Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
ghoulishfright wrote: October 4th, 2020, 5:46 pm According to this, the largest theater chain in the U.S. (AMC Theatres) is expected to go bankrupt early next year, short of radical change. Not looking good for a March 5, 2021 release...

https://movieweb.com/amc-theatres-running-out-of-money/
Original source (which some may find more trustworthy) is here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ency-warns

The "good" news?
"In its latest report on the exhibition giant, S&P Global argued AMC 'continues to struggle operationally and financially because U.S. attendance remains weak after reopening, additional major theatrical releases are delayed and its cash burn might accelerate now that its theaters are open.'"

"'Given our expectations for a high rate of cash burn, we believe the company will run out of liquidity within the next six months unless it is able to raise additional capital, which we view as unlikely, or attendance levels materially improve,' the agency said."
In other words, the fact that Regal has just thrown in the towel for the time being will allow AMC to do the same. It will be terrible for the employees, but the company as a whole will probably gain time back not having to pay any workers.
ghoulishfright liked this
It's crazy that theaters are even open right now. In fact, they're probably losing money by operating at reduced capacity. Nobody wants to sit in a dark theater with a face mask on for ninety minutes, unable to eat popcorn or snacks; that's a huge appeal of the whole theater experience. Taking away popcorn combined with delaying tentpole movies is basically a guarantee that most theater patrons will stay home until conditions improve; doesn't take an economic genius to figure that one out. The smart thing would be to stay closed. Then again, if a studio was ballsy enough to release a tentpole movie right now, they may find enough people willing to sacrifice the normal theater experience in order to watch a movie they're really excited for (I know I would). Really though, they should just stay closed. Hopefully AMC has the good sense to follow Regal's example.
seekandannoy liked this
Ive worked at several movie theaters back in my late teens and 20s as an usher, cashier, and even a consultant (which is what i was hired for but it was all a rouse to get someone to fill in for miss shifts by teenagers) and i can tell you for a fact that if the major franchise theaters are hurting this bad, forget about any mom and pop run theaters remaining open for this long.

First of all, how are they going to pay the rent alone on these places? Unless somehow they are running a theater on a piece of property they outright own, odds are they are in some ruined down strip mall somewhere being charged extreme prices just to keep their business on the property.

Having worked for both private and corporate theaters, the smaller guys are screwed royally. Imagine having to pay the rent on your business for a year that cant open its doors or generate any kind of revenue what so ever? Forget it

As for the major theater chains, sure they may have some money to weather the storm, even if they are helped out by the studio (as some studios do own theater chains! When i worked for National Amusement, we were owned by Paramount Pictures and it was a mandate that all Paramount films got priority when it came to posters, displays, trailers, etc and even had studio representatives inspecting us to make sure we followed orders) If the studio isn't making money they cant keep the doors open!

This is honestly the perfect storm when it comes to the death of theaters. You cant have large crowds of people in a indoor contained space because of the virus.

You can get the virus within 15 minuets within 6 feet of someone. Your average movie is 90 minuets and your usually sitting within a foot of another person in a indoor space.

Theaters are a breeding ground for the virus! Hell even movies themselves know this. Remember Outbreak? the virus in that movie SPREAD IN A THEATER!

So naturally you got to close all them down. They are a health hazard! (Spoiler alert, they always have been. Users dont usually clean anything more then the ocasional popcorn and soda bag and the theaters themselves only get a decent at best cleaning once they are closed by a overworked underpaid cleaning crew)

So..all that said...everyones saying go digital....(which seems like a built in solution on the surface...if you want to LOSE MONEY)

Heres the deal with that. When you go to a movie, even at a matinee, they are charging you a set price for a show. Say 10 bucks per ticket PER PERSON! (minus a few bucks for children or senior citizens or vets, police officers, etc)

Matinee is usually a reduced price before a certain time...usually around 5-6 in the afternoon then its PRIME TIME baby, 15 bucks average ticket!

But for arguments sake, lets average every ticket at 10 bucks, regardless of age, 3d or standard, etc...

Your average family of 4 pays 40 bucks for matinee on a summer Saturday afternoon! The studios get around 50-80% of that money! (figure 32 dollars for a family of 4) The theater gets the rest to keep its doors open, to pay overhead costs for employees, maintenance, etc...

only after all those are covered, what little there is left over, is profit.

so theaters themselves are running on a very slim profit margine!

Now lets go digital. Everyone can see a movie at home, you pay an upfront fee...everyones happy right?

WRONG!

Say they put out Ghostbusters Afterlife on Digital and charge 30 dollars to own it!

YOUR LOSING MONEY BECAUSE YOU CANT CONTROL HOW MANY PEOPLE ACTUALLY WATCH IT!

You could pay 30 bucks to own the movie, have 20 people over at your house to watch the movie at the same time, and the studio cant profit over any of that.

Thats 20 people paying 10 dollars a ticket at a theater...equals 200 dollars...160 dollars lost to the studio!

They cant tell you who can come over and watch a movie in your house. They cant say "Only 3 people at a time can watch this movie in your own home", how would they be able to en force that!

So naturally, the movies they do put out directly on digital, have to be smaller scale lower budget films! You cant expect to put a 200 million dollar movie directly on digital and expect to generate a profit, let alone cover the cost of the film and the marketing itself!

So thats why i doubt we are going digital anytime soon. The moment the film goes digital, its a sign of sony saying "We're cutting our losses and just want to make what ever we can off this thing...which means no sequel in the future!"

The last movie Answer the call LOST MONEY! 200 million plus dollars. The very idea they made Afterlife in the first place means they really still think the brand can be saved.

You put the movie out on digital, its the final nail in the ghostbusters coffin, because no accountant or investor is going to look at the track record of the last two films in the franchise and see any sort of profit margin what so ever, and say "Na I'll spend my money elseware on a brand that will generate me a profit!"

I hate to be cruel but thats all the studios and their investors care about...generating a profit!

You spend 200 million dollars to shoot a movie, 200 million on marketing, hoping to make OVER A BILLION DOLLARS back!

Thats why when they say a movie bombed even though it made the money it cost to make it back, it still lost money because it did not make enough to cover its marketing and to turn a profit!

thats not what we want with afterlife. The whole goal is to relaunch the brand.
Hairy Biker wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm Just watching the latest Adam Savage video, his loft tour and at about 2 minutes in there is a proton pack which appears to be a GBA pack.

Huh. It's not the Spengler pack -- no rifle grip -- but... huh.

What's the thing on the backpack strap?
For that matter, is there a rat's nest of wires coming off of the Clippard on the pack?
I've seen pics of the Spengler pack (that were quickly taken down) with the "rat's nest of wires" on the clippard valve that appeared to be soldered on. That and the big green cover over extra wire/tubing next to the rainbow ribbon wire were the most noticeable differences, everything else appeared to be the same other than some aging effects. Either Savage is trying to replicate what he saw on his own pack or there are other modified packs.
groschopf liked this
groschopf wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:04 pm What's the thing on the backpack strap?
Looks to be a box with knobs.
groschopf wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:04 pmFor that matter, is there a rat's nest of wires coming off of the Clippard on the pack?
Those wires might be connected to the box with knobs.
Kingpin wrote: October 6th, 2020, 1:18 am
groschopf wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:04 pm What's the thing on the backpack strap?
Looks to be a box with knobs.
groschopf wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:04 pmFor that matter, is there a rat's nest of wires coming off of the Clippard on the pack?
Those wires might be connected to the box with knobs.
Never studied...
groschopf liked this
SOMETHING is being filmed that's Afterlife related.

The only reason I doubt reshoots is because the kid actors would have noticeably aged since they filmed summer of 2019.

Hmmmm....

Prime 1986 wrote:There is something on the motherboard of the Adam Savage Proton Pack.
This Post Contains Spoilers
ImageAdam Savage Afterlife Proton Pack
The thing on the motherboard appears to be a black strap of some kind. My guess is that it's holding the box with the knobs to the pack frame.
Prime 1986 wrote: October 6th, 2020, 6:53 am There is something on the motherboard of the Adam Savage Proton Pack.
ImageAdam Savage Afterlife Proton Pack
Whatever the thing on the motherboard is, it appears to have a USB cable dangling down from it (below the first circle and to the left of the second).

JonXCTrack wrote: October 6th, 2020, 8:06 am
I appreciate that I'm a natural skeptic at times, but
As for the thing on the motherboard, it looks like an X-shaped frame with a pair of flat pieces on the end of the upper two protrusions.
Alphagaia, groschopf liked this
Proton Props UK

That's strange, he gave me an entirely different r[…]

For anyone interested in seeing some of the orig[…]

Did anyone watch it?

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]