Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:34 am With the vaccine news, I'm feeling more optimistic about June. They start rolling out Jan-Mar, that's enough time to begin opening up by Summer.
With everyone all cooped up for so long hopefully Ghostbusters will do gang busters!
mrmichaelt, Kingpin, timeware and 1 others liked this
deadderek wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 1:39 am With everyone all cooped up for so long hopefully Ghostbusters will do gang busters!
That's the dream, isn't it?

Hello sequel, hello spin-off universe, hello Netflix series, hello more toys.

I want Sony to make a Ghostbusters game in the style of Spider-man games they just put out. Use the same map!
deadderek, pizzarat, Sav C liked this
As I said previously, I think the streaming bar is actually relatively low for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. If the movie cost in the $90m range, then they'd be aiming for $270m global as an "in-the-black" success, based on a spend of around $180m (the budget, plus the budget again for marketing). If a streaming service paid $150m flat fee to Sony directly for just the movie as a streaming premiere, with Sony keeping merch money and physical home video rights, I think that would be a pretty big win for them -- they've barely spent on marketing, which presumably the streamer would take over on their behalf. If we used Ghostbusters (2016) numbers for merch and video (which I think most of us are hoping would be a conservative estimate), that could be $200m in profit without having to roll the dice at the box office in the wake of the reboot's tepid reception.

That said, this is all speculative -- at this point, odds are looking good for movie to come out in theaters, barring some unfortunate development with the vaccines.
Last edited by Kingpin on November 23rd, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Sav C, deadderek liked this
To allow tempers to cool and level heads to reassert themselves, I'll be putting this topic on a short-term lock until tomorrow afternoon (unless there's a new bit of Afterlife news that pops up).

Objectively, I don't believe it is possible to fully discuss the resolution of the Covid-19 pandemic without delving into the political response to it... But as recent events in this thread have shown, it is proving the source of too much conflict and derailing the topic.

Although it's a valid subject when discussed constructively, I'm reluctantly asking everyone here to avoid discussing the political response in future to prevent further arguments in this topic. Posts ignoring this request will either be edited, or deleted outright, and suspensions handed out.
Alphagaia, BRD 527, Coover5 liked this
Well as long as no rants get posted we should all be okay.

Happy the thread has re-opened.

So let me ask to get a general consensus here: What do YOU consider a spoiler?

In one of the FB groups I'm in there's some back and forth on it.

For example I feel anything officially released* is fair game to post about, but I've gotten flack from others about it.

*leaked product images don't count
BatDan wrote: November 24th, 2020, 5:36 am So did anyone catch that toy leak?

Shows all the kids with jumpsuits on.

I was trying to show my friend but couldnt find it. I assume it was taken down.
Ghost Corps has made it clear it's a leak of an unreleased product and they don't want it out there. Some of the more dubious FB groups still have it on there.
deadderek wrote: November 24th, 2020, 5:33 am Well as long as no rants get posted we should all be okay.

For example I feel anything officially released* is fair game to post about, but I've gotten flack from others about it.

Trailers and still images are FINE (well... unless it's one of those 'here's the ENTIRE movie in under a minute' trailers). I consider anything that gives away too much of the story a spoiler. For instance, the Afterlife trailer doesn't answer anything big. We have a TON of questions it doesn't answer outright. We can ASSUME certain things and theory craft all day long, but we don't know ANYTHING about how the movie navigates the plot. It's all conjecture and a mystery and I like that.

Had the trailer been all "Gozer's back, Egon is dead, and the Ghostbusters are nothing but a memory! Now, it's up to Ray Stantz to get the remaining Ghostbusters together again and perform a blood sacrifice of Egon's remaining family to sate their old foe from the 80s!" I'd be livid because, boom, right there? That's the plot and you KNOW there'd be key scenes sprinkled into the trailer as well.
deadderek liked this
zeta otaku wrote: November 24th, 2020, 5:50 am
deadderek wrote: November 24th, 2020, 5:33 am Well as long as no rants get posted we should all be okay.

Trailers and still images are FINE (well... unless it's one of those 'here's the ENTIRE movie in under a minute' trailers). I consider anything that gives away too much of the story a spoiler. For instance, the Afterlife trailer doesn't answer anything big. We have a TON of questions it doesn't answer outright. We can ASSUME certain things and theory craft all day long, but we don't know ANYTHING about how the movie navigates the plot. It's all conjecture and a mystery and I like that.

Had the trailer been all "Gozer's back, Egon is dead, and the Ghostbusters are nothing but a memory! Now, it's up to Ray Stantz to get the remaining Ghostbusters together again and perform a blood sacrifice of Egon's remaining family to sate their old foe from the 80s!" I'd be livid because, boom, right there? That's the plot and you KNOW there'd be key scenes sprinkled into the trailer as well.
How would you feel about a giant Ed Koch?

Last edited by Fritz on November 24th, 2020, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed Youtube code
Regarding spoilers, the thread itself is called spoilers, so I'd say anything goes. We can always create a Non Spoilers thread.

That being said, it's hard what someone finds to be a spoiler and what not. Sometimes I put things in spoiler tags that are minor but other find to be huge.

There is always someone disregarding the spoiler tag and just openly talking about it, though.
To be fair when I created this thread it had a different title. One of the admins or mods have changed it twice I believe.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 24th, 2020, 8:02 am If the image is out there is it forbidden to post it in the spoiler thread if we think Ghost Corps disapproves? or share via private message?

If not possible, can those in the know answer a question I have... are these OG khaki jumpsuits, or a different colored variant?

OG
Alphagaia wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:00 am Regarding spoilers, the thread itself is called spoilers, so I'd say anything goes. We can always create a Non Spoilers thread.
On the subject of spoilers, a photo has popped up in a Facebook group, and briefly in the toy speculation thread here showing some of the unreleased figures that are going to be produced by Hasbro. As that image was removed by the poster, it's my belief a representative of Ghost Corps made that request... And in respect of that wish, both the figures photograph and the shot of Bill Murray are embargoed until further notice.
Kingpin wrote: November 24th, 2020, 11:12 am
Alphagaia wrote: November 24th, 2020, 7:00 am Regarding spoilers, the thread itself is called spoilers, so I'd say anything goes. We can always create a Non Spoilers thread.
On the subject of spoilers, a photo has popped up in a Facebook group, and briefly in the toy speculation thread here showing some of the unreleased figures that are going to be produced by Hasbro. As that image was removed by the poster, it's my belief a representative of Ghost Corps made that request... And in respect of that wish, both the figures photograph and the shot of Bill Murray are embargoed until further notice.
While I'm fine with that, it's just so strange a line to draw. I mean we are openly discussing those points by talking about the shot of Bill Murray and what is on the toy package.

Isn't that just as 'bad'?
Alphagaia wrote: November 24th, 2020, 11:32 amit's just so strange a line to draw. I mean we are openly discussing those points by talking about the shot of Bill Murray and what is on the toy package.
I think it's a case that while unfortunate the cat's out of the bag, it's less easy to spread as text than as an easily-sharable image... It's kinda bad, but not as bad, if that makes sense?

Given both the images have been requested taken down, I think Sony/Ghost Corps is keen for the images not to show up anymore. If they're not keen on it being openly discussed, then I'm happy to expand the embargo if they ask me to... But until then, I'm happy to just make the images off limits.

I guess also, if someone's skimming through the thread, it's easier to miss a reference to the content of the photos than it is to miss the photos themselves.
How much faith do you put into the accuracy of toys to give insight into the film?

I know the plasma series aims to be accurate but what about the lego set? Will the Ecto in the film share the toy's trap door feature? Will there be some sort of blaster attached to the roof of the Ecto like the Fright Features Ecto? The role play proton pack has different attachments. Will we see those in the film or are they just for fun?

Tell me what you think.
The Ecto-1 having a literal trapdoor is to on point for me not to be true.
It's just perfect.
The second sliding seat I'm pretty sure about. LEGO could have just as easily not made that second seat move. Since it's connected to the movement of the trapdoor (and the seat has a sticker with RTV next to it) I'm positive those are connected.
Well there are aspects that yes can get spoiled by a toy leak. What leaked definitely "happens" in the film.

I can tell you 100% Ghost Corps doesn't want that photo all over, and it's irritating to see so many people on various FB groups think that it's "not a big deal we guessed it anyways".

Sadly these days so many people are so impatient and feel "entitled" to spreading leaks around.
Kingpin liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 24th, 2020, 11:32 amit's just so strange a line to draw. I mean we are openly discussing those points by talking about the shot of Bill Murray and what is on the toy package.
Eh, it's more interesting this way. I don't want to talk about Bill suiting up again, I want to see it! Right now, there's suspense, with me trying to picture it in my mind.

(Btw, I'm not trying to solicit for the photo or anything, that would spoil the anticipation, which is more fun at this point given that the movie is still a ways away.)
Coover5 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 1:41 pm How much faith do you put into the accuracy of toys to give insight into the film?

I know the plasma series aims to be accurate but what about the lego set?
LEGO can be hit and miss with it's tie-in sets depending on what's supplied to them by the filmmakers.

The various Marvel sets have been pretty far-out... But their Ecto-1 and Ecto-2 set for Answer the Call did reveal Kevin would get possessed before the trailers confirmed it.

However, with Jason's production wanting to keep things under wraps, any smaller sets beyond the Ecto-1 may be more generic.

However, the trap release mechanism in Wrecto-1 is shared by both the LEGO and Plasma toy, and there does appear to be a "trap door" visible in the screen-used Wrecto prop when Jason was showing off the toy at Pulse Con.
Alphagaia wrote: November 24th, 2020, 1:54 pm The second sliding seat I'm pretty sure about. LEGO could have just as easily not made that second seat move. Since it's connected to the movement of the trapdoor (and the seat has a sticker with RTV next to it) I'm positive those are connected.
I'm not convinced the other seat slides. I can easily be wrong, but I don't think the other one being built to move makes as much sense as the gunner seat - two moving seats feels too gimmicky compared to one on its own.
deadderek wrote: November 24th, 2020, 1:58 pmand it's irritating to see so many people on various FB groups think that it's "not a big deal we guessed it anyways".
Agreed. It may've been a reasonably safe guess, but what's the harm in just waiting? What's more awesome? Seeing a spoiler photo taken out of context, or seeing the scene as it's meant to be presented?
Well... let's see what the evidence shows about the sliding chair hypothesis.

Here's the Wreckto-1 from an elevation view of the passenger side. Note the position of the chair in question, all the way to left, close to the tech equipment in the rear of the vehicle:

And here's the same angle during Jason's presentation. Note the chair is appears to be in dead center in the back door, not blocking the door jamb as it was in the previous shot:

Here's a shot someone snapped of the interior (sorry for the lack of attribution... I'm not sure where this is from any more). Note that it is even closer to the oscilloscope than it was in the trailer screencap:

Without having an apples-to-apples shot of the suicide door open, it's difficult to verify. If someone else has a photo that proves or disproves this hypothesis, by all means, slap that sucker up here.

But it does appear that the chair may move. It might not move in the dramatic fashion that the gunner's seat moves, it does look like it can slide forward and back.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]