a theatrical bomb (in fact, it's still opening in theaters overseas).

Of course, since Warner Bros. owns HBO Max, the case can be made that this is merely in line with the Disney+ premiere of Mulan, and thus doesn't transform the theatrical-to-VOD conversation. Still, it could be relevant news/a sign of things to come.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... -exclusive

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]