By gerard55
Marcus B wrote: October 5th, 2020, 11:33 am
gerard55 wrote: October 5th, 2020, 11:27 am Does Mr Magoo do all the measurements and moulding for Anovos? :-?
What is the issue you are seeing?
Just all the fixing the owner had to do to it, holes not being right etc.
By da_rambler20
thanks for the photos and that is a great idea. I will probably mimic what you have done. I do have a tap and die set so I may have to look into threaded inserts for this as well. what size were you thinking for the wand?
By Marcus B
Wear a good mask that keeps the dust out. Dremeling into the wand created a super fine dust. A ton of it. Do it outside, not even in a garage.. and I I'd put a fan on blowing away from you. The dust gets everywhere. I changed clothes and took a shower because I was just covered with it.

I'm using inserts for 6-32 screws. A warning though. On one of the corners you're very close to the metal disc you screw on. I drilled into it a bit and kind of cracked the inside of the resin as the drill bit moved because of the disc. Easily fixed, but the noise gave me a heart attack. For this one spot, I may skip the threaded insert, fill with milliput and just drill and tap a hole.
By Marcus B
Ran into a roadblock.. the brass broke on a few inserts when trying to screw it in even after threading the hole. So I thought I'd fill and redrill them and try again. I tried to use milliput to fill in the holes, and milliput has always dried very firm before, but this time it's only getting slightly harder than a wax crayon. It just strips right out trying to thread and use the inserts. Maybe it went bad on me?
By Marcus B
Getting near the end of this... well, maybe not THE end, but close enough that I can wear the pack for halloween. GBFans package comes today with banjos and trigger tip and I'll install those with the acrylic tube from Anovos. Electronics are wired up and ready to go, I only need to mount the speaker. I'm waiting to do that as I figure out how to mount the alice frame. I'm extremely nervous about doing that step.. I'm only going to get one real shot at doing it.
By Marcus B
I was able to get the Alice pack frame mounted. Came up with a unique method I think of finding the centerline. I placed tape down near the center so I could see a line better since the motherboard is black. The only real reference for center on a pack is that bottom nub that sticks out, so I found the center of that and taped a piece of red thread in place. I pulled it up to the top tightly, and measured from the top and bottom of power cell side of the motherboard, and once those measurements matched I taped it off at the top. Worked really well! I could move the string out of the way to mark the top hole off and it snapped right back over the center of the X.

I compared it to some reference shots and I believe I got the overall positioning of the frame correct, though the top attachment point may be a bit high. The dimensions of the motherboard/pack, the alice frame and adding the standoffs kind of confuses things when looking at the ref photos. One minute you think you got it just right then you look and you think you got it wrong.

I also got to finish the wand with my GBFans parts
By Sl!mer
I have an Anovos Proton pack as well. Wondering what you used as a power on/off switch? I currently have my battery pack up against the motherboard and drilled a hole for the battery packs switch. Would like to find a better solution as its not an easy switch to turn on.
By Marcus B
Eventually, I'm going to do something along the lines of a "spengler plate", but in the mean time, I've drilled two holes for a charging port and a switch. I opened up my Talentcell battery, clipped the switch off, and wired one of these in that I had laying around: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Ben ... /100141285

I had to extend the cables on it. It's a little big as well.. I would opt to use something different if doing this again and will probably switch it out when I update the pack. Ideally, I'd like a battery on/off, charging port, and because my battery has a usb port and I want to do audio through the line in, both an aux and usb port on the plate.

Truthfully.. I'm in a rush to get this done for Trick or Treat tomorrow and the electronics are a horror show right now.
Sl!mer liked this
By Marcus B
Trick or Treat unfortunately has been moved to Saturday during the day due to rain tonight, so here's a few videos. Nothing you've not seen before, but I still want to show it off :)

gerard55 liked this
By Marcus B
Added Bluetooth audio to the pack. I was getting a high pitched whining noise when I went to do it the first time.. some weird interaction with the battery and the light/sound kit and the bluetooth receiver. Not sure why.. but I got a ground loop isolator on Amazon and that took care of it completely. Now I can just play whatever I want through it.

kahuna900, EnderWeggen liked this
By Marcus B
Halloween is over. The pack was a big success, lots of comments about how great it looks. I still have more to do like a ton of labels need to be placed, and I will probably get some replacements for the Anovos ones eventually. I need to place the instrument bar cover on as well.

For what it's worth, the plastic motherboard held up just fine. It's obviously not ideal, but it's not just some cheap plastic. Anovos says ABS plastic was used on the pack for some parts and I think this is one of them. It's pretty tough, though again, not ideal and I will be looking to replace it at some point.

JWils23, Glenn Frederick, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
By Sl!mer
Marcus B wrote: October 28th, 2020, 12:57 pm Eventually, I'm going to do something along the lines of a "spengler plate", but in the mean time, I've drilled two holes for a charging port and a switch. I opened up my Talentcell battery, clipped the switch off, and wired one of these in that I had laying around: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Ben ... /100141285

Truthfully.. I'm in a rush to get this done for Trick or Treat tomorrow and the electronics are a horror show right now.
Had never heard of a "Spengler Plate" and I think I'm going to do the same thing. My knowledge of electronics is amateur, and a little unsure of opening up my battery. Hopefully I can find a step by step guide somewhere. Looks awesome and hope you had a Happy Halloween!
By da_rambler20
Marcus B wrote: September 27th, 2020, 7:18 am I'm really neglecting this thread, but I'll still share some progress milestones. If anyone has an Anovos pack and is wondering how I did something, feel free to ask. I probably do have a picture of it.

I think the exterior is done. The only thing I'm noticing is the bumper is maybe a little off.. but other than that and weathering which I will do once the pack and gun are built and joined together.. it's done. And as you can see, I've also installed the lighting kit. The crank knob is wired up to control volume as well. Eventually I may move volume control elsewhere on the pack to make it more convenient for me, but I still would've wanted to the crank knob to turn so I needed a potentiometer anyway. It'll do for now and at least it offers exterior control.

Now on to the neutrona wand..

I have a real crank knob. what size pentiometer did you get? Or where did you get it? Thanks!
By Marcus B
da_rambler20 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 12:15 pm I have a real crank knob. what size pentiometer did you get? Or where did you get it? Thanks!
I got it on eBay:
Philmore PC24 10K Ohm Linear Potentiometer, Solder Lug, 24mm with 1/4" D Shaft

It's way too long, but you can cut the shaft with a hacksaw or something easily.
By da_rambler20
Thanks!!!

I have been waiting for my request to join the Anovos group on FB for a week or so now. I saw a lot of your photos among others. Really helped, but I can’t ask any questions on there until my request gets approved.
Marcus B liked this
By Marcus B
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

EnderWeggen wrote: February 14th, 2021, 10:21 am Marcus How did you add Bluetooth to your pack and what type of Bluetooth receiver did you use.
So, first, this is the battery I'm using. It has a built in USB power port:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016B ... UTF8&psc=1

The USB powered bluetooth receiver I'm using is no longer made, but I own this one as well and it's still made and seems to work just fine. I might replace the one in the pack as the one in the pack has a startup jingle that is annoying. This one does make a beep, but it's far less annoying. Note that you hear this immediately even before the GBFans board "boots up". The 3.5mm input jack on the board is live as soon as there is power.
Here is the one I would recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Lastly, I had to get a ground loop isolator to get rid of a buzzing noise. Not sure why this occurs, both USB Bluetooth adapters worked fine in my car. Not sure if the newer bluetooth adapter needs this, but this is what I bought and it got rid of the buzz:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1 ... UTF8&psc=1
By Marcus B
Mat wrote: February 14th, 2021, 2:39 pm It's looking awesome! :-D
Thanks! I just received my dry rub decals from Mack's Factory so I will be applying those soon... and eventually I need to do something about that horrible motherboard and get a proper aluminum one. I guess it's not "horrible", but it's hard to feel secure about it on your back with just that in place.
By Mat
I've never worked with an Anovos kit but I totally get that! When I built my pack I used a rothco alice pack frame and didn't trust the central strut so I replaced it with a piece of 1" x 1/8" steel flat bar! Something else I noticed back when I built my pack was my speakers annoyingly would cause vibration between the shell and aluminum motherboard so I found the trouble area and added a bit of weather stripping. It sounds stupid but yeah.

Every couple years I make changes to my pack and the next thing I want to switch out is the aux input cord for a Bluetooth receiver (Bluetooth is growing on me...don't judge me!) :cool:

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]