Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
groschopf wrote: November 24th, 2020, 6:31 pm Well... let's see what the evidence shows about the sliding chair hypothesis.

Here's the Wreckto-1 from an elevation view of the passenger side. Note the position of the chair in question, all the way to left, close to the tech equipment in the rear of the vehicle:

And here's the same angle during Jason's presentation. Note the chair is appears to be in dead center in the back door, not blocking the door jamb as it was in the previous shot:

Here's a shot someone snapped of the interior (sorry for the lack of attribution... I'm not sure where this is from any more). Note that it is even closer to the oscilloscope than it was in the trailer screencap:

Without having an apples-to-apples shot of the suicide door open, it's difficult to verify. If someone else has a photo that proves or disproves this hypothesis, by all means, slap that sucker up here.

But it does appear that the chair may move. It might not move in the dramatic fashion that the gunner's seat moves, it does look like it can slide forward and back.
I can confirm, based off images shared with me in confidentiality, the other jump seat is moveable.
groschopf wrote: November 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm Put another, pithier way:

But good eye!
groschopf wrote: November 24th, 2020, 6:31 pm And here's the same angle during Jason's presentation. Note the chair is appears to be in dead center in the back door, not blocking the door jamb as it was in the previous shot:
The Hasbro Pulse video. Where Jason just to happened to hint the gunner seat was just the start of new features for Ecto-1 in Afterlife. ;) I guess we know what's in trailer #2. I definitely think we'll see the RTV deployment and/or 'operator' chair in it.
Alphagaia, groschopf liked this
Warning: this post is long.

This subforum and this thread in particular are the main reasons I registered as I simply can't bear the anticipation anymore and I need to share my thoughts and feelings with like-minded. That said and having read through almost all of the thread I found it rather sad to see so many off-topic discussions spreading over pages and pages. It almost kept me from posting what you are about to read (or skip, whatever you like). But I can't resist.

First of all: Wonder Woman 84 is now at three proper trailers, yet we are still left with the same footage for almost a year. That's really harsh. I can fully understand every leak at this point, it's just too much waiting time we had to bear. But what do we get? Even pictures of toys with the kids (at least Phoebe) in GB suits are considered a no-go spoiler? Please. This is a joke. Everyone has enough fantasy to picture them donning suits already. She uses the freakin pack, they're driving around in the Ecto hunting a ghost. They ARE (or will become) Ghostbusters. Simple matter of fact, suits or not. Doesn't matter AT ALL.

Second: I can't believe GB3 is actually, really happening. Personally I would have loved to see a "Ghostbusters, Inc." sequel at some point in the 90s. Imagine the sheer fun of Egon having to deal with half of MIT trying to improve the proton pack and other ghost busting equipment. Ray inspecting rows and rows of Ecto derivatives. Big missed opportunity. A different aspect: we never got to understand why ghosts even exist in their world. What is the reason, what are their motives, what drives them to remain in this form in our world? The premise of "ghost exists, we catch them" is a bit flat-although very entertaining.

Third: Here's the full Lego building instructions pdf for the Afterlife Ecto-1: https://www.lego.com/cdn/product-assets ... 328108.pdf
Enjoy gazing at the new photos in best quality!

As for plot speculation. Oh yeah. I watched the trailer(s) so many times, over and over. BTW has noone ever cut the extra footage from the international trailer into the standard trailer? Haven't seen an "extended" one done yet.
One thing that struck me after (many times) watching Phoebe discover Egon's lab/bunker was that it reminded me of grandkids discovering their granddad was a veteran or served in the military. I'm a vet myself and it was an interesting thought and comparison. Many don't or simply can't talk about what they've seen or experienced, still they keep medals, uniforms, and other memorabilia tucked away, often times in an old chest or crate. Curious grandkids discover it and with it their history, often too late to ask questions about it personally, just left with things they might not be able to grasp the importance of.

Another thought. So far, the movie works with the events of GB2 never happening. As a fan of GB2 I would find it sad but could understand if they would skip it. Frankly, we haven't seen a single piece of evidence that ties the movie to both prequels. Remember the alternate takes the Reitmans presented at fanfest 2019? All GB1. We haven't seen a slime blower part. The Ecto-1 carries its original license plate. And it IS the Ecto-1, slightly modified. Callie's age wouldn't fit at all if Egon had founded a family after GB2. Is she just a one-night-stand by-product? That would ruin Egon's reputation and image don't you think? "Duh, Grooberson said no ghost sightings for 30 years". He might just be generalizing a lot. Don't take that line to literal. It's a movie, they're bound to be inaccurate when it comes to continuity. I might just be wrong, totally utterly wrong. (I hope so, I love GB2). But I think it's possible.

In my humble opinion we have two possibilities of timelines leading up to the events of Afterlife/Legacy. Based on both Ghostbusters movies it's established that ghost events only happen tied to major comings aka apocalypse and similar.
1)
GB1-Afterlife timeline: After the events of the Manhattan crossrip the Ghostbusters get a major taste of "plausible deniability". All the public has seen is major explosion of 55 Central Park West, cause unknown, in the event severely disrupting a big promo action for Stay Puft Marshmallows. Random reports of ghost sightings throughout the town are quickly dismissed, the involvement of the Ghostbusters downplayed in a series of law suits. Public opinion turns against the guys in khaki, then attention simply vanishes (regional event, impact downplayed, not greatly covered...). Peter turns his back on the business, Winston probably turns to other employers as well. Egon and Ray however are still struck by their encounter with Gozer and realize they have barely scratched the surface. In secret they track down Ivor Shandor's life, eventually stumbling upon Summerville and the mines. They discover the secret of the mines [Alternative version: they use the mines to store what is left of the (or a rebuild) containment unit?]. Both decide to "stand guard" as long as possible and study their enemy, improving their equipment and techniques. However, they might have a falling out and Ray leaves Egon behind for unknown reasons. He keeps up his studies until...(?)

Pros: leaves enough room for Egon to have a love affair with Janine rather than some unknown student he falls for briefly. Explains the state of the Ecto-1 and the reason for the hidden lab/bunker.
Cons: erases GB2.

2)
GB1-GB2-Video Game-Afterlife timeline: Why the video game you may ask? I consider it canon, it gave the most plausible reason for the very existence of the river of slime. However I break it down taking only the most basic story plots from it: Gozer cult, Shandor island, mandalas.
So, after the boys were sued out of business, battled Vigo and saved the next century they finally discovered that the Gozerian cult was not erased. On the contrary it caused the events of GB2, waking a different force of evil than expected. Their victory over Shandor however kicks them out of business as the major ghost activity dies down significantly. No franchises are ever established (sorry Rookie!). Egon and Ray, analyzing the events, realize that the Gozerian cult and whatever Shandor has left behind in this world still cause the biggest threat to mankind (at least from a spiritual pov) and decide to track down all remnants of Shandor, eventually discovering Summerville and the mines. As Ecto-1 had been beyond repair in the short time between the court room battle and them establishing business again, Ray had bought a second 59 Cadillac which became Ecto-1A. With more time at hand Ray is able to repair Ecto-1 and both decide to head out and establish base there, leaving Peter and Winston behind in New York with Ecto-1A/B. As the ghost bustin business is going nowhere anymore, both turn to other occupations, still reminded that the call for action might come one day. Egon and Ray secretly build up a base in Summerville, discover the secret of the town and the mines, however time (or events) lead to Ray leaving (maybe or going into hiding) and Egon left behind until he passes away (or whatever causes his absence :( ).

Pros: GB2 fits in, video game fits in, explains Ecto-1A absence so far and Egon solely keeping guard.
Cons: When does Egon establish family? Who is Callie's mother? Why are the Ghostbusters forgotten by the public? Why is the Ecto-1 in a slighty modified 1984 state, now with five seats?

I can't wait until we get the answers to our questions. I hope that Jason Reitman didn't just pay attention to GB1 (and 2 hopefully). From what I've seen, this will be a kick-ass Ghostbusters movie, the one I longed for. Passing the torch. A new generation. Yes have some? Yes have some!
deadderek liked this
Ecto24601 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:45 pm Warning: this post is long.

This subforum and this thread in particular are the main reasons I registered as I simply can't bear the anticipation anymore and I need to share my thoughts and feelings with like-minded. That said and having read through almost all of the thread I found it rather sad to see so many off-topic discussions spreading over pages and pages. It almost kept me from posting what you are about to read (or skip, whatever you like). But I can't resist.

First of all: Wonder Woman 84 is now at three proper trailers, yet we are still left with the same footage for almost a year. That's really harsh. I can fully understand every leak at this point, it's just too much waiting time we had to bear. But what do we get? Even pictures of toys with the kids (at least Phoebe) in GB suits are considered a no-go spoiler? Please. This is a joke. Everyone has enough fantasy to picture them donning suits already. She uses the freakin pack, they're driving around in the Ecto hunting a ghost. They ARE (or will become) Ghostbusters. Simple matter of fact, suits or not. Doesn't matter AT ALL.

Second: I can't believe GB3 is actually, really happening. Personally I would have loved to see a "Ghostbusters, Inc." sequel at some point in the 90s. Imagine the sheer fun of Egon having to deal with half of MIT trying to improve the proton pack and other ghost busting equipment. Ray inspecting rows and rows of Ecto derivatives. Big missed opportunity. A different aspect: we never got to understand why ghosts even exist in their world. What is the reason, what are their motives, what drives them to remain in this form in our world? The premise of "ghost exists, we catch them" is a bit flat-although very entertaining.

Third: Here's the full Lego building instructions pdf for the Afterlife Ecto-1: https://www.lego.com/cdn/product-assets ... 328108.pdf
Enjoy gazing at the new photos in best quality!

As for plot speculation. Oh yeah. I watched the trailer(s) so many times, over and over. BTW has noone ever cut the extra footage from the international trailer into the standard trailer? Haven't seen an "extended" one done yet.
One thing that struck me after (many times) watching Phoebe discover Egon's lab/bunker was that it reminded me of grandkids discovering their granddad was a veteran or served in the military. I'm a vet myself and it was an interesting thought and comparison. Many don't or simply can't talk about what they've seen or experienced, still they keep medals, uniforms, and other memorabilia tucked away, often times in an old chest or crate. Curious grandkids discover it and with it their history, often too late to ask questions about it personally, just left with things they might not be able to grasp the importance of.

Another thought. So far, the movie works with the events of GB2 never happening. As a fan of GB2 I would find it sad but could understand if they would skip it. Frankly, we haven't seen a single piece of evidence that ties the movie to both prequels. Remember the alternate takes the Reitmans presented at fanfest 2019? All GB1. We haven't seen a slime blower part. The Ecto-1 carries its original license plate. And it IS the Ecto-1, slightly modified. Callie's age wouldn't fit at all if Egon had founded a family after GB2. Is she just a one-night-stand by-product? That would ruin Egon's reputation and image don't you think? "Duh, Grooberson said no ghost sightings for 30 years". He might just be generalizing a lot. Don't take that line to literal. It's a movie, they're bound to be inaccurate when it comes to continuity. I might just be wrong, totally utterly wrong. (I hope so, I love GB2). But I think it's possible.

In my humble opinion we have two possibilities of timelines leading up to the events of Afterlife/Legacy. Based on both Ghostbusters movies it's established that ghost events only happen tied to major comings aka apocalypse and similar.
1)
GB1-Afterlife timeline: After the events of the Manhattan crossrip the Ghostbusters get a major taste of "plausible deniability". All the public has seen is major explosion of 55 Central Park West, cause unknown, in the event severely disrupting a big promo action for Stay Puft Marshmallows. Random reports of ghost sightings throughout the town are quickly dismissed, the involvement of the Ghostbusters downplayed in a series of law suits. Public opinion turns against the guys in khaki, then attention simply vanishes (regional event, impact downplayed, not greatly covered...). Peter turns his back on the business, Winston probably turns to other employers as well. Egon and Ray however are still struck by their encounter with Gozer and realize they have barely scratched the surface. In secret they track down Ivor Shandor's life, eventually stumbling upon Summerville and the mines. They discover the secret of the mines [Alternative version: they use the mines to store what is left of the (or a rebuild) containment unit?]. Both decide to "stand guard" as long as possible and study their enemy, improving their equipment and techniques. However, they might have a falling out and Ray leaves Egon behind for unknown reasons. He keeps up his studies until...(?)

Pros: leaves enough room for Egon to have a love affair with Janine rather than some unknown student he falls for briefly. Explains the state of the Ecto-1 and the reason for the hidden lab/bunker.
Cons: erases GB2.

2)
GB1-GB2-Video Game-Afterlife timeline: Why the video game you may ask? I consider it canon, it gave the most plausible reason for the very existence of the river of slime. However I break it down taking only the most basic story plots from it: Gozer cult, Shandor island, mandalas.
So, after the boys were sued out of business, battled Vigo and saved the next century they finally discovered that the Gozerian cult was not erased. On the contrary it caused the events of GB2, waking a different force of evil than expected. Their victory over Shandor however kicks them out of business as the major ghost activity dies down significantly. No franchises are ever established (sorry Rookie!). Egon and Ray, analyzing the events, realize that the Gozerian cult and whatever Shandor has left behind in this world still cause the biggest threat to mankind (at least from a spiritual pov) and decide to track down all remnants of Shandor, eventually discovering Summerville and the mines. As Ecto-1 had been beyond repair in the short time between the court room battle and them establishing business again, Ray had bought a second 59 Cadillac which became Ecto-1A. With more time at hand Ray is able to repair Ecto-1 and both decide to head out and establish base there, leaving Peter and Winston behind in New York with Ecto-1A/B. As the ghost bustin business is going nowhere anymore, both turn to other occupations, still reminded that the call for action might come one day. Egon and Ray secretly build up a base in Summerville, discover the secret of the town and the mines, however time (or events) lead to Ray leaving (maybe or going into hiding) and Egon left behind until he passes away (or whatever causes his absence :( ).

Pros: GB2 fits in, video game fits in, explains Ecto-1A absence so far and Egon solely keeping guard.
Cons: When does Egon establish family? Who is Callie's mother? Why are the Ghostbusters forgotten by the public? Why is the Ecto-1 in a slighty modified 1984 state, now with five seats?

I can't wait until we get the answers to our questions. I hope that Jason Reitman didn't just pay attention to GB1 (and 2 hopefully). From what I've seen, this will be a kick-ass Ghostbusters movie, the one I longed for. Passing the torch. A new generation. Yes have some? Yes have some!
Well one thing I was wondering was what if Callie isn't the one that is related to Egon. What if the one that was related to Egon was Callie's Husband. We don't know if Phoebe and Trevor's father's absense is because of divorce or if he somehow passed away off screen. I am personally hoping that Callie IS Egon's daughter, but the film can go any direction at this point and IF she is Egon's daughter I wouldn't worry too much about her age. Actors play characters different from theor true age all the time. Look at all the actors in their late 20s that still pass themselves off as teenagers in teen dramas. Kind of like what you said about Grooberson's 30 years line being more of a generalization than literal. ;)

You are right though getting these answers once the movie is released is going to be very fun and satisfying and like you I think this movie is really shaping up to be one hell of a legacy picture. :):):)
Davideverona wrote: November 25th, 2020, 2:49 pm Callie IS Egon's daughter.

Several articles stated that she inherited the farm from her father.
You were first!

About two days before last year's trailer, there was an article provided with new photos and official information. It stated Callie is the daughter.
All we know about Egon is what happened in the movies but that's just three hours of lifetime. If Carrie Coon's age is any indicator, she could be born before the events of the first movie. Maybe even Egon didn't knew about her at that time. There are countless possibilities without destroying Egon's reputation.
Alphagaia, Davideverona, groschopf and 1 others liked this
I'm leaning towards the following premise:

Before the events of Ghostbusters (1984) Egon met a soul mate (maybe with a little help by Peter) they had a relationship but then Egon became more interested in science and more introvert. They amicably parted ways, then the lady found out she was pregnant but choose not to tell Egon and raise the baby by herself.

Sometimes before Egon's death he found out (or Callie found out about him) and tried to reconnect.

Knowing he's been a Ghostbuster, Callie choose to not tell anything to her children,thinking it was dangerous to be involved with the paranormal. Or maybe she is non believer.
Timo, Corey91 liked this
Davideverona wrote: November 25th, 2020, 3:11 pm I'm leaning towards the following premise:

Before the events of Ghostbusters (1984) Egon met a soul mate (maybe with a little help by Peter) they had a relationship but then Egon became more interested in science and more introvert. They amicably parted ways, then the lady found out she was pregnant but choose not to tell Egon and raise the baby by herself.

Sometimes before Egon's death he found out (or Callie found out about him) and tried to reconnect.

Knowing he's been a Ghostbuster, Callie choose to not tell anything to her children,thinking it was dangerous to be involved with the paranormal. Or maybe she is non believer.
Love that idea.
Ecto24601 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:45 pmI found it rather sad to see so many off-topic discussions spreading over pages and pages.
It's unfortunate, but the alternative was to lock the thread entirely to keep it "pure"... And as frustrating as it can be, I feel allowing some leeway with off-topic discussion has helped to keep people sane these past several months.
Ecto24601 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:45 pmEven pictures of toys with the kids (at least Phoebe) in GB suits are considered a no-go spoiler? Please. This is a joke. Everyone has enough fantasy to picture them donning suits already. She uses the freakin pack, they're driving around in the Ecto hunting a ghost. They ARE (or will become) Ghostbusters. Simple matter of fact, suits or not. Doesn't matter AT ALL.
It doesn't matter if it seems unfair or a joke. This site exists via Ghost Corps/Sony's grace, and if there's content for Afterlife they want taken down from public consumption, this site isn't currently in the position to refuse. :whatever:
Ecto24601 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 1:45 pmAnother thought. So far, the movie works with the events of GB2 never happening.
The only things that suggest Ghostbusters II didn't happen are the car being in its Ecto-1 configuration, and the "nobody's seen a ghost in 30 years remark"... And even then I don't feel those are all that watertight. I think it'd be a mistake (and not one Jason would make) to erase Ghostbusters II from canon. I believe the GBI-centric iconography over anything from GBII is simply due to the first film being the one most fondly remembered.

I suspect that when we get into the meat proper of the movie, there'll be plenty of love for GBII as well... It is the film Jason had a prominent cameo in, after all.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
Wouldn't surprise me if we get to see a clip of that while the kid's are in Ant Man's classroom.

It would be fairly simple to make wrecto clean through CGI.

They could use younger stand in's as stunt doubles and do a quick top down shot of the vehicle zapping ghosts. Heck, I'd love to see ecto from GBII with the gunner seat installed.
Dr.D wrote: November 25th, 2020, 5:40 pm So...do we think we will see the OGs use the gunner seat in the finale?
That would be really awesome. As far as the other poster's comments about GBII, the AMC splash-page for Afterlife stated that this movie would reveal a connection between the events of the first two movies. That's super exciting.
deadderek liked this
As much as I hate to mention movies that aren't GB: Afterlife, since we never know what the future might hold for a theatrical release of the movie, I see Netflix just offered $200 million for the new Godzilla vs King Kong movie to skip theaters, which WarnerMedia blocked because they're planning to counter offer.

Don't worry. I won't bring this stuff up every time a streaming service offers money for a movie, lol. I just hope I get to see Afterlife in theaters and my eye is kind of fixed on movies possibly going straight to streaming right now.
Kalonthar wrote: November 25th, 2020, 7:37 pm As much as I hate to mention movies that aren't GB: Afterlife, since we never know what the future might hold for a theatrical release of the movie, I see Netflix just offered $200 million for the new Godzilla vs King Kong movie to skip theaters, which WarnerMedia blocked because they're planning to counter offer.

Don't worry. I won't bring this stuff up every time a streaming service offers money for a movie, lol. I just hope I get to see Afterlife in theaters and my eye is kind of fixed on movies possibly going straight to streaming right now.
I think a concurrent digital/theater release like the new Bill & Ted is definitely a possibility.
Kalonthar wrote: November 25th, 2020, 7:37 pm As much as I hate to mention movies that aren't GB: Afterlife, since we never know what the future might hold for a theatrical release of the movie, I see Netflix just offered $200 million for the new Godzilla vs King Kong movie to skip theaters, which WarnerMedia blocked because they're planning to counter offer.

The thing about the Godzilla franchise is they know they must release theatrically because the Chinese box office is a large component of their profits. They can't skip theaters and go digital. It would be catastrophic.
deadderek, Dr.D, robbritton liked this
As someone who's GB fandom is only rivaled by their Godzilla fandom, it must be pointed out that I do not think WB has the same faith in this movie as Sony might have with GB:A. The last Godzilla movie didn't exactly show up at the box office. Godzilla vs Kong has gone through heavy heavy reshoots, some of which delayed the movie pre-Covid. I think there is a very real chance they are afraid of a very costly bomb and could be looking to streaming as a way of somewhat hedging their bets.
deadderek liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 26th, 2020, 12:39 pm The only reason that package is still pending is because it will feature Mini Pufts floating in milk.
I do like how outside of the fandom the Mini Pufts aren't even known yet really.

So far the first official look we've had is the "activity" pages released by one of the cinema chains, and then that Australian magazine.

The only other pic I know of is the ad the marshmallow company yoinked.

Hmmm. 20 bucks says we see them in the next trailer.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]