Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
The first shipment of a Covid vaccine came in to the USA yesterday.

Obviously it will be some time before most are able to get one, but this is absolutely a happy and positive step in the right direction as so far the USA response has been dismal at best.

I seriously think we're gonna be able to hold the June date for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I really do.

After being pent up for so long I feel even the "straights" as Venkman calls them will show up in droves.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
Dr.D wrote: November 29th, 2020, 10:08 am I am a firm believer in the paranormal. But I also work in television.

I wouldn't believe a single thing on any of those shows. Real paranormal investigation is more often that not very dull, very tedious, and very inconclusive. Debunking should be the goal of every real investigator. Too easy to write things off as supernatural in nature when that what you're trying to look for, and it diminishes any integrity there could be had in trying to scientifically study paranormal phenomena.
Fascinating. It surprises me so many of you are believers. Interesting.

If you believe in the serious scientific study of the paranormal it surprises me you are a “firm believer”. Not a single reputable study has shown a modicum of evidence for what my own personal hero, James Randi(RiP) called “flim flammary”. But what does paranormal even mean? Does it include UFOs? If so...then sure I’m a “firm believer”. But if we are talking about Ghosts, Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, goblins, Vampires, psychics, telekinesis full trans medium the lochness monster and the theory of Atlantis?...Yeah that’s a big “no”.

I wish I could believe. But I think ghosts are about as real as Orcs. If anything paranormal did exist the James Randi million dollar prize would’ve been claimed decades ago. Some tried to claim it. All failed the test protocols. You’d think if psychics & telekinesis or ghosts were real it would be the easiest million ever made. Somehow whenever they are put in a laboratory setting their abilities miraculously fail them. How inconvenient.
Alphagaia, Dr.D, groschopf and 1 others liked this
deadderek wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:33 am Once again Richardless being a voice of reason amongst the crazies.
Which is funny because I started calling Richardless a False Prophet in my mind for missing his predictions about big things happening soon.

I'm only half serious on that one, folks.

On the other (flip?) side, there are many, many, MANY people believing the world was made in six days and all that religious stuff, so I'm not that surprised that there are also people believing in ghosts and stuff.
I'm not one of them, though.
Well now, I'm not some looney playing with a parker brothers game. Do I think there's spooky ghosts out there in every haunted house? Hell no. I apply Occam's Razor to all of it.

What I do believe is that there are things beyond our current science or understanding. I also think that the idea of something paranormal is just that, beyond normal. But I also think that science has done very little in terms of trying to look at paranormal phenomena. I think that if any such phenomena exists, it's going to take more specialized equipment to accurately record and observe. I think most of paranormal investigation is alot of snake oil salesmen who wanna crawl around someone house in the dark with a digital recorder and try to decipher words from static. It's a pseudoscience for sure, with very little credibility. I think that even if any of this stuff were real, the practices of most of these "investigators" are useless. How could we possibly think this kind of activity could be so easily documented or observed?

I think about all the measurable phenomena around us that requires specialized equipment. Like radiation, which would for sure seem like something evil and demonic from the outside if we didn't understand it. But it's something we also realize requires specialized equipment to measure and record it. I think the very concept of paranormal activity precludes the use of most modern technology because it wasn't designed with this in mind. I think the way most people study the paranormal is like looking blindfolded through a keyhole. For us to assume that any of this kind of activity can be so easily observed is ridiculous. We assume our scientific knowledge has grown to a point where nothing can be hidden from us, but we are still discovering things about the very planet we live on. We know more about the moon than we do about the deep depths of our oceans.

So do I believe that there are things out there beyond our current understanding that would fall under the blanket term of paranormal? Of course, but that belief comes from personal experiences. I have seen strange things that I cannot explain. Do I think they were all demons or ghosts? No, because that's silly. But I've seen enough to not discount everything. I just think at this point in time we are still in our infancy in terms of study because I don't believe we can even begin to know how to really look at these events from a true scientific standpoint.
Last edited by Dr.D on November 30th, 2020, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:46 am
deadderek wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:33 am Once again Richardless being a voice of reason amongst the crazies.
Which is funny because I started calling Richardless a False Prophet in my mind for missing his predictions about big things happening soon.

I'm only half serious on that one, folks.

On the other (flip?) side, there are many, many, MANY people believing the world was made in six days and all that religious stuff, so I'm not that surprised that there are also people believing in ghosts and stuff.
I'm not one of them, though.
In my defence I was the first to give an indication that the new movie had the Egon’s daughter angle. So I’m like 1 for (counts in head) 3. But that was less of a prediction and more of “I know that’s a thing” so I guess I’m...(counts in head) 0 for 3.

Shit.

I suck.
Dr.D, Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: November 30th, 2020, 7:29 am
Dr.D wrote: November 29th, 2020, 10:08 am I am a firm believer in the paranormal. But I also work in television.

I wouldn't believe a single thing on any of those shows. Real paranormal investigation is more often that not very dull, very tedious, and very inconclusive. Debunking should be the goal of every real investigator. Too easy to write things off as supernatural in nature when that what you're trying to look for, and it diminishes any integrity there could be had in trying to scientifically study paranormal phenomena.

If you believe in the serious scientific study of the paranormal it surprises me you are a “firm believer”. Not a single reputable study has shown a modicum of evidence for what my own personal hero, James Randi(RiP) called “flim flammary”. But what does paranormal even mean? Does it include UFOs? If so...then sure I’m a “firm believer”. But if we are talking about Ghosts, Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, goblins, Vampires, psychics, telekinesis full trans medium the lochness monster and the theory of Atlantis?...Yeah that’s a big “no”.

I wish I could believe. But I think ghosts are about as real as Orcs. If anything paranormal did exist the James Randi million dollar prize would’ve been claimed decades ago. Some tried to claim it. All failed the test protocols. You’d think if psychics & telekinesis or ghosts were real it would be the easiest million ever made. Somehow whenever they are put in a laboratory setting their abilities miraculously fail them. How inconvenient.
Atlantis may have been discovered or at least the inspiration for it. You should check out the eye of sahara.

There are renderings of what it would look like as Atlantis. Even if it isn't it's still a beautiful sight to see. It's on my list of places to visit. It is fairly close to Plato's description.
deadderek wrote: November 30th, 2020, 5:38 am The first shipment of a Covid vaccine came in to the USA yesterday.

Obviously it will be some time before most are able to get one, but this is absolutely a happy and positive step in the right direction as so far the USA response has been dismal at best.

I seriously think we're gonna be able to hold the June date for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I really do.

After being pent up for so long I feel even the "straights" as Venkman calls them will show up in droves.
That's great!!! Just saw in the news that Moderna declared a 94% effectiveness in the third phase. The FDA will do a meeting on December 17th to give the authorisation to distribute the vaccine in the USA starting December 24th.

Europe will follow shortly.
deadderek liked this
I'm fingers crossed we get some sort of "Christmas gift".

Even a couple of new stills would be nice.
Sav C liked this

Being a paranormal investigator is almost always a lose-lose situation. If you find incredible evidence you have skeptics call you a charlatan and/or you edited the video. If you don't find evidence then you get hit with the obvious "See, told ya." But, if you feel so inclined for some entertainment, check out this clip from our Hinsdale House investigation documentary we're putting together.

deadderek wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:35 pm I'm fingers crossed we get some sort of "Christmas gift".

Even a couple of new stills would be nice.
At my most optimistic, I'm hoping for a "1 year anniversary" of the first trailer with the second trailer. Now, the first trailer came out on Monday, December 9, 2019. So I'm hoping either Monday December 7 or Wednesday December 9.

Another thing to consider is CCXP is December 3 to December 6 and is all virtual I believe. I'm curious to see if Sony will participate in that one since in recent years it's become a standard venue to visit to hype a movie. So far I think Monster Hunter, Snake Eyes, Suicide Squad, and Invincible have been confirmed so far.
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
With lack of toy commercials i'm not seeing a new trailer coming out but it would be nice.

We are getting some new product just not the Ghostbusters christmas items one would expect. Ornaments, wrapping paper, maybe some stockings or advent calenders.

If your'e counting the barn trailer that would mean three trailers if they push out a new one. I wouldn't expect to see the originals in it though. Maybe with the trailer towards the actual release date. I do see new shots of the remote trap since they like to dangle it over us with a fish hook!
Well, the barn trailer was a teaser, so I'm not counting it as a proper trailer.

They had two trailers ready in May and one of them was titled "Pass the Proton Pack".

I think that in the next one we'll see something that remind us the originals. I don't know: all the flightsuits, Callie holding a photo of Egon, some scribbled notes with the Ray signature at the end.
pizzarat liked this
Alphagaia wrote:We did see the originals in the first trailer, right?

Granted, it was in a brief grainy YouTube video, but you saw them? Not sure why we need a photo or a signature. What would be the purpose?
I think the second trailer will be more of Grooberson explaining who the Ghostbusters were and what happened in 1984. That's about it. I doubt we see the surviving members of the original team.
Davideverona wrote: December 1st, 2020, 11:48 am Phoebe: "but... What happened to them after they battled Vigo?"

Grooberson: "Well, they tried to do a third movie for years, but Peter kept vetoing it"
Do people even know about Vigo?
I mean, people saw the Slimed Museum, Lady Liberty and many ghosts, but the master mind never showed himself like Gozer did as Stay Puft, right?

Now that we are talking movies, any big event in human history gets (multiple) movies. Are there GB movies in the GB universe, just like in the cartoon? I mean, the song is canon...
Alphagaia wrote:Do people even know about Vigo?

I mean, people saw the Slimed Museum, Lady Liberty and many ghosts, but the master mind never showed himself like Gozer did as Stay Puft, right?

Now that we are talking movies, any big event in human history gets (multiple) movies. Are there GB movies in the GB universe, just like in the cartoon? I mean, the song is canon...
Well, aside from the museum employees, that's an interesting point. Only the restoration department knew about the Vigo painting being taken out of storage but only Janosz, the Ghostbusters, Dana, and Oscar saw Vigo in ghost form in and/or out the painting. But given how everyone's loving the Ghostbusters by that point, they probably would have believed them about a ghost in a painting causing all the mayhem if they told the news reporters that. Or would they play ball with Mayor Lenny and downplay certain facts as a favor? Could be an outcome like in the IDW comics, in theory the City & County could have simply used Janosz as the scapegoat (easier to do all that ensuing paperwork if the perp was a human being), have him plead insanity, put him away in the funny farm, and toss the key into the East River. Case closed. So yeah, I think it all depends on what the Ghostbusters told the press in the case of GB2's big bad.

Sidenote, I was curious if the River of Slime also went inert and dusted or did it keep on going. Technically, the slime shell was a construct beholden to Vigo's defeat. And Ghostbusters and C&C took reporters down to the river for a live spot (and great PR) as the sewer crew pumps all the slime out for disposal per Egon's instructions. And/or did the GBs keep some or all of it off-site from the Firehouse, converted it to positive charge, and kept it safely stored for further use with the Slime Blowers?
SpaceBallz wrote: November 30th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Being a paranormal investigator is almost always a lose-lose situation. If you find incredible evidence you have skeptics call you a charlatan and/or you edited the video. If you don't find evidence then you get hit with the obvious "See, told ya." But, if you feel so inclined for some entertainment, check out this clip from our Hinsdale House investigation documentary we're putting together.

Yes. That was highly entertaining. The subtitles are especially hilarious. Lol “growling”.

Do you know why people don’t trust paranormal investigators? Because of that footage you just showed me. The ambient music or sounds that they put in to add atmosphere. The sudden jump cut with a loud sound effect to frighten people. It’s all to try and fool people into thinking what they are seeing is a paranormal encounter. My favourite was the pixelated shadow IR image. That was *chefs kiss* the coup de grace. Instead of “Well as human beings we have evolved over millions of years to see shapes & patterns(like human faces, human outlines etc) and that’s all this is” but no. It’s LOUD NOISE, JUMP CUT & look at this spooky shape we have highlighted for you.

There are a million and 1 plausible explanations for everything in that video clip before paranormal should even be an idea in someone’s head.

I’m a firm believer in Occam’s Razor. Which basically boils down to “all things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually the right one”. It’s fun believing in the unknown. It’s partly why conspiracy theories are so popular. They offer a fantastic, other worldly choice than the boring old real world. Once upon a time we use to think lightning & thunder were caused by a God named Zeus. Until we realized the science behind it. Positive and negative charged regions equalized and produce an electro static explosion. Not as fun as a god named Zeus is it? We like to think we as humans are special and that this all means something more than “you are here to procreate & die”. Ghosts offer something we can latch onto as an idea of life after death. They offer explanations of the spooky sounds houses make, things we would see in the dark before electricity. They bolster the idea of Judeo-Christian theology being correct.

Psychics, mediums and ghost hunters have done far more harm to society than helped. Theyve ripped people off and prey on the emotions of people in despair, usually to line their own pockets. If it weren’t for that I’d say it’s all just harmless fun and nothing to take too seriously. Shows like “Ghost Adventures/Hunters” or “Long Island Medium” have taken critical thinking amongst the populace backwards.

I’m waiting for the ghost equivalent of the Tic Tac UFO video footage. Until then...no.

But by god it would be cool. So very, very cool.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]